PDA

View Full Version : try tamim in place of mehrab

BangladeshFan
February 4, 2007, 11:03 AM
once again mehrab jnr made 12 with SR 42% and you can be rest assured he is the slowest of all. why persist with this tortoise when we have supposedly a hardhitter in tamim in the squad? Bd selectors need a wakeup call, wasting deliveries is not a sign of good batsmanship, it can be if someone can make up by scoring quickly later in the innings and make a big score. mehrab is unable to make a big score and the best he can do is to finish with SR 50% that too against this zimbo attack.

i hope some selectors or DW reading the thread though it is highly unlikely. :hairpull:

Aritro
February 4, 2007, 11:17 AM
It's probably too late to throw Tamim to the wolves at the World Cup.

I have to say, however, that Mehrab could prove to be quite a liability at the World Cup. I'm all for our openers taking a cautious approach at the beginning of an innings, and Mehrab is certainly better equipped technically for that role than Javed Omar ever was, but it's getting to a point where we could fall too far behind the 8-ball to recover later in the innings against a strong team.

Farhad
February 4, 2007, 11:26 AM
Im actually with this one.....I think Tamim should be given a try in the next match.

sar2005
February 4, 2007, 11:44 AM
Jr. is defnitely talented and hope time will prove that. But for the moement, it feel like we have imported a younger and left-handed version of JO. I hope I am wrong.

shamster
February 4, 2007, 12:04 PM
Yes I agree too - Tamim should be given a go. If he plays all guns blazing then we need an anchor man which Mehrab failed to do.

shujan
February 4, 2007, 12:09 PM
Please do not underestimate a need for a batsman who can hold it for you. It may look like he is wasting balls, in reality you may need the grafter against India and srilanka just to bat 50 overs.

Farhad
February 4, 2007, 12:44 PM
Please do not underestimate a need for a batsman who can hold it for you. It may look like he is wasting balls, in reality you may need the grafter against India and srilanka just to bat 50 overs.

Yeah, and he did a great job batting for 50 overs in this match against a team like zimbabwe

cricketboy
February 4, 2007, 01:06 PM
Jr. is defnitely talented and hope time will prove that. But for the moement, it feel like we have imported a younger and left-handed version of JO. I hope I am wrong.

:-D Mehrab is lucky. If it was any other international team except Bangladesh and Zimbabwe he would have been out of the team after failing 2-3 matches.. We have given him 7 chances if I am not wrong and thats a lot. Time for Tamim.

layperson
February 4, 2007, 01:21 PM
I am all for playing Tamim in the rest of the matches. People say that tamim is inexperienced and hence should not be tried before the world cup. So are they trying to say that mehrab is experienced and we should stick to him? How absurd. Both are inexperienced and we have nothing to lose if we try out tamim. In fact we have all to gain. If tamim can perform well then we will be better equipped for the world cup. If you people want to stick to experience then mehrab should also not be in the WC squad and instead we should bring back Javed omar !!!!!!!! I say tamim must play in place of mehrab and if he performs we should take him to the world cup.

shujan
February 4, 2007, 02:08 PM
I am all for playing Tamim in the rest of the matches. People say that tamim is inexperienced and hence should not be tried before the world cup. So are they trying to say that mehrab is experienced and we should stick to him? How absurd. Both are inexperienced and we have nothing to lose if we try out tamim. In fact we have all to gain. If tamim can perform well then we will be better equipped for the world cup. If you people want to stick to experience then mehrab should also not be in the WC squad and instead we should bring back Javed omar !!!!!!!! I say tamim must play in place of mehrab and if he performs we should take him to the world cup.

Tamim should get a chance to prove himself. Hopefully it happens soon. In wc I truly like Javed over Mehrab and Tamim. Javed has just scored a century in domestic leage. His batting is back in form. Javed also has experience against India and Srilanka. He does very good against subcontinent team. In worldcup opener my choices are SN and JO. :onethephone:

sunniath
February 4, 2007, 02:14 PM
all players will probably get a chance.let us win the first two games and secure the series.then the management can rotate players.

capslock
February 4, 2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I have to say I was initially excited by Mehrab, but he has had enough chances to prove himself, and it's not even like he gets to big scores slowly, he just eats up balls and get out in the teens or the twenties at the most, and this is against the weakest test margin; might as well give Tamim a try.

sadi
February 4, 2007, 04:27 PM
Both Mehrab and Tamim hasn't played against any quality opposition. So when someone says how does Mehrab is better than Tamim in terms of experience, ofcourse they have a point. However, Mehrab played a lot of games for the A team and also have experience touring England and Australia for the age group if I am not mistaken. For me, it is quite a hard decision to make. In one hand, I want to see explosive strokeplay from Tamim who can give us a great start. On the other hand, eventhough Mehrab didn't score big in any of his games, he always had a decent opening partnership with Nafees and they seem to play well together and give us a decent start. When playing against a quality opposition, you need to have a good start to create an upset. So, if I were the selectors, I would give Mehrab one more game and then try Tamim for the last two games. Lets see what they can offer and then judge.

layperson
February 4, 2007, 04:36 PM
Both Mehrab and Tamim hasn't played against any quality opposition. So when someone says how does Mehrab is better than Tamim in terms of experience, ofcourse they have a point. However, Mehrab played a lot of games for the A team and also have experience touring England and Australia for the age group if I am not mistaken. For me, it is quite a hard decision to make. In one hand, I want to see explosive strokeplay from Tamim who can give us a great start. On the other hand, eventhough Mehrab didn't score big in any of his games, he always had a decent opening partnership with Nafees and they seem to play well together and give us a decent start. When playing against a quality opposition, you need to have a good start to create an upset. So, if I were the selectors, I would give Mehrab one more game and then try Tamim for the last two games. Lets see what they can offer and then judge.

