PDA

View Full Version : Posting etiquettes prior to World Cup

oracle
March 6, 2007, 08:49 PM
You have probably seen one of my ancient and laborious posts concerning posting threads before. And here is another.
Short summary- "STICK to CRICKET in our WC match threads"

The world Cup has commenced. It is a great time for all fans of cricket all over the world and especially for such an avid Bangladesh fan as me. Believe me when when I say this, there is no emotion that I have not experienced when it comes to the trials and numerous troubles this BD team has served for us. For many bangladeshis, in the pre test days meant having to support a fellow team from the subcontinent. And I have been down that road, perhaps it was Pakistan, India or Sri Lanka. But now we have our own team! The feeling is inexplicable .

I feel privileged and proud to see Banglacricket roaring with full flight as we enter another World Cup. This is our moment to show our integrity, honour and respect in front of world audiences. It won't be difficult as we already have gained friends and admiration from all over the world because of the demonstrated passion and love we have for this game.

So let's do our small part for this game and pledge to avoid all discussions of politics, religion and race from our match threads. For cricket is cricket and politics with all its bagage belongs somewhere else.:wave:

Will welcome here any other suggestions to improve the forum.

Spitfire_x86
March 6, 2007, 08:55 PM
:up:

cricket_pagol
March 6, 2007, 09:02 PM
So let's do our small part for this game and pledge to avoid all discussions of politics, religion and race from our match threads. For cricket is cricket and politics with all its bagage belongs somewhere else.:wave:

Well said, oracle bhai

Farhad
March 6, 2007, 09:15 PM
Well said...

shovon13
March 6, 2007, 09:34 PM
huh? so whats the big problem with a side discussion going on while we are following a match? its constructive, informative, and healthy for earth. usually when we are watching bangladesh play, we rarely have the time to talk about something else anyways. once in a while somebody brings up something interesting but off topic, and we talk about that for a couple of pages. i love that! i enjoy that! i feel really really sorry for you if you dont. i hardly see the need of this decree.

oracle
March 6, 2007, 09:49 PM
I like to add that this is'nt a decree. Unfortunately, I am posting this because I actually received a lot of PM about such posts in match threads ( right now and from past). From experience in this board, I can say that match threads are a relaxed affair where actually you can post freely with side discussions as mentioned.
However, a well meaning discussion that goes and strays a bit into politics, nationality etc.can turn ugly in minutes because of a few bad posts. It ruins the thread and moreover it ruins our image. It is that aspect which is not really fun. If there are suggestions or ways to help us to keep balance then I would like to hear. Thanks.<!-- / message -->

ammark
March 6, 2007, 09:52 PM
huh? so whats the big problem with a side discussion going on while we are following a match? its constructive, informative, and healthy for earth. usually when we are watching bangladesh play, we rarely have the time to talk about something else anyways. once in a while somebody brings up something interesting but off topic, and we talk about that for a couple of pages. i love that! i enjoy that! i feel really really sorry for you if you dont. i hardly see the need of this decree.

Thats why we have Forget Cricket section, for non cricket talk

I would like to suggest to members not to write inflammatory remarks and attacking other thread posters personally over differences of opinion in match threads and other cricket threads. I believe in what Oracle bhai said: "Stick to cricket". We should keep bc forums fully inclusive and healthy like it has been for the past 2 years that I've been privileged to participate in.

RazabQ
March 6, 2007, 10:01 PM
It's all about moderation guys. Want to bash the Indian board or the ICC or smug Indian or Aussie players adopting a big brotherly atitude - go fer it. But don't make ad-hominem attacks on the whole country and it's people. You want to thank your all-mighty for a great win or curse at him for poor fortune - sure. Don't insist others HAVE to do the same.

