PDA

View Full Version : What a sledge ... SN has the mouth to go with the bat :)

RazabQ
March 3, 2007, 02:16 PM
Guys check out the The Age (Australia)'s profile of Shahriar Nafees. One of my favorite nuggets from the article (asides from learning his dad's a freedom fighter - why do our newspapers never mention that):When Matthew Hayden sledged him for taking a long time to get off the mark in the next Test, Nafees was quick to fire back. "I just said, look mate, I don't care if I scored a zero or not. I am playing in the one-dayers and you're not," he said.Ha ha haa ... talking about a low blow - if you recall at that time Matty had just been sacked from the ODI squad for non-peformance :) :)

The rest of the article, including his story of [বাংলা]ইয়ে করে বিয়ে[/বাংলা] available at:http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/nafees-strikes-confident-note/2007/03/02/1172338883275.html

Also we should give credit to Cricinfo for unearthing it and putting it their Blog - The Surfer

billah
March 3, 2007, 02:32 PM
Razaaaaaaaaab: Great find. Thanks !
:)

AsifTheManRahman
March 3, 2007, 02:33 PM
finally a bangladeshi player with some wit :) quoting razab, "what a low blow"! haha

Miraz
March 3, 2007, 02:45 PM
A good read. SN always showed maturity in his words.

BTW, who is Nabila Ahmed? an NRB journalist or sent report from Bangladesh?

Any idea?

Navarene
March 3, 2007, 02:52 PM
Wow! Nafees is the man! What a mind blowing agitated answer to Hyden L-)

Our Habibul would end up mumbling with an itchy smile on his face if the same sledge was shooted to him. This is the roar and fire we miss in Hablu! Watch out guys..our future captain is right on track!

Murad
March 3, 2007, 02:54 PM
nice article.... hes the man.

Hatebreed
March 3, 2007, 02:55 PM
LOL that was a good response.

Kabir
March 3, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hahaha. SN's the man. Just compare that with what happened b/w a Pakistani player (forgot his name) against SA's Nel. When Nel said to this Pakistani player "Tough luck" making fun of his scoring rate, the Pakistani player said "Thank you :)" [that's not my smile, that's the Pakistani play'ers smile]. :floor:

cricket_pagol
March 3, 2007, 03:19 PM
I did not know this...

When his strict family opposed his budding relationship with a childhood friend, partly because of fears it might distract from his cricket, he eloped and enlisted the help of his mentor and captain, Habibul Bashar, to talk his dad around. <jl></jl>
"I told them I love her and wanted their support, but they weren't giving it. I was confident because I knew what I was doing was right. I wasn't doing anything wrong or criminal. I know that if I want to do something good I have to be tough and courageous and I did it."

layperson
March 3, 2007, 03:32 PM
Interesting article. Dint know he eloped to get married. He seems like a rebellious kid. He would make a very good captain.

al Furqaan
March 3, 2007, 03:35 PM
great!!!

Farhad
March 3, 2007, 03:40 PM
Pretty sharp reply...Hope it came off loud and clear on the stumps microphone XD

sadi
March 3, 2007, 05:26 PM
Great read.

Miraz
March 3, 2007, 05:49 PM

Any idea?

Found the answer :)

She is a Bangladeshi Australian and working for the Age as a cricket journalist.

Currently visiting Caribbean to cover world cup.

Kabir
March 3, 2007, 06:13 PM
Found the answer :)

She is a Bangladeshi Australian and working for the Age as a cricket journalist.

Currently visiting Caribbean to cover world cup.

If you can find her contact, we could send her an invitation to become a BC member. It's a great opportunity for BC I would think.

Kabir
March 3, 2007, 06:18 PM
Some more info. Source: theage.com (http://about.theage.com.au/view_profile.asp?intid=620)

Here's the superstar:
http://about.theage.com.au/userimages/Nabila_Ahmed.jpg
In June 2006, after covering Australia's inaugural cricket tour of Bangladesh, Nabila Ahmed moved to the Business section of The Age. She currently reports on biotechnology and healthcare for the business pages. Her previous role was as cricket writer at The Age, where she also covered AFL football, netball, tennis and gymnastics. From the 2005 Ashes series in England, the 2003 cricket World Cup and domestic and international cricket at home in Australia, to Australian Open tennis, Wimbledon and the 2005 Gymnastics World Championships, Nabila wrote about many major sporting events in her five years reporting for The Age's sports section. She also covered artistic gymnastics and athletics at the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games. Nabila also has experience in covering general news, which included the 2005 London bombings.

