PDA

View Full Version : Four greatest all rounders....

ellawilson
February 24, 2007, 04:04 AM
Four greatest all rounders in cricket have been Kapil Dev, Imran Khan, Richard Hadlee and Ian Botham. All of them had remarkable skills in batting,bowling and fielding. Their style was aggressive,brilliant,charming and extraordinary both in batting and bowling. The similarities among them were,all of them came in the decade of 1970's and were at their peak in the decade of 1980's and they got retired in 90's. The second similarity was that all of them were fast bowlers and attacking batsman who came to bat at number 6 or 7 postition for their respective teams.

First of all Ian botham became the hightest wicket taker taking 383 wickets. Then richard hadlee took the highest wickets by taking his tally to 433 wickets. Then kapil dev broke its record by taking 434 wickets. Among them Imran Khan, Kapil dev, Ian Botham also became great captains. Kapil dev won the world cup for India in 1983 under his Captaincy. Then went on winning the test series on england soil in 1986 after a gap of many years. Imran khan also won world cup for his country in 1992 under his captaincy. He also went on winning the test and One Day Series on Indian soil even though he had raw stuff and fresher players in His side in 1986. Newzealand team also rose to great heights when Richard Hadlee played. Ian Botham was the first player to score 5,000 runs and take 300 Test wickets, and the first to score a century and take 10 wickets in the same Test match. The style of Kapil dev was extraordinary. who can forget his 175 runs when India were 15/5 against zimbabwe in 1983 world cup and his brillaint innings of century in a tied test match in 1986 against australia,when india had the fear of facing followon and in the end came close to winning it.

Words are short if we keep on writing their achievements and records. But one thing is quite sure that people enjoyed watching thier aggressive style both in terms of batting and fielding and stadiums all over world were packed to full whenever they came to play. Lets hope that history repeats itself when such type of allrounders of great calibre come into existence again in the future years.

gladiator
February 24, 2007, 09:49 AM
Please dont mention Imran Khan with the others. :timeout:

In the last 10 years Imran averaged 50 with the bat 20 with the ball and captained the team to become world champions.

He would have gotten in any team in the world on the basis of his batting, bowling or his captaincy.
He is the best overall cricketer that cricket has ever seen.

sar2005
February 24, 2007, 12:48 PM
I thought Kallis or Flintof would be one of those kind but I was wrong. I don't see any hope to see anyone soon to perform like them with both bat and ball. Can you name any??

Tigers_eye
February 24, 2007, 10:35 PM
And all mentioned above including Flintoff, Kallis fell way short in every possible way one can think of against "the man" Clive Lloyd. He changed Cricket and opponents had no answers. In Australia or in England.

akabir77
February 24, 2007, 10:41 PM
Imran Khan, Botham, Viv Richards, Wasim Akram

IanW
February 26, 2007, 05:06 AM
*sigh* "Four greatest all rounders in cricket have been " ... and no Garry Sobers ? No Keith Miller ?

'The four greatest all rounders of the last forty years' perhaps.

Ian Whitchurch

PS Richard Hadlee had 2 centuries in 161 innings. A great quick, yes, but not a great allrounder.

gatekeeper
February 27, 2007, 02:51 AM

In the last 10 years Imran averaged 50 with the bat 20 with the ball and captained the team to become world champions.

He would have gotten in any team in the world on the basis of his batting, bowling or his captaincy.

Please look up this name in cricket dictionaries, "Sir Garfield Sobers".

gladiator
March 1, 2007, 02:14 PM
Please look up this name in cricket dictionaries, "Sir Garfield Sobers".
Gary Sobers
Bowling avg of 35. Are you sure he was a complete all rounder and not some part time bowler.

Tigers_eye
March 1, 2007, 02:27 PM
Yes, Sobers beats them all. The best there was. He bowled fast, he could swing the ball, and then turn the ball as a spinner and as a batsman no all rounder can come close to him. Few pure batsman could stand up against him with their stats.

Murad
March 1, 2007, 02:30 PM
sakib's name is goin to be addes to this list..very soon... in 5/6 months

Tigers_eye
March 1, 2007, 03:52 PM
sakib's name is goin to be addes to this list..very soon... in 5/6 months
wow!! out of nowhere....
Those men are up there because of 10-20 years of hard work. And you are putting a 19 year old kid in the same breath?

Sovik
March 1, 2007, 06:57 PM
shaun pollock had the potential to be one of the best. he never had the chance to show his batting capabilities

gatekeeper
March 2, 2007, 01:30 AM
Gary Sobers
Bowling avg of 35. Are you sure he was a complete all rounder and not some part time bowler.

You're kidding, right?

karimjay.
March 2, 2007, 05:05 AM
You're kidding, right?

I dont know.. He sounded kinda serious.

Baundule
March 2, 2007, 07:13 AM
Sobers MUST be there!

gladiator
March 7, 2007, 11:24 AM
You're kidding, right?

No, I am serious, sober had a bowling avg of 35, compared to imrans 20.

