PDA

View Full Version : The Bangladeshi strategy of beating Australia (Deshi Style)

fwullah
February 15, 2007, 11:54 AM
Just from looking at the ODI when BD beat AUS, do you think that we can follow the following strategy in the World Cup, too?

1. Openers performing a little (staying till 6th to 8th over without losing any wicket) - Javed Omar stayed till the 20th over even after scoring very slowly, No. 3 batsman Tushar Imran scoring a little cameo of 20 off 30 odd balls from the 12th to 18th over
2. In Form proven performer in the most recent matches to come in to bat at number 6 (Aftab Ahmed to bat at 6)

And ofcourse, a big partnership in the middle, accurate bowling and fielding etc. comes in with a little bit of luck.

Tigers_eye
February 15, 2007, 12:06 PM
Just from looking at the ODI when BD beat AUS, do you think that we can follow the following strategy in the World Cup, too?
We didn't have any strategy. It just happened. If we had then we would have won more games by now and whitewashed Zim in 3 consecutive series. An extra ordinary partnership by Ash-Bashar and Aftab's cameo saw us through.

After being exposed of our crown jewels by the English, we had nothing to lose. We found Ponting napping who chose to bat first. I don't see India or SL taking us lightly anytime soon.

As for your deshi style A** kicking, unless Tamim-Aftab speak up and say (with their bat) "we demand recognition" the chances are we will be in the receiving end.

Kabir
February 15, 2007, 12:11 PM
There's no given rule on how we can beat Australia (or any other team for that matter). But the only process would be to make sure that our top-order performs, middle-order rotates strikes, our fielders don't drop catches (by far, one of the most important things IMO), and our bowlers to do their job as they usually do. Now, the question is, for all these things to click together on the same day, is very difficult for Bangladesh. Whenever it clicked, we've won big matches.

Probability...anyone?

babubangla
February 15, 2007, 12:20 PM
[বাংলা]সব ম্যাচেই আমরা সুনির্দিস্ট স্ট্রেটেজী নিয়েই নামি, কিন্তু মাঠে গিয়ে হয়ে যাই কেবলাকান্ত।
স্ট্রেটেজী থাকা গুরুত্বপুর্ণ, কিন্তু তা প্রয়োগ করতে পারাই হলো মোদ্দা কথা।

এই যেমন আমার এক নোয়াখালীর বন্ধু বলতোঃ
“বিদ্যা অমূল্য ধন,
তই ন হাইল্যে কি অরন”

বিদ্যা অমূল্য ধন -একথা সে আলবত মানে।
কিন্তু বিদ্যা যদি কিছুই মাথায় না ঢুকে, তবে বেচারার আর কি-ই বা করার থাকে !! :)
[/বাংলা]

al Furqaan
February 15, 2007, 01:41 PM
We didn't have any strategy. It just happened. If we had then we would have won more games by now and whitewashed Zim in 3 consecutive series. An extra ordinary partnership by Ash-Bashar and Aftab's cameo saw us through.

well said, if there was a strategy it would be to win by 10 wickets, which didn't happen.

I don't see India or SL taking us lightly anytime soon.

well it depends on how you define "lightly". they aren't taking us as lightly as the team they used pound in the asia cup in mid-80s, or the team they used to pound in 2002. but they aren't taking us as seriously as the big eight, and of course there are valid reasons for that. but, i think its time for us to win without the other team taking us lightly. you can only achieve so much tip-toeing around and sneaking up on people.

on a side note, in that famous cardifff match, i think the toss outcome is blown way out of proportion. if you watch the video, the commentator says "it was overcast when ponting won the toss, now the sun has come up" during mash's very first over. i.e. ponting may have made the wrong decision to bat first, but he got vindicated when the sun came out a few minutes earlier. plus, the ball didn't really do much at all either through the air or off the pitch. both wickets that fell, that put australia in a spot of bother were straight deliveries that the out of form aussies just missed. simply put, we didn't win because ponting made a bad decision on the toss. we won because we had a great day, aussies were complacent till it got too late, and they were woefully out of form.

