PDA

View Full Version : Middle Order Conundrum

roaring tigerz
February 15, 2007, 01:10 PM
Our ODI batting has been an area of concern for quite some time now. While we potentially have batsmen whose styles are tailor made for one dayers, the results have not been quite so promising. While the collapses which became so synonymous with our team is more infrequent now, we rarely manage big scores even against easier oppositions.

Even just a few weeks before the World Cup, the middle order has a distinctly unsettled look. Sakib, though largely untested, can have legitimate claims to the number four position. But there are many who believe that, to get the best out of Ashraful he needs to play higher up the order. Mushfiq's recent 'get out of jail' innings also adds his name to the list of contenders. Should Bashar accept more responsibility and promote himself? Does Rajin have any place in the side?

Personally, I would like to see Ashraful at #4, Sakib at #5, Bashar at #6 and Mushfiq at #7. Of course the positions should be flexible and should change according to the match situation and/or the opposition. Who do you think should play in the positions from 4-7?

Tigers_eye
February 15, 2007, 01:37 PM
With Tamim in the lineup:
SN 1
Tamim 2
Aftab 3
Sakib 4
Mushfiq 5
Bashar 6
Ash 7
Rafiq 8
Mash 9
Razzak 10
Rasel 11 against SL/ Shahadat 11 against Ind

With Rajin in the lineup and if Rajin don't get out early:
SN 1
Rajin 2
Aftab 3
Sakib 4
Ash 5
Bashar 6
Mushfiq 7

With Rajin getting out:
SN 1
Rajin 2
Mushfiq 3
Aftab 4
Sakib 5
Bashar 6
Ash 7

Gamble:
SN 1
Rafiq 2
Aftab 3
Sakib 4
Ash 5
Bashar 6
Rajin 7
Mash 8
Mushfiq 9
Razzak 10

sadi
February 15, 2007, 01:43 PM
My lineup would be:

SN
Tamim
Mushfiq
Aftab
Ashraful
Bashar
Sakib

Nachte jodi nambo, tahole ghomta diye ki hobe. Lets take a chance. Gamble.

Tigers_eye
February 15, 2007, 01:49 PM
My lineup would be:

SN
Tamim
Mushfiq
Aftab
Ashraful
Bashar
Sakib

Nachte jodi nambo, tahole ghomta diye ki hobe. Lets take a chance. Gamble.

I would not want sakib so down the order. People have already labeled him as selfish when the top order fails. Remember the 3rd ODI vs SL.

Orpheus
February 15, 2007, 02:12 PM
this is a good thread and the order of players willl be a big issue I feel...
from 3-7:

Aftab
Ashraful
Mushfiq
Bashar
Sakib (remember he is also a bowler, so not a bad position)

We can also have (perhaps when chasing)
Mushfiq
Ashraful
Bashar
Aftab (it will be useful to have someone who can hit the ball out of the ground in later part of the game)
Sakib

Also if Rafiq is playing, we might have to change the order depending on the situation of the game.

ottawaGuy
February 15, 2007, 03:20 PM
tamim
SN
aftab
sakib
ash
bashar
mushfiq

roaring tigerz
February 15, 2007, 03:58 PM
For me the problem is that none of our middle order players are natural big hitters like the Dhonis, Flintoffs or Symonds. Mushfiq, Sakib, Bashar, Ashraful are all most comfortable at 4-5. You can make the point that Mushfiq always plays down the order even in league cricket, but I have never associated his batting with whirlwind pyrotechnics.

BangladeshFan
February 15, 2007, 04:17 PM
My top order is fixed
1.SN 2.tamim 3.Aftab

but rightly said, middle order seems to be a puzzle.
if there is a collapse or openers go out early, mushfiq should play at 4, sakib 5. these 2 will prevent the collapse though RR may go down slightly. bashar6, ash 7, rafiq 8 will provide the hitting.

if there is not a collapse and we got a good opening, i would promote ash to be number 4 and bashar at 5. they will keep the RR good against spinners like murali or bhaji. if we just lose 3-4 wickets till 40 th over (very unlikely!), promote rafiq and mash up for slog and push sakib and mushfiq down further.

Kabir
February 15, 2007, 04:36 PM
I would like to take the idea from BangladesherFan and say that the top-order should be SN, Tamim, and Aftab.

Now, based on the situations, here goes the rest.

