PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh WC team has been announced

nmhimal
February 13, 2007, 03:41 AM
Just get the news from NTV, the final 15 for bangladesh team has announced for WC. they are

1. Habibul Bashar
2. Sharier Nafis
3. Aftab Ahmed
4. Tamim Iqbal
5. Mushfiq Rahim
6. Saqibul Hasan
7. Rajin saleh
8. Mashrafe Mortoza
9. Mohammad Rafique
10. Abdur Razzaq
11. Shahad Hossain
12. Javed Omar
13. Syed Rasel
14. Tapash Baisha
15. Mohammad Ashraful

So its mean Pilot is out of the team, but why is javed? so what you think about the team, i am happy with the team. Good to see pilot is out.

limon
February 13, 2007, 03:42 AM
1.S.Nafis
2.R.Saleh
3.J.Omar
4.A.Ahmed
5.M.Ashraful
6.H.Basar(c)
7.M.Rahim(Wk)
8.MRafiq
9.M. Mortoza
10.T.Baisa
11.S.Rasel
12.A.Razzak
13.Saqib
14.S.Hosain
15.T.Iqbal

Khaled Masud is out !!!! J.Omar, R.saleh in !!!

gatekeeper
February 13, 2007, 03:44 AM
Just saw it on Chnnel I news. WC 15 announced. Three changes form the Zim squad

Mehrab Jr, Tushar and Md. Sharif out.
Javed Omar, Rajin Saleh and Rasel in.

limon
February 13, 2007, 03:47 AM
same two threads start at same time !!!!

bd_cricket
February 13, 2007, 03:51 AM
Not sure why they have brought back Javed after a year. No Mehrab Jr. But Tamim got in with just 2 ODI experience.

When Mushfiq was promoted in the top order against Zim - that was the clear intention of the selectors that they want to leave Pilot out. And with the performance of Mushfiq, it was easier for them.

tutul
February 13, 2007, 03:52 AM
JO??? what the heck they are thinking???

tutul
February 13, 2007, 03:55 AM
Three thread for same topic!!! Mod please merge them.

nobody
February 13, 2007, 03:56 AM
Wow JO has a life of cat. How come he is in the team when we have a better version in the form of Mehrab

nsd3
February 13, 2007, 04:06 AM
The correct list is given below: (No Javed in the team: no need to debate on why JO is selected).

TigerCricket.com Report
13-February-2007
Bangladesh squad for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 was announced at a media conference in Dhaka today. Following is the 15 member team:
1. Habibul Bashar (Captain)
2. Shahriar Nafees Ahmed (Vice Captain)
3. Tamim Iqbal Khan
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Mohammad Ashraful
7. Mushfiqur Rahim (Wicket-keeper)
8. Mohammed Rafique
9. Abdur Razzak
10. MashrafeE Bin Mortaza
11 Kazi Shahadat Hossain
12. Tapash Baishya
13. Syed Rasel
14. Rajin Saleh

nsd3
February 13, 2007, 04:08 AM
JO was not selected. Please try to stop spreading rumour. Thanks.

TigerCricket.com Report
13-February-2007
Bangladesh squad for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 was announced at a media conference in Dhaka today. Following is the 15 member team:
3. Tamim Iqbal Khan
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Mohammad Ashraful
8. Mohammed Rafique
9. Abdur Razzak
11 Kazi Shahadat Hossain
12. Tapash Baishya
13. Syed Rasel
14. Rajin Saleh<!-- / message -->

nmhimal
February 13, 2007, 04:09 AM
AS cricinfo

World Cup 2007
Mashud left out of Bangladesh squad
Cricinfo staff
February 13, 2007
Bangladesh have named their 15-man squad for the World Cup and, as widely predicted, they have left out their experienced wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud and chosen Mushfiqur Rahim, who performed well on the recent tour of Zimbabwe.
Habibul Bashar, the captain, said that he was looking forward to the tournament. "I was a member of the World Cup team four years back and then we had hardly any ambition rather than playing good cricket," he said. "The scenario is totally changed now after we have already won a number of matches in the recent past."
"We are going to the World Cup with lot of confidence this time, especially after the away series victory and definitely our target is to make a second round berth. We know it will not be an easy task to beat at least one team like India and Sri Lanka to make our dream come true. But I think there is hardly any meaning to our trip if we have no target. I will not be surprised if my team beat any big fish in the competition."
Bangladesh squad Habibul Bashar (capt), Shariar Nafees, Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed, Sakib Al Hasan, Mohammad Ashraful, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mohammad Rafique, Abdur Razzak, Mashrafee Murtaza, Shahadat Hossain Rajib, Tapash Baishya, Syed Rasel, Rajin Saleh, Javed Omar.

nsd3
February 13, 2007, 04:09 AM
JO is not selected. TC has published the correct list. Here you go:

TigerCricket.com Report
13-February-2007
3. Tamim Iqbal Khan
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Mohammad Ashraful
8. Mohammed Rafique
9. Abdur Razzak
11 Kazi Shahadat Hossain
12. Tapash Baishya
13. Syed Rasel

Miraz
February 13, 2007, 04:12 AM
Javed Omar is there :(

15 member squad

Habibul Bashar (captain), Shahriar Nafees, Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed, Mohammad Ashraful, Sakib Al Hasan, Mohammad Rafique, Mushfiqur Rahim, Abdur Razzak, Mashrafe Bin Murtaza, Shahadat Hossain, Tapash Baishya, Syed Russell, Rajin Saleh and Javed Omar.

mbssr
February 13, 2007, 04:16 AM
I thought they would bring Al shahriar in the place of JO :-(

gatekeeper
February 13, 2007, 04:27 AM

TigerCricket.com Report
13-February-2007
3. Tamim Iqbal Khan
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Mohammad Ashraful
8. Mohammed Rafique
9. Abdur Razzak
11 Kazi Shahadat Hossain
12. Tapash Baishya
13. Syed Rasel

Where's #15? JO IS there.

gatekeeper
February 13, 2007, 04:28 AM
Three threads on the same topic in two minutes. Mods, please merge them. Thanks.

yaseer
February 13, 2007, 04:30 AM
Dropping Pailot is a big big mistake.

shovon13
February 13, 2007, 04:31 AM
selecting JO is a much bigger mistake. its okay as long as its just for the world cup. because mehrab isn't developed enough yet, and tamim's too raw (i'm practically saying the same thing about both of them )

pilot fan
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/current/story/280197.html

jo is selected

Mr-khan
What the hell is going on!?Why again Javed omar.We have allready 3 openers in the team.

cricket_pagol
February 13, 2007, 04:32 AM
The correct list is given below: (No Javed in the team: no need to debate on why JO is selected).

