PDA

View Full Version : “This is life”, says Pilot

babubangla
February 14, 2007, 10:37 AM
I was looking everywhere to read Khaled Masud Pilot’s reaction to his omission from the World Cup Squad. But Media could not reach him yesterday. At last Bdnews24.com published Pilot’s reaction today:

"Yes, I feel sad. I thought I would get a chance. I was taking mental preparation for the World Cup, but this is life."

He refused to make any further comments on the omission.

Source: Bdnews24.com (http://www.bdnews24.com/details.php?cid=2&id=58934#tp58978)

Farhad
February 14, 2007, 10:47 AM
Looks like he learned from previous mistakes when talking to the media:)..

Mahmood
February 14, 2007, 10:48 AM
It all depends on the fans now. Fans forced BCB to take Nannu to World cup. Fans forced BCB to take Bashar in the first test.

I personaly dont think Pliot would do as much as Nannu or Bashar did, Musfiq will do as bad or only better, but thats just me. I have a feeling the fans will start protesting soon and bring back Masud.

babubangla
February 14, 2007, 10:53 AM
It all depends on the fans now. Fans forced BCB to take Nannu to World cup. Fans forced BCB to take Bashar in the first test.

I have a feeling the fans will start protesting soon and bring back Masud.

In fact, it started already.

'No Pilot, No World Cup'

Dhaka, Feb 14 (bdnews24.com) –Hundreds of cricket fans took to the streets Wednesday, demanding inclusion of Khaled Mashud Pilot in the Bangladesh World Cup team.

"No Pilot, No World Cup", they chanted, as they marched through the main streets in Pilot's hometown of Rajshahi.

"It's a shame that South Asia's best wicketkeeper could not have a place in the World Cup squad," Ratan, a hardcore Pilot fan told bdnews24.com in Rajshahi.

"As a cricket fan, I think Pilot should have been in the national squad for the World Cup," interim government advisor Tapan Chowdhury said.

Bangladesh cricket board announced a 15-man squad for the World Cup, omitting the veteran wicketkeeper and a former national team captain.

The omission drew flaks from former national cricketers, selectors and chiefs, who accused the board of bias and willfully omitting the 30-year-old cricketer.

The cricket board has defended the omission, saying international cricket rules make inclusion of any player impossible after the formal team announcement.

"Only those who have been named in the 15-man squad will play the World Cup. The International Cricket Council rules bar any other players to be in the side," BCB general secretary Mahbub Anam said.

Fans, however, promised non-stop protests to haul Pilot back into the World Cup.
"They made the same argument when they omitted (Minhajul Abedin) Nannu from the World Cup team in 1999. But he was back after people's protests," a fan said.
Anam, however, ruled out any Nannu-style return for Pilot.

"We are not in 1999. The ICC now has stringent rules on team selection," he told bdnews24.com.

Bengal Tigers who follow the Bangladesh team in all the domestic and foreign series protested the decision, demanding Pilot's return to the squad.

At least 14 ex- directors of the cricket board condemned the omission Wednesday, saying they were 'stunned' by the decision.

"There is no alternative to Pilot in the World Cup. He is experienced player and his inclusion should have been an automatic choice," said a joint statement of the ex-chiefs.

"We think he is a victim of malice and there is some ulterior motive behind his omission," it said, urging the sports advisor to take necessary step to bring Pilot back into the fold.

The former wicketkeeper who played 126 one-dayers with an aggregate score of 1818 refused to make any comment on the omission.

"Yes, I feel sad. I thought I would get a chance. I was taking mental preparation for the World Cup," Pilot said.

"But this is life."

Tigers_eye
February 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
Shala ki ekta desh'a jonmaisi. We can't accept anything that goes against our wish. Unnoti ki shadhey hoi na.

I feel like organizing another protest against the current huliganism. "No pilot no WC" ki kotha. As if Pilot will win us the world cup by himself.

SMHasan
February 14, 2007, 11:01 AM
I don't understand why people are protesting to bring Masud back into the team where as we got a killer like JO in our team. Yes the batsman who eats ball after ball and got a loosing attitude he is a killer and destructive. People should start protesting against his inclusion.

Can't imagine in one day cricket if you don't play for runs then why you should be selected? Should not he called as dream killer?

Mark Waugh once said to a Bangladeshi reporter that if you stay in the wicket and don't make runs then leave. One day cricket is all about runs. He basically critisized the loosing attitude of Bangladeshi batsmen.

AsifTheManRahman
February 14, 2007, 11:19 AM
Shala ki ekta desh'a jonmaisi. We can't accept anything that goes against our wish. Unnoti ki shadhey hoi na.