I wouldnt consider some body with an avg of 35 a decent bowler.

layperson
March 7, 2007, 01:08 PM
Personally I too am a huge huge fan of Imran khan. He is truly an allrounder. Bowling,batting,fielding, captaincy, he excelled in it all. However I would not dare to call sobers an ordinary bowler. Sobers is a legend in his own right. HOwever for me seeing is believing and I saw Imran Khan and not Sobers play so for me the best allrounder ever is Imran khan. NO one comes close to him.

RazabQ
March 8, 2007, 12:09 AM
Dude, Sobers is no doubt the greates allrounder in history. This is coming from some-one who grew up big Imran Khan posters in his room. Consider this. Sobers could bowl at genuine pace and swing the ball. And then he could bowl his left arm chinamans. The bowling average is misleading. As a batsman his innings against Aussies in World Series was rated the best ever by the Don. He was an outstanding fielder too. Imran Khan comes close but versatility, fielding puts sobers over the edge. I'll take Imran as skipper any day though.

layperson
March 8, 2007, 01:15 AM
I did not deny that Sobers is a legend himself. But I am someone who says seeing is believing. Which is why to me Imran Khan is the best allrounder for me. The turning point for me was after reading his autobiography, a book I borrowed from my dad. I became a big fan of his after reading that and this was in the early 90's just after the world cup triumph. Come to think of it I also grew up with huge posters of Imran and Wasim in my room.

gatekeeper
March 8, 2007, 01:31 AM
Personally I too am a huge huge fan of Imran khan. He is truly an allrounder. Bowling,batting,fielding, captaincy, he excelled in it all. However I would not dare to call sobers an ordinary bowler. Sobers is a legend in his own right. HOwever for me seeing is believing and I saw Imran Khan and not Sobers play so for me the best allrounder ever is Imran khan. NO one comes close to him.

one correction, Imran Khan was known for his below par fielding. BTW, I too am a fan. I also saw him play. In his era there were four great ones, Botham , Kapil Dev and Hadlee. While Botham was a little better batsman Imran was a better bowler, a guniuine quickie. But what sets him apart from the other three, for me is his captaincy. Pakistan owes a lot of their success to him.

But Sobers, whether you saw him play or not, if you are student of the game then you know was a class apart. RazabQ has put already it better than I could.

Outswinger
March 8, 2007, 05:22 AM
Khaled Mahmud
Khaled Mahmud
Khaled Mahmud
Khaled Mahmud

layperson
March 8, 2007, 11:32 AM
Khaled Mahmud
Khaled Mahmud
Khaled Mahmud
Khaled Mahmud

Outswinger=crazy
Outswinger=crazy
Outswinger=crazy

RazabQ
March 10, 2007, 11:21 PM
shahriyar - how weird is this: Allround View was a big big impact on me too! LOL. Just watch Arnab start making cracks again ...

scoilaheez
March 16, 2007, 11:51 PM
Sobers and Keith Miller have to be regarded up with the best of them. Sobers is the second greatest cricketer ever and yes his bowling was good enough.

vineet
April 2, 2007, 11:00 PM
Well when we check the average of Sobers in bowling, please don't forget his score of 365 while batting. When you compare all rounders their batting and bowling inclination would balance in totality only.

ellawilson
April 3, 2007, 01:28 AM
Every team has all rounders :-| but they all can not perform better all time. :D

thats depends upon the luck and their performance.

Arnab
April 4, 2007, 08:19 PM
shahriyar - how weird is this: Allround View was a big big impact on me too! LOL. Just watch Arnab start making cracks again ...

How defensive. :)

Zunaid
April 4, 2007, 08:28 PM
Don't ever forget Miller.

Zunaid
April 4, 2007, 08:30 PM
But this is the all-time best: :)

Guess who
M I NO Runs HS Av 100 50
11 16 1 862 127 57.47 3 3

Bowling:
Runs Wkts Av Best 5WI 10W/M Ct/St
803 68 11.81 7/7 4 2 10

Arnab
April 4, 2007, 08:44 PM
7/7 reminds me of Sarfaraz Nawaz but he was a duck with the bat.

Zunaid
April 4, 2007, 08:54 PM
7/7 reminds me of Sarfaraz Nawaz but he was a duck with the bat.

It's a trick query. Rethink your premises.

Kabir
April 4, 2007, 10:53 PM
It's a trick query. Rethink your premises.

The last time someone asked a trick question about cricket, the answer was Amir Khan in the movie Lagaan. Is it similar to that one?

Zunaid
April 4, 2007, 11:03 PM
The last time someone asked a trick question about cricket, the answer was Amir Khan in the movie Lagaan. Is it similar to that one?

I am talking about real cricket. Not some pseudo claptrap from across the border. Now, try again.

Kabir
April 4, 2007, 11:19 PM
I am talking about real cricket. Not some pseudo claptrap from across the border. Now, try again.

Here you go Sir. The answer to your question in Betty Wilson.

Admittedly, the 11 matches are a bit of a sticking point, but there were
only 11 matches available for this person to play between 1947 and 1957.