Lidcombe
March 4, 2007, 08:58 AM
If you can find her contact, we could send her an invitation to become a BC member. It's a great opportunity for BC I would think.

i think it should be nahmed@theage.com.au ...

bcoz the corporate email account generally starts with the initial of firstname followed by the surname. so hopefully tht correct:p

if u follow the link u shud find out more easily y im saying that..

http://about.theage.com.au/keycontacts.asp

for example::

Nigel Henham
Communications Director
Phone: 03 9601 2997
Email: nhenham@theage.com.au

Mod's pls contact with her ASAP, she can b a great catch for us:callme:

Kabir
March 4, 2007, 11:14 AM
Does anyone want to take a shot at it? I just want one of us to send her an invitation, without making it sound like a spam.

Aritro
March 4, 2007, 11:25 AM

Any idea?

Nabila Ahmed has been working for The Age in Melbourne for around a decade or so.

Aritro
March 4, 2007, 11:26 AM
Does anyone want to take a shot at it? I just want one of us to send her an invitation, without making it sound like a spam.

Yep, I've just sent her an email.

jabbar
March 4, 2007, 07:24 PM

Any idea?

Nabila Ahmed is a bangladeshi born australian who lives in Melbourne (last time I heard). As a melbournian myself, I know her and her family. She is an OK journalist. Good to have a bangaldeshi in the printed media who can write positively about BD cricket whenever the opportunity arises. Generally speaking, however, Australia is quite supportive of BD cricket any how, so having Nabila is a bonus I suppose.

gatekeeper
March 5, 2007, 12:22 AM
Good for him. More of our players need to show this kind of mental toughness and not just clam up when sledged by superstars.

Kabir
March 5, 2007, 12:27 AM
Yep, I've just sent her an email.

Thanks boss. Let us know what when/if she gets back.

AsifTheManRahman
March 5, 2007, 02:08 AM
Good for him. More of our players need to show this kind of mental toughness and not just clam up when sledged by superstars.

well the problem is that even if they have the mental toughness, they lack one important ingredient required for getting back at opponents/producing quality low-blows, and that is language skill. most of them are of the "tough luck, thank you" type.

then again, it doesn't really matter what language you speak as long as you speak any one well.

gatekeeper
March 5, 2007, 09:43 AM
well the problem is that even if they have the mental toughness, they lack one important ingredient required for getting back at opponents/producing quality low-blows, and that is language skill. most of them are of the "tough luck, thank you" type.

then again, it doesn't really matter what language you speak as long as you speak any one well.

It doesn't always have to be witty or even in English. Jest can be expressed many ways, body language is often more effective.

Mahir
March 5, 2007, 09:11 PM
why's everyone after Nabila Ahmed like that when we're talking about Nafees and his "low blow" on Haydo!

cricman
March 5, 2007, 09:15 PM
I'd find it funnier if they gave a reply in Bengali.

capslock
March 5, 2007, 09:28 PM
why's everyone after Nabila Ahmed like that when we're talking about Nafees and his "low blow" on Haydo!

Because most of the guys here have never spoken to a girl before...

Just kidding boys ;)

Kabir
March 5, 2007, 09:51 PM
It doesn't always have to be witty or even in English. Jest can be expressed many ways, body language is often more effective.

The keyword here is "often". The players can make themselves look like a complete idiot if they act like Sreesanth (how he responded to Nel's sledging) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGJYwz5Ovlc).

gatekeeper
March 6, 2007, 12:53 AM
The keyword here is "often". The players can make themselves look like a complete idiot if they act like Sreesanth (how he responded to Nel's sledging) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGJYwz5Ovlc).

Bit over the top, no doubt but it served its purpose. I'm sure a lot of Saouth African were totally pissed at him. I know I would be.