I feel like organizing another protest against the current huliganism. "No pilot no WC" ki kotha. As if Pilot will win us the world cup by himself.

exactly my sentiments. shob kisu ki faizlamo naki?

reverse_swing
February 14, 2007, 11:39 AM
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr class="tdn" valign="top"><td style="background: rgb(239, 238, 233) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;" id="tdn10" height="23" width="14">
</td> <td style="background: rgb(239, 238, 233) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;" id="tdn20" width="6"> </td> <td style="background: rgb(239, 238, 233) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;" id="tdn30" width="579"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5" width="97%"> <tbody><tr> <td id="dimg0" align="left" width="590"> Dhaka, Feb 14 (bdnews24.com) – The government will investigate Khaled Mashud Pilot's omission from the World Cup Squad, the sports adviser said Wednesday.

"We will investigate the allegations" whether Pilot was a victim of malice or was kept out of the team for pure cricketing reason, sports adviser Tapan Chowdhury told bdnews24.com by phone.

"As a cricket fan, I think Pilot should have been in the World Cup Squad," he said.

Bangladesh Cricket Board named a 15-man team for next month's World Cup cricket Tuesday, omitting the veteran wicketkeeper from the squad.

The omission drew flak from cricket fans, former national cricketers, selectors and cricket board chiefs. They accused the selectors of bias and intentionally keeping the 30-year-old cricketer off the squad.

Hundreds of fans took to the streets in Pilot's hometown of Rajshahi protesting the controversial decision. "No Pilot, No World Cup," they chanted as they marched through Rajshahi streets.

The sports adviser promised to take the issue with the cricket board chief.

"I will talk to the cricket board president. We will take action if it is found that Pilot has been kept out of the team for reasons other than cricket," he said.

The sports advisor also ruled out any intervention into the selection process.

"No, I won't intervene. There is a selection committee to pick the team and the committee did their job. Primarily I want to believe they have done it for the sake of team's interest."

While announcing the World Cup squad, chief selector Faruque Ahmed said Pilot had been on a poor form for the last 25 matches.

"He was kept out because we felt he was not making enough runs for long," Ahmed said.

Young wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim was favoured over Pilot as the selectors said Rahim's batting prowess would offset his lack of experience.

"He gives the right sort of flexibilities in our batting order," Ahmed said.
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody> </table> BDNews24 (http://bdnews24.com/details.php?id=58987&cid=5)

allrounder
February 14, 2007, 11:45 AM
for a Bangladeshi batsman to be able to stay on crease is a big accomplishment in the first place. Our average test innings are a little less or more than 1 day, our 1 day score are less than 200 not completing 50 overs mostly against the big teams. Recall how common it is to lose wkts within in the first few overs of BD innings against big teams? And all we would pray for is that the batsman stay out there and not play hasty shots or poke at balls outside the stumps to give catches behind the stumps. Our trademark khocha to almost every outside delivery by majority of our top order was the reason for our collaspe before even reaching 50 runs.

ialbd
February 14, 2007, 12:15 PM
now this is way too much, I understand 'sentimental' fans protesting in the streets and and possible torching of properties but government probe and everything..... thats so impulsive.

although I voiced my support in favor of pilot to some extent, I want the selection committee to stand their ground. Bangladesh Cricket Board is not a joke and to justify our professionalism under no circumstances we should change our squad.

Nasif
February 14, 2007, 12:18 PM
Another Nannu episode is coming up...

This is very funny, really.

cricketboy
February 14, 2007, 12:48 PM

Protest is must. Why didnt they take Pilot instead of Golla? What is the use of taking Golla as the 4th opener? Rather Mushfique is young and he may fail and then we can revert back to Pilot if he is in the squad.

