PDA

View Full Version : habibul bashar and his captaincy

wiseshah
February 9, 2007, 10:57 AM
I think bashar is the most dumbest captain ever in the history of cricket. he doesnt know, how to use his bowler. When he see opponent team is taking more runs without losing wicket, he always use the same bowler over and over again. he doesnt know how to change bowler at all.my advice to bashar, why dont u follow ponting's captaincy. The otherday, i saw brett lee and mcgrath gets beaten, so immediately he changed them and used unusual occassional bowler like M,clark, hussey, white. and he gets success immediately. sometimes even high rank batsmen gets confused to play those unusual bowler. even, Graeme smith of SAF team bowls himself sometimes to make the variety. bashar, do u know, Ashraful can bowl and Aftab has 5 wicket in one match. all u have to do, in crucial moment, USE them. when he will learn his lession.

Tigers_eye
February 9, 2007, 11:07 AM
He did a good thing in the last match. He used Razzak for the last over. :)
But I agree, he is the dumbest test captain no doubt. His fielding setting is always negetive.

PoorFan
February 9, 2007, 11:27 AM
I was surprised when I saw he let Tapash to bowl 8 overs in a raw, and Tapash gave away 45 runs! I am saying this from scorecard, so I could be wrong though.

sadi
February 9, 2007, 11:29 AM
This is not a good time for this thread. We just won a close game defending only 228 runs. He deserves some credit for that. We can bash him from tomorrow on. :)

Miraz
February 9, 2007, 11:34 AM
He is the best Captain we ever had.

We had zillions of discussions about this.

Now, Mods please close this unnecessary thread.

fwullah
February 9, 2007, 11:50 AM
I think our Vice Captains and / or future Captains can learn a lot from Bashar's mistakes in captaincy.

Duck
February 9, 2007, 12:31 PM
He is the best Captain we ever had.

We had zillions of discussions about this.

Now, Mods please close this unnecessary thread.

In which terms Bashar is the best?
number of wins? Batting performance? Loyality? Leadership? or What?

In his team, he got the best cricketers, BD cricket history has ever produced; each of whom are far better than their predecessors! He is playing under Dave Whatmore, one of the proven and iconic coach of international cricket! It is the contribution from all these factors. He could have made more wins under his belts, if he knew how to utilize his pawns in the fields. Unfortunately he does not have a clue in the field!! :(
<O:p</O:p
The most contagious thing is his "loser’s attitude". He is from an era of cricketers who believed in "shonmanjonok porajoi". This still pegs his philosophy in the cricket fields.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Bashar may be a very nice guy and honest person in his personal life. But in the field, a captain's business calls for far more than these. A bit of foresight, creativity, doggedness and sometimes risk should give you positive results from the close games. In that case I would have given him his due credit. I consider him a suitable transition, nothing else.

Duck
February 9, 2007, 12:34 PM
I think our Vice Captains and / or future Captains can learn a lot from Bashar's mistakes in captaincy.

You know what, if you see bad things happening around all the time it would be instilled and established inside you. I wonder whether Nafees and his fellows would also be infected with the same disease of loser’s attitude from him. It is better to have good example before you to learn the good a thing.

Miraz
February 9, 2007, 12:51 PM
In his team, he got the best cricketers, BD cricket history has ever produced; each of whom are far better than their predecessors! He is playing under Dave Whatmore, one of the proven and iconic coach of international cricket! It is the contribution from all these factors. He could have made more wins under his belts, if he knew how to utilize his pawns in the fields. Unfortunately he does not have a clue in the field!! :(
<o>:p</o>:p
<o></o>:p
<o>:p</o>:p

Bashar may be a very nice guy and honest person in his personal life. But in the field, a captain's business calls for far more than these. A bit of foresight, creativity, doggedness and sometimes risk should give you positive results from the close games. In that case I would have given him his due credit. I consider him a suitable transition, nothing else.

Everything looks very easy off the field.

He is much better than many world captains in managing the field. Except few Toss decisions (which I believe in most cases DW decision), it is hard to blame Bashar for his captaincy.

Sometimes it appear that he is not very aggressive but that's due to the shortcoming in the strength of our bowler. He tries to play safe which in most cases is the most logical option. A captain can be aggressive when he got bowlers like Murali, McGrath, Warne or Bond which we don't have.

In which terms Bashar is the best?
number of wins? Batting performance? Loyality? Leadership? or What?

If you consider his predecessors, he is the best in every point you raised.

The most contagious thing is his "loser’s attitude". He is from an era of cricketers who believed in "shonmanjonok porajoi". This still pegs his philosophy in the cricket fields.<o>:p</o>This is outrageous about Bashar, he won 28 games as a Captain and before him, Bangladesh never tasted successive success. He is a senior player, that does not mean he has got loser attitude.

he failed in occasions but that's a part of the game.

One final word, you can only show which is in your bag.

patriot
February 9, 2007, 01:23 PM
He is such a dumb [edit] that with his captaincy :

- We beat Australia,Sri lanka and India.
- We crushed Kenya and zimbabwe.
- We climbed the ICC ODI rankings.

BangladeshFan
February 9, 2007, 01:26 PM
what further complicates the matter is bashar can still contribute with the bat and retain his place in the team as batsman alone. if someone like SN is made captain, Bd will have a captain in early twenties with an excaptain who is 35(or 38?). none will feel easy with it, its an age old psychology that the oldest should lead (bar rafiq who is too light for captaincy).

even though bashar is dumb, i dont think he was the dumbest of all Bd captains. i can remember in one match, bulbul actually called a bowler to bowl his 11th over, because he lost count!!

roaring tigerz
February 9, 2007, 02:10 PM
Bashar is dumb? Does that even mean anything? What kind of dumb**s makes such comments?

