PDA

View Full Version : middle overs batting problem solved?

al Furqaan
February 4, 2007, 08:28 PM
its been a long time (if ever) we have had a solid pair of batsman who could rotate the strike with singles (and 2s and 3s) in the middle overs with the field spread out. boundaries run dry even for the best of batsman. our batsman would never really play correctly.

but now we have a #4 and a #6 who are perhaps the best batsman at rotating the strike and taking those singles when boundaries are all but covered. saqib and ashraful seem to do that job well.

from this 1st ODI against zimbabwe lets look at the stats.

saqib scores 68 runs at a SR of over 90, ash 22 @ over 80. saqib hits 6 boundaries totaling 24 runs, ash a singular 4.

saqib scored just 35% of his runs from boundaries.

ash scored 18%.

of course, alok kapali was another stalwart in this regard, but he's not in the squad and most people don't want to see him.

looking at our current batsman lets see who scores how many runs from boundaries:

S Nafees: 1321 ODI runs, 169 fours, 3 sixes = 52.5% reliance on boundaries (BR)
Javed Omar: 1166 runs, 125 fours, 3 sixes = 44.4% reliance
Rajin Saleh: 1005 runs, 94 fours, 3 sixes = 39.2% reliance
Aftab Ahmed: 1257 runs, 135 fours, 36 sixes = 60.1% reliance
Ashraful: 1529 runs, 157 fours, 18 sixes = 48.1% reliance
Bashar: stats unavailable
Saqib: 429 runs, 43 fours, 0 sixes = 40.1% reliance
Alok Kapali: 964 runs, 76 fours, 4 sixes = 34.0% reliance
Rana: 331 runs, 21 fours, 1 six = 27.2% reliance

now that we have the percentage of each player's total runs which are from boundaries (both 4s and 6s), we can calculate their "singles strike rate" (SSR) which is the number of runs scored via 1s, 2s, and 3s out of 100 (like a total SR minus the boundaries).

say batsman X has scored 3000 ODI runs in his career, with 250 4s, and 15 6s and a SR of 75.00
% BR = (250*4 + 15*6)/3000 = 36.3% BR (boundary reliance)

36.3% BR * 75 SR = 27.2 runs via boundaries per 100 balls faced

75 - 27.2 = 47.8 runs via singles (1s, 2s, and 3s) = 47.80 SSR (singles strike rate)

the SSR is the number of singles per 100 deliveries that the said batsman will score on average. its a SR which is only concerned with singles and not 4s or 6s.

final analysis

Javed: BR = 44.4%, SR = 52.21 ---> SSR = 29.03
S Nafees: BR = 52.5%, SR = 69.45 ---> SSR = 32.99

SN has played exclusively as an opener and thus his stats are relatively meaningless. given 9 fielders in proximity, singles will be hard to come by, as most well hit balls will go for 4 or 6. same with javed, tho bear in mind javed has played at least a couple of innings in the middle order.

Rajin: BR = 39.2%, SR = 54.82 ---> SSR = 33.33
Rana: BR = 27.2%, SR = 49.55 ---> SSR = 36.07

these two have spent most of their innings in the middle order, which is why rajin saleh (now an opener) has more meaningful stats than nafees and omar.

Aftab: BR = 60.1%, SR = 85.22 ---> SSR = 34.00
Ashraful: BR = 48.1%, SR = 71.01 ---> SSR = 36.85
Saqib: BR = 40.1%, SR = 70.55 ---> SSR = 42.26
Alok: BR = 34.0%, SR = 65.66 ---> SSR = 43.34

mean SSR = 35.98
median SSR = 35.04
standard deviation = 4.82
n (sample size) = 8
range = 14.31

Conclusion

***interestingly, the variability in SSR is smaller than that in regular SR. the range in SR is almost 36 compared to in SSR of only 14.31

as we all guessed, javed has a very tough time picking up singles. coupled with his low SR, he's a huge liability, which is why even when he plays a long innings, bangladesh won't set up a big total.

Nafees' SRR is quite better, but its still lower than the average. this doesn't affect us much since he spends most of his time batting during fielding restrictions. also, when he does play a long innings, his SR picks up considerably. think about it, SN often starts with Javed's pace, but has a career SR of almost 70 compared to Javed's 52.

rajin has a much better SSR than javed but an almost identical SR, indicating rajin is better suited in the middle order, and not opening. at least relative to JO.

rana has a significant SSR, and most will agree its a shame he didn't get that many chances, although now he wouldn't fit in XI.

aftab surprised me a little, his SSR is not bad, just 1 under the mean even though he is overly dependent on boundaries. the reason is because he scores so fluently, his singles rate is higher than some others. this indicates that if aftab sticks his butt to the crease, big scores are not far away.

ash didn't surprise. BC members have long stated that he can rotate the strike better than anyone else. true his stats show he does. he just has to stay at the wicket more.

saqib and alok led the charge, with alok taking top honors. this is good news for saqib of course. now spitfire was the first person who informed me that alok was good at rotating strike in the middle overs. i vehemntly disagreed, and was cogently proven wrong by him several weeks ago ( i wonder if spitty remembers...). anyways, i figure if tushar is given a go, then certainly alok deserves a few more chances. maybe all that talk about him being talented is true...