I am the only "someone" who had pointed that out i think. So I am taking your post as a reply to mine.
First of all you are right when you say that mehrab had experience playing in the A team and age group cricket. Well so has Tamim, because that is were they both come from. :) As far as I know Tamim and Mehrab are both novices when it comes to experience. Mehrab has already had 8 ODI matches to play and he has shown that he is good at eating up balls. Scoring slowly does not make someone a good batsman. If he has trouble scoring against weak bowling of ZIM and Scotland then he would sturggle more against the other test team attacks. Also he is not scoring big while playing slow so you cannot say he is anchoring the batting. There is no way one ca justify his position in the team other than the fact that his predecessor was worse than him. However that is not a good justification when you have better players waiting in the wings. I am not saying Tamim wil be better than Mehrab or more successful but I want to give himchance in all the other ODI's and see his performance against this ZIm attack. Then BD will be in a better position to make a decision about their WC opening pair. I would rather go in the WC with Javed Omar than Mehrab jnr.

sadi
February 4, 2007, 04:49 PM
I am the only "someone" who had pointed that out i think. So I am taking your post as a reply to mine.
First of all you are right when you say that mehrab had experience playing in the A team and age group cricket. Well so has Tamim, because that is were they both come from. :) As far as I know Tamim and Mehrab are both novices when it comes to experience. Mehrab has already had 8 ODI matches to play and he has shown that he is good at eating up balls. Scoring slowly does not make someone a good batsman. If he has trouble scoring against weak bowling of ZIM and Scotland then he would sturggle more against the other test team attacks. Also he is not scoring big while playing slow so you cannot say he is anchoring the batting. There is no way one ca justify his position in the team other than the fact that his predecessor was worse than him. However that is not a good justification when you have better players waiting in the wings. I am not saying Tamim wil be better than Mehrab or more successful but I want to give himchance in all the other ODI's and see his performance against this ZIm attack. Then BD will be in a better position to make a decision about their WC opening pair. I would rather go in the WC with Javed Omar than Mehrab jnr.

I guess you and I agree that Tamim should get some chances and then we can decide who to go with in the World cup. Mehrab will have no advantage over Tamim in terms of Odi experience however, I do not agree when you say they ahve similar age group experience. Mehrab has been playing for age group long before Tamim and has more experience. Tamim played 12 first class and 7 List A games while Mehrab played 22 first class and 27 List A games. While Tamim has a List A average of 17, Mehrab's average is 34.

Again, I totally agree that Tamim is more explosive player than Mehrab and can give us a flying start. But he is way too unexperienced and hasn't proved just yet how good can he be. Sure he can get some chances to display his talents and potential but till he do that, Mehrab will be the choice. About Javed Omar, well no comment. You are entitled to have your opinion, but I strongly disagree.

ialbd
February 4, 2007, 05:02 PM
not worried abt Tamim getting a chance in this series, cuz with the talent Tamim has he can be in the national team in the future for sure,

I am more worried abt Mehrab Jr, I always get a feeling that its a Javed Omar in the making...... com'on Mehrab prove me wrong....

layperson
February 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
I guess you and I agree that Tamim should get some chances and then we can decide who to go with in the World cup. Mehrab will have no advantage over Tamim in terms of Odi experience however, I do not agree when you say they ahve similar age group experience. Mehrab has been playing for age group long before Tamim and has more experience. Tamim played 12 first class and 7 List A games while Mehrab played 22 first class and 27 List A games. While Tamim has a List A average of 17, Mehrab's average is 34.

Again, I totally agree that Tamim is more explosive player than Mehrab and can give us a flying start. But he is way too unexperienced and hasn't proved just yet how good can he be. Sure he can get some chances to display his talents and potential but till he do that, Mehrab will be the choice. About Javed Omar, well no comment. You are entitled to have your opinion, but I strongly disagree.

See that is where I have a problem. You seem to be supporting mehrab for the opening slot but my question is based on what ? I do not see any difference between him and Javed omar excpet that mehrab has a better technique. The only reason we had good starts in the opening partnerships is because SN has had a good run with the bat and mehrab was there to eat up the balls while SN was scoring the runs. The stats are therefore decieving. I dont think it would make any difference if JO was at the other end with Sn scoring majority of the runs. SN is himself a cautious player and is not the most aggressive opener. He can play as our anchor and we need someone in the other end who is more aggressive and can give us a good start. Since Tamim is in the squad now I would have him play instead of mehrab. I dont think mehrab should even be in the team for the WC. He needs to imrpove a lot if he has to play in ODIs for bangladesh. When I mention JO it is not because I want him back but to show how "high" I think of Mehrab. To me we have just replaced one bad opener(JO) with a younger version(MHJ) of him.

Thunder
February 4, 2007, 05:35 PM
Since Mehrab jr. is introduced to the opening slot, we didn't have a single digit opening partnership for the last 5 or 6 games.

Although Mehrab jr. is more like a junior version of javed omar, the main difference is he is consistant! Although he made only 12 but played 28 balls and he should not be judged by one single innings.

kaisermatin
February 4, 2007, 08:34 PM
keep mehrab on the crease. we have tested too much of ashraful. may be tamim can replace him for the zimbawbe tour. 22 from ashraful is disgraceful.

SMHasan
February 4, 2007, 08:54 PM
I believe Tamim will get couple of chances in this series which might be useful to watch him. So let's wait.

sadi
February 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
If something is not broken, don't fix it. Who is getting the most runs out of the opening partnership is least of my concern as long as we get a decent opening partnership most of the time. Batting is all about building partnership and Nafees and Mehrab just seems to work together better. Ofcourse we can use a hit or miss opener like Tamim and it might be quite exciting to some of you but consistency in the top order matters. After a long time, we got an opening pair who are giving us decent opening partnership all most every single time (I know its against Zim but still) and I would go with them as long as they keep doing it.

layperson
February 4, 2007, 11:26 PM
Sadi I understand what you are saying but this is being reactive rather than being proactive. I already mentioned the reasons for the recent good opening stands. It was SN's form rather than the batting partnership of the openers. I think if JO was there the stats would be similar because SN was going through a purple patch. I think we can get a better opening pair by changing mehrab. Not suggesting that Tamim will be the one but since he is there I want to try him out in all the matches.
If he does well then the batting will be stronger for the WC. I am definitely not happy with mehrab's batting in ODI's. He had enough chances to show if his abilities and he has played the same slow way in all the ODI's and the most worrying factor is he had trouble with the weakest attacks in world cricket.

Farhad
February 4, 2007, 11:35 PM
Since Mehrab jr. is introduced to the opening slot, we didn't have a single digit opening partnership for the last 5 or 6 games.