Bashar is our senior batsman and has represented the Bangladesh team for over a decade now. While most of his compatriots have long been dropped, Bashar is still playing by dint of performance alone. He is captain because he obviously commands respect from his teammates.
He took over the captaincy under difficult circumstances and inherited a very young team. He nurtured the young players and actually built a cohesive team. In our previous teams there was a distinct separation between the seniors and newcomers. But in this team, apparently everyone is welcomed as an equal. Bashar deserves some credit for fostering this team spirit. Shahriar Nafees himself acknowledged Bashar as his closest friend in the team.

Bashar is often criticized for not being aggressive enough, and being reactive rather than proactive. Fair enough. I dont think he was a natural leader. But then you have to consider that, everytime we are up against the big boys the team is struggling to survive. Its doubly difficult for a captain to be aggressive when his team is always on the run and losing game after game. But I believe he has improved his decision making as a captain. Today we successfully defended a low total and not for the first time. So I suggest lay off him, especially when we have no clue what went on in the field today.

sadi
February 9, 2007, 02:19 PM
So I suggest lay off him, especially when we have no clue what went on in the field today.

Exactly. Noone saw the game today and we are still critisizing him. Actually today if I had seen a thread praising Bashar, I wouldn't be surprised since we defended a small score. The timing of this thread doesn't make sense at all.

Zobair
February 9, 2007, 02:27 PM
His astonishing catch to get rid of the in-form Sibanda is said to have changed the whole complexion of the match. Given what we know about his fielding abilities the catch speaks volumes about his inner fire, his commitment, his desire to fight back. Captaincy is about a lot of things, and leading on the field is just one part of it. Every captain has his strong and weak points.

While everyone is welcome to their views many of the comments in this thread are insensitive, and ugly.

istiak
February 9, 2007, 02:44 PM
Another useless Basher bashing!!

When is the last time you guys saw a great captain without a great team? Put Ponting, Shourav or even Loyed as captain of BD and lets see!!

Murad
February 9, 2007, 02:56 PM
guys guys guys

hes is the man of the match today.....
because of his captaincy we won today.. else how wud he get the award today???\

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/zimvbdesh/engine/current/match/275756.html

chinaman
February 9, 2007, 02:59 PM
To the best of my knowledge, he usually takes a 'no-risk-classical type' approach. With the inconsistently talented bunch in the team, I think, that approach is suitable than the aggressive variations many fans would like to see. I believe, at this time and stage of our cricket, only that type of no-nonsense approach has the highest potential to ensure captaincy related mistakes to a bare minimum.

Ahmed_B
February 9, 2007, 03:04 PM
LOL.... how come this sort of a thread comes up on the day when Bashar is the MOM??!
:)

pial
February 9, 2007, 04:50 PM
Some people will never be satisfied, overlook the reality and except extremes, even we were Australia.

RazabQ
February 9, 2007, 06:04 PM
পাগলে কি না কয় .... :)

We all know Bashar is no Imran Khan, Mark Taylor, Mike Brearly or Saurav Ganguly. But seriously - he's the best we've got and will be for a while. As for his lack of dynamic tactical nous - we just have to live with it. I don't see any of the other geniuses in the team coming up with brilliant ideas and offering them to him.

BD Tigers
February 9, 2007, 07:45 PM
Useless thread. People need to understand cricket before talking abt it let alone bashing our national captain. We can say lot of things just watching the game on tv/internet but go ahead and just play a street game and lead that team and u will be dumber than our captain. So please lay off...

Dhakablues
February 9, 2007, 07:55 PM
Doesnt matter what we say, or like, Bashar is there until he gets injured or the world cup is over. He is not a creative minded captain, doesnt have the flamboyancy nor the great communication skills of all the other world captains but he is the best you got for a team thats aged only 20 something. Its not like you have many seasoned, reverred players around any more like the days of Akram, Bulbul, Nannu, Moni etc. He doesnt impress you with his body language but he will impress you with his team. Thats why he is the captain.

oporajeyo_bangla
February 9, 2007, 08:04 PM
Bashar is the best we have, there's no doubt about this. Who else would you put as captain? Making SN captain will undoubtedly affect his batting. SN should be gradually groomed into the captaincy and for now concentrate on his batting. When he does well, Bangladesh does well.

Bashar's stunning catch to remove Sibanda today turned the game in Bangladesh's favor. That was the turning point in the game. I am surprised we are criticizing him when he played such a strong role in Bangladesh's victory.

Kuddus
February 9, 2007, 08:14 PM
The World Cup should be Bashar's last hurrah (at least in the odi scene). He can retire together with Lara and McGrath :)....as far as dumb captain goes, I don't think the results would have been any different with any other captain with the current resources of the team...he is just someone you are stuck with because of a no-trade clause in the contract...something like that

mamunr
February 9, 2007, 08:29 PM
cmon guys, this is ridiculous.

Sure nobody's perfect, but we shouldn't have a go at Sumon especially since we won last night. He's been the best captain Bangladesh has had ever, in terms of results.

The only reason you would start a thread like this is that you think someone else would be a better captain. You could be right, but you are most likely wrong, and I don't think its worth taking such a risk to change the captain, where not alot has gone wrong. Unfortunately for us good captains like Stephen Fleming and Sourav Ganguly aren't Bengali, (Ganguly is, but he's from Kolkata). I reckon he's the best we have right for now. As somebody said the next captain will learn from him and be better.

gatekeeper
February 9, 2007, 10:50 PM
LOL.... how come this sort of a thread comes up on the day when Bashar is the MOM??!
:)

Actually Nafeez was the MOM, Cricinfo is wrong.

safaat
February 10, 2007, 06:14 AM
he doesn't overreact to situtions is the probably a better thing to say. may be at times a bit laid back. he has been flexible. i say hes doing a good job.