reverse_swing
February 14, 2007, 01:25 PM
Mashud not lost
Mohammad Isam

Khaled Mashud welcomed the decision when he was asked to sit out the last two matches of the Zimbabwe series at home. Without asking too many questions, he let a young turk play. Again, just before the Scotland series in December, the same was asked of this man. You are not indispensable, so take 'rest', the Bangladesh team management told him at that time.
For a man who has been standing behind the wicket for the past twelve years, even to ask him in this manner was unjustified. But Mashud did not ask any questions, rather thought that it was quite logical since it was wise to give young Mushfiqur Rahim a chance to play at the top level so that the baby-faced cricketer from Bogra can fit into his gloves.
But he never thought that his unconditional loyalty to the selectors would bring so much pain that he had ever endured in his luminous career.
"When I was injured during that league match against Biman (last month) at BKSP, I thought that it would be a big risk (to play in Zimbabwe) since I was assured of going to the World Cup," said Mashud while bearing his soul to a few reporters at a tranquil Dhanmondi Cricket Academy ground yesterday, a day after the selectors omitted him from the World Cup squad.
"The biggest surprise for me was that I was rested from playing at home just so that a young player could get acquainted with the international scene. Now, I am not going to the World Cup.
"I must say that whoever has held my league performance against me, does not cover domestic cricket. When I play for Abahani, I cannot use those premier league matches just as my springboard to get into form. Playing for a big club like Abahani is very important so I just cannot play at four or five to get a big innings under my belt. I prefer playing for my team rather for myself," said the 31-year-old while responding to criticism that his domestic performance was not up to the mark.
Chief selector Faruque Ahmed and Co. might have considered his non-performance or to say the least his non-appearance as an excuse to chop him. But forget his recent form.
Just like every team he has represented so far in his career, he has added more than just the physical self. He knows how to motivate players in different situations and also is a master at distracting the opponent. Experience of playing against all international teams could have been handy but the selectors decided otherwise -- they went for a plus-minus approach when it came to carrying experienced players.
"Honestly, calling up Javed (Omar) is somewhat correct but he should have been given time to settle in. There was ample opportunity for the team to test him out once more, over the last two months," said Mashud.
He however said that he was shocked to learn that Rajin Saleh was being considered as a second wicket-keeping option. He refused to be drawn into any other talk about the selection.
Despite all the pain he is going through at the moment, he said that he felt victor after the support he received from former players and the people of the country, particularly in his hometown Rajshahi, ever since news broke that he is not going to the biggest cricket tournament.
"The support from former players and captains has given me a lot of hope. They are all on my side and the amount of support I have received from the public has made me realise, over the past 24 hours, that I am not lost yet," he admitted.
"I am not lost to cricket. I am not lost as a cricketer."
But three former cricketers decided to disagree with the rest of the country and that has nailed his exclusion from the national side.
Was it a personal issue with chief selector Faruque then? Whispers are that Faruque's role in the Reebok commission affair back in August is in the root of all the trouble. Apparently, Faruque solely blames Mashud for blowing up the secret.
Decency was also missing when only coach Dav Whatmore informed this big name about his omission.
"Dav was kind enough to inform me that I was not considered for the World Cup squad but I am a bit shocked that I did not even get a phone call from my long-time teammate and captain Habib (Bashar)," said Mashud.
So now we have to see the 'best wicketkeeper in the country' sitting it out but Mashud denies to stay quiet.
"I am a cricket player and all my life I have been involved in cricket -- matches, practices, etc. So I cannot just sit and not play. I will be playing for Rajshahi in the national league, hopefully from this round (against Chittagong)," said a man regarded as one of the best wicketkeepers in the world.
"(Sourav) Ganguly can be a great example for my situation. He has showed how to get back against all adversities."
Back in April, Australian superstar Michael Hussey asked Khaled Mashud when will they meet again, just as he was checking out of his team hotel in Dhaka. He quickly answered his own question: 'See you at the World Cup'. The irony is that Hussey will definitely miss him.
It is true that Mashud's batting has been on the wane for the last year or so but it was never even expected that he would not go to the World Cup to fight one last battle.

from DS >> (http://thedailystar.net/2007/02/15/d70215040126.htm)

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 14, 2007, 01:40 PM
exactly my sentiments. shob kisu ki faizlamo naki?

so do you think mushfiq will bring us the world cup?

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 14, 2007, 01:42 PM
Protest is must. Why didnt they take Pilot instead of Golla? What is the use of taking Golla as the 4th opener? Rather Mushfique is young and he may fail and then we can revert back to Pilot if he is in the squad.

very good observation. in reality we are only going to play 3 matches unless something really good happens. in that case what is 4 openers going to do? are they going to change them every match? isnt it better to take an extra keeper instead?

Sovik
February 14, 2007, 01:56 PM

do you think pilot would have done that?

akabir77
February 14, 2007, 01:56 PM
Why the stupid journalist and fan's forgot what their beloved player brought us from WC03? Did they forgot how he missed three simple chance against kenya and lost us the match? how he captained the team??? no one mentions those? how he was out all night drinking and doing stuff with... No one mentions that. Its his copal that there were no replacement of him at that time or he wouldn't see the green of any stadium after that.

Why the hell govt people r getting involved? That guy is the boss of BCCB is saying he thinks pilot should be there. I ask what is his experience on cricket first before giving comment.

And I am sure there were 30 people in that rally and the paper people r just trying to make that a huge rally.

I guess Mush DOSH is he is from bogura so automatically SHOTRU of all AL supporters and AL Papers.

akabir77
February 14, 2007, 01:58 PM
So do u think Pilot will bring us the worldcup. by excluding him at least we r making sure the message goes to every one. no one in future will do what he did in WC03. stay out all night and doing funky business...

No one as their father right on anything in BD

akabir77
February 14, 2007, 02:00 PM
very good observation. in reality we are only going to play 3 matches unless something really good happens. in that case what is 4 openers going to do? are they going to change them every match? isnt it better to take an extra keeper instead?

