PDA

View Full Version : Media and public reactions after Excluding Pilot

Ahmed_B
February 13, 2007, 12:38 PM
The exclusion of Pilot from WC team has raised questions among the ex-players and captains of BD cricket people like Lipu, Akram etc have expressed their opinions against the decision to discard Pilot. TV channels have started to question the decision also… and more interestingly, an SMS voting on the issue during Channel-I night time bulletin showed results of more than 70% voters standing against the decision of excluding Pilot.

It appears that majority cricket followers in Bangladesh want Pilot in the team. Lipu even mentioned in TV interview that some sort of ‘underground-work’ might have been done to keep Pilot out.

AsifTheManRahman
February 13, 2007, 12:47 PM
sorry, i missed this. which thread has the full team?

i think pilot should be in the squad, but only as back-up keeper.

TheWatcher
February 13, 2007, 12:47 PM
Problem with our ex-cricketers is that they have to think everything in terms of politics. I saw a comment from Lipu that pretty much means Bashar should have backed up his senior teammate in the team, now he has no one to back himself (Bashar) incase he face the axe in future.

Pilot would not be a happy camper to be around if the management wanted to keep him in the squad as a back up keeper, it is best for the moral of the team that he was not taken at all.

AsifTheManRahman
February 13, 2007, 12:49 PM
Bashar should have backed up his senior teammate in the team, now he has no one to back himself (Bashar) incase he face the axe in future.

hehe...that's just ridiculous :)

Miraz
February 13, 2007, 01:02 PM
I am really concerned at the reaction, now if selectors are forced to take Mashud, that will make a big mess and will destroy team combination and morale.

sar2005
February 13, 2007, 01:11 PM
Very first point we should consider that we are looking for a 'Batsman-WK' instaed of a 'WK-Batsman'. A team like BD definitely needs an extra Batsman who can contribute with some valuable runs. From that point of veiw, I don't see anything wrong on Mushi's inclusion over Pilot. I would say, this was a brave decision by the selectors.

On the other hand, Imotion being a big problem for BD over the years........ have you remembered how Nolok won against Rajiv or Salma over Muhin? I don't want to go in a debate if imotion is good or bad but, I think it's really time to look into the performances. Honestly, can anyone tell me there was a single good innings by Pilot in last six months........ODI to 20/20, twenty-twenty to domstic league?? If you want to consider your team based on experiences instead of performances, you can find many more other names that can be included in the list.

Like or don't like the team, like Dav says, we all should back-up our team once it is declared. If there is any question about inclusion of Pilot in the team, let him to play few good innings (perhaps couple of centuries) and door will be open again for him in the national squad (as BD has a good tradition of calling back oldies if they perform). But for the moment, Pilot has nothing to say with his bat. Better take it as a challenge and get back to national team with performance (although WC is missed).

Zobair
February 13, 2007, 01:16 PM
This was to be expected. Unfortunate! Such comments and insinuations are unhelpful.I hope the selectors stay firm and back themselves. I dont agree with JO's inclusion but I would back the selectors to make the final decision and hope for the best. I would say this set of selectors have done a fair job through out their tenure to justify some confidence in them.

sadi
February 13, 2007, 01:16 PM
Pilot has been a part of our ODI side for a long long time and this sort of reaction is normal. We just got used to Pilot too much. I hope selectors remain strong and go on.

sar2005
February 13, 2007, 01:17 PM
.....if selectors are forced to take Mashud, that will make a big mess and will destroy team combination and morale.

I remember the andolon for including Nannu or Javed before in BD team and there were good reasons. Is there any valid reason now why selectors should take Pilot in the squad? I know your concern is like mine........the big mouth of Lipu, Akram or the percentage of SMS..............perhaps that's the reason why democracy is not good sometimes :p

Miraz
February 13, 2007, 01:19 PM
Here's some more reactions

Akram Khan
"It was simply out of my imagination. How they dropped a wicketkeeper like Pilot (Khaled Mashud) for such a big tournament because as a keeper he is still unparallel. I think everybody can understand how important a keeper's role is in the team," said the burly batsman about his long associate in the national side.