TigerCricket.com Report
13-February-2007
3. Tamim Iqbal Khan
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Mohammad Ashraful
8. Mohammed Rafique
9. Abdur Razzak
11 Kazi Shahadat Hossain
12. Tapash Baishya
13. Syed Rasel
14. Rajin Saleh

JO is the 15th member of the squad... this sucks. I hope JO is not selected in the final 11.

gatekeeper
February 13, 2007, 04:33 AM

I agree. Mushfiq probably will be better than Pilot some day but he is not tested at this level yest. This is the biggest stage, don't know how he'll react to it.

cricket_king
February 13, 2007, 04:36 AM
If they select JO then i'd say they're gonna use him. Tamim might get a go against bermuda or unless JO doesnt perform. DAMN!! :(

gatekeeper
February 13, 2007, 04:37 AM

TigerCricket.com Report
13-February-2007
3. Tamim Iqbal Khan
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Mohammad Ashraful
8. Mohammed Rafique
9. Abdur Razzak
11 Kazi Shahadat Hossain
12. Tapash Baishya
13. Syed Rasel

Here's the TC link;

http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=275

yaseer
February 13, 2007, 04:37 AM
Our selectors just does not plan anything....they are just making questionable decisions.....
*Why Russell was dropped for ZIM tour firstly....if he is dropped then in which ground selectors call him back?? did he grab 5/6 wicket hall is domestic curcuit? NO, as they call him back, that means the first decision of dropping russell was wrong and they have to admit it.
* same thing goes to Tushar imran....scored runs in league when all the star players were playing....had only one chance in ZIM tour...n failed n dropped.....while Rajin made some 150/160 ball centuries while the star players were not playing....n got the chance in place of tushar imran.

So, what next?? after some radicilus display Javed and Rajin will again be dropped, Mehrab and Tushar will come back....again they will be dropped ....again....again.....this trend will go on n on.........

yaseer
February 13, 2007, 04:41 AM
If they were decided to pick Mushfiq....then they also could have picked Pailot in place of JO....what's wrong having 2 wicket keepers...some teams are doing it in the WC.....I do not think JO will get a match in WC....no point make him a traveller.....but If JO get a match that will be another mistake

mahbubH
February 13, 2007, 04:43 AM
Selecting JO for any one-day cricket is not a very good idea. This is already established (so many examples we have!).

But as he never played world cup cricket and as the best friend of our captain he "deserves" a chacne for playing world cup cricket!

After playing several years in high level, we are still ameture in selecting teams!

Mr-khan
February 13, 2007, 04:47 AM
I have nothing against Rajin's selection.He was included as a 3rd opener and he is far better and experienced then Mehrab.But We dont total 4 opener in 15 man squad.I dont find any reason to select Javed again.

gatekeeper
February 13, 2007, 04:49 AM
and as the best friend of our captain he "deserves" a chacne for playing world cup cricket!

You're saying there's nepatism in the selction process?

bd_cricket
February 13, 2007, 04:51 AM
JO is the biggest question in the squad. Mehrab Hossain Jr had very good opening partnership with SN lately - some 70+ partnerships. However MHJ is also slow opener like JO, but he would have been another bowling option.

gatekeeper
February 13, 2007, 04:51 AM
If they were decided to pick Mushfiq....then they also could have picked Pailot in place of JO....what's wrong having 2 wicket keepers...some teams are doing it in the WC.....I do not think JO will get a match in WC....no point make him a traveller.....but If JO get a match that will be another mistake

Exactly. And Mushfiq is actually a better batsman than JO. So, picking Pilot (instead of JO) and Musfiq would've made much more sense. What happens if Mushfiq gets hurt? Who's the second keeper?

BD-Shardul
February 13, 2007, 05:04 AM
Javed was selected, Tamim Out.

Personally, I am extremely pleased with the team.

Nice to see that Mashud is out. I dont want to see players in WC team whose committment is questionable. May be Mushfiq is not mature enough, but he will try his best, and there is no question in his committment.

JO, Rajin, Rasel, Tapash- I am happy to see them. They work really hard, have experience, and very committed players of BD Team.

yaseer
February 13, 2007, 05:08 AM
After playing several years in high level, we are still ameture in selecting teams!
Yes, that is the thing.......well said.....

fwullah
February 13, 2007, 05:21 AM
nsd3, one name is missng in the list.

JO was not selected. Please try to stop spreading rumour. Thanks.

TigerCricket.com Report
13-February-2007
3. Tamim Iqbal Khan
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Mohammad Ashraful
8. Mohammed Rafique
9. Abdur Razzak
11 Kazi Shahadat Hossain
12. Tapash Baishya
13. Syed Rasel
14. Rajin Saleh

<!-- / message -->

Mr-khan
February 13, 2007, 05:23 AM
Ok..tell me..who is the 15th member?

fwullah
February 13, 2007, 05:27 AM
Here is the mistake in TC.

TigerCricket.com Report
13-February-2007
3. Tamim Iqbal Khan
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Mohammad Ashraful
8. Mohammed Rafique
9. Abdur Razzak
11 Kazi Shahadat Hossain
12. Tapash Baishya
13. Syed Rasel

Mr-khan
February 13, 2007, 05:31 AM
Please check again the link
http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=275

Javed omar is the 15th member.

billah
February 13, 2007, 05:37 AM
I knew JO was going to be selected.

Leaving Pilot will bite us back. I hope not. I really hope Mushfiq comes through.

Also, I think Tamim will disappoint us. I hope he proves me wrong. Hope he belts the heck out of the indian bowlers.

Congrats to the players. Wish you all the best. Go get 'em Tigers.

Miraz
February 13, 2007, 05:48 AM
Everything was fine except JO. I salute selectors for taking the brave decision and drop Pilot.

A bowling all-rounder in place of JO (Manjar Rana or Farhad) and this team would have been my dream team.

Thunder
February 13, 2007, 06:08 AM
I think selectors were looking at JO's recent form in the league and probably will give him a chance if Tamim

fails but definitely i think Farhad Reza would've been much better although nobody is mentioning his name.

Isn't he the only player who made a 50 on his debut for bd ! :doh:

reverse_swing
February 13, 2007, 06:13 AM
Three threads on the same topic in two minutes. Mods, please merge them. Thanks.

Done. Thanks!

Sovik
February 13, 2007, 06:17 AM
disappointed to see javed in the team.

Navarene
February 13, 2007, 06:35 AM
Can't believe JO is in! Rasel's inclusion is welcomed. Feel sorry for Mehrab Jr, but with such a slow strike rate at opening slot its hard to find a place in the quad.

Tamim is a big big surprise. I also hope he does well, but with zero experience in international arena I am extremely doubtful about him. Selectors played a big gamble by including Tamim. Knock the wood!

Tushar should have been in the squad! Good to se Rajin is in. And leaving Pilot might cost us a lot. What if Rahim gets injured? Who is the second keeper in the squad?

I ask the selectors on what basis and logic they have included Javed and Tamim and left behind Pilot???

