PDA

View Full Version : Hope and World Cup

imahmud
February 13, 2007, 11:08 PM
:) * Mistakenly posted on the wrong forum earlier. Sorry for the repeat. Thank you.

Hope and World Cup
:o
<O:p></O:p>I have waited for a while before this writing as I’ve been watching people nagging and crying about Ashraful’s or Tamim’s (he should be sacked etc.) and other’s inclusion in the Zimbabwe tour or even recent world cup selection. Ok, if we let these people select a team with all our consistently performing players, what type of result would you expect? Think about it. We will be playing against team like India</ST1:p and Srilanka, who are in tremendous form lately. With this high profile superstar-consisting team, <ST1:p</ST1:pat best, our achievement would be a graceful defeat and a win against <ST1:pBermuda</ST1:p. No doubt, that would what everyone will expect with that kind of team. With this characteristics (consistent players only) of a team, that would be the best our selection committee and these people could hope, which is hopeless. I would not expect our selection committee would do that. I would have agreed with this kind of team selection if it is any other one day tournament but not for World Cup. I can not imagine that our team competing in the world cup without hope, without any hope to go to the next round and cause few surprises or may be the ultimate. We all have hope and dream and we would like to keep that hope of fire alive. Hope is a beautiful think. It keeps you alive and we would like to keep our dream alive. Wouldn’t you?
<O:p</O:p
It was not long ago (1996) when low favorite Srilanka surprised the cricket world and became the world champion. I believe Dave Whatmore definitively gambled on that occasion. When it was a tradition to plan to face first 5 to 10 overs very cautiously and then slowly pile up runs in one day cricket but Dave gambled and Srilanka showed the world how to start the one day cricket and rest was history. Yes, Dave gambled because he wanted to keep the hope alive and he had a hope. Hope is a beautiful thing. And I salute our selection committee and Dave not giving up that hope by NOT selecting a team with only our consistent performers (you know what I mean), a hopeless expectation. I congratulate them for taking the challenge. I congratulate them despite probable heavy criticism and pressure, showing the guts and for giving us hope by selecting a team which is completely capable of beating any team in the world on their day, just like Srilanka. I see a parallel. Hope is a beautiful thing. If we loose, I’ll rather loose supporting a team with some hope, not any other way. Would you not?

catstrophy
February 13, 2007, 11:45 PM
man... this was soo tough for me to read and understand...but anyways....yea im hoping...who wouldnt....even if we say we'll lose the 2 big matches, deep down we all hope we MIGHT just win

Hatebreed
February 13, 2007, 11:51 PM
imahmud, please clean up your post, it's very hard to read.

Also, all World Cup related posts must be posted the ICC World Cup 2007 forum. Mods, please move this.

Ehsan
February 13, 2007, 11:53 PM
Moved.

tutul
February 14, 2007, 12:14 AM
How to Have Hope...? (http://www.wikihow.com/Have-Hope)

israr
February 14, 2007, 01:47 PM
:) * Mistakenly posted on the wrong forum earlier. Sorry for the repeat. Thank you.

Hope and World Cup
:o
<O:p></O:p>I have waited for a while before this writing as I’ve been watching people nagging and crying about Ashraful’s or Tamim’s (he should be sacked etc.) and other’s inclusion in the Zimbabwe tour or even recent world cup selection. Ok, if we let these people select a team with all our consistently performing players, what type of result would you expect? Think about it. We will be playing against team like India</ST1:p and Srilanka, who are in tremendous form lately. With this high profile superstar-consisting team, <ST1:p</ST1:pat best, our achievement would be a graceful defeat and a win against <ST1:pBermuda</ST1:p. No doubt, that would what everyone will expect with that kind of team. With this characteristics (consistent players only) of a team, that would be the best our selection committee and these people could hope, which is hopeless. I would not expect our selection committee would do that. I would have agreed with this kind of team selection if it is any other one day tournament but not for World Cup. I can not imagine that our team competing in the world cup without hope, without any hope to go to the next round and cause few surprises or may be the ultimate. We all have hope and dream and we would like to keep that hope of fire alive. Hope is a beautiful think. It keeps you alive and we would like to keep our dream alive. Wouldn’t you?
<O:p</O:p
It was not long ago (1996) when low favorite Srilanka surprised the cricket world and became the world champion. I believe Dave Whatmore definitively gambled on that occasion. When it was a tradition to plan to face first 5 to 10 overs very cautiously and then slowly pile up runs in one day cricket but Dave gambled and Srilanka showed the world how to start the one day cricket and rest was history. Yes, Dave gambled because he wanted to keep the hope alive and he had a hope. Hope is a beautiful thing. And I salute our selection committee and Dave not giving up that hope by NOT selecting a team with only our consistent performers (you know what I mean), a hopeless expectation. I congratulate them for taking the challenge. I congratulate them despite probable heavy criticism and pressure, showing the guts and for giving us hope by selecting a team which is completely capable of beating any team in the world on their day, just like Srilanka. I see a parallel. Hope is a beautiful thing. If we loose, I’ll rather loose supporting a team with some hope, not any other way. Would you not?

Grasped your point completely. And yes, I support Dave 100% in this case.