"I am really confused why Javed (Omar) is there and Tushar Imran is out of the side. The selectors have just contradicted their previous policy by selecting this World Cup team,"

Raquibul

"I'm disappointed by the exclusion of (Khaled) Mashud. Two wicketkeepers could have been there if they have real faith in Mushfiqur Rahim's batting. They simply contradicted by taking (Javed) Omar and (Rajin) Saleh considering their experience when they ignored Mashud," .

"Tamim is the right choice because he is a very exciting batsman and has the ability to capitalise on the early fielding restrictions to pull off surprise against any big team. But I think it made no sense to include four openers in the team. The selectors actually failed to fulfil the expectations of everybody,"

Lipu
"You just tell me why the team think-tank gave Mushfiqur Rahim a promotion to the top-order in the recently concluded Zimbabwe tour? I think it was to establish the young stumper a place in the team. When you have players like Sakib (Al Hasan) and (Habibul) Bashar in the middle-order, then it made no sense to promote Mushfiqur in the batting order,"
"Javed cannot be considered in the one-day side if we want to win the match. I think Bashar should have taken a strong stand in favour of Mashud because it is not unlikely to see him exit the same way,"

Durjoy

"It is an open secret that the understanding between Pilot (Mashud) and the selectors is not good. I don't find any single reason behind the exclusion of Pilot. Actually what selectors did with the team selections for last one or two years was totally different with the World Cup team," said the former all-rounder.

"Tushar has not got due chances in the side as well,"

istiak
February 13, 2007, 01:22 PM
Very first point we should consider that we are looking for a 'Batsman-WK' instaed of a 'WK-Batsman'.

I totally disagree!! Dropping a catch of Jaya or Tendulkar would be enough for a lose.

sar2005
February 13, 2007, 01:28 PM
I totally disagree!! Dropping a catch of Jaya or Tendulkar would be enough for a lose.

I agree...........but my friend, the catch that can be dropped by Mushfiq, can also be dropped by Pilot. If you are talking about a regulation catch, anybody can miss. If you are talking about a tough catch or stamping, perhaps Pilot is ahead of Mushfiq. But didn't you see Pilot missing a sitter?? Come on, Mushfiq is in the side and let's wish good for him - both as a keeper and with the bat. That would be good for our team.

sujon
February 13, 2007, 01:41 PM
It will prove to be an expensive mistake not selecting pitot. mushfiq is no sangakara or dhoni or gili. How much better is he than pilot as a batsman?

I hope ultimately they include pilot and tushar imran in the team. There should be no place of exercising personal conflicts in national interests.

Niceman70
February 13, 2007, 01:53 PM
True..

This was to be expected. Unfortunate! Such comments and insinuations are unhelpful.I hope the selectors stay firm and back themselves. I dont agree with JO's inclusion but I would back the selectors to make the final decision and hope for the best. I would say this set of selectors have done a fair job through out their tenure to justify some confidence in them.

LateCut
February 13, 2007, 02:04 PM
You cannot change the team anymore unless there are injuries. That is the ICC rule for this tournament. So, unless Golla trips over a pile of cow dung and gets hurt Pilot is out of WC. So just wait and hope the selected ones perform.

Tigers_eye
February 13, 2007, 02:07 PM
lol, can't help but laugh.
Raqibul: Selectors contradicted about players experience on Mushfiq and Rajin/JO.

Same case can be made for you on supporting the selectors Tamim selection. When they agree with you they are great. When they don't they are brainless???

Durjoy is a politician. The less said the better it is.

Lipu: Wow!! Salute sir!! What logic of captain's siding with the veteran so that he can be supported when the time comes, lol.

I was puzzled by Akram's comment. He knows, and still plays the game. Does he think we can win a match with a 230 total against Ind???

Nasif
February 13, 2007, 02:20 PM
Watch it here:
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=18752

Tahsin Chowdhury
February 13, 2007, 02:22 PM
:flag: I am tottaly agree with u ,SAR2005.We are the nation of show our imition time to time,,,and it is not the time to show our imotion.We illl play in the biggest event in world cricket,but 1 thing i m not convinced that,WHY selectors select mushfiq just observing his performance in 1 or 2 matches,and those matches against minnows Zimbabwe.Pilot is not constant,but he is well contributer in Bangladesh team for 10 to 12 years.So only this 2 performances by mushfiq is well over then 10 to 12 years cotributions???How is that possible????