Javed's inclusion can never be justified! Shame on Faruq and co !

mamunr
February 13, 2007, 06:54 AM
Man I never liked Javed Omar, too slow. Tamim Iqbal is a positive move, an aggressive player, and so is Rajin Saleh. I just feel Javed is going to be sitting on the sidelines, they were better off picking another fast bowlers, cause at the moment Mashrafe needs some good support, and they'll need many fast bowling options as possible in the Caribbean. Most of the other squads have 5 fast bowlers in them, we only have 4 : Shahdat, Mashrafe, Tapash and Syed.

Xavier
February 13, 2007, 06:54 AM
I've found this explanation by BD squad selector Faruq:

"We have dropped Mashud for poor batting performance, though he is still the best wicketkeeper in the country," said the head of selectors, Faruk Ahmed.

"We think Mushfiqur Rahim is the better batsman than Mashud now."

http://www.cricketweb.net/article.php?CategoryIDAuto=2&NewsIDAuto=3377

shaoun
February 13, 2007, 07:18 AM
only 5 players from last world cup. bashar, ashraful, taposh, masrafee and rafique. its a much better team then the one we had in 2003. but i think khaled mashud should have been in. he has experience playing in west indies. he has a test century there. pilot should have been in and javed should have been out. other then that the team looks fine to me.

thebest
February 13, 2007, 07:22 AM
I am smelling nepotism. In no way JO would have been in. If they wanted an experience opener Rokon was there. Unfortunately Rokon displaced Faruq and JO happens to be best buddy of HB. This tilted the equation in favor of JO. Other than I m happy with the team, though I have doubt on Tamim. He has stage fright. Remember U19.

cricket_pagol
February 13, 2007, 07:30 AM
I feel bad for Farhad Reza... I thought his batting is much better than some of our reputed top order batsmen, but his bowling is not as good as it should be. He would have been perfect in the middle order.

safaat
February 13, 2007, 07:39 AM
Everything was fine except JO. I salute selectors for taking the brave decision and drop Pilot.

A bowling all-rounder in place of JO (Manjar Rana or Farhad) and this team would have been my dream team.

i agree. another all rounder manjurul rana/farhad/kapali or even mashud would have been fine. personally i dont see any role in the side for JO

Mohiul
February 13, 2007, 08:03 AM
I would love to see Forhad Reza in place of Javed Omar. Otherwise I have no complaint with the selected team.

TheWatcher
February 13, 2007, 08:11 AM
Our selectors never cease to amaze us. I think they feel obligated to make at least one or two controversial decision every time they select a team, so to give the fans and media something to munch on (remember how happy Faruque was last time that he surprised everyone with Tushar's selection ?). How many times their controversial choices blew up on their on their faces (Tushar is the latest) ? They still don't learn.

mhj007
February 13, 2007, 08:38 AM
the team is quite good..but the selectors should have chosen mehrab jr or kahaled mashud instead of JO...why JO is back??i think he should never ever come back in bd squad(atleast in odis)..picking pilot woud not have been bad..because if mushfiq fails to keep fairly,then we could have him...but alas!!!our selectors suckss!!!
Junior

Mahmood
February 13, 2007, 08:56 AM
JO is there as a fail safe if top order forgets batting.

I feel bad for Pilot, but with Mushfiq, we will not miss Pilot, cant do worse.

I thank the selectors for not selecting Alok, I was scared of that.

This is a good team.

ASA
February 13, 2007, 09:01 AM
Javed was selected, Tamim Out.

Personally, I am extremely pleased with the team.

Nice to see that Mashud is out. I dont want to see players in WC team whose committment is questionable. May be Mushfiq is not mature enough, but he will try his best, and there is no question in his committment.

JO, Rajin, Rasel, Tapash- I am happy to see them. They work really hard, have experience, and very committed players of BD Team.
You are happy to see JO - and pleased to see Pilot go ?!!! When was the last good performance by JO in a ODI ? And how to say Pilot's commitment is questionable. His recent batting may not be at par - but who's going to rival his keeping skills? Trust me, we are going to repent not having a top class wicket keeper in the World Cup. :hairpull:

Xavier
February 13, 2007, 09:08 AM
IMHO it's a mistake not to have Mashud in the squad. He has a slow strike-rate, but he can defend his wicket, while other bangladeshi batsmen tend to be quite aggressive, so he can be useful in a game. Rahim is talented, but he never played a ODI to any team other than Zimbabwe and Scotland... and what if he has the slightest injury? Is there any other cricketer in BD squad who has ever played as wicket-keeper?

sadi
February 13, 2007, 09:08 AM
Flawed selection process. There is no back up middle order batsman in the team. Ofcourse, there is Rajin but I want to see him bat up the order, not Javed Omar. There is no point taking four openers. I would've gone with Tamim and Rajin along with Shahriar and pick a middle order bat like Forhad Reza or heck even Tushar. If not anything, I would pick Pilot just to be the backup keeper in case something happens to Mushfiq. Now, we don't have a backup keeper, we don't have a backup middle order bat and we have four opener including Javed Omar. Great. Nice job.

kfirooz
February 13, 2007, 09:26 AM

True ! its unbelievable that a young player who has still not proven anything significant with the big teams could be selected for a major event like the World Cup based just on one performance against a depleted Zimbabwe.
I am afraid this decision will not only have adverse impact on Bangladesh's progress in the tournament but also likely to put the youngster's career and confidence in jeopardy.

al Furqaan
February 13, 2007, 09:32 AM
Flawed selection process. There is no back up middle order batsman in the team. Ofcourse, there is Rajin but I want to see him bat up the order, not Javed Omar. There is no point taking four openers. I would've gone with Tamim and Rajin along with Shahriar and pick a middle order bat like Forhad Reza or heck even Tushar. If not anything, I would pick Pilot just to be the backup keeper in case something happens to Mushfiq. Now, we don't have a backup keeper, we don't have a backup middle order bat and we have four opener including Javed Omar. Great. Nice job.

my thoughts exactly, farhad reza should have been there

bapzmania
February 13, 2007, 09:33 AM
good to see Mushfiq finally beat Mashud.......

sensible
February 13, 2007, 09:37 AM
It seems JO is the most unpopular selection in this team. And the only reason given by everyone is that he is not aggressive enough!! But don't we already have enough aggression in the team? We have Aftab, we have SN, and even Ash-fool. A good team needs a balance of aggression and calm. Batting first and trying to score 400, if we get out at 40 because we are aggressive doesn't do us any good. The reality is we don't have Jayasuria or Afridi or Shewag in our team. So we cannot expect starts like those teams. I think for us 75-90 runs in the first 15-20 overs, a runrate of 5 or so upto over 40 with some batting left is a good model. If we have batting left after 40 overs, we can easily score close to 300 and that's enough with tighter bowling and good fielding to beat any team.