SMHasan
February 4, 2007, 08:56 PM
Nothing is solved yet Bhai. Just wait until World Cup and then you will see the true colour. But don't think I am a pessimist, if you do then look at CT and some other scorecards where we played against the big guns.

capslock
February 4, 2007, 10:25 PM
Yes, unfortunately we seem to have picked up a lower order problem.

Tigers_eye
February 5, 2007, 11:20 AM
The Most important person in the middle order Mr. Captain's stat is missing.

Would agree with SMhasan though. Playing against Zim don't give us the true picture.

Fazal
February 5, 2007, 11:46 AM
I thought its Sakib and Bashar who did pretty good with rotating the strike in the middle of the innings, which is great for the team. When Ash was batting almost at the end of the innings, it really doesn't matter that much as long as he has a good SR. And in that aspect his SR of kind of OK not great. Moreover I would rather see a batsman hitting more 4s (or 6s) at the end of the innings i.e. after 40 overs. I haven't noticed that in Ash's (last) innings though.

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 12:29 PM
The Most important person in the middle order Mr. Captain's stat is missing.

Would agree with SMhasan though. Playing against Zim don't give us the true picture.

bashar's important, but i dunno if he's most important. plus since this is the entire career stats, bashar's stats would doubtless look shabbier than its been for the last year or 2. so its a good thing that bashar has upped his game so late in his life. he can give us 3-4 more years then perhaps.

Tigers_eye
February 5, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thread topic was "middle orders batting problem solved?" I presume 20-40 overs or 2nd down to 5th down.
In that case JO, SN, R Saleh, Mehrab Jr stat is not that important.

Aftab most of the time don't stick around in the middle order either.
Sakib, Bashar and Ash: Sakib and Ash's ability to rotate stike is linked with Bashar's ability cause he is in the middle of them. That is why he is the most important piece of this puzzle.
Mushi should be included but he didn't play that many games. He from my observation can bat as the situation demands. Hit it out or rotate.

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 12:46 PM
Thread topic was "middle orders batting problem solved?" I presume 20-40 overs or 2nd down to 5th down.
In that case JO, SN, R Saleh, Mehrab Jr stat is not that important.

Aftab most of the time don't stick around in the middle order either.
Sakib, Bashar and Ash: Sakib and Ash's ability to rotate stike is linked with Bashar's ability cause he is in the middle of them. That is why he is the most important piece of this puzzle.
Mushi should be included but he didn't play that many games. He from my observation can bat as the situation demands. Hit it out or rotate.

which is why i am standardizing for each player based on his unique SR, and how many balls he faces, regardless if he has a parter at the other end who can't rotate.

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 12:49 PM
further, the stats for SN are almost completely meaningless, as are the stats for JO and mehrab jr (who i didn't bother to look up).

rajin however has spent the vast majority of his career in the middle order, so i think he's stats are pretty justified.

aftab not so, since he usually doesn't make beyond over 15 or 20 anyways.

but ash, saqib, bashar (whose stats are unavailabe but should be there in the future i hope) are important as they have played almost exclusively in the middle order.

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 04:22 PM
ok, i figured out how to make a more meaningful calculation.

i will edit my first post.

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 05:27 PM
bump

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 5, 2007, 05:30 PM
that was a great effort by Furqaan bhai. u have surely got an MS degree if not a PhD

Tigers_eye
February 5, 2007, 05:41 PM
Nice one!! I perfectly understand now. Only thing missing is Bashar and few other top players to compare with. For example: Hussey, Clark, Ponting since they spent considerable about of time in the 20-40 over mark. Instead of career if one can do the math just for the last years ODIs that would be sufficient.

That would give us a standard to judge our players how well they can rotate.

SSR needs a different name cause in includes twos and threes. Sorry :)

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 06:00 PM
Nice one!! I perfectly understand now. Only thing missing is Bashar and few other top players to compare with. For example: Hussey, Clark, Ponting since they spent considerable about of time in the 20-40 over mark. Instead of career if one can do the math just for the last years ODIs that would be sufficient.

That would give us a standard to judge our players how well they can rotate.