I dont think we're bad enough yet to be happy about not scoring a single digit partnership against a team lower than us.....Im telling you guys, your running out of arguments for not trying out tamim, ofcourse, Mehrabs dismal performance against the zimbos helped. What i still dont get is how in the world Mehrab has these many fans, hes played all his matches against Zimbabwe & Scotland, and hes got an average of 25, which isnt too bad, but considering the opposition, it aint too good either.....Tamims avg is 43. Now, im gonna head off any potential argument about the number of first class matches hes played compared with Mehrabs by pointing out that hes already scored more half centuries in half the matches. They also both played against scotland, and we all know the enormous differences between their performances against them.

Yes, I know im picking at straws, but im sleepy....Lets see, let me find something else, right, In 8 matches, Mehrabs gone past 20 3 times!!

cricket_king
February 5, 2007, 12:01 AM
If something is not broken, don't fix it. Who is getting the most runs out of the opening partnership is least of my concern as long as we get a decent opening partnership most of the time. Batting is all about building partnership and Nafees and Mehrab just seems to work together better. Ofcourse we can use a hit or miss opener like Tamim and it might be quite exciting to some of you but consistency in the top order matters. After a long time, we got an opening pair who are giving us decent opening partnership all most every single time (I know its against Zim but still) and I would go with them as long as they keep doing it.

Mate c'mon! World cup's coming up and we have the tournament's slowest batsman. Yes he's been giving us good starts and keeping the new ball away from the middle order. But he will just end up eating balls and putting more pressure on nafees come quality opposition. We're all in excited moods after beating zimbabwe. Let's face it.......by playing with mehrab in the opening slot, WE WILL NOT WIN AGAINST INDIA OR SRI LANKA.

I definitely agree with trying tamim out. He is going to be one of the key players if we are to upset either sri lanka or india.

shovon13
February 5, 2007, 03:27 AM
See that is where I have a problem. You seem to be supporting mehrab for the opening slot but my question is based on what ? I do not see any difference between him and Javed omar excpet that mehrab has a better technique.

you answered your own question right there. mehrab is the better choice between jr. and jo because mehrab has better technique. thats what you need to have a chance against the top teams. which is why i think mehrab is about to become the staple of our test team, replacing jo. as far as this series is concerned, i'm on the bandwagon for starting tamim. both sadi and shahriyar already explained why we should go with tamim. mehrab hasn't done anything spectacular, and tamim deserves a chance. if he fits in, it'll give us a top-order able to produce at a high rate. we have sakib, bashar, ashraful, and mushfiqur rahim to follow aftab in case of any collapses. all four of those guys are innings-builders, able to play a long inning (although the last two haven't proved their worth too many times yet). a top-order of tamim, nafees, and aftab is not too shabby, since both nafees and aftab have already been successful against elite teams (bar the inconsistency). we need all 3 of them to have a chance to score 280+ against india or srilanka.

cricket_pagol
February 5, 2007, 03:54 AM
I am not sure if one or two good performance by Tanim would justify his inclusion in the world cup team. Anyways, I think Tanim should be given a chance and if he bats well in all the games then he has a strong case for inclusion into the world cup team.

Looking back at the last tour, we could sense that sakib and farhad are solid batsmen based on their performance. Their shot selection was much better than that of other players like Aftab. If Tanim plays like Aftab, then I would not like to have him in the team.

cricket_king
February 5, 2007, 04:47 AM
I am not sure if one or two good performance by Tanim would justify his inclusion in the world cup team. Anyways, I think Tanim should be given a chance and if he bats well in all the games then he has a strong case for inclusion into the world cup team.

Looking back at the last tour, we could sense that sakib and farhad are solid batsmen based on their performance. Their shot selection was much better than that of other players like Aftab. If Tanim plays like Aftab, then I would not like to have him in the team.

Firstly dude, his name is spelt TAMIM.
Secondly, i think if he does play well in the few matches he gets he should be selected ahead of mehrab because mehrab has done basically nothing for me to choose a good start over a fantastic start.

Sam
February 5, 2007, 08:56 AM
Tamim is going to get a chance for sure.
Firstly, it is a promise by the BCB (thinktank or/and selectors) that everybody from this team will get chance in rotation.
Secondly, it's high time to try Tamim, to see what he is made of. Whether he is good only in his own backyard or equally well in allien conditions.
Last, I believe that the selectors are not that happy with MH Jr. for ODIs. Although for Test he can be a good contender for openning spot.

sadi
February 5, 2007, 09:53 AM
The only question remains, are we going to make the same mistakes again by picking up a youngster with almost no experience for such an important tour as world cup? Lets say Tamim plays two games and in one of the game, he makes a quick 50. What happens now? Do we go with him in the first match in the world cup? Do we really think someone with 2 odi and 7 List A game experience will win us a game against teams like India or Srilanka? I don't think so. If we need to win those games, our middle order has to score runs. Experienced ones like Aftab, Bashar and Ash need to score big. For that to happen, we need a solid opening partnership and I would rather take a slow steady start.

Kabir
February 5, 2007, 10:07 AM
Agreed with Sadi. The thing is, exceptions are there...but only once in a thousand. And I don't think that BD has reached the maturity level where we can say "oh this guy did well, lets use him". That will come to the BD side not before another 5 to 7 years (unfortunately). And for that to happen, our selectors have to stop being childish and let the current team mature.

akabir77
February 5, 2007, 10:18 AM
Ok here whats going on with jR. i THINK...

He is in the team as a grafter. And he is told to get custom to that even if we r playing week team. Remember if he can't hold him self from making stoke shots against week team he won't be able to do so against the big teams either... as you always hear bad ball is a bad ball... anyway my point is he is told to do grafting againts all teams and he is doing just that and for that (playing acording to the plan) he will not be dropped. where as people who wants to play tamim yeah he might score big runs against zimbo's but what will happen aginst the big teams? we were almost all out against zimbo weak team the other day...

So i think that's why he is still there though i don't like it either and I am all for tamim to be tried out but I am ok with the plan too cause we have 4/5 storke players in the team and only two grafters...

sadi
February 5, 2007, 10:23 AM
Agreed with Sadi. The thing is, exceptions are there...but only once in a thousand. And I don't think that BD has reached the maturity level where we can say "oh this guy did well, lets use him". That will come to the BD side not before another 5 to 7 years (unfortunately). And for that to happen, our selectors have to stop being childish and let the current team mature.

Thanks Kabir. There is a saying in American football which most of you may already know and that is "The most popular player in the town is always seem to be the backup quarterback". In Bangladesh, the most popular player seems to be the next one coming up on the pipeline who we always think to be our savior. We should learn from our previous mistakes and go slow this time. Tamim has some talent no doubt but let him work hard for his debut.

