PDA

View Full Version : A Congratulations to the Selectors

sar2005
February 14, 2007, 12:20 PM
I am seeing so many threads on the reactions of the public, ex-players, SMS, care-taker goverment etc. etc.about the exclusion of Pilot for the WC squad which is quite expected for an immotional nation like BD. On the other hand, great to see that the many members in BC are not flowing with the imotional wave saying "Pilot did so much for the country that he should get a chance". Tell me few resons why should Pilot be included in the team. But I can imagine what went through the mind of Selectors while excluding him. Some of those could be -

- Did he play a single good innings in last 6 months?
- Has he the ability to play a match winning innings?
- Is he an exceptional wicket keeper who can dismiss a batsman with regular increadible performance?
- Is it the experience all should be counted? What role can experience play if the word 'form' is not there?
- Is he a good team man? (you know what I mean).
- Should we need to include him in the team because he 'was' good?

..........and so on.
You can add many questions as you want. As I said in some of my post seperate threads, this is nothing but complete imotion that is driving BD people to shout for PIlot. Come on guys, be professional and look at the world. There is no place of immotion if you want to go forward. We have no intension to disregard the contribution of Pilot to BD so far. We salute him for all his great finghtining contribution that thrilled us with respect. However, one has to remember, you can not just sit and cry for your co-solder/firend who has died in the field of battle. If you want to win the war, forget about the deadbody, leave it there - and go forward to grab the win. End of the day when you will be a winner, you will difinitely remember the contribution of those morter.

A big congratulations to the selectors for taking such a big and brave and bold decision that can only bring good and pride for the country. Let's thank them for their enterprise and wish all the best to our beloved team. Thank you selectors.

-

Pundit
February 14, 2007, 01:08 PM
I think the long hand of Tarek Rahman conspired to keep his cuty Bogra boy Mushfiq in the team at the expense of KM. I think people should go out a agitate against the continuing influence of the BNP govt. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Mohiul
February 14, 2007, 01:15 PM
Well-said sar2005.

Mohiul
February 14, 2007, 01:20 PM
I think the long hand of Tarek Rahman conspired to keep his cuty Bogra boy Mushfiq in the team at the expense of KM. I think people should go out a agitate against the continuing influence of the BNP govt. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Have you got any hint of clue for this conspiracy?

Tigers_eye
February 14, 2007, 01:28 PM
Blaming on Tarek is as lame as it gets. He is having a hard time trying to save his own butt, let alone try to save Musfiq's. This also tarnishes all the achievement the boy had in the age level and in the senior level. including the 115 against Norhampshire, the 18* at home and 42 and 57 at Zim when the team really needed him to step up.

layperson
February 14, 2007, 01:31 PM
I thought Pundit was being sarcastic in his post.

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 14, 2007, 01:37 PM
i dont even feel like watching or following the world cup anymore. wat did mushfiq do? play 2 good innings against zimbabwe!!!!!! good job.

reverse_swing
February 14, 2007, 01:43 PM
i dont even feel like watching or following the world cup anymore. wat did mushfiq do? play 2 good innings against zimbabwe!!!!!! good job.

What did Pilot do recently? Care to explain?

akabir77
February 14, 2007, 01:48 PM

WOW what a big fan of Pilot!! so u only wanted to watch WC so that u would be able to see your dashing wkt keeper? Thanks god that some one like you will not watch the WC anymore...Ok just kedding.

The selectors where looking for a batsman wktkeeper
In that category whom will you put first?
Yeah mushfiq didn't do exceptional work but Pilots form is so bad aborad and home that he didn't need to. Just think if he had made single 50 in the home games or any number of 20's in 30 balls in any intl it would have become very hard to give mushfiq a chance... SO blame no one... and please watch the WC pilot is not that good looking either. I think you will find Musfiq is more smart and dashing then him...:-D

Rubu
February 14, 2007, 01:51 PM
No sir, the selectors do not deserve any congratulation at all. The first year or so into their tenure they did a splendid job, it seemed even more splendid because we had the raw memory of the work of previous board. but then, pretty much everything went wayward. Lately, they are doing more things wrong than right. Keep in mind, due to McInnes' effort, they had quite a few players ready for picking. That made their job awefully easy. Still they have massed up on several occasions. Need I give some examples? I think its about time we get some of the other late legends such as bulbul, nannu or akram a chance into the selection board.

pagol-chagol
February 14, 2007, 02:03 PM

LOL. thats funny. It looks like selectors tried the 3rd pacer spot, the keeper and the 2nd opener with new guys and they were satisfied with the keeper only. They picked Tamim as a wild card "jodi laiga jai". They can justify all their selections with their philosophy. Most people in the board can't. Most old players, like Lipu, can't either. Lipu should be barred from any decision making process of BD cricket forever because of that comment.