If top-order does well (meaning, they put on 100+ runs in less than 20 overs):
4. Saqib
5. Bashar
6. Ashraful
7. Mushfiq
8. Mashrafee
9. Rafiq
10. Razzaq
11. Shahadat
Reason: The middle order should be able to play defensive, and slow. They just need to make sure that there are two good partnerships, running b/w wickets, and a 50+ score from one of the middle-order batsmen.

If top order fails: I'll replace Saqib's spot with Mushfiq (and vice versa), and place Rafiq over Mashrafee. The only thing I'll be worried about is if Ashraful should stay at 6, or should replace places with Bashar. But given that Ashraful will choke himself under panic-mode, I'ld keep him after Bashar. Also, if Bashar does the same as the match against SL when he gave up seeing a 303 total to chase, he's sure to get a kick on his butt from me...possibly I'll make him sit on a chimney with burning coal for 7 days as a punishment too.

Whether we're batting first, or we're chasing...this should also be taken into account. In my opinion, when we're chasing, I'ld still keep the top order the same...but depending on their performance, I'ld probably add a pinch hitter after Aftab if the top order does well. That way, the margin for the chase will narrow down, giving less pressure on the remaining batsmen.

I just realized after writing all these that Rajin's not on my list. Who he will replace from this squad, that is the question. Crybaby ta ke waterboy banaile hoy na? Just a random thought :)

Miraz
February 15, 2007, 04:40 PM
My batting order,

If no early wicket falls..

1.SN
2. Tamim
3. Aftab
4. Sakib
5.Ashraful
6. Bashar
7. Mushfiq
8. Rafiq
9. Mashrafee
10. Razzak
11. Rasel/Shahadat

If wicket falls early

1.SN
2. Tamim
3. Mushfiq
4. Aftab
5. Sakib
6.Ashraful
7. Bashar
8. Rafiq
9. Mashrafee
10. Razzak
11. Rasel/Shahadat

sadi
February 15, 2007, 05:04 PM
I guess one of the main issue is where should Ashraful play? I consider him as a lottery ticket. Jodi laiga jay type of situation. If he is in the main eleven, maybe we should give him more overs. Imagine after all this time of waiting, finally he is having his eid day but can't capitalize it properly since its already too late and 40 overs are already gone.

But I understand it has his negative side also. Off form Ashraful means another quick wicket and putting more pressure in the batsmen who come after him. Don't want to make it another Ash thread but thats my 2 cents.

Ajfar
February 15, 2007, 06:30 PM
wateva you doo...u neva want aftab n ashraful right after each other..cause that's just plain stupid...

pagol-chagol
February 15, 2007, 08:51 PM
Keeping Bashar at 6th may save fast runners like Sakib & Aftab from run outs.

mhj007
February 16, 2007, 10:46 AM
my order will be like this:(generally)
1.SN
2.Tamim/Rajin
3.Aftab
4.Ashraful
5.Mushfiq
6.Habib
7.Sakib
when target is large or 2 surprise opposition:
1.Rafique
2.SN
3.Aftab
4.Sakib
5.Habib
6.Ashraful
7.Mushfiq

Junior

Spitfire_x86
February 16, 2007, 11:04 AM
1. SN
2. Tamim
3. Aftab
4. Ashraful
5. Bashar
6. Mushfiq
7. Sakib

If we get a real good start (1 wicket after 20 overs), then we may save Aftab for late overs and promote Ashraful at #3 and Mushfiq at #4.

Rabz
February 17, 2007, 05:11 AM
Yes, the question is not about our middle order, but how to arrange our 3-7 position keeping Ashraful in the centre picture.

the way i see it, Ash is there as a pure batsman in the team.
Now many of you wanted to play him in No 6 or even 7.

As far as my cricketing knowledge goes, thats a position for an allrounder in odi, not for a pure batsmen, esp if the batsman happens to be the only star player in the team with a proven record of match winning ability.

We all know he is a gamble, breaks our heart more often than not.

but i reckon we still have to stuck with it. IF he plays in the team, he plays in No 4 for me. Or else he doesnt play at all.

The best batsmen in the team always plays in No 3. Since Aftab has already cemented that position and doing a ok job so far ( by ok i mean he should have done much better than those cameo 30-40's), and Ash failing in the opening roles, we do not have much choice to stick him in at no 4.

Same goes with Bashar. Between them two, they can figure out where they wanna bat and can come either 4 or 5. No later than that. Its a complete waste of time.