nightwatchman
February 13, 2007, 09:37 AM
I think selectors were looking at JO's recent form in the league and probably will give him a chance if Tamim

fails but definitely i think Farhad Reza would've been much better although nobody is mentioning his name.

with Forhad in Jo out and tapash out and Rana in his spot would bemyu dream team for now and the near future. I agree they should've given a chance to Tushar as Wasim Jaffar he really does good in domestic cricket. But he gets nervous of being kicked out from the team over and over again.
Good luck BD tea.
no use of crying over spilled milk..

sadi
February 13, 2007, 09:43 AM
It seems JO is the most unpopular selection in this team. And the only reason given by everyone is that he is not aggressive enough!! But don't we already have enough aggression in the team? We have Aftab, we have SN, and even Ash-fool. A good team needs a balance of aggression and calm. Batting first and trying to score 400, if we get out at 40 because we are aggressive doesn't do us any good. The reality is we don't have Jayasuria or Afridi or Shewag in our team. So we cannot expect starts like those teams. I think for us 75-90 runs in the first 15-20 overs, a runrate of 5 or so upto over 40 with some batting left is a good model. If we have batting left after 40 overs, we can easily score close to 300 and that's enough with tighter bowling and good fielding to beat any team.

I understand your point but we have better version of JO in Rajin and Mehrab. Thats why it is such a unpopular decision. And since Rajin is already in the squad, it is just wasting a space.

Kabir
February 13, 2007, 09:43 AM
Won't complain about JO's inclusion, coz it's self-evident.
I just wanna know WHY NOT an all-rounder instead of JO????????

TheWatcher
February 13, 2007, 09:50 AM
Four opening batsmen in the squad- a really puzzling decision. Only logical explanations that come to my mind-

1. Mushfiq did well rescuing our team from possible batting collapses in Zimbabwe. But Whatmore probably doesn't think Mushfiq is mature enough to play the same role against India or Lanka. So, he wants to have JO or Rajin for those kind of situations.

Or

2. Since our top order repeatedly fails against big teams (Even SN's success in ODIs against big eight is nominal) and expose our middle order early, DW wants to extend the top order i.e. open with SN and JO/Rajin, have Tamim in ondedown, and push everyone else one position back in the batting order (or shuffle Aftab back in #6 slot).

Either case would keep Ashraful on the sideline (I sincerely hope so).

Well, it's all guesswork, just thought I give you guys some food for mind.

PoorFan
February 13, 2007, 10:06 AM
Here is my explanation …

1. Tamim is a explosive opener and taken in as a gamble.
2. Mehrab is as slow as Javed with LESS experience against top team hence Javed in.
3. Rajin is a utility player who can be used for open as well as middle if needed.

Concern remains,, who will keep if anything happen on Mushi? May be another gamble here.

In total, best ever batting depth is the key word perhaps.

roaring tigerz
February 13, 2007, 10:19 AM
JO is neither multi-skilled nor a utility player. He has experience alright, but they tend to be more of a nighmarish kind of experience. Absolute farce of a selection! I agree with the other posts about Farhad. He is unlucky to miss out.

Similarly, Tushar must be wondering if the selectors have a personal vendetta against him and if they are out to ruin his career.

I love the selection of Rasel. But I am interested in hearing the selectors reasonings in leaving Sharif out in the cold after one match. It all doesn't make any sense to me.

But, all my misgivings can be cast aside by the exclusion of Pilot, although much belated. JO shouldn't matter as much anyway, since I do not expect him to start.

sadi
February 13, 2007, 10:30 AM
Well thats what I hope. I hope Javed Omar has a nice caribean tour and lots of rest.

TheWatcher
February 13, 2007, 10:32 AM
Here is my explanation …

2. Mehrab is as slow as Javed with LESS experience against top team hence Javed in.
3. Rajin is a utility player who can be used for open as well as middle if needed.

Concern remains,, who will keep if anything happen on Mushi? May be another gamble here.

In total, best ever batting depth is the key word perhaps.
Good points there. I sincerely hope JO will spend most part of the tour on the sideline, as an injury cover. As you said, having Rajin in the playing eleven gives us better flexibility.

Incase we bat first, there should be some early ball movement because of high moisture. Tamim has a very little chance to survive in that kind of condition (remember the U/19 WC last year ?). So, it will be better to send SN-Rajin to play out first ten overs, and then send Tamim to flay the opposition during the rest of the power play.

Incase we bat second, the wicket should be dry, no problem for Tamim. Send him to open with SN and keep Rajin as a collapse block if we need one.

Back up keeper ? I believe Rajin was tried in that role once.

jishan
February 13, 2007, 10:34 AM

TigerCricket.com Report
13-February-2007
3. Tamim Iqbal Khan
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Mohammad Ashraful
8. Mohammed Rafique
9. Abdur Razzak
11 Kazi Shahadat Hossain
12. Tapash Baishya
13. Syed Rasel

well where is the 15th member? :confused:

sislam2
February 13, 2007, 10:51 AM
Our selectors look at it more personally rather for the country. This is JO last chance to play the WC, and as he was not selected in the last, selectors are making it upto him by taking him in this one. I won't be surprised if they make him play against Bermuda. But if that is the case then why pick Rajin, who the hell picks 4 openers ot play 3 WC games and 2 practice. And for Farhad, this guy should have been there. this guy sould have never been dropped in the first place from Zim tour. I guess, Reza havn't made any good friends in committee. Some body teach him the skills, so that he can be selected like JO and may be like Tusahr who was given 36 ODI chances and averages 16.

I think they will let ME play if sponser them.

sensible
February 13, 2007, 11:03 AM
I'm afraid Tamim would be a big disappointment. With so little exposure to the world stage, I don't think he'll be able to perform. This is another example of taking someone in too early. We should have waited some more years before we include him in the national side, at a more mature stage of his career. I guess we like the idea that if he performs in one match, we could claim..."oh what a great batsman...performing at such a young age.....*remember Ash scoring one century early in his career....? But if he fails, then we can get by blaming him for his inexperience!

I think Sharif is dropped because of fitness issues....I think he hid his injury before going to Zim.....

Spitfire_x86
February 13, 2007, 11:04 AM
:hairpull: :hairpull: :mad: :mad:

WHY? WHY? WHY?

Why must we have a burden in the team?

I bet the team management will play everyone in at least one match, just because it's "oh so precious World Cup". Goodluck if you wish to see JO in the sideline. If he can be lucky enough to be selected, then he's definitely going to play the first two matches. Afterall, it's going to be his first and last world cup, and our moron captain and chief selector will make sure that he doesn't return without playing any matches.

There's only one way out of this. Media may cry foul because of Mashud's omission, and govt. may intervene to include Mashud in the team. Then someone will get axed, and may be JO (like the Nannu replacing Jahangir Alam scenario in 99).

Spitfire_x86
February 13, 2007, 11:06 AM
It seems JO is the most unpopular selection in this team. And the only reason given by everyone is that he is not aggressive enough!!
It's because he's totally useless. He can't hit, can't stay in crease. Good for only choking the team to death in his lucky day.