If it was some one else yeah i agree with you about taking a backup wktkpr but we r talking about PILOT here. What do u think will happen if he is in the team but not in the playing 11? BD might lose to bermuda if can get his way...

Miraz
February 14, 2007, 02:31 PM

Sorry, Nasif bhai, this is not funny anymore...

This is simply pathetic.

If Pilot can somehow succeed to enter into the team through back door, the world cup disaster is a must. I am more worried at the the disarray looming on the cricket team which can hold us back for few more years.

Miraz
February 14, 2007, 02:37 PM
Mashud not lost
Mohammad Isam

Khaled Mashud welcomed the decision when he was asked to sit out the last two matches of the Zimbabwe series at home. Without asking too many questions, he let a young turk play. ----------------------------------------
------------------
------------------

from DS >> (http://thedailystar.net/2007/02/15/d70215040126.htm)

This reporter should start writing romantic novel rather than cricket reporting.

Rubbish.

TheWatcher
February 14, 2007, 02:44 PM
I have my respect for the caretaker government, but who is this moron Tapan Chowdhury ? I understand our selectors have a shady history and it is very possible that they may have a personal fued with Pilot, but running an investigation at this point will be a very demoralizing factor for the team that got selected, especially for Mushfiq. Right or wrong, we can't change the team now, we need to show our full support for whoever got selected. Why can't they wait until the world cup is over before they start this mess ? is it too much to ask for?

Miraz
February 14, 2007, 02:48 PM
Pilot caused all the mess in World Cup 2003 while he was on the field.

This time he is ensuring to make even worse mess while off the field.

Disgusting.

Some of our ex-players and this 'new cricket adviser' cannot rise above their personal choices. Shame!!

reverse_swing
February 14, 2007, 02:49 PM
I have my respect for the caretaker government, but who is this moron Tapan Chowdhury ? I understand our selectors have a shady history and it is very possible that they may have a personal fued with Pilot, but running an investigation at this point will be a very demoralizing factor for the team that got selected, especially for Mushfiq. Right or wrong, we can't change the team now, we need to show our full support for whoever got selected. Why can't they wait until the world cup is over before they start this mess ? is it too much to ask for?

Spot on! I am afraid it will make an impact to our overall performence in this forthcoming WC.

shujan
February 14, 2007, 02:55 PM
Rahim is better then pilot with bat. He played one down like a matured player in the ODI against Zimbabwe. He is also better with SR. In absence of Mehrab in the opening slot Rahim become the stabilizer element in the top order with higher SR. Hot rod SN, Tamim and Aftab is complemented by Rahims situational batting. We need Rahims bat as well as his glove.

TheWatcher
February 14, 2007, 03:26 PM
Ask Pilot to play against England-A and perform as a batsman, then we will see how many paddy make how many rice.

sar2005
February 14, 2007, 03:45 PM
Sorry, Nasif bhai, this is not funny anymore...

This is simply pathetic.

If Pilot can somehow succeed to enter into the team through back door, the world cup disaster is a must. I am more worried at the the disarray looming on the cricket team which can hold us back for few more years.

Spot on........WC03 memory still hunts!
and one more issue is -
"..........I am a bit shocked that I did not even get a phone call from my long-time teammate and captain Habib (Bashar)," said Mashud".

sar2005
February 14, 2007, 03:49 PM
Ask Pilot to play against England-A and perform as a batsman, then we will see how many paddy make how many rice.

Good point............a century against England A....and he is back.

AsifTheManRahman
February 14, 2007, 05:00 PM

no. i think we will get thrashed by india and sri lanka.

what i'm saying is that kothay kothay andolon r "no pilot no world cup" marka kothabarta shunle ga jole. :)

Shahjamal
February 14, 2007, 05:55 PM
Some of you are talking about the speech of an advisor and the president of BCB. But if you look at the other countries like Australia, the Prime minister always comment about cricket and he openly talks about his favourite players. After exclusion of Ganguly, it was discussed even in the parliament of India. So I do not find any wrong about the comments of the advisors. They have their own liking or disliking but if they try to influence the selectors with their power,that is quite unexpected.
The supporters have every right to say anything about their liking. If I think that I am always right, others are faltu, creates a big problem. This caused a great problem against development. I can place arguments in support of my choice but I have to respect others. No alternative to be respectful to others.

FaridpurChicago
February 14, 2007, 06:25 PM
In Mashud not lost article, Mohammad Islam wrote:
"Back in April, Australian superstar Michael Hussey asked Khaled Mashud when will they meet again, just as he was checking out of his team hotel in Dhaka. He quickly answered his own question: 'See you at the World Cup'. The irony is that Hussey will definitely miss him."