SSR needs a different name cause in includes twos and threes. Sorry :)

i'm happy that its understandable...i spent about an hour in my room thinking how to make a meaningful comparison...i knew what i wanted to prove/say/do but the math was bogging me down...then i got it. it was rather like an apple falling on newton's head.

yes, i will analyze other notable middle order batsman.

you mentioned hussey, clarck, and ponting. how about adding tikolo (our nemesis must be there), inzy, et al.

so our int'l list to help us gauge our boys will be

tendulkar (hes been in middle order some, and he is the batsman's batsman)
ponting
inzy
yousuf
aravinda de silva (was he middle order?)
yuvraj (was really starting to shine)
flintoff
symonds
fleming
astle
lara
sarwan

don't worry about the list length, once you have the forumal its simple...i could calc all this in 30 minutes.

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 06:00 PM
bashar can't be done since the number of 4s he's hit is undocumented by CI...that is a very valuable player misssing in our analysis

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 06:02 PM
that was a great effort by Furqaan bhai. u have surely got an MS degree if not a PhD

nah...inshallah in the future tho

Miraz
February 5, 2007, 06:32 PM
al Furqaan, good effort. Can you please find the stat of Bashar? In that case we could get a much more complete picture.

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 06:44 PM
al Furqaan, good effort. Can you please find the stat of Bashar? In that case we could get a much more complete picture.

next to impossible, because CI doesn't list how many 4s bashar has hit...

Miraz
February 5, 2007, 06:49 PM

Check the following link. You might get some info.

detailed statistics for Habibul Bashar (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/2/2203/statistics_lists.html)

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 09:06 PM
Check the following link. You might get some info.

detailed statistics for Habibul Bashar (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/2/2203/statistics_lists.html)

certain players have no stats of that type available...yet. e.g. there are no records on CI of how many 4s inzy has hit in ODIs.

similarily sachin's 4s and 6s are documented for ODIs (they weren't when i first checked a year or two ago) but not for tests.

so in a few months time we should have bashar's.

i've noticed that all the old long-standing players are missing some 4s and 6s statistics.

Spitfire_x86
February 5, 2007, 09:11 PM
Just one decent batting performance against a very weak team, and everything is solved? :hairpull:

Kabir
February 5, 2007, 09:43 PM
Just one decent batting performance against a very weak team, and everything is solved? :hairpull:

Trust me spitty...I stayed away from here all this time coz I was laughing for the same reason. It's just too damn funny. For the first time I guess we're in agreement :)

al Furqaan
February 5, 2007, 09:46 PM

actually the title is misleading...its more on an expose/comparison in our batsman.

but i will say one thing tho...2 of the guys we have ash and saqib are amongst the top 3 in terms of taking singles...so we at least have something.

of course alok is number 1

SMHasan
February 5, 2007, 10:32 PM

Exactly. Thank you for mentioning this truth.

Imteaz
February 5, 2007, 10:46 PM
A very Informative Thread......................but................... ...Data Sometimes Can Mis Lead you. Our Middle Over Capacity Still Couldn't Prove ThemSelves Against Test Team.

russhassan
February 5, 2007, 11:07 PM
It seems like Sakib is becoming comfortable batting at number 4 position. But I wonder if Ashraful is the right person for number 6. We probably need someone who is a good finisher of an inning at that position. So, we are probably not best using Ashraful at number 6. But having said that I am not sure, given the current line up, where he should bat. Any thoughts? Should he bat at number 4/5. Should Bashar bat at number 6?

Also, is it a goood idea to have Sakib (a more dependable option) bat at number 3. And have the rest as:

4. Ashraful
5. Habibul
6. Aftab (he is a solid hitter of the ball)
7. Mushfique/Pilot
8. Mash
8. Rafique
9. XXX

cricket_king
February 6, 2007, 12:23 AM
great analysis al faruqaan. :) i dont agree with the last bit about alok though. I think he's finished.

Imteaz
February 6, 2007, 02:04 AM
I don't Think Alok is Finished. I Think He has Some Major Error on His Batting Technique. Maximum of Bangladeshi Batters Contain That Kind of Error. Difference is Habibul, Ashraful or Rajin Can Adjust with That because of Their Thinking Capability. But Alok Couldn't Improve It. The New Batters like Shariar Nafees, Aftab or Saqib has less Error than the Previous Batters.

It Can be improved in Two Ways
1. Get Some Tips from a Successful Batters. (Better if He is a Foreign One)
2. Watch The Vedio, Find Out His Own Lackings and Work on It. The Domestic Cricket is Going On.

But 2nd One is Too Tough. If it is Possible So Easily than Every Batters will Do That. SO.................

Fazal
February 6, 2007, 09:36 AM
Now that the problem with middle order battting is solved, should we now concentrate the tail now?

I suggest the following:

#9: Bashar
#10: Ashraful
#11: Pilot

Or should we promote Ash to #9 and demote Bashar to #10? Tuff question. Open for discussion.