Tahsin Chowdhury(pitch_dark):flag:

Kabir
February 13, 2007, 02:29 PM
What our cricket legends are yet to learn is professionalism and controlling personal biases. Their bias towards Pilot due to their long cricketing career is understandable...but they shouldn't press it so much and disturb the selectors from their their job.

roaring tigerz
February 13, 2007, 02:38 PM
The most, biased, sappy and outrageous piece of reporting came from some Mostafa Mamun at BDNews24. He accused Faruk and co. of having personal vendetta against Pilot and also asked for Faruk's resignation for orchestrating his exclusion. Ofcourse all without a single shred of evidence.

I really dont care what the former captains or our esteemed journalists opine in this issue. This is by far the most astute decision made by our selection committee. Pilot has not only been an underperformer in the national team, he has failed to score any runs in the domestic matches. His contributions to our cricket are hugely appreciated and I am sure he will bounce back stronger than ever. But let that be through his performances and not through power politics.

TheWatcher
February 13, 2007, 03:03 PM
I wonder why there is so much hype about Pilot's keeping quality, he used to often drop regulation catches or miss stumping chances before he got kicked out the team.

Zobair
February 13, 2007, 03:06 PM
Sigh! Tahsin, a lot of people feel like you. But look at Australia and the Australian selectors. Steve Waugh, who contributed so much to Aussie cricket, played such an important part in raising the team to the status that it is today, was dropped from the ODI team after a very similar loss of form.

Pilot got his chances. He failed to take them. Mushfiq got his chances. He took them as well as can be expected. That is the bottomline.

The comparison to JO is not on. At least JO went to the domestic circuit and scored centuries and 50s and made a case for himself.

Lets be rational.

:flag: I am tottaly agree with u ,SAR2005.We are the nation of show our imition time to time,,,and it is not the time to show our imotion.We illl play in the biggest event in world cricket,but 1 thing i m not convinced that,WHY selectors select mushfiq just observing his performance in 1 or 2 matches,and those matches against minnows Zimbabwe.Pilot is not constant,but he is well contributer in Bangladesh team for 10 to 12 years.So only this 2 performances by mushfiq is well over then 10 to 12 years cotributions???How is that possible????

Tahsin Chowdhury(pitch_dark):flag:

Mridul
February 13, 2007, 03:07 PM
Pilot should have been included. People are saying he is not performing. Just check the scorecard when BD played last time against a stonger team.

I am not saying we do not need Mushfique. He can play as a middle order batsman. But there is no harm if Pilot was included. Mushfique is yet to play against quality bowling line up. We will definitly miss Pilot's experience.

sadi
February 13, 2007, 03:14 PM
Battingwise, Mushfiq can't do any worse than Pilot and who cares about facing quality opposition when it comes to keeping? The same bowler of your side is going to bowl and stronger teams don't give harder edges.

Tahsin Chowdhury
February 13, 2007, 03:28 PM
But zobair,WE r not a side like australia.Australia have so many good players and if steve wagh is not played another quality batsman will arrive and ill score hundreads 1 after another.frnd,how can u say mushfiqur rahim will surely perform with his bat???he just score some runs against the weaker team like zimbabwe.He also had a poor domestic league.then what will u say when he missed some catches and then don'tr score some runs in the WC????

Tahsin Chowdhury
February 13, 2007, 03:30 PM
Sigh! Tahsin, a lot of people feel like you. But look at Australia and the Australian selectors. Steve Waugh, who contributed so much to Aussie cricket, played such an important part in raising the team to the status that it is today, was dropped from the ODI team after a very similar loss of form.

Pilot got his chances. He failed to take them. Mushfiq got his chances. He took them as well as can be expected. That is the bottomline.

The comparison to JO is not on. At least JO went to the domestic circuit and scored centuries and 50s and made a case for himself.

Lets be rational.frnd,how can u say mushfiqur rahim will surely perform with his bat???he just score some runs against the weaker team like zimbabwe.He also had a poor domestic league.then what will u say when he missed some catches and then don'tr score some runs in the WC????:) :flag:

Rubu
February 13, 2007, 03:48 PM
I'm more surprised about JO's inclusion than Pilot exclusion.

I had lost faith in selectors long time ago, as with time the quality of their work has only gone worse. For the first year or so, they did a splendid job, but then on, they have made so many stupid decisions that I think its about time we get a new selection panel with players like Bulbul Nannu or Akram.