As for your deshi style A** kicking, unless Tamim-Aftab speak up and say (with their bat) "we demand recognition" the chances are we will be in the receiving end.

50% correct. if we win any one game, its going to be because of ashraful and whoever decides to back him up that day. i have yet to see any other BD batsman win matches single handedly against quality opposition, so i don't believe that it will happen this world cup.

if we somehow miraculously win a few matches then of course, i think different batsmen will chip in each game.

LateCut
February 15, 2007, 01:54 PM
I have said it before and tell you again. There is one proven formula. Clone Asharaful 10 times. Make a team with only Ashrafools. By sheer chance two of these will shine and we will have 200+ score. As for bowling, I have not figured that out yet. Perhaps, A*fools could bowl a little offbreaks and newly cloned A*fools get many run outs. Who knows? Are there any maverick molecular biologists reading this post?

Sauron
February 15, 2007, 02:00 PM
The crux of fwullah's post is - do not lose early wickets, be happy with 3 rpo rather than trying to exploit fielding restrictions.

Simple, but effective strategy.

Orpheus
February 15, 2007, 02:02 PM
I have said it before and tell you again. There is one proven formula. Clone Asharaful 10 times. Make a team with only Ashrafools. By sheer chance two of these will shine and we will have 200+ score. As for bowling, I have not figured that out yet. Perhaps, A*fools could bowl a little offbreaks and newly cloned A*fools get many run outs. Who knows? Are there any maverick molecular biologists reading this post?

Chances of reproducing Ashraful successfully is less than 1%. Moreover, No girls want to surrogate his clone, they all want to be the mother of his baby....

BangladeshFan
February 15, 2007, 02:10 PM
Bd won against Australia because they were complacent. Another point is Bd got crucial australian wickets early (ponting, glichrist) and they were a bit cautious after that, but main reason is they thought 250 would be enough. Rather than this win, the win against Sl should be rated more highly, because lankans never take us lightly and to beat them was a huge satisfaction. And even that win was achieved because we restricted them to a relatively low score.

So Bd has to bowl really well and accurate and then it has got a chance to cause some upset.

Rubu
February 15, 2007, 02:24 PM
The only thing that will be missing from that Aus game is Ash's century. Everything else can be repeated.

If ash fires, we can do anything. That is the reason he is still in the team even after several failures.

thasan
February 15, 2007, 04:58 PM
on a sidenote: since ash is ur best batsman and he has good batting performance like eid, he should start fasting now...taile worldcup e o eid korte parbe :P

Rabz
February 17, 2007, 04:40 AM
on a sidenote: since ash is ur best batsman and he has good batting performance like eid, he should start fasting now...taile worldcup e o eid korte parbe :P

oh..so you wanna start a self-proclaimed month of ramadan...
man you are lucky Bangla bhai is in jail right now and Nizami is on the run due to political turmoil..
or else you'd have a fatwa on ya already...

SMHasan
February 17, 2007, 11:45 AM
Chances of reproducing Ashraful successfully is less than 1%. Moreover, No girls want to surrogate his clone, they all want to be the mother of his baby....

Orphee show some respect.

SMHasan
February 17, 2007, 11:51 AM
After reading Fullah's post I would like to say few words here.

I always think Ash should come at 4. This is the best position although people migh start jumping again. But nothing to do. If we want to keep him in the team then let him bat there otherwise kick him out. There is no place for an injured fighter in the battlefield. If he bats at 7 then there is no point of keeping him in the team.

I want Aftab at 7 as he proved that he can play a short cameo. We need him at this position to fire if necessary. If ash plays at 4 then he will have more time and thats the way we can bring the best out of him.

I know critics will say lot of things. But if we put him at 7 then better to kick him out of the team.

Orpheus
February 18, 2007, 10:39 AM
Orphee show some respect.

To whom?

afrina
February 18, 2007, 01:40 PM
First we need to beat India of SriLanka then thought about others.

al Furqaan
February 18, 2007, 03:46 PM

roja rakhuk, ar umra kore ashok, ar aksho ta goru jobai deye dek...tale at least 2 ta eid akshatai kora jabe...

then we can gurantee super 8

BanglaCool
February 19, 2007, 05:16 AM
First we need to beat India of SriLanka then thought about others.
Afrina is a nice name, but does what does it mean ?