It's like life really - extremes never make for a pleasant one.

shovon13
March 6, 2007, 10:11 PM
However, a well meaning discussion that goes and strays a bit into politics, nationality etc.can turn ugly in minutes because of a few bad posts. It ruins the thread and moreover it ruins our image. It is that aspect which is not really fun. If there are suggestions or ways to help us to keep balance then I would like to hear. Thanks.<!-- / message -->

agreed. well, as long as i dont get banned for the first off-topic post in a match thread, i'm okay with this. i understand from yours and razab's post that this measure is taken mainly because of some hot headed remarks.

ammark...sadly i'm not as organized as you are.

layperson
March 6, 2007, 10:28 PM
It's all about moderation guys. Want to bash the Indian board or the ICC or smug Indian or Aussie players adopting a big brotherly atitude - go fer it. But don't make ad-hominem attacks on the whole country and it's people. You want to thank your all-mighty for a great win or curse at him for poor fortune - sure. Don't insist others HAVE to do the same.

It's like life really - extremes never make for a pleasant one.

My sentiments exactly. Your posts always had an intelllectual touch to them and now I am beginning to like them because they are along the lines of my sentiments. :up:

billah
March 6, 2007, 10:39 PM
You can take the tree-huggin', sappy, liberal demi-crap out of berkeley, can't beat berkley out of the tree-huggin, sappy, liberal demi-crap...can ya' ?

Just kiddin.. Razaaaaaaaaab.

shovon13
March 6, 2007, 10:55 PM
hahaha

RazabQ
March 7, 2007, 12:25 AM
Billah - the irony is that I'm considered quite the conservative amongst my bizarrekely friends - what with my stance against, oh I don't know, legalization of incest, or late-term abortion, or SF's ridiculous amenities for the homeless. Damn, why do I get the feeling that years from now, someone will dig up this thread and use it to pain me as some sort of bigot :)

From a personal point of view I like to think I'm label-unfriendly :)

Shahriyar, I was thinking the same too - that you and I seem to espouse similar philosophies in life.

Tehsin
March 7, 2007, 12:33 AM
Razab, why wait for years from now. I'm sure we can find a few folks now who'd paint you bigot to the max.

Had no idea they are trying to legalize incest (unless you wree joking about that), things like that kinda makes you wonder if people are equipped and responsible enough to handle democracy.

Arnab
March 7, 2007, 12:56 AM
Shahriyar, I was thinking the same too - that you and I seem to espouse similar philosophies in life.

Damn! Get a room you two.

AsifTheManRahman
March 7, 2007, 01:00 AM

Relax. He's probably just asking him out, no more than that.

RazabQ
March 7, 2007, 02:27 AM
Relax. He's probably just asking him out, no more than that.Arnab's just jealous ... He knows he can't have Roger Federer; meanwhile ppl around him listen to putuput love songs and making happy :) OK we should stop this ... this thread is fast losing relevance :)

RazabQ
March 7, 2007, 02:36 AM
Had no idea they are trying to legalize incest (unless you wree joking about that)http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6424937.stm

Of note the following passage:Dr Wilhelm said a ruling was expected in the next few months.

"We've already heard that the vice-president of the Constitutional Court said that there will be a 'fundamental discussion' about this issue in Germany," said Dr Wilhelm.

"Many criminal law experts say that we are right and I'm confident that my clients will win their case. The law against incest is based on very old moral principles. The law was abolished in France, it's about time it should be scrapped here in Germany as well."

Arnab
March 7, 2007, 03:23 AM
Arnab's just jealous ... He knows he can't have Roger Federer

...or Maradona, or Pele, or Zidane, or Jordan, or Schumacher, or Kasparov, or most of my sporting idols. Sheesh. :)

layperson
March 7, 2007, 03:44 AM

Relax. He's probably just asking him out, no more than that.

What a twisted way of looking at things :P... chi chi asif tumio :o

PoorFan
March 7, 2007, 04:11 AM
<!--StartFragment -->All the hard effort of Oracle ends up in a hotel room?!chi chi chi ...