Zobair
February 13, 2007, 04:07 PM
I can't say for sure, I can't tell the future. If I did, I would be a wealthy man. Like most ordinary people, I just make some educated guesses based on what I know about a player's recent form and performance, and what I have seen of the two players on the TV screen.

frnd,how can u say mushfiqur rahim will surely perform with his bat???he just score some runs against the weaker team like zimbabwe.He also had a poor domestic league.then what will u say when he missed some catches and then don'tr score some runs in the WC????:) :flag:

Zobair
February 13, 2007, 04:16 PM
And isn't it interesting that a player widely blamed for the debacle (who can forget our Eid present from Canada?!) in the previous World Cup has been dropped from this one. If I recall correctly Masud dropped a few dollies that day, was up late the previous night....If an experienced player like him could have been sucked into the glitz and glamour of the event, I would cut Mushfiq some slack. Surely he can't do worse than being investigated for Match-fixing (remember Pilot had to even face an investigation!).

Tigers_eye
February 13, 2007, 05:30 PM
Battingwise, Mushfiq can't do any worse than Pilot and who cares about facing quality opposition when it comes to keeping? The same bowler of your side is going to bowl and stronger teams don't give harder edges.
Sadi, for Farooq's Media advisor!!! Ki jukti. I would like to see what would all the ex-captains say if they had heard this. :)

For now, lets hear those who wants K Mashud still to join the party.

Good one.

rafiq
February 13, 2007, 05:39 PM
I'm cancelling my trip to Trinidad.

Can't say the Pilot exclusion is a surprise, the writing had been on the wall for a while. If Mushfiq was actually prepared to be a wicketkeeper-batsman, Pilot would have been long gone already because everyone apparently hates his guts for one reason or the other. Too much booze. Too much partying. Too many women. Too many dropped catches while being hungover. Too many fights with the selectors. Too many complaints to the press.

The fact is the Mashud can still keep and Mushfiq is still learning. In fact, Mushfiq is also still learning to bat. Playing sub-par teams like Zimbabwe so many times until you are blue in the face has the disadvantage of killing selector/fan brain cells.

If the team had not included Rajin and Javed, this would be easier to bear. Raquibul is right, why in the world would you want 4 openers (counting Rajin)? Surely one of the 2 slots that went to Rajin/Javed could have gone to Pilot to get the extra insurance at wicketkeeper? What if Mushfiq gets hurt in the first game?

After nurturing players like Mehrab Jr and Farhad Reza for the better part of last year, the about face for the WC squad doesn't speak to any kind of cohesive strategy. In the last World Cup, we had to fly in an ageing Akram Khan in a pathetic attempt to save the day. When players don't play, practise or tour together, they tend to show it on the field. Dropping Javed Omar, Tapash, Rajin for a year to experiment and then re-inserting them for the WC could be a recipe for disaster.

Nasif
February 13, 2007, 05:49 PM
Dropping Javed Omar, Tapash, Rajin for a year to experiment and then re-inserting them for the WC could be a recipe for disaster.

Thats exactly my feeling as well. I hope we are not going to repeat another WC2003!

Tigers_eye
February 13, 2007, 05:53 PM
Sorry to hear that. Is this is for Pilot's exclusion only or for testing the new players mehrab Jr, Forhad and not including them when they failed to live up to the hype?

Anywho, if you have already bought the ticket hope you get a better value.

Sovik
February 13, 2007, 06:00 PM
I am not surprised to see pilot out of the team. he is one of the most favourite player but the form that he has shown recently was not enough to earn him a place but selecting javed was totally unnecessary. this is a joke.

cricketboy
February 13, 2007, 06:07 PM
I am not surprised to see pilot out of the team. he is one of the most favourite player but the form that he has shown recently was not enough to earn him a place but selecting javed was totally unnecessary. this is a joke.

Then what form did Mushfique show? Only 57 and 42 in 2 matches against World's worst bowling attack.

Mohiul
February 13, 2007, 06:12 PM
The inclusion of JO is the only valid issue to criticise. But why everyone is taking the exclusion of Pilot as an issue? I don't find any good performance of pilot in any form of cricket in the recent times. I don't think all these floods of criticism is due for our selectors. Sometimes media exaggerates this type of issue but how come some ex-BD captains make these type of comments on team selection. This is really pathetic.