Mohiul
February 5, 2007, 10:25 AM
Patience mate, patience. I don't support replacing someone in a hurry as it may spoil talents. Think about what happened to Tushar Imran. He was given chances but everytime only for one or two matches only, never in a consistence manner.

If nothing bad happened to one of our openers, which I never hoped for(may Allah bless our openers), I won't opt for replacing with Tamim.

roaring tigerz
February 5, 2007, 10:55 AM
I wholeheartedly disagree! Mehrab was not selected for his ability to blast 4s and 6s in every other ball. Notwithstanding the quality of opposition, when was the last time our openers survived 15 overs unscathed in consecutive matches? Mehrab hasn't set the world on fire, but he is a very good player. He has performed remarkably well at every representative level and deserves his spot. Our team has enough aggressive blasters, who have been tried and failed at the top of the order. He brings a lot to the table besides his batting abilities. He is a great fielder and also a usefull spinner(in my opinion, better thank Sakib).
Mehrabs needs work before he is a finished article. But we will soon find out that the same applies to Tamim. I am all for trying out Tamim and making them compete for the opening position. But giving the final death sentence Mehrab is both premature and short sighted.

Fazal
February 5, 2007, 12:03 PM

He is in the team as a grafter. And he is told to get custom to that even if we r playing week team. Remember if he can't hold him self from making stoke shots against week team he won't be able to do so against the big teams either... as you always hear bad ball is a bad ball... anyway my point is he is told to do grafting againts all teams and he is doing just that and for that (playing acording to the plan) he will not be dropped. where as people who wants to play tamim yeah he might score big runs against zimbo's but what will happen aginst the big teams? we were almost all out against zimbo weak team the other day...

So i think that's why he is still there though i don't like it either and I am all for tamim to be tried out but I am ok with the plan too cause we have 4/5 storke players in the team and only two grafters...

You explaind it so well my friend. Addressed all the key points. Whether we like it or not, Mehrab Jr is doing exactly what he is asked to do by the team management. He is keeping them happy. And that's why he will survive in the team ebven with his super slow SR.

bdbazar_com
February 5, 2007, 03:50 PM
I think Akram khan(DOHS) mentioned 2ice about mehrab, they lost a match because mehrab was too slow. we need to use first 15 overs and we need someone who can at least hit quick 20-30

Sam
February 5, 2007, 03:50 PM
Tamim is not playing in the 2nd ODI. Tapash Baishya has replaced M. Sharif as the 12th man in the final squad of 12. Probably he also will not get any chance. BD may not change the winning combination in the crucial 2nd ODI. If BD win it, then there will be some changes for experiment.

bdbazar_com
February 5, 2007, 03:58 PM
I think this series they can try Mehrab for 2-3 matches, he is telented no doubt but he would be a good test opener

Farhad
February 5, 2007, 04:18 PM
No matter what.....I think the selectors made a huge mistake choosing Mehrab so early........His inclusion was early, Tamims is long overdue....Lets see what Mehrab can do in this match....and the next one....and the one after that....The thing is, even though slow, hes inconsistent, he might make a 30 in three matches, and thats it. Hes the slower (MUCH slower) form of Ashraful....If they dont give Tamim anyh chances in this series, we'll have no replacement for Mehrab once he fails in the WC....And trust me, I know he will, although i hope im wrong.

sadi
February 5, 2007, 04:30 PM
I think the selectors made a huge mistake choosing Mehrab so early........His inclusion was early, Tamims is long overdue

Really? What makes you say that? If Mehrab's inclusion is early, Tamim's inclusion is super early. Mehrab has been performing in the age level way before Tamim started playing for age group.

If they dont give Tamim anyh chances in this series, we'll have no replacement for Mehrab once he fails in the WC

And you think giving Tamim a match or two will make the replacement issue solved? I rather give exposure to the one who is supposed to do the business in world cup than working on the replacement issue. Australia can afford to do that, we cant.

The thing is, even though slow, hes inconsistent, he might make a 30 in three matches, and thats it.

Just like I said before, maybe he will make a slow 30 or maybe even less but what he will give us is a solid opening partnership. I rather have 40 for no loss after the first ten overs than taking a chance to have 60/2. Nafees is capable of scoring quick and you know when Aftab arrives, run will flow. I rather get someone who has the potential to have one side occupied for a while.

akabir77
February 5, 2007, 04:45 PM
Really? What makes you say that? If Mehrab's inclusion is early, Tamim's inclusion is super early. Mehrab has been performing in the age level way before Tamim started playing for age group.

And you think giving Tamim a match or two will make the replacement issue solved? I rather give exposure to the one who is supposed to do the business in world cup than working on the replacement issue. Australia can afford to do that, we cant.

Just like I said before, maybe he will make a slow 30 or maybe even less but what he will give us is a solid opening partnership. I rather have 40 for no loss after the first ten overs than taking a chance to have 60/2. Nafees is capable of scoring quick and you know when Aftab arrives, run will flow. I rather get someone who has the potential to have one side occupied for a while.

Good answers...

People r trying to replace player just becuse they don't fit their own mind frame.. The game is not called basball its cricket and we need proper technique players with the ones who will take the chances...

Farhad
February 5, 2007, 05:10 PM

Thats just it......He'll score a slow thirty against a team like Zimbabwe once in three matches.

As for Mehrabs not-so-rash inclusion, do u know how many First Class matches he played before he got selected the first time???

I didnt think so. You'll check now, thats for sure

Honestly, i have absolutely no idea what basis your unwavering support of Mehrab stands upon....What in the world did he do that justifies it?? Oh well, i guess ill just have to respect that and reserve further judgment until the next match......Believe me, in terms of international experience, he's not that far ahead from Tamim, all of his matches were against Scotland and Zimbabwe. Tamims already played against Scotland, did far better might i add, and he should get a chance to prove his superiority in this series, cuz trust me, Mehrab is gonna fail big time against the big guns. We know equally much about these two players against the top 8. Nothing. The opposition Mehrab will face in the WC is in a completely different league from the competition he's faced up until now

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 5, 2007, 05:33 PM
one of the main reasons for including mehrab is because he is used as a sixth bowler. if we had tamim then we would loose that opportunity. in that case we needed someone like farhad who could take that sixth bowlers role. but unfortunately we dont have him in the team.