Imteaz
February 19, 2007, 05:57 AM
When We Beat Australia the Actual Situation was "Australia Played Their Game, We Played Better than Them". In Every match We Must Go with a Strategy. And the Opponant also Come with their Strategy. In Our Cricket History We Got Success with Our Strategy against a Test Team only for 8-10 Times (I am Not Considering the win against Scotland and Kenya Recent Time).

Beating Australia is one of the Toughest Thing in World Cricket but Not Impossible. They are Beatable. Question is Whatever is Your Strategy, Is It a Proper Counter Attack for Australia. If the Answer is YES than We will Win, If the Answer is NO we will loose.

Eng and NZ Beat Australia 4 times in Last 4 Matches. It Doesn't Mean We will also Beat Australia in a Same Manner. We haven't Got That Standard Till Now. What is Our Standard? This Question will be Clear Out After the Match Between India & Srilanka. Hope the Answer will be a Positive One for Us. No One Will be Happier than Me If We Get a Positive Answer.

Have a Nice Time.

fwullah
February 19, 2007, 11:26 AM
I think subconsciously what I meant starting this thread, and now I'm confirming it - Aftab batted at number five or six when we beat bigger teams - Australia, India and Sri Lanka.

I think for a couple of years, Aftab was like what Roshan Mahanama was for SL in 1996 World Cup and what Bevan was for Aus all those years. If we let Aftab bat at 3 and get a good start at the top, but our midde order fails to continue with that ater Aftab's out, then we won't have any chance of going to the 2nd round of the World Cup.

Ofcourse, its not as simple as that - as somebody mentioned here in reply to my original post this thread that our strategy has to be the correct one on a given day - taking the right decision at the toss, selecting the right team, do all things correctly. And I also don't have the answer to the burning question of who will bat at 3 to be able to give Bangladesh a good start if openers fail, if Aftab comes to bat at 6.

AsifTheManRahman
February 19, 2007, 11:37 AM
I think subconsciously what I meant starting this thread, and now I'm confirming it - Aftab batted at number five or six when we beat bigger teams - Australia, India and Sri Lanka.

which is exactly why i think he's a better number six than anyone else in the current team.

And I also don't have the answer to the burning question of who will bat at 3 to be able to give Bangladesh a good start if openers fail, if Aftab comes to bat at 6.i think the answer lies in what you said before - it all depends on the situation. i wouldn't mind playing aftab interchangeably between the #3 and #6 positions. when he moves down to 6, bashar can move up to 3. hablu's done it before, and i think he's pretty capable of giving us a good start to build upon. in fact, i think hablu's a better #3 because of his ability to rotate the strike, although i do believe aftab can become way superior if he can work on his survival skills.

fwullah
February 19, 2007, 11:55 AM
Aftab batted at 3 and BD won - this happened against Zimbabwe, Kenya, Scotland. If we do everything else right, then perhaps we can even put Rafique in to open the batting against Zimbabwe, Kenya, Scotland (to be precise - in the Bermuda game during WC '07) - if we dare.

Aftab batted at 3 and succeeded, but our middle order collapsed and BD lost - most recent example is vs. WI in Champions Trophy.

However, the one factor that has pushed the team management to let Aftab bat at 3 is Ashraful's poor batting form. Also, Bashar coming in at 5 means that our lower part of the middle order is boosted with Bashar's experience in the middle order. Now Saquib is a virtual certainty to bat at 4.

Then, if we dare to play one of our 4 openers in the WC squad to bat from 1 to 3, 4 is Saquib, 5 is Bashar, 6 is Aftab, and then we get young Mushfique and the bowlers. In that case, we don't need Ashraful in our line up.

On the other hand, Sri Lanka is always Ashraful's most favorite team to get his own form back (not to mention the fact that everyone else in our team bats very poorly vs. SL usually).

I wish we had Aminul Islam in our current squad, whose most favorite team to get back to form is India.