I think Pilot should get into the team for the sake of Hussey. We should consider the matter seriously as Hussey will miss him.
I don't see any other reason though.

FaridpurChicago
February 14, 2007, 06:30 PM
People who are thinking of taking Pilot as backup keeper instead of JO or four opener:

Do you think team management could put Pilot on the bench had he been there in the team? Here's a big difference between JO and Pilot although both of them are losers of the same magnitude. JO will be used as a worm to keep the bench warm. Pilot couldn't be used for that. I do salute Faruq for his decision.

Sovik
February 14, 2007, 06:34 PM
In Mashud not lost article, Mohammad Islam wrote:
"Back in April, Australian superstar Michael Hussey asked Khaled Mashud when will they meet again, just as he was checking out of his team hotel in Dhaka. He quickly answered his own question: 'See you at the World Cup'. The irony is that Hussey will definitely miss him."

I think Pilot should get into the team for the sake of Hussey. We should consider the matter seriously as Hussey will miss him.
I don't see any other reason though.

aren't they both married? i always thought the brokeback mountain movie is a bad influence

TheWatcher
February 14, 2007, 07:30 PM
"I must say that whoever has held my league performance against me, does not cover domestic cricket. When I play for Abahani, I cannot use those premier league matches just as my springboard to get into form. Playing for a big club like Abahani is very important so I just cannot play at four or five to get a big innings under my belt. I prefer playing for my team rather for myself," said the 31-year-old while responding to criticism that his domestic performance was not up to the mark.
-DS
The above para clearly shows Pilot himself doesn't have enough confidence left in his batting ability. There was a time he used to open for Abahani, now he does not trust himself to bat in the middle order ! Then, if he really cares about Abahani, why was he occupying a spot in the team (when he was injured and could not keep) to begin with ? For a match or two, he forced Abahani's back up keeper Kuntal Chandra (who, btw, made better scores) out of the team (so he himself can play) and made Jahurul Islam keep the wicket. Now he is the one singing the song about the importance of a quality keeper in the team, what a hypocrate !

gatekeeper
February 14, 2007, 09:19 PM
I have a feeling the fans will start protesting soon and bring back Masud.

I doubt that. Pilots replacement is far better than Nanu or Basher's alternatives.

BD Tigers
February 14, 2007, 09:53 PM
For some weird reason I dont see Cricinfo has any report on our team selection. Does this mean that the team has not been submitted to the ICC yet? If that is the case, then there is a very good chance of getting Pilot in the team like Nannu and last time it happened, Nannu made the difference in that world cup. Who know may be Pilot might do the same.

kalpurush
February 14, 2007, 09:54 PM

Yes! You could protest against JO's inclusion in the team-for sure. But, protest to bring back Pilot in the squad....is simply unjustified and would creat further problem.

kalpurush
February 14, 2007, 09:57 PM
For some weird reason I dont see Cricinfo has any report on our team selection. Does this mean that the team has not been submitted to the ICC yet? If that is the case, then there is a very good chance of getting Pilot in the team like Nannu and last time it happened, Nannu made the difference in that world cup. Who know may be Pilot might do the same.

Pilot is a closed case.

kalpurush
February 14, 2007, 10:09 PM

WHY?...an extra keeper? Same question I am asking you.....only for three matches why we need two keepers? :confused:

shaoun
February 14, 2007, 10:57 PM
some decent performance against a third class zimbabwe team and musfique replaces khaled mashud. in a tournament like the world cup you dont bring in new players. we had a bad performance in 2003 world cup because selectors brought in too many young players. experience is a must in a big tournament like the world cup. in 2003 we didnt do bad because of pilot, we did bad because selectors decided to keep out experience players like akram khan and aminul islam and bring in rookies like ehsanul haque, hannan sharkar. akram khan went for last 2 matches to replace injured masrafee and scored 41 against kenya. that was better tehn most of our batsman in the world cup. and last world cup akram wasnt even in the 30 players list. mushfique maybe the future, i hope he is but replacing khaled mashud for him right before the world cup is a big mistake. there is a huge difference between zimbabwe and team like india and srilanka. and khaled mashud has experience playing in west indies. he even has a century against them. i dont know why he was dropped but i hope selectors brings him back.

PoorFan
February 15, 2007, 12:37 AM
I think this comment I made in other thread, also belongs to this thread.

Looks like things are really getting nasty ... beyond my imagination. I was one of them who supported Mashud for WC in the poll thread 'Yes or no; part -2' by Miraz, yet I fully support selectors because of Mashud's recent from, which is nowhere near to our expectation, that is ... a WIN by any means out of ONLY 2 match!

Lets say,, both Mashud & Mushi has been taken in the 15 squad ... which seems makes happy almost every whiners ...

and then what?

