PDA

View Full Version : Your REALSITIC expectations from the WC?

pseudo_deshi
February 26, 2007, 03:19 PM
Lets be honest - Bangladesh are unlikely to lift the trophy - but we have seen in the last WC how Kenya nearly went all the way.

So as Bengali fans - what are your realistic hopes from your team? Would would you considere a GOOD WC? What would constitute a BAD WC?

zakirc
February 26, 2007, 03:25 PM
I would like to see us in the 2nd round. And if that actually happens, there is every chance for us to move even further, cos our player's confidence level and team spirit will be that high. I strongly believe if our current team performs 80% of their full capacity, we are capable of beating any side.

Hatebreed
February 26, 2007, 03:29 PM
Second round is a realistic target, and expectation.

layperson
February 26, 2007, 03:32 PM
Going to the second round and beating pakistan in the playoffs. :-D

Farhad
February 26, 2007, 03:41 PM
There's already a thread on this matter.........

Rubu
February 26, 2007, 03:49 PM
To Me, winning against Bermuda must be a given. I do not want to have another nightmare like Canada. Then:

Big Success: Go to 2nd round aka beat one of IND/SL
Success: Give SL AND IND a run for their money.
OK: Have winning attitude toward both games regardless of result.
Unacceptable: Respected lose attitude.I do not care about how we loose against IND/SL if we loose.

Rubu
February 26, 2007, 03:50 PM
Going to the second round and beating pakistan in the playoffs. :-D IF we do go to the 2nd round, our play off will be against SL/IND (who ever goes to 2nd round).

Tigers_eye
February 26, 2007, 04:13 PM
Realistic expectation is get india all out within 250 if batting second. If batting first score 270+.

Kabir
February 26, 2007, 04:48 PM
Realistic expection: Fly wearing parachute, and expect a big win against either India or Sri Lanka. If we win against one of them, it doesn't mean we can badly lose against the other. However, win against Bermuda should not be considered just as easy.

If there's no parachute available, I refuse to have any expectations. Betha pabar shombhabona ase.

Spitfire_x86
February 26, 2007, 04:56 PM
Win against Bermuda.

One huge defeat against either SL or India.

One so called "honorable defeat" that makes most fans happy (the kind which comes from playing for reducing margin of defeat)

pseudo_deshi
February 26, 2007, 05:02 PM
My view for what its worth....

Easy win v Bermuda. On the end of a severe beating from S Lanka.

But the shock of tournament when you scrape a win vs an over-confident India!

BangladeshFan
February 26, 2007, 07:55 PM
My realistic hope is to win atleast a game against Ind or Sl. otherwise I will consider this WC a failure for Bangladesh.

............ and ofcourse a loss is a loss, it doesnt matter if they lose by 1 run or 100 runs. it doesnt make any difference to the points. days of "shommanjonok porajoy" are over.

al Furqaan
February 26, 2007, 08:03 PM
realistically i expect bangladesh to lose both to India and SL:

it is also realistically possible that BD beats one or the other and continues to super 8. tho thats improbable.

i will be dissappointed with the first result as it will be like walking up on the 'down' escalator

Imteaz
February 27, 2007, 04:02 AM
The Best Result will be to Qualify for 2nd Round. But There are Lots of Factors which were Discussed by all Members on Other Threads. So I didnt find any Reason to Discuss the Same Things Again.

fwullah
February 27, 2007, 07:53 AM
Realistic expectation is get india all out within 250 if batting second. If batting first score 270+.

Scoring 250 or 270 is a not realistic.

We simple can't do it against India or Sri Lanka.

P. S. we can't even score over 300 against Bermuda / Scotland. What makes anyone to expect that we can score 250-270 against test playing nations?

Miraz
February 27, 2007, 08:31 AM
Scoring 250 or 270 is a not realistic.

We simple can't do it against India or Sri Lanka.

P. S. we can't even score over 300 against Bermuda / Scotland. What makes anyone to expect that we can score 250-270 against test playing nations?

Bangladesh scored 257 against India (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/IND_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/IND_BDESH_ODI3_27DEC2004.html)

Bangladesh scored 250 against Australia
(http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/OD_TOURNEYS/NWS/SCORECARDS/AUS_BDESH_NWS_ODI2_18JUN2005.html)
Bangladesh scored another 250 against Australia (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/OD_TOURNEYS/NWS/SCORECARDS/AUS_BDESH_NWS_ODI9_30JUN2005.html)

Bangladesh scored 265 against Sri Lanka. (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/iccct2006/engine/match/249739.html)

Last time I checked, Australia, India and Sri Lanka are test playing nations.

tonoy
February 27, 2007, 11:01 PM
i seriously want to make india cry this world cup. I want them to suffer defeat like the tour of South Africa!

Kamnew
February 28, 2007, 12:25 AM
Win against Bermuda.

One huge defeat against either SL or India.

One so called "honorable defeat" that makes most fans happy (the kind which comes from playing for reducing margin of defeat)

Spitfire you are honest supporter of Bangladesh.
Many may not like your way of thinking here.

mhj007
February 28, 2007, 02:33 AM
i would like us to go to the second round!!!
Junior

sunny747
February 28, 2007, 02:42 AM
of course i want our team to go second round.....but i don't think we can beat srilanka or india.......it's highly unlikely unless they play really good.......let's hope for the best....i'm already taking holiday from my office during the game..

BD-Shardul
February 28, 2007, 02:50 AM
I just dont understand why do people use "Bengali" instead of Bangladeshi.
I dont want the debate (As people may think I am a BNP supporter, and I am not that), but the fact is that what is in our passport? Even in the letters written to ICC by our respected DR. Zunaid Kazi, the word Bengali was used. But what is this? This does not sound good. I vigorously oppose this. Please use Bangladeshi, as this specifically points to the citizents of Bangladesh, while the Bengali includes everyone who speaks Bangla. Sp that may include the Kolkatan Dadas too, which we dont like of course.

Sorry for the off topic.

I hope that BD will go past ist round this time by thrashing Dadas. Yes we have realistic chance to do that.

zakirc
February 28, 2007, 03:15 AM
I just dont understand why do people use "Bengali" instead of Bangladeshi.
I dont want the debate (As people may think I am a BNP supporter, and I am not that), but the fact is that what is in our passport? Even in the letters written to ICC by our respected DR. Zunaid Kazi, the word Bengali was used. But what is this? This does not sound good. I vigorously oppose this. Please use Bangladeshi, as this specifically points to the citizents of Bangladesh, while the Bengali includes everyone who speaks Bangla. Sp that may include the Kolkatan Dadas too, which we dont like of course.

Sorry in advance, but I had to add the fact that Bangladeshi includes all the Pahari Chakma, Mog Murong and other indigenous part of our population whereas Banglali excludes those and adds our dadas. This was the notion behind Bangladeshi nationality and this is the way it should be.

I have seen Bangladeshi people supporting Pakistan in a BD vs. Pak cricket match. Our hillmen, at least the few I saw closely will never do that. Referring to ourselves as "Bangali" leaves these very patriotic people out and that is not acceptable.

mhj007
February 28, 2007, 03:25 AM
Realistic expection: Fly wearing parachute, and expect a big win against either India or Sri Lanka. If we win against one of them, it doesn't mean we can badly lose against the other. However, win against Bermuda should not be considered just as easy.

If there's no parachute available, I refuse to have any expectations. Betha pabar shombhabona ase.

kabir bhai,valo kotha bolchhen.
Junior

incredible
February 28, 2007, 06:28 PM
Realistic hoile..no chance with india ..with theiur batting line upp..mone hoy na ..
Sri Lankar sateh chance ase ... bowl them out for 250-260 and chase it
Deal with Murali and the rest are liek other team bowlers

Spitfire_x86
February 28, 2007, 06:33 PM
Realistic hoile..no chance with india ..with theiur batting line upp..mone hoy na ..
Sri Lankar sateh chance ase ... bowl them out for 250-260 and chase it
Deal with Murali and the rest are liek other team bowlers
"Deal with Murali" :p
Easy to say in 3 words, but immeasurably harder in reality.

And last time in ICCCT they completely outclassed us without any major contribution from Murali.

Thirdman
March 1, 2007, 04:20 PM
(little un-)realistic expectation: Ashraful plays like he should against at least one of the first round matches against India or Sri Lanka. The rest of the team just stick to the basics. And we win at least one of those matches.

Tigers_eye
March 1, 2007, 04:42 PM
Guys, Indian bowling attack is not something that should scare Nafees, Tamim, Aftab, Sakib, Bashar, Ash, Mushfiq, Mash, Rafique or Razzak. That leaves Rasel/Shahadat out. We can attack and go after their bowling. The problem is we must field better and bowl our line length, eliminate mistakes if we want to hold them below our score.

Xavier
March 1, 2007, 04:53 PM
I couldn't see the tri-nations matches, but I'm glad to notice Saqibul century and Ashraful +50: with Shariar and Aftab they are a good batting side for Bangladesh at the world cup and for years to come.

pseudo_deshi
March 1, 2007, 05:38 PM
Apologies for using the term 'Bengali' - didnt realise it was a divisive term.

Will use 'BD' in future.

Arnab
March 1, 2007, 07:54 PM
Apologies for using the term 'Bengali' - didnt realise it was a divisive term.

Will use 'BD' in future.