Farhad
February 5, 2007, 05:34 PM
one of the main reasons for including mehrab is because he is used as a sixth bowler. if we had tamim then we would loose that opportunity. in that case we needed someone like farhad who could take that sixth bowlers role. but unfortunately we dont have him in the team.

Thats true.....

sadi
February 5, 2007, 05:35 PM
As for Mehrabs not-so-rash inclusion, do u know how many First Class matches he played before he got selected the first time???

I didnt think so. You'll check now, thats for sure

How about you check some of my previous posts in this thread? You will surely know we have already talked about Mehrab's experience. :)

Farhad
February 5, 2007, 05:44 PM
How about you check some of my previous posts in this thread? You will surely know we have already talked about Mehrab's experience. :)

You mean this?

I guess i should have been more clear. I meant before he got his first chance, before the selectors rushed him into the side. We can all just check StatsGuru now and find out hes played 22 games now, again, im talking about BEFORE his first game, how many did he play then? The fact remains that he wasnt too experienced either when he got picked even if he had played 22 games back then, which is the reason i say the selectors were too hasty in choosing him. Probably thought he would turn out to be like the other Mehrab

sadi
February 5, 2007, 07:15 PM
I guess i should have been more clear. I meant before he got his first chance, before the selectors rushed him into the side. We can all just check StatsGuru now and find out hes played 22 games now, again, im talking about BEFORE his first game, how many did he play then? The fact remains that he wasnt too experienced either when he got picked even if he had played 22 games back then, which is the reason i say the selectors were too hasty in choosing him. Probably thought he would turn out to be like the other Mehrab

Eventhough he had more experience than Tamim when he had his debut, you think the selectors were too hasty and he was very unexperienced. But still you are willing to do the same mistakes with Tamim right before the world cup. Thats my point. Its too late now for experiment and too early for Tamim to play for Bangladesh. Mehrab-Nafees pair is working okay, not great. So lets keep it that way till we find someone who has a little more experience (maybe tamim in another year or so, maybe junaed) and have room to grow. Sorry if I wasnt too clear to you. I think I have made my point clear enough. Lets just hope whoever opens do well.

Farhad
February 5, 2007, 07:40 PM
Eventhough he had more experience than Tamim when he had his debut, you think the selectors were too hasty and he was very unexperienced. But still you are willing to do the same mistakes with Tamim right before the world cup. Thats my point. Its too late now for experiment and too early for Tamim to play for Bangladesh. Mehrab-Nafees pair is working okay, not great. So lets keep it that way till we find someone who has a little more experience (maybe tamim in another year or so, maybe junaed) and have room to grow. Sorry if I wasnt too clear to you. I think I have made my point clear enough. Lets just hope whoever opens do well.

I get exactly what your saying......I thought it over myself.....But the thing is, Mehrab hasnt really played against quality opposition either and we would be experimenting almost just as much choosing him too. We have absolutely no idea how he'll fare against quality opposition. We can try JO if we want proper experience....

Spitfire_x86
February 5, 2007, 09:19 PM
Just stop thinking that our next tournament is "World Cup". In reality it's just a meaningless single round quadrangular tournament for us. Then everything will become easy :)

Why not try moving forward? Neither Mehrab or Tamim can win the WC for us. But in Tamim we may find a better ODI opener.

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 09:20 PM
i agree also with sadi...

mehrab should get one more chance and if he fails, bring in tamim for the final 2 games. however, i strongly believe that tamim will be a poor man's virender sehwag. a dumb semi-slogger. tamim can be good, no doubt, but at present i think he is at least 2 years away from anything mentionable on the international level.

back in 2004 when nazmul hossain got drafted i was like "wtf...this kid will get killed"
i was presently surprised at how economical and wicket taking he was. but just a year later, he was rubbish. i have a feeling that TI might impress us all now, but what will he be like in 6 months time? bearing in mind nazmul started off with all the top dogs of world cricket (WI, SA, NZ, India).

if we win tonight, no problems with experimenting and giving tamim a go...he might be able to murder zimbabwe. but i don't want him in the WC squad for sure.

sadi
February 5, 2007, 09:44 PM
Just stop thinking that our next tournament is "World Cup". In reality it's just a meaningless single round quadrangular tournament for us. Then everything will become easy :)

Why not try moving forward? Neither Mehrab or Tamim can win the WC for us. But in Tamim we may find a better ODI opener.

It is not a meaningless tournament for us. The whole world will be watching us after a long time and see how we progressed after a year or so. Its not another series with Zimbabwe that noone cares. It is world cup and no matter how much you try to disregard it, it remains the biggest show of cricket. If you don't do well here, we will push ourselves another year or two behind.

Finding an unexperienced slogger won't give us a better chance to win a odi game. In order for us to be a force, we need to find a balanced team. We already have way too many strokeplayers. What we need is some grafters who can hold things together.

incredible
February 5, 2007, 10:15 PM
Sadi bhai ..
i understand ur concerns...but how r u treating mehrab jr as experienced? he just played less than 10 ODi's..that's no experience ...JO hoile experince er obhab chilo na..we need someone who will give us a start...whatmore once told... we don't have stars in the team..so pura team er shobay ke contribute korte hobe jitte hole.. first ei jodi amra pichaye jaai ... pore onno pressure pore...am not sayin tamim would be a good choice too..kew kichui jane na tar bapare.. dhakar premium league e onekei khelto run korto international e shobay dhora khay..but tamim should get a chance..and if he proves it in last 2 games agains zim ...then that should be enough to pick him over someone who played few more games ...and experince for him is playing against zim and scotland and 1 game each with SL and WI

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR align=right bgColor=#cccccc height=17><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>class</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> mat</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> inns</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> no</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> runs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> hs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> ave</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> bf</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> sr</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 100</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 50</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 4s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 6s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> ct</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> st</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>ODIs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 9</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 8</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 198</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 54</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 24.75</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 448</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 44.19</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 18</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 2</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

look at the strike rate...ektu baraite hobe...he shouldn't be written off ...

cricket_king
February 6, 2007, 12:37 AM

i can see that ur obviously against the idea of letting tamim into the team. May i remind u that the world cup is coming up, and at that we will be competing against quality opposition on foreign soil. Not zimbabwe, against whom mehrab still struggles to come to terms with. He starts off with a strike rate of 40, and seems to lower it to 20 by the time he gets out. And with a strike rate of 20 to 40, he should be scoring a large score since he's been occupying the crease for so long! Yet he just seems to get out anyway............and that against the likes of zimbabwe.

