PDA

View Full Version : Double Century in One day Cricket

ellawilson
February 24, 2007, 04:06 AM
Will any one make double century in One Day Internationals. It may become possible in the next world cup 2007. The way the batsman are making runs it seems the day is not far away when this landmark will be achieved. The record for hightest individual score lies in the name of Saeed Anwar of Pakistan when he made 194 against India in 1997.

In 1975 GM turner of New Zealand made the highest individual cricket score in One day Internationals which remained unbeaten for many years. Kapil Dev broke this record by hitting 175 runs agains Zimbabwe in 1983 World Cup Match. Then in 1984 Vivian Richards of West Indies hit 189 runs against England. In the next decades, saurav ganguly,sachin tendulkar,HH Gibbs,Sanath Jayasurya,Gary Kirsten and Ms Dhoni made scores of 180 plus.

The reason of these batsman not able to reach 200 landmark is due to the restriction of 50 overs in the one day match as some of these batsman were not out. In one day matches batsman has to play according to the game startegy and they can not concentrate on personal landmarks. Most of these batsman were openers as they got many overs to play, but Vivian Richards and kapil dev etc were not openers. But the way the teams have crossed in scoring more than 400 runs in the recent past,the day is not far when personal landmark of 200 will be achieved.

gladiator
February 24, 2007, 09:55 AM
Now a days players are constantly making scores of 180+. So I agree its just a matter of time before somebody makes 20 more.

BTW Saeed Anwer was on 194 when he was caught by the boundry. Had he gone just a few yards longer or the fielder not there, we might have had a 200 on our hands but it was not to be.

Kabir
February 24, 2007, 11:55 AM
Not just for his 194 score against India, Saeed Anwar is indeed one of the classiest, most consistant, and entertaining opener I've seen. This guy is a true gentleman; just loved watching him play. Here's only part of the video of his 194 run innings against India. Can't find the full one - sorry.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Im1rZzmcrP0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Im1rZzmcrP0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hatebreed
February 24, 2007, 12:27 PM
Saeed Anwar was one my most favourite openers. I watched that inning, it was pure class. Pity he was caught so close to the boundary.

sar2005
February 24, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the vdo Kabir.

I remembered a line in a local daily on the next day :)
It was something like this,
"The way Anwar blasted Kumbley on 41st over, if he was not batting with a runner, one could definitely expect those hits to sail to the Bay of Bengal which is few meters away from the Chennai Stadium".

Yeah, I think there is a good chance that someone will break this record by scoring the first double hundread in ODI in WC07. As long as the scroe is not against BD, I'm happy to see that.

karimjay.
February 24, 2007, 11:51 PM
Hayden just hammered 180 odd.

Make Afridi open against Zimbos:).

We may have a new highest score in international cricket.

Yes you know what I'm talking about ;)

gatekeeper
February 27, 2007, 02:57 AM
200 HAS been reached in a one day game.

By a woman.

Imteaz
February 27, 2007, 04:53 AM
Thats the Thing. Belinda Jane Clark of Australia Scored 229 in The Match Between Australia Women v Denmark Women at Mumbai, Hero Honda Women's World Cup, 1997/98.

Tigers_eye
February 27, 2007, 10:09 AM
If i am not mistaken Jaya had few overs left and was not out. :) 200 was a piece of cake had they let him continue the onslaught.

And for Sayeed Anwar, boy he was a run machine. Dada had the catch at the boundary.

Miraz
February 28, 2007, 05:21 AM
We have to wait for a while. Someone is coming to score the first ever double ton in ODI. Have a look :)

An explosive double century from Zakir steered Parzoar Kalindi High School home with a massive 373-run win over Bangladesh International School in the Standard Chartered Young Tigers National School Cricket tournament Tuesday.

Opted to bat first, Parzoar was poised for a mammoth total of 454 for all in 49.4 overs as Zakir hit 238 off just 145 balls smashing 25 fours and five sixes at the Kalindi Cricket ground.

Bangladesh International, in reply, were bundled out for 81 in 23.5 overs as Parvez (4/17) and Alamgir (3/23) shared seven wickets.

Rabz
February 28, 2007, 08:27 AM
i reckon it would happen during this world cup...against one of them minnows...

Shafin
February 28, 2007, 09:39 AM
There was a double sentury from a school boy of Kalindi High School yesterday.The School won By 378 runs,they scored 450 odd and the boyscored about 250 (please check the newspapers for the correct stats,i'm writing on memory.)