PDA

View Full Version : The forgotten question: Who is after Whatmore?

Rubu
March 2, 2007, 05:17 PM
Most of us has forgotten one question. At least we forgot to discuss it. After this world cup that starts in a few days, Whatmore's tenant will be over.

What should we do then?

Renew his contract, if he is willing?
Find a new coach? Who?

My personal opinion is, we should contact Rechard McInnes to coach the senior tigers. Mind it, aftab, shakib, nafees, shahadat are the main assets of the team right now, and guess who created them! yes, he shaped them with his own hand. I know he is already in an honorable position in Australia team, but I don't think he would mind leaving that for the main coach's position of Bangladesh. At least it worth trying.

zakirc
March 2, 2007, 05:34 PM
Tough call. But I would like Whatmore to continue ... however, I might change my opinion after the WC.

Tigers_eye
March 2, 2007, 05:38 PM
Just hold your horses till march 17th the day we beat India. Chapple out the door. Then Dav would have his dream job open once again. Then we can discuss. Else, I see him staying with us for a little longer.

billah
March 2, 2007, 05:45 PM
If we do unexpectedly well, such as go into the 2nd round, and may be win a match there, BCB will most likely keep Dav on. They will renew probably 1 more year. This what I think, not based on any inside info.

I think it's time he goes. It's time for fresh thinking, fresh blood. I will exit from this discussion now, befor Miraz shows up with more irrelevant data to support Dav...:)

ialbd
March 2, 2007, 05:56 PM
what else, the same emotion & sentiment driven decisions we always take......

cricman
March 2, 2007, 06:34 PM
If we do unexpectedly well, such as go into the 2nd round, and may be win a match there, BCB will most likely keep Dav on. They will renew probably 1 more year. This what I think, not based on any inside info.

I think it's time he goes. It's time for fresh thinking, fresh blood. I will exit from this discussion now, befor Miraz shows up with more irrelevant data to support Dav...:)

I think if that happens Beat India and a super 8 win, Whatmore may leave, I don't know much about his character but that for BD is winning the cup and he may wanna leave on a high note.

Miraz
March 2, 2007, 07:03 PM

billah bhai, you are trying a textbook style provocation. I am not going that way. Grow up man!!

Now about next BD coach. My wish is simple.

If Dav stays, I hope he will continue his good work and will make Bangladesh a formidable outfit in both ODI and tests within couple of years (this will be realtively easy now as he has found the core players with couple of places still open).

If Dav leaves and BCB opts for a new coach. I will expect the new coach will be a professional one and he will maintain the slope of the progress graph of recent years. I only care about Bangladesh Cricket, If the new coach can perform better than Dav, that will be real great achievement for Bangladesh.

pseudo_deshi
March 2, 2007, 07:11 PM
Pak are likely to be looking for a new coach post WC.

What are BD cricket boards finances like?

TheWatcher
March 2, 2007, 07:25 PM
Renew his contract, if he is willing?
I say- heck no. DW never tried to hide his ambition to coach a better international team. if we renew his contract, that will most likely have a get-out clause. If he does not want to have a long term comitment with us, that means he does not have a long term plan for the team either. I don't see any point keeping him like this.

Find a new coach? Who?
How about John Wright ? He has experience working with a subcontinental team.

My personal opinion is, we should contact Rechard McInnes to coach the senior tigers.
I don't think that's a good idea. As the head coach of the national team, you need to keep good relation with BCB. McInnes never tried to hide how much he loathed our corrupt sports administrators (I don't blame him). He will, most likely, be in constant clash with BCB (and BD media), and that will be bad a distraction for the national team.

al Furqaan
March 2, 2007, 08:06 PM
welcome pseudo_deshi...enjoy ur stay

sunniath
March 2, 2007, 08:53 PM
richard mcinnes.no doubt about it if he is willing to take the job.

akabir77
March 2, 2007, 09:50 PM
richard mcinnesby huk-kur or by kuk-kur

al Furqaan
March 2, 2007, 11:45 PM

i generally try to stay out of quibles that don't concern me but...

billah bhai, miraz bhai puts great passion into research. i might not agree with it all the time, and i am in favor of a new coach regardless of how well Dav and BD do this WC, but your comment was a bit harsh.

zakirc
March 3, 2007, 02:33 AM
I will expect the new coach will be a professional one and he will maintain the slope of the progress graph of recent years.

Looking at our upcoming FTP, Whatmore or Whatever, the slope of the progress graph will be going down, i.e. assuming we are talking of statistics.

But yea, I too agree with you, while I want DW to continue, I don't mind another coach cos it has been a while and a new professional coach can really help cos DW achieved the hardest part, creating the core team.

L-)Having said all that, I might take an about turn and start মিছিল মিটিং to get rid of DW after I see the WC matches.:timeout:

cricket_pagol
March 3, 2007, 02:45 AM
The reality is if BD does well in World cup, BCB will not replace Whatmore but if Bangladesh performs ordinarily then he might get replaced.

cricket_dorshok
March 3, 2007, 04:51 AM
richard mcinnes!

