PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2007 format-full of loopholes

mhj007
February 13, 2007, 01:40 AM
now...world cup 2003 made icc's format look faulty at many aspects...as zim and ken went on 2 play super six stage..and also they carried 2 and 4 points respectively...
but world cup 2007's format is also not looking good..atleast the initial stages..
lets analyse groupings:-
Group- A(Australia,Netherlands,Scotland,South Africa)
it is hard 2 believe dutch or scotts will beat or even contest with the other two..in this group's six matches..only 2 would be competative and other 4 matches will be over before starting..the two competative matches would also not bear any great importance as the fate of the teams would have been clear till then.
Group-B(Bangladesh:flag: ,Bermuda,India,Srilanka)
these is the toughest group as it has india srilanka and improving bangladesh...but if the group has to generate interest amongs the viewers,bd has 2 play well and at least beat one of the two giants..bermuda is here only 2 perticipate(sorry,but thats the truth)
Group-C(Canada,England,New Zealand,Kenya)
although at first look,it seemed 2 be quite a competative group..but now,as england r back in form..and the performance kenyans showed recently against us is the indication of another one sided group as eng and nz will cruise pass the others..
Group-D(Ireland,Pakistan,Zimbabwe,West Indies)
It'll be same as group c..bcuz zim r a veryyy poor side(specially outside their country).and wi and pakistan are far too good for them as well as for ireland..

so..its clear that most of the groupstage matches would be one sided which would create no excitement only will bore people..if bd beats scotland by 146 runs..imaginehow the aussies will beat them!!!!!!!:confused:

so r u guys agreed with me??i think 12 countries would have been enough instead of 16..

karimjay.
February 13, 2007, 03:21 AM
Nice post..Wouldna thought of it if it werent for you.

Imteaz
February 13, 2007, 05:11 AM
Well, It is True that Group-B is The Toughest Group. But Bangladesh has to Prove. One Thing Should be Realized that Cricket World Do Not Concider us a Tough Oponant Yet. We Have to Kick out that Perception by Beating One (SL/IND). Playing Well won't Work Out Any More. We Just have to Beat Them. Hope Habibul Bashar and his Team Can Do That.

Ahmed_B
February 13, 2007, 07:43 AM
Well... there are 16 teams playing. 8 of them are stronger teams and the remaining 8 are weaker.. including BD. The format is planned in a way so that it eliminates the weaker 8 teams in the first round. Then remains the top-8 for the next stage. That is the concept of it.

Now, group-B is most competetive because among the weaker 8 teams... only BD has the chance to pull out an upset win. Other groups are supposed to be bit boring. Whatever the format is now.. it is actually intended to be like that.

mhj007
February 13, 2007, 08:58 AM
Nice post..Wouldna thought of it if it werent for you.

thnx for ur comment..
the point i want 2 make is that 16 teams playing world cup is good for cricket's globalization..but not good for the viewers..as it is almost clear to us(except for group B..as we hope bd will make upset) that who are going to the second round before the world cup even started,but in previous world cups..it was always uncertain abt who r going to the next round...this grouping will take the shines of the world cup from 1st round..
Junior

Xavier
February 13, 2007, 09:15 AM
I think it's fair to have 16 teams at the world cup, the game needs to spread its popularity and the associates deserve some place.
On the other hand it's true that the format could be quite boring and predictable, and also the super-8 could be too long. Maybe having 3 groups of 5 teams at first stage and the first 2 of each group joining super-6 would have been more interesting.

Kabir
February 13, 2007, 12:18 PM
Now, group-B is most competetive because among the weaker 8 teams... only BD has the chance to pull out an upset win. Other groups are supposed to be bit boring. Whatever the format is now.. it is actually intended to be like that.

Actually, Kenya has made a few upsets too, although a long time ago. Having said that, given the current form of most of the teams, an upset from any of the minnows is quite unlikely.

Tigers_eye
February 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
This is the only way teams like Scotland, Ireland, Bermuda can play a game against the giants. This is the only way Napal, UAE, Malay, Singapur can dream of having a chance to compete with the best of the world. Its not about upsetting the giants or giving the viewers a money's worth. It is giving the the small countries a taste of where they stand and how far they have climb and something to dream about.

12 team format is difficult to manage. If you have 4 groups 8 qualifying then there are much less games for the tourney (only 20 games). If you have 3 groups of four you have 26 games but getting 8 would be difficult. Also having 12 teams at the WC and 10 teams at the ICC trophy don't make much difference between the two events. Same teams facing each other.

With the current format of 16, there is a total # of 32+ games.

babubangla
February 13, 2007, 01:38 PM
thnx for ur comment..
the point i want 2 make is that 16 teams playing world cup is good for cricket's globalization..but not good for the viewers

If we consider viewer's pleasure, then we should not be playing at the highest level either. 80% of the time, our performance against the big guns is nothing but a boring/painful experience for the viewers.

sar2005
February 13, 2007, 03:39 PM
Whatever the format is, I would always prefer to see as many BD matches as possible against the big guns. Nothing is much pleasure than watching BD in action. In this world cup, we are getting only 2 games against big boys IND and SL which is as small as the smallest tri-serries for us. We even played way more matches against ENG and AUS during our last tour to ENG. I wish if the format was in a way so that BD could play at least 4 big games. By this, we would also had more probability of proving our capability..................

Anyway, nothing would be much exciting than being qualified for the 2nd round. O Allah, can a dream come true in 2007?

Tahsin Chowdhury
February 13, 2007, 04:28 PM
:flag: are bhai,,,,eto chinta kore ki luv?????????//Bd tigers will rock,,,group to porer khota,,,2nd round e to uthbei,,,quarte final e o uthe jete pare,,,Lets hope 4 da best:flag:

Rabz
February 14, 2007, 07:31 AM
Nothing wrong with the format i reckon. As said earlier, the first round is for the weaker teams to participate and play against the best in the world...

the real action starts in the second. BD is definitely the leader of the second group and its upto us to prove that we are good enough to go up the ladder. The only way to do it is to win matches...

If we cant beat either/or/both Ind and SL, ( assuming we gonna beat Bermuda), we simply are not good to play the next stage and are there basically to fill up the numbers as we've been on the past 2 editions of the game.

so i say... bring it on.

mhj007
February 14, 2007, 10:18 AM
:flag: are bhai,,,,eto chinta kore ki luv?????????//Bd tigers will rock,,,group to porer khota,,,2nd round e to uthbei,,,quarte final e o uthe jete pare,,,Lets hope 4 da best:flag:

yup!!!..i think thats the way to approach...o allah plz let all of our dream come true,plzzz?
Junior:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: