PDA

View Full Version : Cricketers turning into Commentators after retirement...

ellawilson
February 24, 2007, 04:08 AM
What cricketers do after retirement. Some of them open thier private coaching academies. Somejoin other businesses or services. But there is one more profession these days and its Commentary which make them familiar and pouplar across the world. Many cricketers have turned to become commentators after retirement. Sunil Gavaskar,Navjot Sidhu,Sanjay Manjrekar,Ravi Shastri,Arun Lal are among the Indian cricket players who became commentators. Then Roshan Mahanama from Sri Lanka,Rameej Raja,Imran Khan from Pakistan,Michael Holding and Richie Richardson from West Indies also joined the same profession of commentary. They had contact with certain TV channels. Michael Aurthoton,David Gower,Jeffroy Boycott from England and Ian chappel,Dean Jones,Tony Greig etc from Australia also came in into commentary.

The style and expression of Navjot Singh Sidhu was quite liked by Sri Lankans as he used idioms and phrases in his commentary. Sunil Gavaskar and Imran Khan were not full time commentators as they had their other ventures also. Geffroy Boycott was famous for nice comments and Imran khan had his own style.

The good points in a Commentator should be that their voice should be clear and understandable and they should know about the rules of the game. So for a cricketer who spend his entire life till date in playing cricket ,nodoubt,knows the rules of cricket. Its the voice and skill of presentation that matters. Other thing is that a commentator should not be biased. As these Commentators had been players for thier respective countries in the past so the loayalty for thier own nation is expressed sometimes. As a professional the commentator should speak about players of both the sides and they should not give controversial comments.

sar2005
February 24, 2007, 12:59 PM
Are you from Srilanka?? How do you know that SL people like Shidhu?
Anyway, welcome to BC.

Can we make this thread a list of all those commentators who are ex-cricketer?
Add them here -

Bangladesh:
Atahar Ali

India:
S. Gavaskar,
Navjot Sidhu,
Sanjay Manjrekar,
Ravi Shastri,
Arun La
Shib..Krishna (I don't know his full name)

Srilanka:
Roshan Mahanama

Pakistan:
Ramiz Raja,
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younus

West Indies:
Michael Holding
Richie Richardson

England:
Michael Aurtherton,
David Gower,
Jeffroy Boycott
Nasir Hussain

Australia:
Ian chappel,
Dean Jones,
Tony Greig
Mark Taylor
Ian Hily
Michael Slater

Bancan
February 24, 2007, 01:45 PM
wasim akram

sar2005
February 24, 2007, 02:37 PM
wasim akram

Ah! how did I miss him!:hairpull:

pseudo_deshi
March 2, 2007, 07:24 PM
Amir Sohail - Pak

Sovik
March 3, 2007, 08:55 AM
they got to pay their mortgage

SMHasan
April 19, 2007, 09:55 PM
Tony Greg is from England though.

Rabz
April 19, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hey... talking about commentators...
you missed the greatest of them all...

Richie Benaud

He is the voice of cricket.

Pak_rox
April 20, 2007, 12:35 PM
rameez is my fav

battye
April 21, 2007, 09:50 AM
Zimbabwe has Pommie Mbangwa and Andy Pycroft.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Pommie was even commentating at the World Cup.

SMHasan
April 21, 2007, 10:32 PM
Hey... talking about commentators...
you missed the greatest of them all...

Richie Benaud

He is the voice of cricket.

I don't like Richie. I don't find him as a great analyser like Geoffry Boycott or Ian Chappel. Besides his voice is not that attractive.

One World
April 22, 2007, 12:12 AM
A bit off topic but what is your opinion on the prospect of Habibul Bashar becoming a commentrator in near future.

Hatebreed
April 22, 2007, 08:40 AM
Tony Greig is English. Add David Lloyd, I really enjoy his commentry.

cricketboy
April 22, 2007, 03:34 PM
Brian Lara can be a good commentator.

Sovik
April 24, 2007, 07:41 PM
Tony Greig is English. Add David Lloyd, I really enjoy his commentry.

<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gLQ3f7QQ2ms" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

loved Lloyed in this video