Sovik
February 13, 2007, 06:17 PM
Then what form did Mushfique show? Only 57 and 42 in 2 matches against World's worst bowling attack.

pilot also played against worst bowling attack. In last zimbabwe tour we all saw how did pilot bat and always exposed tailenders to raise his avarage. and i said earlier, i am a fan of pilot but it didn't hurt me to see him exit as much as the inclusion of javed omar. he didn't do anything special lately. javed's avarage in premier leauge is 30. why was he selected?

Mohiul
February 13, 2007, 06:18 PM

He's been showing his performance since he strated playing in different age-level international cricket. He has progressed gradually into the national team.

roaring tigerz
February 13, 2007, 07:33 PM
After nurturing players like Mehrab Jr and Farhad Reza for the better part of last year, the about face for the WC squad doesn't speak to any kind of cohesive strategy. In the last World Cup, we had to fly in an ageing Akram Khan in a pathetic attempt to save the day. When players don't play, practise or tour together, they tend to show it on the field. Dropping Javed Omar, Tapash, Rajin for a year to experiment and then re-inserting them for the WC could be a recipe for disaster.

Bingo! Hit the nail on the head. Beyond any of their selection gaffes, this radarless strategy is the most worrisome aspect. Mehrab, Farhad, Tushar, Sharif...have all been chewed and spit away at the selectors fancy.

AsifTheManRahman
February 13, 2007, 07:58 PM
i agree with rafiq bhai about JO and taposh. however, if taposh is going to the west indies as a backup pacer, i don't think i have much to complain about, because we really don't have a good fourth pacer at the moment. as long as masri is number one, shahadat number two and rasel number three (interchange between the last two if you like), i don't mind having taposh carry drinks or bowl when one or two of the three are hurt.

about rajin - well, i really hope the selectors are being stupid and picking four openers in the team. that way, we will get to watch rajin/tamim in action as an opener, and JO will be wasting a space in the fifteen. however, if they are taking the other route and playing rajin in the middle order, then i agree - i would rather pick reza or imran.

finally, as for JO's inclusion, well, selectorra ki dail khaisilo ponero number spotta pick korar aage?

kalpurush
February 13, 2007, 08:46 PM
We will definitly miss Pilot's experience.

Yes!...Here is the ultimate solution: Bring back...Raqibul. Lipu, Bulbul, Akram....
the ULTIMATE experience...;) :-D

kalpurush
February 13, 2007, 08:51 PM

Rafiq bhai: ...due to heavey workload?!;) :-D

billah
February 13, 2007, 09:46 PM
[বাংলা]রফিক ভাইএর নিদ্রা ভংগ হয়েছে। এতেই আমার খুশি খুশি লাগছে। চারিদিকে একটা উৎসবের ভাব....
:)[/বাংলা]

Kabir
February 13, 2007, 10:00 PM

[বাংলা]আমার ভাই তোমার ভাই, রফিক ভাই রফিক ভাই। ওসতাদ, টিকেট টা আমগোরে দিয়া দেওন যায় না?[/বাংলা] :-*

cricketboy
February 13, 2007, 11:33 PM
Yes!...Here is the ultimate solution: Bring back...Raqibul. Lipu, Bulbul, Akram....
the ULTIMATE experience...;) :-D

I agree we will miss Pilot. :( Anyway man you forgot to include Nannu, 1999 WC hero and our chief selector who himself played that WC but couldn't do anything.

cracky
February 14, 2007, 12:05 AM
these stupid talks by these former "expert" players will just increase the pressure on Mushfiq and the whole team, nothing else.

Mridul
February 14, 2007, 12:34 AM

can u elaborate this using numbers please???

Mridul
February 14, 2007, 12:36 AM
The inclusion of JO is the only valid issue to criticise. But why everyone is taking the exclusion of Pilot as an issue? I don't find any good performance of pilot in any form of cricket in the recent times. I don't think all these floods of criticism is due for our selectors. Sometimes media exaggerates this type of issue but how come some ex-BD captains make these type of comments on team selection. This is really pathetic.

when did u last check a scorecard where Pilot batted?

Sovik
February 14, 2007, 04:42 AM
when did u last check a scorecard where Pilot batted?

let go man. pilot is history. lets focus on javed moron.