It's not a divisive term. Bangladeshis are Bengalis as well (the very small % of tribal people notwithstanding). Feel free to use Bengali, and Bangladeshi.

rafiq
March 2, 2007, 03:34 AM
points from the Bermuda game, one close match against the big guns but a Champions Trophy/WI style letdown in the other...exit in first round...solid performances from ashraful, nafees, aftab....spilled catches and missed stumpings from mushfiq, a selector-made disaster in the opening pair..rafique will be a non-factor....i think bangladesh's breakthrough players are going to be razzak, saquib and mashrafee....if he is healthy he could carry the team and take us into the next round.

zakirc
March 2, 2007, 03:58 AM
It's not a divisive term. Bangladeshis are Bengalis as well (the very small % of tribal people notwithstanding). Feel free to use Bengali, and Bangladeshi.

And thereby include the millions of West-Bengal Bengali's with us ... lolz. Maybe we can call "dada" to join our WC team.

Dude, while most Bangladeshis are Bengalis, most Bengalis are not Bangladeshis (Not by that significant a margin to write them off like you did), didn't you take Logic: 101?

Thunder
March 2, 2007, 09:22 AM
In a given day, anything can happen but the reality is the chances for us against india and srilanka are very low.

But we should also mind that, we have the team who did the unthinkable like the biggest upset in one day history. We also managed convert the thinkable to unthinkable when we lose to Canada in the last world cup.

This time, i won't be surprised even if we lose to Bermuda :confused:

zakirc
March 2, 2007, 05:31 PM
This time, i won't be surprised even if we lose to Bermuda :confused:

They will have to create a (Bermuda) Triangle around our players ... and cast spells [বাংলা]বান মারা [/বাংলা]to achieve that :D

Sumon77
March 5, 2007, 05:04 AM
Realistically, a confortable win against Beremuda... and good fight against IND and SL and leave with some remarkable individual performances specially few half centuries fom top and middle orders.
Cant expect anything more as the wickets seems to be batting friendly and our bowlers are not up to the mark to create pressure on neither indians or lankans. They may easily go over 300. though we also not that bad with batting, but I am afraid we couldnt cross the mental barrier of crossing 300. Anyway, a score of 250+ will make me happy.

Lidcombe
March 5, 2007, 05:40 AM
india is looking very very over confident.....i think this is one of their best chance to win th WC, we wont see most of their key players in 2011. honestly, sachin, ganguly, dravid, kumble r the cricket legends but never ever had the taste of WC. so they will b thursty, they will b hungry, they can b dangerous. and following that theory, indians r over confident. their mission will start against us. they will b flying high in the sky in that day. they want a perfect start. i believe we should break their venom teeth, destroy their wining spirit as quick as they understand wats goin on. this will shock them against their over confident attitude which will break their spine and we can thump the win. i believe. lets do it. guys...

i dont mind loosing against SL or Bermuda or missing the second round as long as we beat the indians.. Indians are ignoring us big time.. we have played every test nation countries around the globe except India. they never care about our cricket although they r our neighbour. its not only their cricket board it also their Cricket forums, websites, even indian ppl. i never heard from any Australians who disrespect our cricket, but i have found so many indians who made fun of us..

so its is the perfect time to pay them off... im really hopinf for it. we dont have much to proud of. cricket is our proud, our life. i know its sounds very very imotional but i am really expecting from our cricketers they will do it for our country.

pseudo_deshi
March 18, 2007, 11:55 AM
But the shock of tournament when you scrape a win vs an over-confident India!
Ok - it wasnt the shock (Ireland saw to that) - and neither did they scrape it - they BATTERED India.

zakirc
March 20, 2007, 09:14 AM
Thought this was a nice time to dig up this thread ... :D

Just look at what some of us said .. ::floor:

mhj007
March 20, 2007, 09:18 AM
i want bangladesh to go to second round first,then to semis,if possible to the finals...if all goes to plan..why not lifting the cup?
Junior

Tigers_eye
March 20, 2007, 09:52 AM
Those who doubted me and some of my BC members are no show or eating their words but smiling hopefully.

fwullah
March 20, 2007, 11:17 AM
"Deal with Murali" :p
Easy to say in 3 words, but immeasurably harder in reality.

And last time in ICCCT they completely outclassed us without any major contribution from Murali.

Yes, we have to perform against the Lankan pacers first, with the new ball. Not to mention the youngster in SL team - Tharanga, and the old guards Jayawardena and Sangakara.

We had always performed our worst against the Lankans since we expected more from our team against them. So, I will not be expecting anything from them, especially if you'd remember, my strategy of Aftab batting at 6 is not being followed by our current team management and Kapali is not even in the Bangladesh squad. They were the two main players in the BD team when we got ourselves to a position of not winning at one stage.