Rubu
March 7, 2007, 08:44 AM
Question for Oracle: does bashing S Rajesh falls in this category? He is our favorite punch bag now, and it will be taking out a lot of fun ..............

oracle
March 7, 2007, 10:50 AM
does bashing S Rajesh falls in this category?

Along with perhaps 99.9 % percent of the forum, I have nothing against bashing biased journalism, especially if it is going against the tigers. hehe..:)

akabir77
March 7, 2007, 11:10 AM
one thing i want to mention from yesterday match thread is that NZ guys asked some questions and people tried to explain that. and also we were getting updates every 30 min so people started getting board. I can assure you that if there was ball to ball update or something, this thingx doesn't get space in the match thread anyway...

RazabQ
March 7, 2007, 11:11 AM
Rubu - bash the person's messages, not him. I think I and some others have spent more energy on the guy's assumptions and such then, say, his physical appearance. For the life of me I don't understand why bashing how the guy looks helps with dissing his lame attempts at scholarly pieces. But I guess ppl had to vent :)

pagol-chagol
March 7, 2007, 11:25 AM
In yesterdays game, this guy from New Zealand came to the game thread and he learnt a little bit about Bangladesh in there. There is nothing wrong with a little chit chat about different things in game threads. If you meet a guy from New Zealand at the stadium, would you talk only about the game? Lets just keep all communication open. Most of us are adults here.

pagol-chagol
March 7, 2007, 11:26 AM
one thing i want to mention from yesterday match thread is that NZ guys asked some questions and people tried to explain that. and also we were getting updates every 30 min so people started getting board. I can assure you that if there was ball to ball update or something, this thingx doesn't get space in the match thread anyway...

Yes. I thought it was mean. People need to open their minds and not think their way is the only way.

Tigers_eye
March 7, 2007, 11:46 AM
...Most of us are adults here.
I'd like to correct this statement.

adult pagols.

Game time blood flows a little fast. We breathe a little heavier. When the ball-by-ball update is available off-topic discussion will not go on. If there is, then everyone will shoot him/her down.

al Furqaan
March 7, 2007, 11:48 AM
Rubu - bash the person's messages, not him. I think I and some others have spent more energy on the guy's assumptions and such then, say, his physical appearance. For the life of me I don't understand why bashing how the guy looks helps with dissing his lame attempts at scholarly pieces. But I guess ppl had to vent :)

ahh...i agree...i like to call the cockroach out on his intellectual and scholarly shortcomings rather than his physical attributes...hell the guy prolly looks like me!!!

if we beat india, i will be starting a thread posting and copying all the ridiculous arrogance that many Eendians have...along with my personal responses. BC members (an others) are free to join in and opine away.

sensible
March 7, 2007, 12:01 PM
One more issue should be noticed.....in crunch times, we become religious and call for help from Allah, khoda, god, kali...what not....I guess we should keep in mind that when someone says to thank allah, it's not the muslim allah alone...you can take that for who ever you pray to.....if you don't, that's also fine.....yesterday, we had that hot exchange regarding thanking allah and all....I think we all should take these things mildly.......after all, all we want is for the tigers to win.....the end result, not the means is important!

al Furqaan
March 13, 2007, 09:33 PM
One more issue should be noticed.....in crunch times, we become religious and call for help from Allah, khoda, god, kali...what not....I guess we should keep in mind that when someone says to thank allah, it's not the muslim allah alone...you can take that for who ever you pray to.....if you don't, that's also fine.....yesterday, we had that hot exchange regarding thanking allah and all....I think we all should take these things mildly.......after all, all we want is for the tigers to win.....the end result, not the means is important!

i have a hard time asking allah for tiger successes...it just seems wrong to me...i'm not saying anything about it being haram or halaal.

i did once pray for BD team during asia cup 2004...that was it.

however, if I was a player, then yes i would be praying night and day come the week of the WC (i.e right now)...