PDA

View Full Version : Would teams carry any points in to the 2nd round?

Tigers_eye
February 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
In the second round there will be eight teams. 2 from each group. A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2.
A1 will not play against A2 in the 2nd round.
B1 will not play against B2 in the 2nd round.
C1 will not play against C2 in the 2nd round.
D1 will not play against D2 in the 2nd round.

So there will be only 6 matches for each team.

Now the question is since A1- A2, B1- B2, C1- C2 and D1- D2 would meet in the group stage would their result be carried over to the second round?

al Furqaan
February 14, 2007, 07:40 PM
i would assume that all teams would start fresh in the super 8 stage...blank slate theory, so to speak

sadi
February 14, 2007, 09:05 PM
I am pretty sure all the teams carry points in the second round. Can't get you the source right now.

al Furqaan
February 14, 2007, 09:10 PM
I am pretty sure all the teams carry points in the second round. Can't get you the source right now.

wait a second, are there going to be points in the first round as well? i can't remember 03 WC.

gatekeeper
February 14, 2007, 09:14 PM
ICC should really come up with a standard stucture/format for all tournaments. The rules are so different from tournament to tournament, its hard to keep up.

Rabz
February 14, 2007, 09:31 PM
im not sure , but i think they should not carry points to the next round.
First round is more like a charity show for the minnows and making up numbers and money for the icc.
the real deal starts from the super 8 stage.

they should start clean slate and take it from there.

sadi
February 14, 2007, 09:49 PM
By having the point carry over system, every game becomes important. Imagine top two teams winning their first two games and meet each other in the last game. Now, if there is no point in the first round, this game wont mean anything. But having to bring points to the second round makes this game interesting and meaningful.

Tigers_eye
February 15, 2007, 09:19 AM
My speculation:
The teams from each group who qualify would carry the points that was played against each other. Example 1: Say Aus and SA qualifies from group A. The match played between them if Aus wins and gets 4 and SA gets 1, then that's what they carry to the next round.

I think this is the best solution that ICC has come up with to carry points to the next round. I love it!!

This is the reason why:

Example 2: Say we strike gold and beat India. Lose the next match against SL. After two games the standing would be:
SL 2 matches 2 wins.
BD 2 matches 1 win 1 loss.
Ind 2 matches 1 win 1 loss.
Bermuda 2 matches 2 losses.

We play bermuda the last and most likely we will win and India knows that. So to have any chance India must win against SL to make a 3 way tie and qualify with run-rate if even bonus points equal.

Fixing a match against SL would be easy if second round begins with a clean slate. But if qualified teams game has weight then no way SL would lay down and surrender. This can be true again if we lose to India and win against SL (very unlikely). India wouldn't lay down to SL then.

All in favor!!! Say, I love this rule.

babubangla
February 15, 2007, 11:59 AM
Yes, points will carry forward, BUT only for the group match between the top two teams of the group. Points earned from group matches against the teams which did not qualify for the Super-8 will not carry forward.

Here are the excerpts from the ICC World Cup Playing Condition:
“Following the Group stage the top 2 teams in each group will progress to the next phase (the Super Eight series). Each team will play every other team that has qualified for the Super Eight series except for the team that it played in the Group stage (six matches). The result of this match and any points gained will be carried forward to the Super Eight series. No other points from the Group stage will be carried forward to the Super Eight series."

Source: ICC World Cup 2007 Playing Condition (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/rules/wc07_playing_conditions.pdf)

Tigers_eye
February 15, 2007, 12:18 PM
Thank you Babu bhai.

This eliminates most of the chances of match fixing. :)