Miraz
February 13, 2007, 11:07 AM
I don't understand why some members are showing concern about lone keeper Mushfiq in the squad. Some are saying, 'What will happen if something happens to Mushi??'

Now, we have already played 2 World Cup and in both cases Mashud was the lone keeper. I don't know whether we were so concerned about that?

In almost every cases in longer tours (involving tests and ODI) we always took one keeper.

IMO, taking 2 Wicket keeper in a 15 man squad is a luxury and we cannot afford that. Moreover, inclusion of Pilot would have created more selection dilemma, chaos and some controversy.

Good decision by selectors.

roaring tigerz
February 13, 2007, 11:10 AM
The team has already been selected. Its final and there's no use crying over spilled milk. Any thoughts on our starting XI for the first WC game? My team would be:

Nafees
Tamim
Aftab
Ashraful
Sakib
Bashar
Mushfiq
Mashrafee
Razzak
Shahadat
Rasel

Spitfire_x86
February 13, 2007, 11:17 AM
Now, we have already played 2 World Cup and in both cases Mashud was the lone keeper. I don't know whether we were so concerned about that?
And this time it's only a 3 match affair, unlike 2003 (6 matches) or 1999 (5 matches)

cricketboy
February 13, 2007, 11:18 AM
Pilot or even Tushar would have been better than JO. Really risky decision to go with Mushfique over Pilot given the number of times Pilot saved Bangladesh from embarrassment. Even Aus has 2 WK.

Farhad
February 13, 2007, 11:20 AM
Some surprising decisions, but overall.....kinda expected. Im sure Javed Omar was onnly selected as a back up in case Tamim fails. We've got four matches before the world cup to test him out. My opinion, theyre gonna choose Tamim against Canada and Bermuda, if he does well, theyre gonna choose him for the WC. If he doesnt, theyre gonna choose Rajin. Im sure Javeds just a backup, theres nobody else they could choose that would justify their inclusion. Tushar? No way in hell....Mehrab????

fwullah
February 13, 2007, 11:35 AM
Khaled Mahmud came close to near that milestone (47), so no surprise there for Forhad.

Remember, Mahmud scored that 47 vs. India whereas Forhad scored his debuty 50 vs. the recent Zimbabwe team.

sadi
February 13, 2007, 11:42 AM
Even Aus has 2 WK.

Well thats because Gilchrist would be out for the first few games as his wife is pregnant. So they had to have two wicketkeepers. Plus, Brad Haddin is a very good batsman and was the top scorer in recent pura cup.

roaring tigerz
February 13, 2007, 11:48 AM
Javed's selection seems more mindless the more I think about it. If two of our regular openers get injured (highly unlikely), then we can always call up Ashraful or Aftab to open. Ashraful has done it before and Aftab basically comes in the 2nd over every other match. What we do need is cover up for our middle order. We still havent resolved the batting order, from number 4-7. Selecting someone adept at big shots at the end of the innings, was more important.

TheWatcher
February 13, 2007, 11:54 AM
"I think Bashar should have a strong stand in favour of Mashud because it is not unlikely to see his exit in the same way," - Gazi Ashraf Hossain LipuSo Bashar should have backed Mashud so that he himself would have someone to back him (Bashar) in future when Bashar will face the axe ? Amader Ex-cricketer-ra politics chara ar kichu bujlo na.

Tigers_eye
February 13, 2007, 12:05 PM
let me explain why?

Sympathy vote. He wasn't selected in the last WC so he gets a chance to be in the 15. Rest assured he will not be in the final 11.

But I would want to have Forhad there. Even Dollar, injured Sharif (got only one chance to play against Zim), Rana, Rokon.

pagol-chagol
February 13, 2007, 12:13 PM
I see us picking Tamim against India and SL because they got lefty pacers and we need "jodi laiga jai" type of batting to overcome the talent gap. Javed has higher probability of bringing shommanjonok porajoy against these teams, but "jodi laiga jai" is not in his dictionary. The selectors really need to make sure that we beat Bermuda, because their heads will roll if that doesn't happen. Javed will definitely play in that game. Rajin will be in that game too. I am kind of 50-50 on Pilot although I see the future in Mushfique. Thats because Pilot has a test century at West Indies. I hope a group of substitutes, including Pilot, keep practicing with the A team because a call up is possible. Injuries are not impossible.

SMHasan
February 13, 2007, 12:15 PM
This is a huge huge mistake by the selectors. JO can't be there. He hasn't done anything after the Zim tour so how comes he is in the team? Any logic? Plus he is slow, technically not sound at all, very fragile and mentally ill. These players are burden.

But evryone knows why he is in the team. So no point making comments. This is a dirty way of doing your job Mr Habibul and Faruk. I hate your decision. Learn the professioinalism. If this amature attitude (the attitude that tells that this is WC and everyone should be given a chance to play) continues then give your WC hope up guys. Shame.

Sovik
February 13, 2007, 12:24 PM
i don't understand why was JO selected? May be Bashar didn't want to go to the Carribean without his best mate

Miraz
February 13, 2007, 12:27 PM
Bashar defended the selectors and clarified that Rajin will be considered as a back up for the middle order.

"He got runs in the domestic cricket opening the innings. But he can also play in the middle order. In the World Cup he will be considered a backup player of middle order."

In that case, field is more open for JO. He will retire from International Cricket without ensuring yet another 'Honorable defeat'

pagol-chagol
February 13, 2007, 01:05 PM
JO can't be there. He hasn't done anything after the Zim tour so how comes he is in the team? Any logic? Plus he is slow, technically not sound at all, very fragile and mentally ill.

MENTALLY ILL? :timeout: Link please.

Miraz
February 13, 2007, 01:12 PM
Here's our boys, the Tigers.

http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/02/14/2007-02-14__sport01.jpg

Go!!! Bangladesh Go!!

pagol-chagol
February 13, 2007, 01:14 PM
They need to find a better picture of Tamim.

ammark
February 13, 2007, 01:15 PM
LMAO... Dear Old JO is back in the team!!!!! OMG... what the heck is wrong with the selectors??? Just because some of us at BC started calling for Pilot's head, doesnt mean that we've forgotten about JO as well!! Nuts!

tiger1000
February 13, 2007, 01:18 PM
:flag: :flag: :flag:
Bangladesh squad Habibul Bashar (capt), Shariar Nafees, Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed, Saqibul Hasan, Mohammad Ashraful, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Mohammad Rafique, Abdur Razzak, Mashrafe Mortaza, Shahadat Hossain, Tapash Baisya, Syed Rasel, Rajin Saleh, Javed Omar.