We got a trio series and two practice match before WC, so we can try Mashud & Mushi in those matches and see their performance. And I am sure, Mushi will lead in batting performance as he did already, if you compare their performance against same opponent Zimbo. Since both of them played bad in league, and more over Mashud got injured which kept him out of field these days, left no choice but to judge on against Zimbo performance. How many crucial winning innings or partnership that Mahud played we can rememberin last 1 or 2 years? Is there any? But Mushi just did that twice in last Zimbo tour, didn't he?

Now if this was not enough to judge,, saying it was against weak opponents, than will those practice match performance be enough to judge? ...

if not, then what?

In the eve of India match we are still not sure whom to select for final eleven! ... and a safe move is to play Mashud, but then again according to some pundit and some diehard 'EEEdiot butt kicker', this is the match we should 'do or die'! Should we stick to a respectable 20 runs, or throw a stone expecting potential few more runs? Here Mashud would have lost his position in final eleven against India. ...

and again then what?

Then comes Sri Lanka ... If we lose 1st match against India, than this match is our LAST chance to make any difference in WC. So in same logic as against India, we must have to go out with everything we have for WIN, which again would put Masud in sideline.On the other hand if we win, no one is going to change team anyway. ...

Finally,, then what?

Win or lose against India, SL don't make any difference who plays against Bermuda. ... so no point of argue since we are granted for a win here.

So, what is the point of taking both Mashud & Mushi in the team? unless we take Mashud ( or vise versa ) as backup wicket keeper? and how worthy is it leaving another specialist batsman in home instead? This is why selectors take Rajin as backup batsman who can play anywhere ( open and middle, and someone said he also can keep ) if needed, and Javd as opening specialist backup ( for Tamim & Nafees ), and both of them has scored reasonable in league.

<!--StartFragment -->I am sure Rajin & Javed are sitting in sideline, unless anything bad happen ( hope not ) to our regular batsman.

PoorFan
February 15, 2007, 12:53 AM
... there is a huge difference between zimbabwe and team like india and srilanka. and khaled mashud has experience playing in west indies. he even has a century against them. i dont know why he was dropped but i hope selectors brings him back.
<!--StartFragment -->
Please explain in keeping,, HOW it make HUGE difference between zimbabwe and team like india and srilanka? And HOW it helps in experience ( keeping? or batting? ) which was 3+ YEARS ago? And his century in TEST??

He was dropped with hope of FEW MORE runs ( from Mushi ) to WIN a match at ANY cost, even if we lose BIG ... doesn't matter, BUT WIN!!

Sumon77
February 15, 2007, 01:29 AM
http://jaijaidin.com/view_news.php?News-ID=29395&issue=223&nav_id=4
‘এখনো বিশ্বাসই হচ্ছে না আমি স্কোয়াডে নেই৷ দল ঘোষণার এক ঘণ্টা আগেও জানতাম না বিষয়টা৷ কোচ হোয়াটমোর যখন জানালেন আমি দলে নেই, যেন আকাশ ভেঙে পড়েছিল মাথায়৷’ এরপর প্রথমে ভেবেছিলেন সংবাদ সম্মেলন ডেকে নির্বাচকদের কাছে প্রকাশ্যে জানতে চাইবেন ‘কেন তাকে দল থেকে বাদ দেয়া হয়েছে৷’
He is so arrogant that he even wanted to question his omission in press conference. what he thinks of himself? he is just a mediocre in the team, not even a heavy weight like Mash, Nafees or Aftab. He always has attitude problem. It was best to leave him behind.

PoorFan
February 15, 2007, 01:53 AM
http://jaijaidin.com/view_news.php?News-ID=29395&issue=223&nav_id=4
‘এখনো বিশ্বাসই হচ্ছে না আমি স্কোয়াডে নেই৷ দল ঘোষণার এক ঘণ্টা আগেও জানতাম না বিষয়টা৷ কোচ হোয়াটমোর যখন জানালেন আমি দলে নেই, যেন আকাশ ভেঙে পড়েছিল মাথায়৷’ এরপর প্রথমে ভেবেছিলেন সংবাদ সম্মেলন ডেকে নির্বাচকদের কাছে প্রকাশ্যে জানতে চাইবেন ‘কেন তাকে দল থেকে বাদ দেয়া হয়েছে৷’
He is so arrogant that he even wanted to question his omission in press conference. what he thinks of himself? he is just a mediocre in the team, not even a heavy weight like Mash, Nafees or Aftab. He always has attitude problem. It was best to leave him behind.
<!--StartFragment -->Poor guy!!!,, he should have done that to close HIS case for EVER!

PoorFan
February 15, 2007, 05:57 AM
Not just Mashud, but take a look how other dropped players reacted, it shows their mind set and how lightly they are thinking to be called in National team.