Sovik
February 14, 2007, 02:06 PM
they don't deserve that. they picked javed

akabir77
February 14, 2007, 02:16 PM
No sir, the selectors do not deserve any congratulation at all. The first year or so into their tenure they did a splendid job, it seemed even more splendid because we had the raw memory of the work of previous board. but then, pretty much everything went wayward. Lately, they are doing more things wrong than right. Keep in mind, due to McInnes' effort, they had quite a few players ready for picking. That made their job awefully easy. Still they have massed up on several occasions. Need I give some examples? I think its about time we get some of the other late legends such as bulbul, nannu or akram a chance into the selection board.

he he if you put those three in the panel then we will see only 9 players as they won't agree on the other 6...

roaring tigerz
February 14, 2007, 02:19 PM
By hook or by crook, I believe in this case the ends justify the means. Get over it cry babies. Its just 3 games. The world cup is an inconsequential event to Bangladesh. If Mashud is good enough he will first perform and then get his place back. He is been cashing on his 'experience' x factor for far too long. A team of our stature were simply overburdened with that baggage. If he really is as indispensable as everyone makes him out to be, then have no worries. No force can leave him out forever!

sadi
February 14, 2007, 02:22 PM
Including Tamim right before the world cup or including Javed Omar in the World cup don't deserve any kind words. Then again, atleast they had the balls to go with Mushfiq. I have to give them some credit for that. Other than that, they could've done better.

Mridul
February 14, 2007, 02:34 PM

-

Why its 6 monhts?...why not look at last one year performance? How many times did he bat in last 6 months anyway? Most of the time we were winning by 7-8 wickets. Why dont u just look at his performance of last year only against a better quality opposition? How did he do against Australia last year?

Mushfique just played good againt Zimababwe after promoting in the batting position? Was Mashud ever promoted after showing a good performance at number 7?

Pilot did not do much in the domestic league. What have Mushfique done in the domestic league?

Mridul
February 14, 2007, 02:37 PM

Just check the last scorecard where BD played against a quality attack and the top/middle ordered collapsed

akabir77
February 14, 2007, 02:39 PM
I see 4/5 players out of the TEAM after the wc.

Musfiq as a keeper (he still might be in the team as a batsman)
Goola (he will retire from ODI)
Rajin (better players r here we don't need experience before next WC )
Ashrafull (no comment)
Hablu (in 1/2 years not right away)

akabir77
February 14, 2007, 02:41 PM
Why its 6 monhts?...why not look at last one year performance? How many times did he bat in last 6 months anyway? Most of the time we were winning by 7-8 wickets. Why dont u just look at his performance of last year only against a better quality opposition? How did he do against Australia last year?

Mushfique just played good againt Zimababwe after promoting in the batting position? Was Mashud ever promoted after showing a good performance at number 7?

Pilot did not do much in the domestic league. What have Mushfique done in the domestic league?

So far from memory i can say he was promoted at least in one macth and made below 5. (but the position was still 5/6). Ok look at his performance for the last year? what do u see?

We don't need him anymore to save our faces from Lojja anymore. He gave us that in WC2003 a lot more. I think we can't top that...

sar2005
February 14, 2007, 02:43 PM

I welcome your suggestion of inclusion of Nannu, Akram or Bulbul. The congratulation I conveyed is only for a specific decision which I found very brave and honest. I did not feel good seeing my of my brothers are in the street protesting the decision. Things are going further astry when care-taker govt. is commenting on the issues. I thought they (the selectors) definitely need some support this time which they deuly deserve.

sar2005
February 14, 2007, 02:46 PM
they don't deserve that. they picked javed

again, that's a seperate issue and I mostly agree with you. My congratulations is on the issue against which SMS voting and street protest is going on.

Mohiul
February 14, 2007, 02:49 PM
Just check the last scorecard where BD played against a quality attack and the top/middle ordered collapsed

Can you mention his performance in that particular match, please?

sar2005
February 14, 2007, 02:49 PM
By hook or by crook, I believe in this case the ends justify the means. Get over it cry babies. Its just 3 games. The world cup is an inconsequential event to Bangladesh. If Mashud is good enough he will first perform and then get his place back. He is been cashing on his 'experience' x factor for far too long. A team of our stature were simply overburdened with that baggage. If he really is as indispensable as everyone makes him out to be, then have no worries. No force can leave him out forever!

Nicely said. Couple of centuries by him in the domestic competition will bring him back again in the squad. Let him to show that first.

sadi
February 14, 2007, 02:59 PM
Was Mashud ever promoted after showing a good performance at number 7?

Okay lets look at it then. He did play two innings at number 5 and an innings at number 4 but didn't do much. That probably answer why he never bat up the order again.

Played number 5 against New Zealand and was bowled for 4 runs.
Played number 5 against India and was LBW for 12 runs.
Played number 4 against Kenya in 2003 World cup and was caught for 14 runs (41 balls)

He was never a top order quality batsman and thats why he never played up the order.

sar2005
February 14, 2007, 03:04 PM

Alright, let's take last one year. Would you please take the pain to dig his stat in last one year for all level of cricket? I was not only refering to the performance in national team, but also any kind of cricket. While talking about Mushfiq, yes he is also not a high performer in the domestic league but last few matches he played for BD was crucial. BD team throwed challenges to him by promoting him in the order while BD was struggling. He accepted the challenge and showed his tempartment (Let's keep aside his professional career - the way he has come to this stage through different age groups). I can remember that Pilot was promoted in many occassion and he was failed always while promoted.

Alright, if the category 'Match Winner' has 10 points in two sub-category (Batting 6 and Keeping 4), how would you mark them?

My marking would be -
Pilot - Batting 2 + Keeping 3 > Total 5
Mushfiq - Batting 4 + Keeping 2 > Total 6

sar2005
February 14, 2007, 03:21 PM
Okay lets look at it then. He did play two innings at number 5 and an innings at number 4 but didn't do much. That probably answer why he never bat up the order again.

Played number 5 against New Zealand and was bowled for 4 runs.
Played number 5 against India and was LBW for 12 runs.
Played number 4 against Kenya in 2003 World cup and was caught for 14 runs (41 balls)

He was never a top order quality batsman and thats why he never played up the order.

Thanks for the stat Ma'n. That says a lot.

Miraz
February 14, 2007, 03:56 PM
I am seeing so many threads on the reactions of the public, ex-players, SMS, care-taker goverment etc. etc.about the exclusion of Pilot for the WC squad which is quite expected for an immotional nation like BD. On the other hand, great to see that the many members in BC are not flowing with the imotional wave saying "Pilot did so much for the country that he should get a chance". Tell me few resons why should Pilot be included in the team. But I can imagine what went through the mind of Selectors while excluding him. Some of those could be -

- Has he the ability to play a match winning innings?
- Is he an exceptional wicket keeper who can dismiss a batsman with regular increadible performance?
- Is it the experience all should be counted? What role can experience play if the word 'form' is not there?
- Is he a good team man? (you know what I mean).
- Should we need to include him in the team because he 'was' good?

..........and so on.
You can add many questions as you want. As I said in some of my post seperate threads, this is nothing but complete imotion that is driving BD people to shout for PIlot. Come on guys, be professional and look at the world. There is no place of immotion if you want to go forward. We have no intension to disregard the contribution of Pilot to BD so far. We salute him for all his great finghtining contribution that thrilled us with respect. However, one has to remember, you can not just sit and cry for your co-solder/firend who has died in the field of battle. If you want to win the war, forget about the deadbody, leave it there - and go forward to grab the win. End of the day when you will be a winner, you will difinitely remember the contribution of those morter.

A big congratulations to the selectors for taking such a big and brave and bold decision that can only bring good and pride for the country. Let's thank them for their enterprise and wish all the best to our beloved team. Thank you selectors.

-

Spot on, brother.

Selectors at least took one bold decision, they deserve the appreciation.

roaring tigerz
February 14, 2007, 04:54 PM
Todays prothom-alo reported of numerous petitions and protests demanding Pilots reinstatement. I suggest we at BanglaCricket should also send a signed letter, congratulating the selectors for excluding Pilot. I foresee another debacle where the administrators would crumble under the pressure, subvert the democratic process, and squeeze him back into the team. That would be truly unfortunate. We at Banglacricket can at least illustrate the fact that there are a sizable number of fans who support the selectors stance!

Miraz
February 14, 2007, 04:58 PM
Todays prothom-alo reported of numerous petitions and protests demanding Pilots reinstatement. I suggest we at BanglaCricket should also send a signed letter, congratulating the selectors for excluding Pilot. I foresee another debacle where the administrators would crumble under the pressure, subvert the democratic process, and squeeze him back into the team. That would be truly unfortunate. We at Banglacricket can at least illustrate the fact that there are a sizable number of fans who support the selectors stance!

Good proposal. Moderators/Administrators intervention required. :)

cricketboy
February 14, 2007, 06:01 PM
Good proposal. Moderators/Administrators intervention required. :)

I dont agree. I want Khaled Masud Pilot in Bangladesh squad.
My marks:
Pilot-Batting (3) + wk(4) = 3.5 average
Mushfique-Batting(3.5)+wk(3)=3.25

I would hv picked both, but not Javed Omar.

Pundit
February 14, 2007, 08:33 PM
Blaming on Tarek is as lame as it gets. He is having a hard time trying to save his own butt, let alone try to save Musfiq's. This also tarnishes all the achievement the boy had in the age level and in the senior level. including the 115 against Norhampshire, the 18* at home and 42 and 57 at Zim when the team really needed him to step up.

I know, I know, folks outta in Arkansas ain't the most bright, perhaps but ol' billy boy Cleentan!

Pundit
February 14, 2007, 08:36 PM
I say amen to the Selectors!! How many of you can point to more than 2 players you will disagree with? And assuming you are correct, that's still a low percentage. So pucker up, and enjoy the games.

Hell, even I think I oughta be in the team..or for that matter my fuse ball cousin Emran who can hurl the Chalta achaar golok at over 100 mph...pure speculation though. We know for a fact that it shreds at speeds greater than 35 mph.

Rabz
February 14, 2007, 09:49 PM
i think lotta people are missing the point here...

KM's exclusion was not ONLY because of this performance..

Im pretty sure the selectors have wanted to play Mushi as a wk for the world cup.
Now if thats the case, why bother taking KM all the way to the caribeans and not play a game?

He is a senior member of the squad and has a big presence within the team. From the past reports, i dont think he is a great team member.
Im sure if he was in WI to just warm up the bench, he would cause trouble. His resentmess would be a big threat to the team's unity and last thing we need at the world cup is fighting within.

Dont get me wrong, its not that he is going to delibarately start it. But as he has been such an integral part of the team for so long and has been a big brother like figure to most of the team members, there are tensions bound to happen and anymosity towards Mushi would be inevitable. this would also cause an extra unwanted pressure for the young keeper inserted by his own team members which would certainly affect his game.

But now that KM is not there, he is the only option and everybody would have no option but to be behind him and support him.

Im not sure whether KM or Mushi would hv been the better pick, but i like the decisiveness the board has shown in their actions and the way they stood by it.

Gotta have faith in yourself.

cricketboy
February 14, 2007, 10:08 PM
i think lotta people are missing the point here...

KM's exclusion was not ONLY because of this performance..

Im pretty sure the selectors have wanted to play Mushi as a wk for the world cup.
Now if thats the case, why bother taking KM all the way to the caribeans and not play a game?

He is a senior member of the squad and has a big presence within the team. From the past reports, i dont think he is a great team member.
Im sure if he was in WI to just warm up the bench, he would cause trouble. His resentmess would be a big threat to the team's unity and last thing we need at the world cup is fighting within.

Dont get me wrong, its not that he is going to delibarately start it. But as he has been such an integral part of the team for so long and has been a big brother like figure to most of the team members, there are tensions bound to happen and anymosity towards Mushi would be inevitable. this would also cause an extra unwanted pressure for the young keeper inserted by his own team members which would certainly affect his game.

But now that KM is not there, he is the only option and everybody would have no option but to be behind him and support him.

Im not sure whether KM or Mushi would hv been the better pick, but i like the decisiveness the board has shown in their actions and the way they stood by it.

Gotta have faith in yourself.

If you go by this logic then why is Golla included? Tamim will know that not 1 but 2 backup opneres Rajin and Saleh are waiting to take his position. And guess what we dont hv a middle order backup and Ash has no pressure. /:) I ALSO AGREE TAKING JAVED WAS BIGGER MISTAKE THAN DROPPING PILOT.

nobody
February 14, 2007, 10:08 PM
Our little mushi did not get the chance to prove againest big boys. But the chances he got he grab it in both hands. Remember the 68 againest the endland in england. How many times Pilot did it? So lets congratulate selector for that. For JO and Tamim, what could I say. Now we have two 'lotto' in the name of Ash and Tamim and two 'tortoise' in JO and Rajin.

Rabz
February 14, 2007, 10:33 PM
If you go by this logic then why is Golla included? Tamim will know that not 1 but 2 backup opneres Rajin and Saleh are waiting to take his position. And guess what we dont hv a middle order backup and Ash has no pressure. /:) I ALSO AGREE TAKING JAVED WAS BIGGER MISTAKE THAN DROPPING PILOT.

i have mentioned this on some other thread...
JO is just filling up the numbers and merely an replacement batsman in the team.
Highly doubt it that he is going to get a game.

Remember, Golla does not have that greater presence within the team as KM does.
He is very quite by nature and never had any report about him causing any team problem.

Im not saying JO's inclusion was any good idea, but think of it...
If any of our main batsmen gets injured.. Golla or Rajin can replace them, with few changes in the batting line. Rajin has played the role in the middle order before and we might see him doing the same if required.

JO's position was never secured in the team as was Pilot's. Keepers more or less to that extend play with certain assurance as being the only man in the team to do the job. Not the batsmen or the bowlers. JO would be just happy to be there in the caribbean while Pilot would insist on getting every game. Every other team members usually have a back up.

Plus you'd never hear JO making a comment of being the automatic choice for his position. He has been a battler and would always be like that.

If you have to go for some replacment players, i'd rather take someone who is experienced and been there before. No point taking a rookie batsmen or bowler to fill up the game. this is world cup, not just any other series or tournament.

And why Ash getting a free ride?? well, as much as i hate it, we just dont have any better batsmen to replace him. he might suck big time at this moment, but he is all we got. He is a threat factor for the opponents. "IF" he clicks, its our day.

Im not saying taking JO or Rajin was the best option, but its more safer one.

kalpurush
February 14, 2007, 10:45 PM

funny!:-D

kalpurush
February 14, 2007, 10:54 PM
I dont agree. I want Khaled Masud Pilot in Bangladesh squad.

Paribarik sompotti mone hoi ta chey Bangladesh dol tarey! Koiber lakchey ki polay!!:doh:

PoorFan
February 14, 2007, 11:13 PM
Looks like things are really getting nasty ... beyond my imagination. I was one of them who supported Mashud for WC in the poll thread 'Yes or no; part -2' by Miraz, yet I fully support selectors because of Mashud's recent from, which is nowhere near to our expectation, that is ... a WIN by any means out of ONLY 2 match!

Lets say,, both Mashud & Mushi has been taken in the 15 squad ... which seems makes happy almost every whiners ...

and then what?

We got a trio series and two practice match before WC, so we can try Mashud & Mushi in those matches and see their performance. And I am sure, Mushi will lead in batting performance as he did already, if you compare their performance against same opponent Zimbo. Since both of them played bad in league, and more over Mashud got injured which kept him out of field these days, left no choice but to judge on against Zimbo performance. How many crucial winning innings or partnership that Mahud played we can rememberin last 1 or 2 years? Is there any? But Mushi just did that twice in last Zimbo tour, didn't he?

Now if this was not enough to judge,, saying it was against weak opponents, than will those practice match performance be enough to judge? ...

if not, then what?

In the eve of India match we are still not sure whom to select for final eleven! ... and a safe move is to play Mashud, but then again according to some pundit and some diehard 'EEEdiot butt kicker', this is the match we should 'do or die'! Should we stick to a respectable 20 runs, or throw a stone expecting potential few more runs? Here Mashud would have lost his position in final eleven against India. ...

and again then what?

Then comes Sri Lanka ... If we lose 1st match against India, than this match is our LAST chance to make any difference in WC. So in same logic as against India, we must have to go out with everything we have for WIN, which again would put Masud in sideline.On the other hand if we win, no one is going to change team anyway. ...

Finally,, then what?

Win or lose against India, SL don't make any difference who plays against Bermuda. ... so no point of argue since we are granted for a win here.

So, what is the point of taking both Mashud & Mushi in the team? unless we take Mashud ( or vise versa ) as backup wicket keeper? and how worthy is it leaving another specialist batsman in home instead? This is why selectors take Rajin as backup batsman who can play anywhere ( open and middle, and someone said he also can keep ) if needed, and Javd as opening specialist backup ( for Tamim & Nafees ), and both of them has scored reasonable in league.

<!--StartFragment -->I am sure Rajin & Javed are sitting in sideline, unless anything bad happen ( hope not ) to our regular batsman.

tutul
February 14, 2007, 11:30 PM
Looks like things are really getting nasty ...
..., unless anything bad happen ( hope not ) to our regular batsman.

PoorFan but rich comment. :up:

desirocker
February 15, 2007, 02:23 AM

World cup is a huge event. In this case, KM's experience matters a lot than mushfiq's 2 little so called good innings.:flag:

akabir77
February 15, 2007, 10:26 AM
World cup is a huge event. In this case, KM's experience matters a lot than mushfiq's 2 little so called good innings.:flag:

What experience you are talking about? the three drop catches and stumping miss in a single match from the last WC? the shame that brought on us from last wc? or the match fixing allegation that he had from the last WC? or the stay out all night with woman experience you mean? Cause without those he got nothing to show for. How could you guys forgot what he did in last WC?
If it was any strong nation that captain would never see another grass in in another field. He was lucky that he was from bangladesh and was able to play for last Four years. I am glad that selectors didn't forgot about that. And he made them remember by being arrogant, not performing and what not.

With or with out pilots experience Bangladesh will not win a WC. its better to have mushfiq or any one else ready for the WC11.

If he was a team player he could be easly in the team as a backup. what we all know what his nature is so...L-)

sadi
February 15, 2007, 10:36 AM
From Tigercricket:

<TABLE class=tablestyle id=Table1 style="WIDTH: 482px; HEIGHT: 196px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=482 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Team selected on cricketing grounds only: Chief Selector
TigerCricket.com Report
15-February-2007

</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE id=Table2 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=487 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=normtext vAlign=top><TABLE class=tablestyle id=Table3 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 borderColorDark=#000080 cellPadding=0 width=120 align=right borderColorLight=#006699 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://tigercricket.com/Image/cshome.jpg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Chief selector Faruque Ahmed has said today (Thursday) the players who have not found a spot in the World Cup bound <ST1:p</ST1:psquad have been left out purely on cricketing reasons.

“I believe there has been some misinterpretation of our views on the team selection and certain players are aggrieved by their omission, which is understandable. What everyone should realise though is that we go through a process."

“First of all we sit with the physio and get a report from him regarding injuries and fitness state of the players in contention. Only those who are cleared by the physio are eligible for selection. Based on that report the selection committee discusses the probable team before picking it,” said Faruque who added that he never told Mohammad Sharif that injury was the reason behind the paceman’s exclusion from the team.

“I have seen in newspapers that he (Sharif) has been quoted saying that I told him he was not included because of injury. I have not said anything like that as I can’t because injury related issues are not my area. I called him up to tell him that he was left out on cricketing grounds only and that he should look forward to earning his place back because he has done it after five years and has many more years infront of him.”

<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
“I have encouraged the players who are not there and told them that the door to the national team has not been shut,” said Faruque.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Beamer
February 15, 2007, 02:14 PM
Generally, these group of selectors are the best we ever had. No one can dispute that if you compare the actions of these three compared to the Aliul and gang. Now, that out of the equation, I would like to comment on a few things that these selectors are not getting the credit for. I will focus on the one day team.

Middle order : They resisted wholesale experimentation here even when some players didn't perform. We have settled the quartret of Aftab, Ash, Sakib and Bashar forming the core . Aftab is now established at no.3. Sakib is a pro-typical modern one day player ( batting, bowling, fielding - each team has one of these ). Bashar, well he is the skip, and Ash, despite his ups-and downs ( prolonged downs ), is backed because of his sheer match winning ability. The top two repaid that faith and settled in nicely. They currectly identified the importance of Aftab very top and slid Bashar down from his customary no.3. Now, whatever position one would like to see Ash in the middle order is up for debate, but the main thing is- he remained in the mix. These four has more or less played almost all of the one dayers in recent days. Consistency is there.

Opening : We had no choice but to experiment in the last few years. Such was the necessity at the very top. We have solved half the problem by Settling in S Nafees as he has become a mainstay. They tried to find him a suitable partner from the younger crop last year. You can't fault them for experimenting there. Mehrab had his chance. Rajin was tried, Ash was treid and it finally opened the door for Tamim. In the hindsight, I wish they tried Tamim a bit earlier. But, not everything is going to go according the plan. It is a problem. Most of the teams actually have the same problem. One can positively say that only Australia and Sri Lanka are sure of its own opening pair. New Zealand was trying everybody. South Africa has settled and maybe India as well right now after Ganguly's arrival. WI, Eng, Pak all were sporting different combinations for opening until very recently. We tried too, but more importantly, we tried with younger players. Now, we have to go with Tamim, an unkown quantity, but knowing the known quantity in Mehrab was not going to cut it. For that reason, I did not see why they brought back J.O, a patheic known quantity. I do not like that pick. Hopefully, he won't play in the real matches. Pick of Rajin is O.K. But, I would include him as the 12th man every game. His fielding can be a diff maker. Selectors did what they had to in the end. Just didn't work out as we would have liked. Last year was a test case ( rightly so with WC in mind ) and we came out with one real opener. 50% success.

Wkt Keeping : Anyone that is bitching and moaning about the exclusion of Pilot from the one day team is living in the cricketing dark ages. NO team in this era can afford to go with a wk keeper that can't bat ( which is Pilot ). You just can't afford to go with six batsman, keeper and four bowlers. That is the reality. We have two types of wk keepers now. One is a fulltime batsman ( Gilchrist, Sanga, ) that bat very top in the order. The other type are blasting/busy kind batting in no.6 or no.7 ( Boucher, McCullum, Dhoni etc ). Eng, WI has struggled with finding the right type of keeper suitable for that job. England had to bring in old man Nixon for his batting ability. This is the reality of one day cricket now. The competative disadvantage of not having a batsman- keeper is just too much to ignore. Rahim actually can bat and bat according to the situation. Eventually, I would like to see him move up the order, and if he can do it, it will give us an advantage and we can either picki an extra all rounder or a bowler. The selectors are correct for dropping Pilot. They had no choice. It is not their fault that Pilot's batting has left him for too long. In the one day game, batting wkt keepers have replaced many a good wkt keepers. Ian Healy comes to mind. He was very good keeper, but found himself out of the team when Gilchrist arrived, even when Healy was a better keepr. Dhoni is probably worst of the Indian keepers. But, can you see him out of India ODI team? I am not comparing Dhoni or Gilchrist with Rahim, but good God, the decline of Pilot's batting has reached such a stage that we had to try anyone. Rahim happened to be that one and he hasn't dissapointed so far. No brainer that Pilot was dropped..

Bowling : Razzak was the story of last year. Not only he is economical, he is a wkt keeping option and with Rafiq, we have a good tandem of spinners for the middle overs. Mashrafee has become a good one day bowler. His pace partner is a worry and thats why we had to bring in Tapash, Sharif and Rasel. Nothing wrong with it..

Overall, the squad is a good one from what is available. J.O pick was the only questionable decision.

Rubu
February 15, 2007, 02:32 PM
Agree 'til this point with everything you said, Beamer. Now, who should have been the choice in place of JO?

I'm gonna pull your leg here ;)

We needed an allrounder, and I can see only two in sight Reza/Rana. If one of them was in the team, I would have been 100% happy. What is your pick?

Beamer
February 15, 2007, 02:48 PM
Yes. Reza would have been a better option than J.O. An allrounder was a better option.
heck..even Rana would have served better than Golla.

happy?

akabir77
February 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
Generally, these group of selectors are the best we ever had. [snip for brevity's sake]
Overall, the squad is a good one from what is available. J.O pick was the only questionable decision.
Excellent !!!.

I am with you. I wouldn't mind if they have picked Rokon in place of Golla. Since Golla was stolen of his right last two times and rokons past show in WC03, I think Goola got the nod by 1/2 a cm.

Pundit
February 15, 2007, 04:19 PM
I think the selectors did well.

My questions to there critics,

1) Who would you have wanted Tushar to be in instead of? Remember, you just cannot compare a bowler to a batsman or the likes, to make your point?
2) The selectors really don't know who the best fit is for # 2. And honestly, nor does anybody else. That is our weakest link. You definitely cannot fit Tushar here, can you? And they don't know who the better is between JO and Tamim. But they do know that both are better than anybody else in BD now. Can you disagree. So, they will see who is in better form, and let that person play. They can also throw in Rajin, if need be. And that is why he is in the team. He is our more flexible batsman, and will, I suspect replace any injured batsman. So, in the end, JO may not even play if folks get sure on Tamim, and another batsman gets hurt or forgets how to play, and Rajin has to replace him.
3) KM vs. Mushfiq - c'mon, the country is probably split on this. What did you expect the selectors to do, play it safe so that you do not attack BCB offices? I think corrupt politicians and picketers should be shipped to Siberian gulags...more remmitance for BD - cleaning siberian prison ground snow.
4) Tapash and Rassel will fight for the 3rd seamer, and I hope Rassel wins. We should also hope that Shahadat does well, because his doing poorly means Rassel doing well - I find their performances inversly proportional. And in that case Baisha replaces Shahadat. Both Rassel and Baisha playing together is a bad omen. However, when Shahadat plays well, I don't think Rassel's conservative bowling will be that bad in the WI.
5) Rajin will replace whichever of the 5 -> Nafees, Saqib, Aftab, Bashar, Ash has to sit out, for whatever reason.

So this is my dream team -

Nafees
TI/JO/RS
Aftab --> RS backup
Bashar --> RS bu
Saqib --> RS bu
Ash --> RS bu
Mushfiq
Rafiq
Mash
Shahadat
Rassel (Bbaisha standby)

Yes, we all like KM, but going to war over that is not worth it.

Pundit
February 15, 2007, 04:22 PM
Forgot about Razzak. Loads of opportunities, as a 2nd spinner or seamer replacement.

akabir77
February 15, 2007, 04:23 PM
Read this article from prothom -alo.
Oh my god...

http://www.prothom-alo.org/mcat.news.details.php?nid=MjU3OTM=&mid=OA==

The way they wrote the article seems like they had a representative in the selection room. They said several players said they will miss pilot. They said at firs dave us infavor of pilot but after getting harras by selectors he gave in. Also when the team was selected they suddenly saw they have 14 players only!!!! so they decide to take GOLLA.....

Funny thing is the next story is bccb head has talked with dave and dave assured him that team was selected based on performance and he agrees with that. wow. I think we should put fire on this newspaper....This newspaper I guess is happy to work against BD in anyway...

PoorFan
February 15, 2007, 09:05 PM
Excellent analysis Beamer & Pundit. I think the reason to pick Javed was pure backup of Tamim as specialist opener, and Rajin as backup for any place of batsman, and it seems to me quite reasonable.

Like I said in other thread we should think about this....

Weel, I am getting frustrated in other way,, we are talking so reasonable and constructive here on BC, but all seems in vain. We must find some way to get more attention and recognized in sports media. Some of our BC stuff should gather all the reasonable and constructive discussions and send it to media and BCB. By this way we may get more attention, as well as recognition in a organized way.

I feel like our voices remain unheard and not making much impact.

Rabz
February 16, 2007, 05:26 AM
Good one Beamer.
As said by Poorfan, ( and i've tried to voice this few times before), both RS and JO are merely the backup batsmen for the team.
Chances are very highly unlikely that they are gonna get a match, albeit something wrong happens to the main 11.

RS is our more flexible batsmen
and JO is the reserve opener. And trust me, if i have to pick anyone for the reserve, i would rather go for JO ( for the world cup)any day over any other rookie who's playing good in the league right now. We already gambled with Tamim Iqbal in the opening slot, we dont need to have another new face in the team. That would do us no good.

And as for 3rd pacer, i'd go for Rasel. Not only he adds the dimension of an left arm seamer but he has the nagging ability to take wickets or break up partnership early in the match..

On a WI pitch, my first two seamer would always be Mashrafee and Shahadat.

Protic
February 18, 2007, 04:03 AM
Okey..
Mushfiqur deserved the spot..and he is not injured at all..why bother taking 2 WK?
Rajin's place is fine for him..he is a slow batsman..but he can play shots when needed unlike JO. Reza would have been a better choice than JO.
I doubt JO will get a match.. i mean Tamim actually needs to play 3 matches to do good in atleast 1 of em..thats understanding. I will actually choose Razzak over Rafique against India and Sri Lanka..because we got hitters..Tamim,Aftab,Ashraful,Mortaza..and to be frank..Razzaks in a better form and in a better shape than Rafique.
My Eleven will be :
Shahriar Nafees
Tamim Iqbal
Aftab Ahmed
Sakibul Hasan
Habibul Bashar
Mohammad Ashraful
Mushfiqur Rahim
Mashrafe Mortaza
Abdur Razzak
Syed Rasel
Shahadat Hossain
* Tapash can be replaced with Rasel.. and Rafique with Razzak. (form factor)
* Rajin can be replaced with Ashraful. (form factor)
Let others stay in their places.

BangladeshFan
February 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
Yes, selectors did a good job, only questionable inclusion is JO. However that may be a blessing in disguise, now they will be forced to play tamim. If Bd needs to upset Ind or Sl, they need to surprise them with an unknown quantity. tamim is unknown enough, even videos of zimbo tour is not available, they wont be able to analyse him :)

sar2005
March 18, 2007, 03:27 PM
Alright, time to see some old comments. We already have a similer thread in WC section but I digged it out to see some of your old comments. Also want to mention that many of BC members obviously had their faith on selectors.

akabir77
March 18, 2007, 08:59 PM
Every body is saying of JO should be there blah blah blah and comparing him with an alrounder and stuff.
People he is in the team as an third opener and a backup. selectors knew they will play tamim but they wanted some one to a backup and have enough experience so that if the guy goes in he doesn't need much match practice. do we have any opener who is experience and can hold the wkt. I agree that he is not best thats the best we have and we had to stick with him for WC.I think the selectors did a great job selecting the whole team. I think Akram khan also apologized in some paper for his questioning...
I don't see that stupid lipu anywhere commenting on anything today...

Outswinger
March 18, 2007, 09:40 PM
As I said before these players can play ;

Our selectors can select the players ; &

Whatmore can coach this team as usual .