Sakib should come in no 6, filling the role of an allrounder, which he is.
And Mushi at 7, simply cuz i cant put the kid anywhere up the order before those three players mentioned earlier.

so my batting order would have to be:

SN
TI/RS
Aftab
Ashraful
Bashar
Sakib
Mushi
Mashree
Rafiq
XX ( whoever else is playing)
YY

billah
February 19, 2007, 06:16 PM
Hiding Habibul Bashar should be one prime goal in setting up the order. He probably had a total of 13 minutes of batting in local league. He shines when other batsmen are getting runs. But if the top order fails, he fails to stop the slide. Against the Aussies, he started the second innings collapse. Since then, we have seen several repeat of the scenario in other matches, Tests & ODIs. These days, Bashar, under pressure, often runs out his younger opponents. His running between the wickets is getting worse. He also calls for runs where there is none.

So, I think Sakib should go in ahead of Bashar in every match. Bashar needs a cover. We can only send him early in matches where the top order had already scored good runs. Sending Sakib in #6 or 7 after Bashar will affect our chances negatively.

Farhad
February 19, 2007, 06:29 PM
Hiding Habibul Bashar should be one prime goal in setting up the order. He probably had a total of 13 minutes of batting in local league. He shines when other batsmen are getting runs. But if the top order fails, he fails to stop the slide. Against the Aussies, he started the second innings collapse. Since then, we have seen several repeat of the scenario in other matches, Tests & ODIs. These days, Bashar, under pressure, often runs out his younger opponents. His running between the wickets is getting worse. He also calls for runs where there is none.

So, I think Sakib should go in ahead of Bashar in every match. Bashar needs a cover. We can only send him early in matches where the top order had already scored good runs. Sending Sakib in #6 or 7 after Bashar will affect our chances negatively.

Good point. Bashar cannot take pressure, thats for certain. Now that Tamims in the team, it may be even harder to figure out the problem. We've just got too many explosive batsmen in the team

cricket_pagol
February 19, 2007, 08:22 PM
my 1.SN, 2. Tamim, 3.Aftab, 4. sakib is fixed.

number 5,6,7 is flexible according to match conditions Bashar and Ash should be either 5/6. Musfiq should be sent at 7 but, if lose too man early wickets, then musfiq should be sent at 5.

thebest
February 20, 2007, 04:35 AM
it is funny, member of this forum never misses the opportunity to Bash HB; To me he is still the best batsman of the team. If he shines the team performed. Our prodigal sons (like aftab, ash) get more recognition then they deserve. Are they as talented as we believe? Talk about Cardiff ; it is an eulogy to Ash or Aftab's six. But everybody forgot the crucial partnership of HB with Ash. How many time we recognize that. HB even in his youth was not a good runner. We need him to cool down the prodigal sons. I do not want to see Ash-Tamim; Aftab-Tamim and Ash-Aftab partnership. Though the result may be good for us, there is high probability of batting collapse after any of them fall. Because these guys look batting so easy and later batsmen would try to follow them and perish. For the sake of Bangladesh I want SN, Sakib or HB to occupy the crease most of the innings. Unfortunately, we can not deciede who comes after whom. It is better to have double cover between Ash and Aftab. That is present order. Today's prothom alo, I understand ash want to play at number 5. Ideally it should be his position. But he messed up that means we would not have accelarator at death (Mash has poor record againest quality opposition, Rafiq is not scoring for long time).

cricket_king
February 20, 2007, 04:53 AM
My main problem is aftab. He seems to be a finisher rather than a number 3 batsman. I'd love for him to stay in that number 3 position but unfortunately he scores a quick fire 30 to 50. Thats fine for me as well as he can get as off to a flying start, but the situation is that a quickfire 30 odd is not enough for a number 3 batsman, who is meant to be the best batsman in the team.

Furthermore, aftab was our finisher. Now that he's moved higher up the order, it seems we've lost a key player in that number 6 position. Bashar certainly isnt the kind of player who scores at a quick rate and can handle pressure. Sakib if i remember him in the under 19's a great striker of the ball, not a huge hitter of the ball, but seems to be able to find gaps and rotates strike regularly. But now we need him at number 4 coz ash cant do seem to do anything right.

I pray we find someone as a finisher or else aftab will have to move to number 6 and bashar will have to go back to number 3......which nobody wants!! :(