Sahid
February 6, 2007, 10:10 AM
middle overs batting problems [pause] not solved

Tigers_eye
February 6, 2007, 12:51 PM
For Tendu, Inzi, Bashar and likes whose stats are missing may I suggest to get only the last years or last two years stats (4s and 6s)? I will help you on getting Bashar's stat.

al Furqaan
February 6, 2007, 05:23 PM
For Tendu, Inzi, Bashar and likes whose stats are missing may I suggest to get only the last years or last two years stats (4s and 6s)? I will help you on getting Bashar's stat.

yeah i can do everyone else for the last 2 or 3 years, if you will take bashar for his whole career. just get his number of 4s (CI lists the 6s he's hit)

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 6, 2007, 11:55 PM
Now that the problem with middle order battting is solved, should we now concentrate the tail now?

I suggest the following:

#9: Bashar
#10: Ashraful
#11: Pilot

Or should we promote Ash to #9 and demote Bashar to #10? Tuff question. Open for discussion.

very good one. i think i have to do a little more research on that. but i dont mind if ash comes at 11. i still think he should consider him to be lucky even if he gets to bat at 11. because yesterday he could have easily saved the team. he was complaining for not getting enough batting practice. yesterday he had almost the whole match to do that. he didnt do it.

one of the members is making aftab come at 6 because he is a solid player. i really dont know wat point he is trying to prove by that. i think aftab should bat at number 10 then, that will make him more solid.

al Furqaan
July 30, 2009, 09:20 PM
i thought i had revised the stats for this, but i guess i haven't. needless to say, this is one of my more favorite research projects, and it has the double bonus of being quick, easy, and meaningful.

original thread was just before Sohel bhai's time, so I'd like to see what him, Mijan, Beamer, Eshen, and other stalwarts think. plus we have stats on Bashar (miraz bhai's request) and a host of new batters to analyze. the oldies will also be retained for comparison.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs136.snc1/5809_639060580695_38400123_36981105_7726046_n.jpg

the forumulas are given above, but for convenience:

BR % (boundary reliance) = percentage of runs scored from fours and sixes
SSR (singles strike rate) = runs per 100 balls faced scored exclusively from ones, twos, and threes

As "benchmarks" I've included Tendulkar, Sehwag, and Kallis' stats as well since they are all highly successful batsmen. The intersting thing to note is that Tendulkar has played 70-80% of his ODI innings as an opener, and his batting average at positins 3-7 is a mere 33. His strike rate also drops from 85 to around 78, indicating that sometimes runs dry up in the middle overs. However, his SSR jumps considerably even though his overall SR drops by an equal amount.

As far as our boys goes, the top spot surprisingly belongs to Riyad, indicating he can stake a claim in the lower middle order. He also has big hitting capability for the final 10 overs, a definite prospect. Sakib and Alok come next, with Sakib improving dramatically over the past 2 years. He has surpassed Alok's ability to work the ball around. Ashraful still remains one of our top 4 in this regard.

Notable laggards are Mehrab and Naeem, although they have a very small sample size to work with. In particular, I think these numbers really do injustice to Naeem's abilities should he get more exposure.

Beamer
July 30, 2009, 09:45 PM
Excellent initiative Al. I must have missed the original one somehow. In this case, the stats do not lie, and it perfectly illustrates how each batsmen accumulate their runs. Fine effort by you.

Middle over batting is much more harder than people realize. With a spread field, boundaries run dry, and one have no option but to run hard by pushing and working the ball around with soft hands to keep the RR at a respectable state. For that, you need players who can do that. Understanding between the batters is a key. Run outs happen more often and you need alert players who are willing to work hard for their runs. Right now, our no.3-6 ( Ash, Rock, Sakib, Mushy ) are all good workers of the ball, with Ash being a master at it, who btw is also very good at managing boundaries during those overs. It is a very pleasing thing for me to witness. Once you run that hard and keep the board ticking, it frustrates the fielding side, more so the bowler, who will let off a few juicy ones in the process to take full advantage off. Saying all that, I wish we had a bit more power from no.6-7. We never really had that on a consistent basis. One or two of the set batsmen from 3-6 can do the power hitting if they last long enough to see off the end overs, but in case it doesn't happen, I will like to see someone who can come in and quickly accelerate. Rafiq and Mash has done it here and there, but it will be much better if one of Riyad or Naeem can take up that mantle. We are on right track. Great stuff again from you and enjoy the game tomorrow.

Gowza
July 30, 2009, 10:02 PM
nothing has been solved, but i think things might be improving slightly. i'm not against giving alok another chance as long as he earns it first, same with aftab although aftab has more work to do than alok (just look at their domestic stats to see why).

raqibul when he first came to the national team was good at rotating the strike, that might have gone downhill since his injury though. i'd be interested to know what NI's rotation of the strike is like, same with guys like shamsur and naeem but at this stage it's hard to tell with them, especially if we go by their international stats (naeem and NI haven't played much and shamsur hasn't played at all).