PDA

View Full Version : fielding strategy

al Furqaan
March 1, 2007, 11:26 PM
i was wondering what kind of field sets are allowed in ODIs during the non-power play overs.

is it possible to use "off side theories"?

basically this would entail packing the offside with fielders and instructing bowlers to bowl wide of the off stump. mash, rasel, razzak, rafique might be the guys with the accuracy to pull this off.

this would really allow us to curb the RR. i am attaching a drawing of the proposed field for a right handed batsman.

**** upload failed.

but basically i had the 9 fielders positioned as such:

2 slips
cover
point
mid off
3rd man
deep cover
deep point
deep extra cover

would that be allowable???

Duck
March 2, 2007, 01:04 AM
You have to hire big-old Mcgrath for this field-setting.......... :)

zakirc
March 2, 2007, 04:21 AM
Very risky strategy .... I don't think our bowlers are that accurate. All the batsmen would need to do is wait for a straighter / legstamp line delivery and there u go ...

You have to hire big-old Mcgrath for this field-setting.......... :)

I don't think Mcgrath would agree though, he is already selected by Australia and has the potential to win the WC 3rice !! :D

Rubu
March 2, 2007, 08:51 AM
Here is the fielding restrictions as far as I know. I'm posting it here so that I can get my knowledge corrected.

During power play, you will have to have 9 fielders in-field. Where? Does not matter. As long as 9 is in the circle and two are out, it is OK. Question, if some captain wants, can they keep 10 in circle, or all in circle or that matter?

If it is not power play, at least 5 (or is it 4?) has to be in circle. Where does not matter again.

During the first 10 overs of the power play (power play 1), you must have at least 1 slip.

No fielder can change position once bowler starts his run up (no ball if it is done).

No fielder can be seated when bowler starts run up.

Is any of them wrong? is there anymore fielding rules?

al Furqaan
March 2, 2007, 12:32 PM
sounds right, rubu bhai

tho i have to real clue

sadi
March 2, 2007, 01:05 PM
During power play, you will have to have 9 fielders in-field. Where? Does not matter. As long as 9 is in the circle and two are out, it is OK. Question, if some captain wants, can they keep 10 in circle, or all in circle or that matter?

If it is not power play, at least 5 (or is it 4?) has to be in circle. Where does not matter again.

During the first 10 overs of the power play (power play 1), you must have at least 1 slip.

No fielder can change position once bowler starts his run up (no ball if it is done).

No fielder can be seated when bowler starts run up.

Is any of them wrong? is there anymore fielding rules?

As long as you have atleast 9 players inside the circle, there is no restriction. You can have 10 or all 11 players inside the circle if you wish. After the powerplay, atleast 4 fielders have to be inside the circle. During the first 10 overs of powerplay, 2 players has to be in the catching position. Not necessarily the slip but slip is considered one of the catching position. Except the fielder in catching position, others can walk after the bowlers starts his runup.

There can not be more than two players behind square on the onside.

sadi
March 2, 2007, 01:12 PM
i was wondering what kind of field sets are allowed in ODIs during the non-power play overs.

is it possible to use "off side theories"?

basically this would entail packing the offside with fielders and instructing bowlers to bowl wide of the off stump. mash, rasel, razzak, rafique might be the guys with the accuracy to pull this off.

this would really allow us to curb the RR. i am attaching a drawing of the proposed field for a right handed batsman.

**** upload failed.

but basically i had the 9 fielders positioned as such:

2 slips
cover
point
mid off
3rd man
deep cover
deep point
deep extra cover

would that be allowable???

It will be pretty childish to try these kinda field setting. International players are good enough to pull a ball from way outside the offstump toward midwicket. In these kinda field setting, you can't bowl stright and the line has to be way outside offstick. Again, either it will be so wide that it will be called a wide or a batsman will be able to pull it through midon to midwicket region. Legside theory is more appropiate where you can bowl at the bodyline. But I don't think you are allowed to have more than 5 fielders on the onside.

Tigers_eye
March 2, 2007, 01:24 PM
captain can have 10 within the circle anytime as long as there is two fielders in catching position (within 15 yards from the center point but for fast bowlers they can stand a little back) and not moving. they are called stationary fielders.

At the time of bowling there can't be more than 5 at the leg side.

Unrestricted overs only 5 are permitted to stand out side the circle.
Law 41.
http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/rules/wc07_playing_conditions.pdf

Tigers_eye
March 2, 2007, 01:27 PM
If one loads the offside, all the batsman has to do is to take a step or two and guard the off stump. Then play the ball on the leg side for easy four (running between the wickets) since no fielders are there.

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2007, 01:43 PM
International players are good enough to pull a ball from way outside the offstump toward midwicket. In these kinda field setting, you can't bowl stright and the line has to be way outside offstick. Again, either it will be so wide that it will be called a wide or a batsman will be able to pull it through midon to midwicket region.

That, or the batsman will have so much width that he will have no problem in dispatching the ball through the gaps - albeit tight - on the off-side.