Faruque lied!
Tigercricket.com , undated

It is a mystery for seaming all-rounder Mohammad Sharif why he is not in the World Cup squad that was announced on Tuesday.

"I was extremely hopeful even last (Monday) night that I was going to the West Indies. But the chief selector (Faruque Ahmed) called me in the morning to tell me that I was not in the side because of my injury," said Sharif, who had been recalled to the national side after five years for the just concluded Zimbabwe trip.
"Actually right now I have no injury problem at all. I had a hamstring cramp in the second ODI and that healed the same day. Team physio Paul (Close) had also given me green signal about my fitness," he claimed.

Middle-order batsman Tushar Imran was more forthright about what he thought regarding the views of the selectors that he has been given enough opportunities.

"I agree that they gave me chances but those games were mostly against Australia and England in England. In the last series (in Zimbabwe) I got one match and was out first ball. But I went to the crease at number seven which is not my position."

"They (the selectors) did not want me in the team. I think it would have been better had I not been picked for Zimbabwe. Then I could have played in the domestic league and maybe a hundred or two here would have got me a World Cup ticket like some of the others," said Tushar.

Despite the feeling of frustration, the 24-year-old refused to allow disappointment to get the better of him. "I take this as a challenge. I will try to perform well for the Bangladesh A team against England A if I am selected and hopefully I will make a comeback for the national team sooner rather than later."

Mehrab Hossain, the 19-year-old opener, took his exclusion sportingly but admitted that it was unexpected.

"I could not perform in the last series but before that I though I had formed a good opening pair with Shahriar Nafees in the home series against Zimbabwe and Scotland. So it came as a shock to me. But I believe the selectors chose the squad for the greater interest of the country. Now my job is to concentrate more on my work and hopefully I will return shortly," responded the left-handed opener.

Source (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/02/15/d70215040228.htm)

Sharif got injured in second game in Zimbo without significant contribution but yet was 'extremely hopeful' to called! If someone blamed him hiding injury, I wouldn't be surprised, but seems he is not concerned.

Tushar got history of failure in real match, and he failed twice in Zimbo that the chance he has been given, yet he feel selectors made injustice to him.

Mehrab has no record playing against big team, criticized for slow run rate and had failed in Zimbo two consecutive game, yet was 'shocked' for not being called. But at least his comment shows respect to selectors at the end, which shows different character perhaps.

zakirc
February 15, 2007, 07:13 AM
Why the stupid journalist and fan's forgot what their beloved player brought us from WC03? Did they forgot how he missed three simple chance against kenya and lost us the match? how he captained the team??? no one mentions those? how he was out all night drinking and doing stuff with...

Pilot caused all the mess in World Cup 2003 while he was on the field.

Exactly my point, pilot was lucky we did not have a reasonable replacement then:-P. As far as I remember, he even received a caution from the board for his actions. Now that we have Mushfiq, reasonably good to replace him, its better that we give the kid some exposure for our future.:-*

JO will be used as a worm to keep the bench warm....

Have some respect man!!:mad:

For some weird reason I dont see Cricinfo has any report on our team selection.

Cricinfo actually reported the selection on 13 Feb. Link (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/story/280197.html)

They just don't have us on the cover page ... you need to visit Bangladesh's country site to get the article.

ZunaidH
February 15, 2007, 10:07 AM
Pilot has wisened up! Reflecting on life is a good thing. It builds character. He has played in a couple of world cups. So he is missing one. Realistically, the only reason Pilot would have got a chance is if Mushfiq gets injured. If that happens, I am sure BCB can buy a ticket for Mashud to fly him in. I personally think it is a good decision to exclude him. Sitting on the sidelines would probably have much worse affect on him than staying at home.

akabir77
February 15, 2007, 10:38 AM
some decent performance against a third class zimbabwe team and musfique replaces khaled mashud. in a tournament like the world cup you dont bring in new players. we had a bad performance in 2003 world cup because selectors brought in too many young players. experience is a must in a big tournament like the world cup. in 2003 we didnt do bad because of pilot, we did bad because selectors decided to keep out experience players like akram khan and aminul islam and bring in rookies like ehsanul haque, hannan sharkar. akram khan went for last 2 matches to replace injured masrafee and scored 41 against kenya. that was better tehn most of our batsman in the world cup. and last world cup akram wasnt even in the 30 players list. mushfique maybe the future, i hope he is but replacing khaled mashud for him right before the world cup is a big mistake. there is a huge difference between zimbabwe and team like india and srilanka. and khaled mashud has experience playing in west indies. he even has a century against them. i dont know why he was dropped but i hope selectors brings him back.

U r right on the money but you r forgetting two things one at that time it was pilot who made the decision to take young players and made the selectors not to chose players like akram and javed (i think bulbul was in Australia by then). And After the wc when the selectors resign they said that to the media and the inquiry people.