Ans once aftab is in, he will score around 30 and then blow it. And if nafees doesnt score, our whole team is in for a thrashing unless the middle and lower order save us.
Better we take tamim who can ensure a quick start at the beggining in which our middle and lower order can continue on.
:flag:

yaseer
February 6, 2007, 01:10 AM
i think team management will try tamim if mehrab fails today

layperson
February 6, 2007, 02:06 AM
Bottom line is there is not much difference in terms of experience between Mehrab and Tamim. If as sadi says that experience is the factor to hold onto Mehrab then I cannot agree with it. I have said it before if experience is what we are looking for then we should play either Rajin Saleh or Javed Omar. In terms of recent performances it shows time and again that mehrab is not suitable for ODI's with his "superlative"strike rate. The only reason we are getting good starts is because SN is scoring. Imagine this, if SN is having a bad run then we will end up worse off because Mehrab would successfully hold onto his end eating up the balls while SN since having a bad run would be cautious as well. We will end up with a score of 30/0 off 15 overs. I would rather be proactive and fix the problem rather than wait for the inevitable to happen, ie when SN fails the weakness of playing mehrab as an opener would be more glaringly obvious. I am not sayin Tamim is the man for the job but since he is there now I want to play him instead of Mehrab. I would have been happier if the selectors had picked up either Nadif or Sadat as an opener. But for now anyone other than Mehrab. He just sucks too bad in ODI's.

Farhad
February 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
Oh well, i guess ill just have to respect that and reserve further judgment until the next match......

------------ ( ) --------------

sadi
February 6, 2007, 11:29 AM
It is very easy to go for heads after a loss like this. However, we need to realize after a long time, our opening failed to click and we see the old collapses again. Really sad to see how our batsmen performed today and every one of them has to take the blame for this loss. Batsmen like Sakib, Ash and Aftab got starts but couldn't capitalize while Nafees, Mehrab and our beloved Hablu didn't bother the scorer much.

sadi
February 6, 2007, 11:34 AM
Bottom line is there is not much difference in terms of experience between Mehrab and Tamim. If as sadi says that experience is the factor to hold onto Mehrab then I cannot agree with it. I have said it before if experience is what we are looking for then we should play either Rajin Saleh or Javed Omar.

Agreed. Experience doesn't give Mehrab a chance over Tamim as they are both very unexperienced to begin with. What I meant in the previous posts was Mehrab was relatively more experienced than Tamim in reply to some post which said Tamim's inclusion is already overdue.

Its not the experience that brings Mehrab in the opening position. Its the stability. I know its not a good time to sing for Mehrab as our team just lost but we see it again. Opening partnership is a very important thing in batting. It makes thing so much easier. When you lose your openers early, your middle order faces extra pressure and we all know how good our middle order is when they face new balls. Today, our openers failed to give us a good start and our batting crumbled. Hopefully, in next games they will do better and protect our kochi suna middle order.

BangladeshFan
February 6, 2007, 02:29 PM
Again our valuable opener "mehrab the tortoise" scored 2 off 9 balls and maintained a superb scoring rate 22.22% . he is consistent in one thing though, his "tortoise rate" whether he score 2 or 12. when our number 9 Mr. Rafiq can score 40 off 49 balls.

Some more support for mehrab please, anyone??

BangladeshFan
February 6, 2007, 02:40 PM
It is very easy to go for heads after a loss like this. However, we need to realize after a long time, our opening failed to click and we see the old collapses again. Really sad to see how our batsmen performed today and every one of them has to take the blame for this loss. Batsmen like Sakib, Ash and Aftab got starts but couldn't capitalize while Nafees, Mehrab and our beloved Hablu didn't bother the scorer much.

after a long time our opening failed to click?? it didnt click last match also or u call that a click. so called successes in the home ground against zim or scotland counts for nothing.

Atleast Sakib, Ash and Aftab got a start when "dudhvat" mehrab couldnt even get a start. Even if hablu and nafees failed they have capability to score big and cant be compared with mehrab .

cricketboy
February 6, 2007, 03:09 PM
I dont agree with my above post and I would give no more chance to Mehrab. Why take a batsman for sticking around 1st 10 overs scoring runs at a strike rate of 50%. I personally prefer 60/1 than 35/0 in first 10 overs in a 50 over match.Thats where the fielding restrictions apply! We need to try Tushar and Tamim and give them atleast 2-3 chances each. No point bringing Tamim in and playing him for 1 match!!

sadi
February 6, 2007, 03:31 PM
Atleast Sakib, Ash and Aftab got a start when "dudhvat" mehrab couldnt even get a start. Even if hablu and nafees failed they have capability to score big and cant be compared with mehrab .

Noone compared Mehrab with Bashar or Nafees. Bashar has proven himself over the years and Nafees was our cricketer of the year last year. Mehrab hasn't proved anything yet. The way I understand my cricket, I blame a batsman more when he gets a start and then throw it away. A new batsman can get out very early in his innings. It is very normal. But when someone throw his wicket away after getting a start, I have a problem with that.

after a long time our opening failed to click?? it didnt click last match also or u call that a click. so called successes in the home ground against zim or scotland counts for nothing.

In the first game, our opening pair saw the new ball off and lasted more than 9 overs. Middle order then came in and did their job and we got a good total. Today, our opening pair failed and exposed the middle order. We see the difference. Ofcourse, so called success against Zimbabwe and Scotland means nothing. If thats the case, how can we call for some new inclusion without checking how someone does against the quality opposition first?

Farhad
February 6, 2007, 03:36 PM
The selectors made a HUGE mistake giving Mehrab another chance. Can someone please compare the averages of the top 8 batsmen for the last 8 matches? I would, but i really have to finish up an essay first....

Farhad
February 6, 2007, 03:38 PM
In the first game, our opening pair saw the new ball off and lasted more than 9 overs. Middle order then came in and did their job and we got a good total. Today, our opening pair failed and exposed the middle order. We see the difference. Ofcourse, so called success against Zimbabwe and Scotland means nothing. If thats the case, how can we call for some new inclusion without checking how someone does against the quality opposition first?