I dont think dropping our most experienced one-day player
k.masud is a very good idea.Do u think it is a good idea to drop masud

JamesBond
February 13, 2007, 01:23 PM
What the hell, where did Javel Omar pop up from? Is the BCB politics still corrupted? I mean does he have any holds or something? like Any Minister is his chacha?? I mean, I am happy to see Rahim in the squad but I rather have Pilot rather then Javed. I was so happily reading the names till 14 and at the end when I saw Javed at #15, I was petrified.

sar2005
February 13, 2007, 01:42 PM
I am sure JO will not get a chance in the eleven and struggling to understand his inclusion. We are definitely missing a 3 pacer all-rounder in the team.

allrounder
February 13, 2007, 01:52 PM
Why do we have taposh?

LateCut
February 13, 2007, 01:54 PM
If they had to bring back a blast from the past (or is it a whimper from the past?) they could have selected Alok Kapali!

Mav
February 13, 2007, 02:00 PM
Its all done.
We are gonna get banged anyway in the WC.

Tushar should have been there in place of JO..
Rajin and Tamim is okay. They can be more useful than JO.
Exclusion of Pilot is not a bad decision.

reyme
February 13, 2007, 02:39 PM
Wow, Faruq really likes to surprise people! Too bad all his surprises backfires! Latest example TI.
Tamim will be very vulnerable against IND/SL. Mehrab, though a tortoise would have a much better choice to see off the early 10 overs + he can bowl.

I persoanally believe the the team that played against ZIM in the 1st ODI would have been the best choice. Now we are 1 bowler short.

ialbd
February 13, 2007, 02:42 PM
JOr picture dekhe ga jole jaitese, how i mean how did he...... anyways..

i thought mashud will get one more chance in the WC b4 saying goodbye to cricket, now its gonna be sooner than i thought...

bangalis (including me) support for pilot is emotion driven rather than statistics/performance driven. Ghure firey he keeps reminding me of that '6'.... anyways best of luck to Mushfiq... more over best of luck to my TEAM BANGLADESH.

AsifTheManRahman
February 13, 2007, 02:43 PM
JO? Why o why?

If it were upto me, I'd probably have pilot as a backup keeper. i'm very happy to see saleh in the team, but JO? no no!

reyme
February 13, 2007, 02:47 PM
Players who are very likely to disappoint are:
Tamim, Tapash, Javed: yet they are in.
Picking up JO over Al Shariar, Mehrab Jr, Pilot, Rana/Farhad tells that either Faruq needs to go to a mental hospital or get fired from the head selector role. Nepotism at its worst!
Now why this is so crucial? One bad selection in the team can really hurt the confidence of the team and ruin the chemistry. Well at least Bashar and his wife found travel mate within Mr. and Mrs. JO. Have fun guys, thanks for ruining the WC for the rest.

cricketboy
February 13, 2007, 02:49 PM
Anybody will be better than JO. They should have picked Tushar, Pilot, kapali, Mehrab(jr), Rokon, anybody. This is a very very defensive team consisting of defensive players like Rajin and Javed Omar. We can never upset big teams playing Javed Omar. He can never score a 50 off less than 90 balls. :mad:ATleast Mehrab has the ability to hit, Javed has no abilty to hit. I dont understand why didnt they not select Pilot when there is already 3 openers.

sar2005
February 13, 2007, 03:07 PM
Tushar would have been a way better option than JO............:mad:

FaridpurChicago
February 13, 2007, 03:11 PM
Sometimes pagol-chagol er kotha shona valo.
I believe the selectors took the right decision. We got to do some gambling if we want to win against Ind/SL. We need to take "jodi laiga jai" approach. In fact Ashraful has been in the team after so many failure on this "jodi laiga jai" gambling. Rajin and JO will play against Bermuda as we need to play safe that game.

I see us picking Tamim against India and SL because they got lefty pacers and we need "jodi laiga jai" type of batting to overcome the talent gap. Javed has higher probability of bringing shommanjonok porajoy against these teams, but "jodi laiga jai" is not in his dictionary. The selectors really need to make sure that we beat Bermuda, because their heads will roll if that doesn't happen. Javed will definitely play in that game. Rajin will be in that game too. I am kind of 50-50 on Pilot although I see the future in Mushfique. Thats because Pilot has a test century at West Indies. I hope a group of substitutes, including Pilot, keep practicing with the A team because a call up is possible. Injuries are not impossible.

allrounder
February 13, 2007, 03:15 PM
1. Where do BD stand in terms of fielding against India and Sri Lanka?
2. Which bowler can restrict Dhoni from blasting?
3. Is Murali going to be a nightmare for us?

FaridpurChicago
February 13, 2007, 03:20 PM
Players who are very likely to disappoint are:
Tamim, Tapash, Javed: yet they are in.
Picking up JO over Al Shariar, Mehrab Jr, Pilot, Rana/Farhad tells that either Faruq needs to go to a mental hospital or get fired from the head selector role. Nepotism at its worst!
Now why this is so crucial? One bad selection in the team can really hurt the confidence of the team and ruin the chemistry. Well at least Bashar and his wife found travel mate within Mr. and Mrs. JO. Have fun guys, thanks for ruining the WC for the rest.

I don't want to blame this Faruq and Co. I heard comments from ex captains and this team is lot better than what others said. All the old pundits (Raqibul, Bulbul, Akram, Durjoy..) wanted JO as well as Pilot and Rajin. They are still the same mind set of playing defensive against club team MCC. Pilot might be better than JO but there's a real dilemma here. Had there be Pilot, he would be in playing 11 replacing Mushfiq. Now JO and Rajin will be used to keep the bench warm for Ashraful who will be spending most of his time on the bench even though his name in the playing eleven.

JamesBond
February 13, 2007, 03:25 PM
Javed Omar Belim Elem Gelim Selim Melim Telim GOLLA will make GOLLAS in WC, if he is offered to play matches...neways I am past that hurting decision.. there's nothing we can do if we still have the "SHOJON PRITY" weakness in us..
I just want BD to make an upset with SL or IND. My sixth sense says ...prolly IND :D

cricketboy
February 13, 2007, 06:13 PM
Tushar would have been a way better option than JO............:mad:
Every rational perosn would agree with you but not pagla Farookh. :mad:Tusahr was better than Rajin or Omar 15 days back but not now!!! Pathetic.

BangladeshFan
February 13, 2007, 06:55 PM
1. Where do BD stand in terms of fielding against India and Sri Lanka?
2. Which bowler can restrict Dhoni from blasting?
3. Is Murali going to be a nightmare for us?

1.Fielding wise Bd is ok i think comparing Ind and Sl.

2.I wouldnt worry about dhoni, he will be coming at 6-7 and wont have that many deliveries to play. More worrying is someone like jayasuriya, old guy seems to have got his form back and is lethal.

3. yes, murali or harbhajan will be hard to handle for Bd, thats why we need a good start and big amount of runs from powerplay. spinners even part time ones always become dangerous for Bd but if we get a good start we can afford to play the spinners safe for 1s and 2s.