Number two is we have less new players now. Only tamim and Mushfiq and rasell have no previous WC experience. even so Rasell got more ODI under his belt then most of the players selected in WC03. So i am not that afraid this time around. Remember this team has alread won a away series, two white washes and some have experience beating AUS, SL and India.

Sauron
February 15, 2007, 10:39 AM
This is a very major test of our cricketing culture and organization.

If Pilot gets back in the team - we all lose.

If Pilot stays out - we all win, except for Pilot.

Regardless of what we feel about his selection, he needs to be left out.

SMHasan
February 15, 2007, 12:02 PM
Cricinfo actually reported the selection on 13 Feb. Link (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/story/280197.html)

They just don't have us on the cover page ... you need to visit Bangladesh's country site to get the article.

They did not post the news on the front page because they know by now that there is another better web site from where bd fan can get the latest news.

cricketboy
February 17, 2007, 02:12 AM
Not just Mashud, but take a look how other dropped players reacted, it shows their mind set and how lightly they are thinking to be called in National team.

Source (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/02/15/d70215040228.htm)

Sharif got injured in second game in Zimbo without significant contribution but yet was 'extremely hopeful' to called! If someone blamed him hiding injury, I wouldn't be surprised, but seems he is not concerned.

Tushar got history of failure in real match, and he failed twice in Zimbo that the chance he has been given, yet he feel selectors made injustice to him.

Mehrab has no record playing against big team, criticized for slow run rate and had failed in Zimbo two consecutive game, yet was 'shocked' for not being called. But at least his comment shows respect to selectors at the end, which shows different character perhaps.

I agree with Tushar, maybe if he stayed and played domestic cricket he could have scored a hundred or 2 and be selected instead of Golla. They gave him 1 chance and that too at no 7. But Mushfique was given chance at no 3. I think its all preplanned. :mad:

akabir77
February 17, 2007, 11:30 AM
I agree with Tushar, maybe if he stayed and played domestic cricket he could have scored a hundred or 2 and be selected instead of Golla. They gave him 1 chance and that too at no 7. But Mushfique was given chance at no 3. I think its all preplanned. :mad:

I agree with you that he didn't get a chance in 3/4 position but he got a chance at 7 and still made zero? why? is there any thorne in position 7? and bd was not in pressure too? Also how did they plan that mush will bat at 3/4 and will score? did they bribe the zimbo team to do that?

I know he is better than golla and I like him very much. but the way he almost lost the match for that he souldn't be in the team for WC. If the management can't rely on you to take the team from there in that macth what confedence you gave them in to take him in WC?

TheWatcher
February 17, 2007, 01:58 PM
Sounds like someone has finally put some senses into our sports admins-

New Age: ‘Govt will stay out of Mashud matter’

Sports adviser of the caretaker government Tapan Chowdhury categorically ruled out any government intervention to get former national captain and wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud included in Bangladesh’s World Cup squad.

‘We have a selection committee in the Bangladesh Cricket Board which works independently. I don’t like to interfere in their work,’ said Tapan while addressing a seminar organised by the Bangladesh Sports Writers Association at the newly-built National Sports Council tower on Saturday.

‘The moment I heard about it I talked to the president of the BCB and asked him to converse with the coach at least to get a clear view. And he did it accordingly. The BCB president was told by coach Dav Whatmore that Mashud had been dropped on certain grounds,’ he said.

‘Bangladesh needed someone who could bat well besides keep wicket. But the selectors were not confident about Mashud filing that role,’ Tapan quoted Whatmore as saying to the BCB president.

‘Let’s forget the issue and support the Bangladesh team during the World Cup,’ he urged the fans and the media.

Also, a good move by Bashar-
http://www.newagebd.com/2007/feb/18/spt2-b.jpg
Extending the olive branch: Bangladesh national captain Habibul Bashar and discarded wicketkeeper Khaled Masud are all smiles during a promotional programme held at a city hotel on Saturday.
— New Age photo

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 17, 2007, 02:24 PM
i still miss pilot. even bashar agreed to that. he will be missed. and he will be missed even more in the pitches of west indies. i wonder how many extras bangladesh have to count.

cricketboy
February 17, 2007, 07:18 PM
i still miss pilot. even bashar agreed to that. he will be missed. and he will be missed even more in the pitches of west indies. i wonder how many extras bangladesh have to count.
We will all miss Pilot. Lets hope Mushfique shows the world that he is a talent to reckon with and he is better than Pilot. :)

bengaltiger
February 17, 2007, 07:22 PM
government investigating (like the government doesn't have anything else to do)?? prtoests?? what is this i hear??

i honestly believe including JO in the team was a greater blunder than not including pilot. but kudos to the selectors for making a brave decision and shame on them for making a dumb one.