Sovik
March 3, 2007, 09:52 AM
Tom Moody

Tokyobreeze
March 4, 2007, 08:15 AM
Bob Ulmar.

layperson
March 4, 2007, 12:41 PM
I propose the name of "Shahriyar Rahman" as our next BD coach. He is just getting out of university and looking for a job. What better place to work than with cricketers for a sport that he loves so much and for the pride of the country. I promise he will be the best coach Bd ever had so far. Anyone willing to pass this on to the BCB? :-*:saint:

Miraz
March 4, 2007, 12:44 PM
I propose the name of "Shahriyar Rahman" as our next BD coach. He is just getting out of university and looking for a job. What better place to work than with cricketers for a sport that he loves so much and for the pride of the country. I promise he will be the best coach Bd ever had so far. Anyone willing to pass this on to the BCB? :-*:saint:

I can pass it with one condition. :)

You have to forget about the spelling check of your name.

Spelling mistakes will be so obvious that you will be always busy with that forgetting our boys. :D

layperson
March 4, 2007, 12:47 PM
I can pass it with one condition. :)

You have to forget about the spelling check of your name.

Spelling mistakes will be so obvious that you will be always busy with that forgetting our boys. :D

Hahaha ... Miraz bhai if they pay me as much as they are paying Whatmore you can spell my name anyway you want. :-D

Miraz
March 4, 2007, 01:26 PM
Hahaha ... Miraz bhai if they pay me as much as they are paying Whatmore you can spell my name anyway you want. :-D

In that case, I am informing them. Shariar :)

layperson
March 4, 2007, 01:52 PM
In that case, I am informing them. Shariar :)

Ouch it started already. I thought you would wait till I got the job. :)

pseudo_deshi
March 4, 2007, 02:45 PM
What sort of package is Whatmore on?

layperson
March 4, 2007, 02:50 PM
What sort of package is Whatmore on?

Off the top of my head If I can remember correctly his monthly salary is Tk.690000. IN addition to this he gets other benefits as well. The monthly amount is his cash salary.

thebest
March 5, 2007, 03:38 AM
people has high esteem for Richard McInness (RM). Sometime I feel that board members considered him as the messiah for Bangladesh cricket. No doubt RM is a good coach, but is he as good as we believe. There is no comperative data hence I can not compare.
Lets check other fact. RM is widely credited with unearthing so many gems. That include Aftab, Nafees (both), enamul, Sakib. But if I put Billah bhai's logic (see the other thread on DW), this is simply a result of widening the net for finding out the talent. I did not buy that logic before and I am not going to sell it. I do agree he polished these gems. But after four years since RM how many of them is established firmly in the team in both form. The number 0. the one dropped by him (SN) is the only one who is established in both team. He dropped a gem and went for a glass in U19 held in Bangladesh. Does any body knows where u19 captain Ashiq is playing? AFAIK , he is pursuing other career. I might be wrong. And what is his performance in the u19. We failed to qualify in the real tournament. He is good coach might be a myth in making.
in the DW thread, DW was accused to indifferent to media. Is RM different? No. He is in the same league even worse. DW was accused to be indifferent by media but RM was accused by media to run his own agenda and hostile to media. I wish I could find the interview he gave after he dropped SN for U19, made Ashiq captain and SN made century againest Indian u19. So he is not media friendly as we wish to believe. Any way, the coach do not have to be winner of media friendly contest. But he have to be diplomatic which I think he is not.
As the thread question is who is after DW, I want the Jenner guy who was South African coach before Micky Arthur. No high profile like John wright, Fletcher, Moody, Woolmer. All of these guys has one thing common. They operate from behind, leaving the driving seat to captain. If you have tough task master as captain they would succeed (Fletcher as example; succesful when Naseer Hussain or Vaughn captain; failed when Flinthoff was captain). We need a tough task master as coach as HB is too nice. There is no better guy then Jenner. SA players revolted because he was going on their skin.

zakirc
March 5, 2007, 03:44 AM
Off the top of my head If I can remember correctly his monthly salary is Tk.690000. IN addition to this he gets other benefits as well. The monthly amount is his cash salary.

Is US$ 100,000 (Per annum) too high salary for an international cricket team coach? One with Dav's credentials?

Imteaz
March 5, 2007, 07:14 AM
Bob Woolmer or John Wright (From Newzealand and Ex Coach of India).

TheWatcher
March 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
Geoff Marsh may be another name to consider. He has an excellent record as the coach of Australia team (1996-2000). Zimbabwe also had relatively done well under his guidance (2001-2004) untill political problems destroyed the team.

layperson
March 5, 2007, 01:43 PM
Is US$ 100,000 (Per annum) too high salary for an international cricket team coach? One with Dav's credentials?

I did not complain about the salary of Whatmore. I joked that if offered the same amount I would be willing to take the job and provide Miraz bhai and others to mis spell my mame at will. I think you might have misunderstood.

If I were to answer your question then I would say that the salary is a pretty good one for someone of Whatmore's stature. A person who earns USD 100000 in US or even in Canada has expenditure as well. Depending on your lifestyle you might have to spend majority of your income on expenses. However in bangladesh's context Tk 690000 is a lot of money every month. You can lead a more than luxurious life spending 3 lakh taka every month. All the rest is savings every month. However for whatmore his accomodation and transport are paid for by the BCB as far as I know, hence the major expenses are not incurred from his pocket. I think his earning is perfectly relevant to his credentials.

TheWatcher
March 7, 2007, 05:08 PM
Can I suggest another candidate ? Peter Moores, ECB Academy head coach. From his interview at TC, he seems to have a very positive mindset; he has extensive experience working with youngsters; most importantly, he is already tipped to be the next coach of England team. If England somehow don't offer him the national team job after WC, we can try to tempt him to coach us.