I think the key is how Bd bats, if Aftab , SN/ tamim gets going and then have good support from middle order, Bd can upset both Ind or Sl.

AsifTheManRahman
February 13, 2007, 07:40 PM
ok here's my reaction to the selections:

i was very happy when i saw rajin's name in that list. i think by now mehrab's proved that he's not ready to open in the one day side as of yet, and i have always been against tamim's inclusion (inexperience, not so technical and hence vulnerable to fall against quality bowling, and so on). however, picking JO adds a whole new dimension to what the selectors might have in mind for the top eleven on a given day.

from what i gather, the selectors are probably looking to pick rajin to fill in any potential void in the middle order caused by the failure of one or two from the first eleven. this, in my opinion, is a bad idea, since it represents one of two things: 1. tamim will open from the word go and 2. javed will replace him if he fails. javed hasn't done anything special in odi's in a LONG time, and i'd thought his days were over. he may have scored some runs in the domestic leagues, but when hasn't he? on the other hand, when rajin scores in domestic cricket, we know there's a chance he will do so too in international cricket, as he has done before. he had a great test series against australia, and i thought he was dropped unfairly at one point. i would love to watch him open, and he is definitely the best man in bangladesh to do it at the moment, whether he actually scores big when he is out there or not.

about pilot, i'd wanted him to be in the 15 solely because we don't have a backup keeper, and if mushfique is injured, pilot would be a good replacement as he can keep even if he can't bat. however,we'll probably only play three matches, so i'm not willing to make a fuss of it. mushfiq's performance in zimbabwe has come as more of a relief for me than anything else. i'll make a case for him by saying that while his scores came against a lowly zimbabwe attack, the ball <b>was</b> moving around and he <b>did</b> come in at crucial times with the burden of building the innings on his back. for a teenager who knew he was going through a time when his actions would define his chances of going to the world cup, achieving whatever he has isn't an easy feat. he scored when more experienced men fell around him.

and i'm not basing my opinion of mushfiq on two games. he has shown off his capabilities in bits and pieces over the last year and a half or so, whereas his competitor has gone down the ranks, scoring in single digits not only in odi's but also in the dhaka league recently. pilot has been out of form for a long time, and the way he underperformed in the league, that too after voicing his dissatisfaction about the selection process in public, was never going to help him. mushfiq has always had a lot of potential, and it was a question of when he was going to convert some of that to runs, all along. he will be going into the world cup with a lot of confidence and enthusiasm.

even JO has done stuff that can validate his inclusion to some extent (not in my eyes, but the selectors) - he's scored in domestic cricket. he's scores a couple of centuries and a few half centuries. had pilot done half of that, he wouldn't have been dropped. i am quite surprised to see how blatantly stupid our ex-cricketers are. their remarks are just like our politicians. when will anyone start putting the country/team above the individual?

if it were upto me, i guess i would have opened with rajin, benched tamim until his services would have been required and probably picked pilot as a backup keeper. i would definitely not have picked JO. i think this was a very bad decision. other than that, the team doesn't look too bad, but then again if they're planning to play rajin in the middle order, things are pretty bad.

finally, i'm not too surprised about farhad reza's omission, since he bowls like chacha and hardly fits in solely with his batting skills.

AsifTheManRahman
February 13, 2007, 07:42 PM
oh and...i would have picked tushar in place of JO

cricman
February 13, 2007, 07:54 PM
JO and Tushar Really shouldn't be on this team, but JO is a really good fielder and would be a good 12th man. Tapash seems like he's better than Rajib right now but my XI vs India would look like.

1.Tamim Iqbal
2. S. Nafees
3. A. Ahmed
4. S. Hasan
5. Hablu
6. Ash
7. Rafique
8. Mashrafe
9. Tapash
10. Razzak
11. Rasel/Rajib (Take your pick, I like Rasel vs SL and Rajib vs IND)
12. JO

If Rasel plays vs India he just might murdered I mean Tendu/Gangu/Dhoni/Sewhag I think at least 3/4 would have his way with him. But vs SL he's had Jaya/Appatu wickets and done well.

SMHasan
February 13, 2007, 08:43 PM
We all know Al Shahriar has done very well in the Dhaka league but still he is not on the team.

Interesting thing is accroding to the prothom-alo the chief selector was asked why they haven't picked Al Shahriar then he replied 'well, he hasn't been in our plan in last few years'. So doesn't this statement prove that whenever they select a team they just think about a special bunch of players? Doesn't it prove that only performance and commitment are not the only requirement to play in the national team?? It's a big question.

kalpurush
February 13, 2007, 09:19 PM
Wow, Faruq really likes to surprise people! Too bad all his surprises backfires! Latest example TI.
Tamim will be very vulnerable against IND/SL. Mehrab, though a tortoise would have a much better choice to see off the early 10 overs + he can bowl. .

With all respect....reyme: how do you know that Tamim will be very vulnerable against IND/SL? And, Mehrab is good for sure-only may be for Test matches!:-D

kalpurush
February 13, 2007, 09:21 PM
We all know Al Shahriar has done very well in the Dhaka league but still he is not on the team.

Interesting thing is accroding to the prothom-alo the chief selector was asked why they haven't picked Al Shahriar then he replied 'well, he hasn't been in our plan in last few years'. So doesn't this statement prove that whenever they select a team they just think about a special bunch of players? Doesn't it prove that only performance and commitment are not the only requirement to play in the national team?? It's a big question.

Hasan bhai: Age might be a factor too!:)
You might say how JO in the team then? Well, ....we all know that!!

kalpurush
February 13, 2007, 09:25 PM
JO and Tushar Really shouldn't be on this team, but JO is a really good fielder and would be a good 12th man. Tapash seems like he's better than Rajib right now but my XI vs India would look like.

1.Tamim Iqbal
2. S. Nafees
3. A. Ahmed
4. S. Hasan
5. Hablu
6. Ash
7. Rafique
8. Mashrafe
9. Tapash
10. Razzak
11. Rasel/Rajib (Take your pick, I like Rasel vs SL and Rajib vs IND)
12. JO

If Rasel plays vs India he just might murdered I mean Tendu/Gangu/Dhoni/Sewhag I think at least 3/4 would have his way with him. But vs SL he's had Jaya/Appatu wickets and done well.

Who is the keeper then?!:confused:

Hatebreed
February 13, 2007, 09:26 PM
So my prediction came right, with the exception of Javed's inclusion. I think they should have given Mehrab a chance, but at least they left Mashud behind. Good squad IMO, let's hope they don't disappoint us.

kalpurush
February 13, 2007, 09:32 PM
Every rational perosn would agree with you but not pagla Farookh. :mad:Tusahr was better than Rajin or Omar 15 days back but not now!!! Pathetic.

And every time he gets a chance.....wastes it and blame goes to selectors!:confused:

kalpurush
February 13, 2007, 09:42 PM
Why do we have taposh?