That is the most fallacious reasoning from you yet......

sadi
February 6, 2007, 03:49 PM
Here it is:

Mehrab 10 200 54 22.22 0 1
Shahriar 12 535 123* 53.50 2 1
Aftab 12 418 66 41.80 0 5
Sakib 12 363 68 45.37 0 2
Bashar 12 210 78 26.25 0 1
Ashraful 11 154 38* 25.66 0 0

sadi
February 6, 2007, 03:51 PM
That is the most fallacious reasoning from you yet......

Which part didn't you like? Was it the part that said falling of Nafees and Mehrab early today exposed the middle order or was it something else? Please enlighten me.

Farhad
February 6, 2007, 04:00 PM
The part I quoted :confused: (as a whole)

Farhad
February 6, 2007, 04:03 PM
Here it is:

Mehrab 10 200 54 22.22 0 1
Shahriar 12 535 123* 53.50 2 1
Aftab 12 418 66 41.80 0 5
Sakib 12 363 68 45.37 0 2
Bashar 12 210 78 26.25 0 1
Ashraful 11 154 38* 25.66 0 0

Thanx.......I rest my case.

Farhad
February 6, 2007, 04:07 PM
Listen Sadi, I admire your dedication to Mehrab, but youve got to admit, he isnt really giving you that much to praise........ When are you going to leave his side? When he goes into the minus figures??

Tigers_eye
February 6, 2007, 04:18 PM
Again our valuable opener "mehrab the tortoise" scored 2 off 9 balls and maintained a superb scoring rate 22.22% . he is consistent in one thing though, his "tortoise rate" whether he score 2 or 12. when our number 9 Mr. Rafiq can score 40 off 49 balls.

Some more support for mehrab please, anyone??
Wow!! What logic. #9 scores 40 of 49, then why did #5 had a duck, #1, #2 and single digit score, #6 could not even score half. shall I continue....???

Grow up!! You can't blame one for what someone else did. Everyone should be hold responsible for their own deeds. 86/7 nice score.

sadi
February 6, 2007, 04:19 PM
Listen Sadi, I admire your dedication to Mehrab, but youve got to admit, he isnt really giving you that much to praise........ When are you going to leave his side? When he goes into the minus figures??

I have no dedication for any player in particular. I argue for things that I think will help Bd in future. I rather have a good balanced batting attack then full of unexperienced slogger. If I had to pick Tamim, I would rather go for Junaed (beautiful technique) or Nazmus Sadat (much more consistent). I am not sure if you have seen Tamim bat but if you haven't, you may want to ask those who saw him bat. He hits the ball with power yes, but lack of proper technique will cause his downfall in international arena. I rather have him work on his game and come when its the right time.

Thanx.......I rest my case.

Sure. You can do that whenever you want. :) If the stats helped you rest your case, maybe you want rest the old Bashar and evergreen Ash with it. No? I don't see much difference in average there. But I know you wouldn't do it. Cuz cricket is much more than just stats. Either you get it or you don't. Cheers.

Tigers_eye
February 6, 2007, 04:32 PM
I don't like Mehrab Jr. as a opener either. But there is something called gameplan. If batting first, the game plan is to not lose wickets and if possible get as many runs they can get. I think that is what Dav's game plan is and that is why Mehrab Jr. is in the team.

Losing too many wickets within the restriction overs is suicidal and hard to mend by the rest of the batsmen. We have seen too many incidents in our cricketing history of having so called strokemakers lineup faulter like house of cards.

The mistake was to take Tamim and not use him from the get go. Either he should have stayed home and played for DOHS or he should have opened. two game is not a measuring stick in any form or fashion. Specially a boy who would play for the U-19 world cup in a year from now.

Farhad
February 6, 2007, 04:43 PM
"I don't see much difference in average there. But I know you wouldn't do it. Cuz cricket is much more than just stats. Either you get it or you don't. Cheers."
Oh......How stupid of me.....You were obviously trying to prove that Mehrab is not the worst in the team, which therefore justifies his presence in the team.....:) His stats however prove that he is.(Bashar and Ash, both of whom were bashed in the last few series', both of whom proved themselves before [Mehrab has yet to], have higher averages than Mehrabs). Although, i admit, stats are not the only thing in a game as complicated as cricket.....Give me one thing he is good at. His impeccable catching? Oh wait, not that either......

As for Tamims lack of elegance per say, that has been discussed again and again. You dont have to look very far to find a successful cricketer (in some cases, very successful) who fails in technique. As someone once said "Technique is a predetermined philosophy created to help peak performance. It is not the very definition of performance."

Cheers

sadi
February 6, 2007, 04:51 PM
I don't like Mehrab Jr. as a opener either. But there is something called gameplan. If batting first, the game plan is to not lose wickets and if possible get as many runs they can get. I think that is what Dav's game plan is and that is why Mehrab Jr. is in the team.

Losing too many wickets within the restriction overs is suicidal and hard to mend by the rest of the batsmen. We have seen too many incidents in our cricketing history of having so called strokemakers lineup faulter like house of cards.

Exactly my feelings.

Farhad
February 6, 2007, 04:59 PM

Thats just it. I agree that that was definitely their reasoning behind his selection. But what people seem to forget is it has worked (or not worked for that matter) against Zimbabwe. Any opener we've had can stay on as long as this guy has, against Zimbabwe, IMO even JO.

sadi
February 6, 2007, 05:00 PM
As for Tamims lack of elegance per say, that has been discussed again and again. You dont have to look very far to find a successful cricketer (in some cases, very successful) who fails in technique. As someone once said "Technique is a predetermined philosophy created to help peak performance. It is not the very definition of performance."

Well clearly we disagree. So there is no point going back and forth on this issue. However, I will tell you this though. Just like you can say there are some who are successful without a good technique, there are many who are not successful since they don't have a good technique. So thats not a good way to defend someone. You have to look at the probability and probability says more than likely, someone with a suspect tecnique is most likely fail in international arena. Exception happens. True. But exceptions are rare.

Oh......How stupid of me.....You were obviously trying to prove that Mehrab is not the worst in the team, which therefore justifies his presence in the team.....:) His stats however prove that he is.(Bashar and Ash, both of whom were bashed in the last few series', both of whom proved themselves before [Mehrab has yet to], have higher averages than Mehrabs). Although, i admit, stats are not the only thing in a game as complicated as cricket.....Give me one thing he is good at. His impeccable catching? Oh wait, not that either......