In short, there can only be ONE best allrounder of the 20th century, and
that person is Betty Wilson of Australia. Her batting average is less
than one run less than Sobers, and her bowling is infinitely better.

From Google Groups (http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.sport.cricket/browse_thread/thread/ebb069d47da1afce/389da8ab5e3c9529?lnk=st&q=best+803++runs+wkts+5wi+68&rnum=1&hl=en#389da8ab5e3c9529).

Zunaid
April 4, 2007, 11:21 PM
Here you go Sir. The answer to your question in Betty Wilson.

Congratulations. You get paid an all expense trip to BanglaCricket Hall of Fame for the Day.

Kabir
April 4, 2007, 11:26 PM
Congratulations. You get paid an all expense trip to BanglaCricket Hall of Fame for the Day.

Yayyyyyy :big_hug:

Ps. For IR freaks like me, stats isn't something that's always pulled from DBs, it can be pulled from the meaningless text of the web! :)

Zunaid
April 4, 2007, 11:28 PM
Yayyyyyy :big_hug:

Ps. For IR freaks like me, stats isn't something that's always pulled from DBs, it can be pulled from the meaningless text of the web! :)

Not as meaningless as you might think. I pay my mortgage based on making meaning out of meaningless text. :)

Kabir
April 4, 2007, 11:32 PM
Not as meaningless as you might think. I pay my mortgage based on making meaning out of meaningless text. :)

May be we have a few things in common. I've done a fair amount of work in this area...so making meaning out of it is basically a job I do :)

Currently trying to make the meaning out of non-renderable components of the web, by making it visible to blind users! Funny eh?

Nasif
April 4, 2007, 11:38 PM
How about (don't laugh):
Khaled Mahmud
Enamul Haq Moni
Naimur Rahman
Minhazul Abedin Nannu (ohhh those super slow bowling, [বাংলা]আর একটু স্লো হইলে বল গড়াইয়া স্টাম্পে যাবে...[/বাংলা])

Zunaid
April 4, 2007, 11:39 PM
Currently trying to make the meaning out of non-renderable components of the web, by making it visible to blind users! Funny eh?

Nice. I assume you are familiar with BOBBY.

Accessibility is a huge personal peeve of mine.

Kabir
April 4, 2007, 11:39 PM
Sorry Nasif bhai, can't help it. :floor: :floor: :floor:

Maaf kore diyen :lol:

Kabir
April 4, 2007, 11:45 PM
Nice. I assume you are familiar with BOBBY.

Accessibility is a huge personal peeve of mine.

Bobby's too old, follows WCAG 1.0. WCAG 2.0 (still working draft) has been used in a new tool called A-Checker, by ATRC at University of Toronto.

Jutta Treviranus (chair for WAI's authoring tool guidelines) is ATRC's director...I'm approaching her as 2nd supervisor for my thesis.

For IR, not sure if you're heard of Google Accessible Search (http://labs.google.com/accessible/). Made an impact...but over-rated I think.

Nasif
April 4, 2007, 11:52 PM
hmm... accessibility in allrounder thread.. sounds great

So, allrounders need accessibility to be great allrounders :)

Zunaid
April 4, 2007, 11:54 PM
Sorry Nasif bhai, can't help it. :floor: :floor: :floor:

Maaf kore diyen :lol:

I am now getting very tired of that damned ROFL icon. Guess I am too old.

Kabir
April 4, 2007, 11:54 PM
Ooops. Good one Nasif bhai. Back to topic :)

Who do you think is the fattest allrounder?

Mahir
April 5, 2007, 12:16 AM
Who do you think is the fattest allrounder?

Ramesh Powar ? :)

Bill "Fatty" Foulke maybe by far the fattest sportsman! Guess what... he used to be a goalkeeper in England. Yes - all of his 6 feet and 300 pounds minding the net in football!

layperson
April 5, 2007, 12:21 AM

I rarely come to this part of BC so did not see this thread for a while. Arnab bhai actually just put two words for this... not much of a crack it seems.May be he is losing touch.:)

Back to Imran's autobiography, the story of this man is an inspiration for me. Respect for him comes from within and this is something he has earned. I dont know if you watch that simi garewal rendezvous show but it had Imran khan in it and i just love it the way he talks. He makes a lot of sense and the best thing about him is he is self critical and has the humbleness to actually criticize and acknowledge his own mistakes. Another reason for me liking him so much is he always reminded me of my dad not in looks but in the way he carried himself and his persona.

BanCricFan
April 7, 2007, 04:07 AM
I have to go with Outswinger: Khaled Mahmud! The one and only allrounder!

Imran, Kapil and Sobers comes very close though!

Pak_rox
April 15, 2007, 10:08 AM

i agree , imran is imran the best of the bests , there nobody like him
whenever u ask any of the players who have played wid imran khan or evan any of the pakistani about his ideal he will say imran khas hes .... i havent got any words to describe IMRAN KHAN THE GREAT
the best cricket of PAKISTAN has ever produced .... I feel so much proud so much respect in my heart when I hear the name IMRAN KHAN