To bowled out...Tendu, Gangu...Puttu....;)

akabir77
February 13, 2007, 09:42 PM
Ok I think for the first time Slector spend lot of time thinking a head which cught most of us short sighted people in surprise.

First why Rusell was not selected for Zimbo tour and then selected for WC. Now we know that Selector knew that he will be selected they just wanted to see other fellow's how they do.
Pilot case: Some of you r saying why he wasn't selected at least as an backup. My answer is selctor done a brave thing by not selecting him as a backup. Cause from his past expeirence sp from WC03 we know how damaging he can be to the team. So why risk it at all. BTW Rajin can be the backup keeper if we really need some one to do so.
TI: I guess this guy was given his last chance and if I where a selector I would be pist of on him too cause he had a great opertunity to do something for the team as BD was comfortable position in that match where he made zero...A bit unlcky too.
Golla: We all I can say he got a fair deal. He was the best contender for 03 and for politics he was left back and now the circle is full the reason for leaving him at that time got what he desrves and at last his dream came true. I like him as a backup opener then any body else.

Good team now bring them on....I have no complain

kalpurush
February 13, 2007, 09:50 PM
JO is there as a fail safe if top order forgets batting.

I feel bad for Pilot, but with Mushfiq, we will not miss Pilot, cant do worse.

I thank the selectors for not selecting Alok, I was scared of that.

This is a good team.

Mahmood bhai: I think so too.:)

kalpurush
February 13, 2007, 09:57 PM
Here is my explanation …

Concern remains,, who will keep if anything happen on Mushi? .

Simple....Rajin!:)

AsifTheManRahman
February 13, 2007, 11:19 PM

khaise....bhai jaaner ki goto bishsho cup er shomoy rokoner tolowari kayday bat chalanor drissho chokhe bhashe na? :p er aageo kintu beta league feague e 2/3ta 150 maira ashchilo :D

ialbd
February 14, 2007, 09:14 AM
it seems like we are always after quick results. Everytime is 'jodi laiga jay' type attitude. For few days I thought the selectors knew what ther are doing, then again picking Tamim for the 'jodi laiga jay' factor just shows how impatiet they are. Tamim Iqbal in 1-2 years wud have been sth to really watch. Now like my fellow BD supporters, all I can do is to pray for him to click (tired of praying for Ashraful, so its Tamim's turn now). How long do I have to pray for these 'miracles'....

cricketboy
February 14, 2007, 01:09 PM
I think the selectors decided to take both Rajin and Golla as they fear that they may do very bad and we need batsman who can at least play 50 overs!!! Pathetic defensive approach.

sadi
February 14, 2007, 01:30 PM
If anyone want to express their opinions about the selection to Daily Star, they can do that now.

Notice (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/02/15/d70215044558.htm)
Dear readers, if you have something to say about Bangladesh cricket team selection for the World Cup, please write a short email and send to sports@ thedailystar.net.

Aritro
February 15, 2007, 12:55 AM

I agree.

I'd like to see Rana make a comeback. He's certainly done more for Bangladesh than most players we've had over the years.

It's also slightly pointless selecting 4 openers. Especially one who has been proven to be as below par as JO.

Aritro
February 15, 2007, 12:56 AM
I think the selectors decided to take both Rajin and Golla as they fear that they may do very bad and we need batsman who can at least play 50 overs!!! Pathetic defensive approach.

There's nothing defensive about selecting a player with the technique and concentration to last 50 overs. Every team needs one.

Golla's selection is questionable because he fails on both criterion.

thebest
February 15, 2007, 01:27 AM
This is the letter I send to daily star
Selectors, Media, Fans and World Cup Team

<o></o>
For the last few days, I am watching curiously about the reaction by the media, fans of the world cup squad. Instead of supporting our team, media is bickering and providing kerosene to flame. Almost all the team picked itself with the exception of two big names – Ashraful and Khaled Masud. Selectors made one bold decision by dropping Masud. This creating a huge hue and cry among the media led by our former captains
Our former captains were skilled players but I have doubt about their cricketing wisdom. I do not want to show any at the moment but I would let you know if you need. What is Masud done in last few years to be in the team? People are talking about experience or what if Mushfiq drop a catch as if Masud never dropped one. Masud dropped three catches and one stumping in a single match (Against Kenya) in last world cup. He is a man with ego problem. His name is forever associated with match fixing in Bangladesh cricket history. Proven ‘not guilty’ does not mean ‘innocent’. The other point people are raising performance of Mushfiq against Zimbabwe is not considerable as he is unproven against big guns. It was not Mushfiq’s fault that he did not get the chance. When got the chance he performance. How the critics are conveniently forgetting that this kid scores a fighting 60 odd against the English bowling in England. When was the last time Masud has any mentionable score in any level of cricket. Regarding age, Inzy was in same age as Mushfiq in 1992. Mushfiq has added advantage of playing for the age groups for years.
In all these hoopla, we are forgetting to ask the selectors why there were four openers? Are we planning to play three openers to shield our middle order? Why Javed is in the team? If experience is the issue why not Al Shariar ? He has a better record in premiar league. He also has the added advantage of playing in world cup. What has Ashraful done to be in the team? If performance is the key, then he is as guilty as Masud.
One word about our fans: when selectors justifiable drop Ashraful we made so much hue and cry that selectors were almost forced to take him back. It was not the same like dropping of Nannu in 1999 or Basher in inaugural test. Those were more personal whim of the selectors. This case selectors were justified as Ashraful was not performing. If his door was closed for an year, we would have a consistent Ashraful unlike the present ‘lotto’ when he score in one match and immediately went to hibernation.
Thank You<o></o>

PoorFan
February 15, 2007, 01:48 AM
:) :) Here is my reply to Daily Star.

Dear DailyStar,
Please read the link bellow of Banglacricket.com for fans reaction on WC team selection.

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=18775 (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=18775)

Thank you.

Miraz
February 15, 2007, 01:46 PM
If anyone want to express their opinions about the selection to Daily Star, they can do that now.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote --> Quote:
Notice (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/02/15/d70215044558.htm)
Dear readers, if you have something to say about Bangladesh cricket team selection for the World Cup, please write a short email and send to sports@ thedailystar.net.

Sent a short e-mail and good to see DS has got the courage to publish criticism about its reporting. :)

This is the best possible team for Bangladesh. And please stop creating a mess before the very crucial world cup for Bangladesh. Your reporters are writing some 'romantic novel' style report which is definitely not timely. No one is above the country. Please rise above the personal choices and try to support Bangladesh team. This sort of reporting will create division and destroy morale of the team.
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

sadi
February 15, 2007, 02:03 PM
Looks like you are the only one who spoke for Mushfiq.

Miraz
February 15, 2007, 02:07 PM
Looks like you are the only one who spoke for Mushfiq.

Probably many other got lost (intentionally!) in the editing table. :)