I am not trying to show he is not the worst in the team. In terms of aveage, he is the sixth batman in that list. However, what I tried to show is his stats is somewhat similar to that of Bashar and Ash. You take a certain period of time, say a year and judge a player. You say he is not good enough but still give pass to other players because they have proved it before against quality opposition. Well, if they did then give this kid a chance to do that too. If not, you are not being fair.

sadi
February 6, 2007, 05:07 PM
Thats just it. I agree that that was definitely their reasoning behind his selection. But what people seem to forget is it has worked (or not worked for that matter) against Zimbabwe. Any opener we've had can stay on as long as this guy has, against Zimbabwe, IMO even JO.

If it worked, why change it? Just becuase it worked against Zimbabwe doesn't mean it won't work against other teams. Ofcourse, Zimbabwe is way weaker than other team but how would you know unless you actually let them play? Just like I said before, we just seem to love the next player on pipeline thinking he is the savior of our cricket and that mentality wouldn't help us in the long run.

Farhad
February 6, 2007, 05:36 PM
Nice work skipping the middle when putting my quote in bold. I never said it worked, neither did i say it didnt work. I was putting my thought forward....Let me try the bold thing too, cuz it might help. What i proposed right in the beginning of the thread is not hasty at all, give Tamim a chance in the next match, if he fails get mehrab back, if he doesnt, give tamim another shot, if he succeeds again, give him another. In order for that to work, the selectors had to do that right in the beginning of the series. But now, its too late to do anything, and they're stuck with it. Mehrab failed both times. The least they can do now is at least win back some respect by trying someone else out.

Fazal
February 6, 2007, 05:52 PM
Why some of us are sooo conjush giving chance to a newer player and soooo dil doria continue to give countless chances to some other players? We already dumped Reza for nothing. Given chance, he could have been much better ODI batsman than what we have at #5 and #6...atleast against ZIM.

I say, if you really want to see Tamim in next ODI, then give hime a chance at #6 slot and from there on we will see where they goes. A batting order of Tamim (at #2). Aftab (at #3) , Bashar (at #5) and Ash (at #6) is perfect recipe for disaster. If you really want to see Tamim at #2, I would say try Tushar at #6. Tushar have proven one thing while playing for team-a, he can bully weaker teams. The way he guided some of the Ababahni inninngs tells me he may have learned from his previous mistakes. May be its my wishful thinking though.

BangladeshFan
February 6, 2007, 06:38 PM
Wow!! What logic. #9 scores 40 of 49, then why did #5 had a duck, #1, #2 and single digit score, #6 could not even score half. shall I continue....???

Grow up!! You can't blame one for what someone else did. Everyone should be hold responsible for their own deeds. 86/7 nice score.

sure! if number 9 keeps batting better than number 1, 9 should be the opener and should face more deliveries. that is what one day cricket is about, team who scores more , wins. Rafiq has played as opener and has flayed zimbo attack all over the place which I doubt our tortoise boy can ever do.

But with world cup in sight it is understandable that they are looking for a stable pair. But the guy who consistently struggles to score even against these poor zimbo /scot attacks shouldnt be the opener at all. and if we think about technique, you will find many players in international cricket scoring heavily without proper technique. even SN doesnt possess sound technique but he scored big against australia as well as zimbabwe.

real123
February 6, 2007, 06:41 PM
We should now give Tamim a chance. Mehrab is too slow, may be fit in the middle (in a test match). we should play positive from the start. Problem with our batsman is that all of them are of same type-stroke makers who use less batting techniques.
I would prefer Nafis Iqbal but since he is not around so Tamim should get his chance. Mehrab was not performing even in the domestic leagues.

Navarene
February 6, 2007, 09:13 PM
Before we see Mehrab Jr another Javed Omar on the making, try Tamim for the rest two matches.

cricketboy
February 7, 2007, 01:25 AM
We should now give Tamim a chance. Mehrab is too slow, may be fit in the middle (in a test match). we should play positive from the start. Problem with our batsman is that all of them are of same type-stroke makers who use less batting techniques.
I would prefer Nafis Iqbal but since he is not around so Tamim should get his chance. Mehrab was not performing even in the domestic leagues.

It will be really interesting if both Tamim and Nafis play in a match together for Bangladesh. At the moment Javed/Rajin seems the best choice to open with Shahriar Nafees for WC.

Imteaz
February 7, 2007, 01:47 AM
Can Be an Option. But Don't Through Him Out after Playing only 5 Matches. Give Him Chance for 10-15 Matches. If it is Not Possible Than It is Better to Allow Him to Wait. Tamim Performed only in Domestic Level. International Cricket is Totally Different. More Over Zimbabwe cannot even be Compared with Other Test Team Now a Day. So, Whatever the Decission, Management Should Think about It Very Carefully.

cricket_pagol
February 7, 2007, 01:51 AM
Mehrab did not get set in the 2nd ODI. I agree that he is slow... he scored 2 runs from 9 balls and hence the 22.22% strike rate!

Why isn't anyone talking about Ashrafool's 16 runs from 43 balls (37.2% SR). He was the one who really got set. What about Aftab, he scored 24 from 40balls. Here is how our two best batsmen got out...

Aftab Ahmed – Caught at square leg by Prosper Utseya off Gary Brent following a flick shot

Mohammad Ashraful – Attempted an inside out drive and was caught behind by Brendan Taylor off Sean Williams

When the team is losing wickets so quickly, I think it was injudicious on their part to play risky and irresponsible shots.

cricket_king
February 7, 2007, 01:57 AM

His "grafting" as u call it isnt making his stats look too great. He stays in for about 70 balls, something which not many of our players can do. Yet he scores around 20-30 in a ONE DAY INTERNATIONAL which is an absolutely ridiculous rate for an opener in the One day level.

Furthermore, because of this sluggish start, the chances of us scoring around about 300 is highly unlikely. Sure we have aftab and ashraful down there, but how many balls are these guys able to play? Not many as we've seen in the past. And without a score of 300 odd, our chances of beating the big teams are decreased significantly because i dont think our bowlers have what it takes to defend 230-250 runs. Dont get me wrong, we have defended lower totals before, but they dont occur very often, do they?

Therefore i say we get off to a flying start, where our middle order can TRY and consolidate.