mhj007
February 27, 2007, 11:57 AM
BREAKING NEWS:
Pakistan's injury worries continue

Knee injury forces Razzaq out of World Cup

Cricinfo staff

February 27, 2007

More trouble for Pakistan as they lose a key player in Abdul Razzaq © AFP

Abdul Razzaq, the Pakistan allrounder, has been ruled out of the World Cup with a knee injury suffered just prior to the team's scheduled departure for the West Indies. Razzaq sustained the injury during a practice session on Monday at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore and doctors have said that he might be out for up to three weeks.

"I am simply devastated. One moment we are practicing and planning for the big tournament and next moment doctors tell me I am out of it," Razzaq told agencies. "It is hugely disappointing for me to go out this way," said Razzaq, who would have been playing in his third World Cup, had it not been for the last-minute injury. Razzaq, who has played 229 ODIs for Pakistan, recently missed the Test series in South Africa because of an elbow injury.

"Razzaq suffered the injury during practice and we suspect it may be ligament damage or even a fracture. He is out for three weeks," PJ Mir, the media manager of the Pakistan Cricket Board, told Cricinfo. "Azhar Mahmood will be his replacement."

Mahmood, who was already kept on standby given the injury worries in the fast bowling line-up. Pakistan were already in a state of confusion as Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif, the fastbowling spearheads, were in doubt to be fit in time for the World Cup.

Shoaib and Asif are currently in England for medical check-ups and were not present for the dope tests conducted by the board on the players in the World Cup squad. Shoaib had pulled out of Pakistan's tour to South Africa after he picked up a hamstring injury during the second Test at Port Elizabeth. Asif, who played the entire tour, is carrying an elbow injury.

The two had tested positive for the banned substance nandrolone in October when the board tested players before the Champions Trophy. They were both handed bans from international cricket but in an unexpected turn of events a drugs tribunal, appointed by the board, reversed the judgement in December on account of the fact that the players were able to prove "exceptional circumstances" for taking the drug.

"It is a big blow. We were celebrating Umar Gul's fitness boost when this sad news came," Bob Woolmer, Pakistan's coach, was quoted as saying by AFP. Gul had just been cleared to play after an ankle injury threatened his chances of making it to the Caribbean for one-day cricket's premier tournament.

"It is a major blow for us because Razzaq is one of our main players," Inzamam-ul-Haq, the Pakistan captain said, in reaction to the news of Razzaq's injury.

my opinion?:its a big blow for the pakistanis,as he is a key batsman at the end overs,also an effective medium pacer
Junior

Kabir
February 27, 2007, 12:17 PM
I just almost got a heat attack. Can the title be changed to "Abdul Razzak of PAKISTAN out of world cup" please?

Sad news for Pakistan. I wish he was playing for the Indian team :smug:

Tigers_eye
February 27, 2007, 12:18 PM
They were not in my final four list. This injury would set them back more.

Why PCB is dodging the dope testing of Asif and Shoaib? Injury on elbow and hamstring can't allow them to give urine samples? what type of logic is this? Definitely there is something going on.

Yup! we should have won the test.

Tigers_eye
February 27, 2007, 12:20 PM
Yes the name in the title should be changed to Abdul Razzaq.

MarufH
February 27, 2007, 12:34 PM
Coudn't care less. I just wanna see how Yusuf play in that team. Thats all.

akabir77
February 27, 2007, 12:43 PM
wish we had a game with them...

gatekeeper
February 27, 2007, 01:17 PM
Move this to the right catagory please, thanks.

gatekeeper
February 27, 2007, 01:31 PM
Move this to the right catagory please, thanks.

Sorry, this IS the right place.

ialbd
February 27, 2007, 01:32 PM
phew.... its not our Razzak, mods plz hav the name 'Pakistan' on the thread title somewhere as a favor to the die-hard BD fans with weak heart (like me).....

irteja
February 27, 2007, 02:31 PM
oh my god... when i read the Thread Title i shout and my heart beat stoped for a second...this must be a joke ...MJH007 u are either blind or dumb...Abdur Razzak play for bangladesh..the person u are talking about is Abdul Razzaq...u must use ( From Pakistan) after his name.

Mods please change the Title or delete this Thread Before someone get a real Heartattack or stroke

AsifTheManRahman
February 27, 2007, 02:35 PM
what are people freaking about? the title says "abdul razzak", not "abdur razzak".

Mods please change the Title or delete this Thread Before someone get a real Heartattack or stroke

would you kill yourself if bangladesh lost the world cup?

AsifTheManRahman
February 27, 2007, 02:36 PM
MJH007 u are either blind or dumb...Abdur Razzak play for bangladesh..the person u are talking about is Abdul Razzaq...u must use ( From Pakistan) after his name.

accusing someone of being "blind and dumb" when you yourself failed to notice the title said Abdul and not Abdur?

Kabir
February 27, 2007, 02:48 PM
what are people freaking about? the title says "abdul razzak", not "abdur razzak".

would you kill yourself if bangladesh lost the world cup?

ATMR: I wasn't complaining about mhj007's thread, neither was I accusing him of the title. It's just that Abdur Razzak and Abdul Razzak are so similar (just the matter of a character). That's why, JUST TO MAKE IT EASIER, and to make sure that nobody gets a heart attack, it was a request to the mods. Nothing personal to mhj007.

Please refrain from personal attacks fellow members.

irteja
February 27, 2007, 03:17 PM

would you kill yourself if Bangladesh lost the world cup?

Well Such comment is very sad...Asif bhai..no one is going to kill ourself if Bangladesh lost the World cup. infect no one Expect us to win the world cup. but everyone Expect Abdur Razzak to play in the world cup... this is the biggest moments in every crickets player's career..they waited so long for this and dream to perform for the country...injury at last moment not only Shatter their dream but also this pain last forever in his career and mind...so please don't compare two completely different thing like this .

accusing someone of being "blind and dumb" when you yourself failed to notice the title said Abdul and not Abdur?

well as kabir bhi said this is confusing...if someone come to me and say about Razzak first thing come to my mind is Abdur Rajjak from Bangladesh..he is always in our mind and our best wishes is always with him..this is Razzak first World cup and he is our great asset in this world cup...so ofcouse Cricket fan might get scocked...they wont spend time checking is it abdur or abdul....so we request Mods to add FROM PAKISTAN in thread Title so no one get shocked or upset at the first place....thats all..

Kabir
February 27, 2007, 08:47 PM
Please refrain from personal attacks fellow members.

Just to clerify (coz I think it's not clear), I meant to address all fellow BC members and request that no-one makes any personal attacks to mhj007. It wasn't intended to address ATMR.

Thanks.

Ehsan
February 27, 2007, 09:02 PM
That's a big blow for Pakistan. No more late order fireworks eh!

Ehsan
February 27, 2007, 09:04 PM
BTW, Kabir bhai dekhi ajkal "no personal attacks" use korte shuru korse eh. ;)

Kabir
February 27, 2007, 09:20 PM
BTW, Kabir bhai dekhi ajkal "no personal attacks" use korte shuru korse eh. ;)

Hahaha. Influenced by Ehsan...I still remember that joke :)

mhj007
February 28, 2007, 02:40 AM
are bhai,ami abdul razzak lekhsilam,amader desher player abdur razzak...tachhara amader razzak injured hoile oi khbr bangladesh cricket forum-a thakto.jhk,amar 'from pakistan' na lekhata 1ta chhoto khato mistake chhilo.sorry for that.but this mistake has been corrected.
Junior

Kabir
March 1, 2007, 12:30 PM
Well, not so breaking. But yes, Shoaib and Asif are out of WC officially.

As had been expected for some time now, Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif were finally ruled out of Pakistan's World Cup squad, though the decision, farcically, came minutes before the team's departure to the Caribbean. Asif is down with an elbow injury while Shoaib is nursing a crocked knee.

Read more: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/281976.html

cricketboy
March 1, 2007, 02:28 PM
It would be great if India has injuries to 3 of their players than pakistan only because we are playing against them. :) I am sad for pakistan, atleast Asif would have made them a stronger side than they are now. :(

pseudo_deshi
March 1, 2007, 03:46 PM
Big blow for Pak - he was required for his lusty late order hitting

Xavier
March 1, 2007, 04:34 PM
A very depleted bowling attack for Pakistan: Gul, Sami, Mahmood, Kaneria...?

pseudo_deshi
March 1, 2007, 05:31 PM
A very depleted bowling attack for Pakistan: Gul, Sami, Mahmood, Kaneria...?Will rely heavily on MoYo, Malik and Inzi with the bat - and with all hopes pinned on Gul.....I am worried.