PDA

View Full Version : Loss to Bangladesh a cunning plan?

reverse_swing
March 7, 2007, 04:13 PM
The Black Caps skipper Stephen Fleming had a novel take on yesterday's shock two wicket loss to Bangladesh in the lead up to the world cup.
The two wicket loss has brought to a grinding halt the team's momentum from their 3-nil Chappell-Hadlee series win over Australia.
But Fleming suggests the loss is part of a cunning plan -- to shake off any suggestion of favouritism by losing early to one of the so-called minnows rather than latter when it really matters.
New Zealand's final leadup game is against Sri Lanka tomorrow night.

Source >> Radio New Zealand (http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/sport/200703080807/loss_to_bangladesh_a_cunning_plan)

TheWatcher
March 7, 2007, 04:14 PM
Loser talk :)

abdulw11
March 7, 2007, 04:21 PM
Pure BS.

akabir77
March 7, 2007, 04:30 PM
I think they said the same thing when after being unbeaten in one of the wc group matches they lost to Pakistan. they were saying they lost intensionally so that they can play the semis in NZ but we all know what happen... they lost to pakistan again in semis too... so if this is there plan they might be out of wc in 1st round again...

Tigers_eye
March 7, 2007, 04:32 PM
My cunning plan for the 17th.
Got $50 worth of fire crackers. Have two neighbors who are hmmm!! (Indians). If I am not at funasia then you should be able to imagine what would I be doing after the match.

Farhad
March 7, 2007, 05:40 PM
Flemings starting to dissapoint me.....

Farhad
March 7, 2007, 05:42 PM
Its funny how it says "Fleming offers no excuses" right below that headline....:p

BappyHayat
March 7, 2007, 07:09 PM
I thought Kiwis are better than their Neighbours (to give better excuses)

Unfortunately they are not!!

Thumbs Down for Kiwis - they dont know how to appreciate

Bad for them & good for us

capslock
March 7, 2007, 07:12 PM
I think Fleming was obviously making that comment in jest, most reports said he was smiling when he made that comment.

Zobair
March 7, 2007, 08:34 PM
it was a "tongue-in-cheek" comment.

JamesBond
March 7, 2007, 08:35 PM
The Black Caps skipper Stephen Fleming had a novel take on yesterday's shock two wicket loss to Bangladesh in the lead up to the world cup.
The two wicket loss has brought to a grinding halt the team's momentum from their 3-nil Chappell-Hadlee series win over Australia.
But Fleming suggests the loss is part of a cunning plan -- to shake off any suggestion of favouritism by losing early to one of the so-called minnows rather than latter when it really matters.

Source >> Radio New Zealand (http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/sport/200703080807/loss_to_bangladesh_a_cunning_plan)

He needs to get a better excuse!! as someone said earlier " LOSER TALK"... get a life Fleming..

Farhad
March 7, 2007, 09:11 PM
I think Fleming was obviously making that comment in jest, most reports said he was smiling when he made that comment.

You know what? I think youre right.....It doesnt seem at all like Fleming. Come to think of it...It doesnt seem at all like anything a professional cricketer would say (seriously). Nobody's stupid enough to believe that other ppl will believe that they lost on purpose...I mean, thats what you do when youre 5 years old, and your baby sister just beat you at table tennis (speaking from experience). Where did you read the other reports that said he was smiling? I'd love to see them. Match reports are the best part about defeating stronger sides for me :p

kalpurush
March 7, 2007, 10:21 PM
I myself have no comments...as Mr. Fleming is my new spokeperson!?;) :D

"It was a poor performance," admitted Stephen Fleming, the New Zealand captain. "It was a day when nothing went right. We batted poorly at the beginning and did not assess conditions that well. Then we bowled tentatively at the start. We kept clinging on in the field - but we just couldn't shake them.
"It was a great performance from them, and it gives us some problems going forward." Bangladesh face Scotland on Thursday while New Zealand tackle Sri Lanka the following day.
© Cricinfo

ialbd
March 7, 2007, 10:34 PM
yea this sounds so 'not-flemming' like. its just the media I guess...

Kabir
March 7, 2007, 10:54 PM
If it's Fleming, then here's my reaction: :yawn:
If not, then here's my reaction: :floor:

Spitfire_x86
March 8, 2007, 12:15 AM
That article doesn't contain any direct quote from Fleming. If you want to know exactly what he said, go to Cricinfo or BBC.
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/284289.html
Despite the painful two-wicket defeat, which was sealed by Mashrafe Mortaza's two sixes off James Franklin, Fleming refused to offer any excuses. "There's not a lot we can say, I guess it's a result that just shakes you up," Fleming told Reuters. "We just didn't play well. It gives us some headaches and I suppose you can say it's a wake-up call before the tournament starts.

"Nothing went right. We batted poorly at the beginning and did not assess conditions that well. We knew it was going to be tricky at the start and we fell flat on our faces. We were always there in the game. We fought back after a poor start and if we had reached 250, we would have won the game. But they fielded brilliantly, they just kept coming at us. We just couldn't shake them."

The link in the original post contains a journalist's interpretation of Fleming's comments. Nothing else.

TheWatcher
March 8, 2007, 01:02 AM
Here is the exact quote of the nonsense comments that Fleming made, from BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/6425711.stm) -

"At least this wasn't a pool match," said Fleming. "It puts the pressure back on us but, if anything, we are better under pressure.

"What we've done, quite cleverly, is got rid of the expectation and put the pressure back on ourselves." <!-- E SF -->

gatekeeper
March 8, 2007, 01:09 AM
But Fleming suggests the loss is part of a cunning plan -- to shake off any suggestion of favouritism by losing early to one of the so-called minnows rather than latter when it really matters.[/color][/b]

Give me [ ] break.

mhj007
March 8, 2007, 04:28 AM
:floor: :lol: :D ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....hi hi hi hi hi hi...chhi chhi chhi!
Junior

nzfan
March 8, 2007, 04:33 AM
i am so disappointed in my captain:(

[]is he saying that for

Baundule
March 8, 2007, 04:48 AM
he he.
When they win, we are minnows (man, I hate this racial word!)
When they lose, it's because of their own plan!
Airy talkers!

PoorFan
March 8, 2007, 06:01 AM
First I thought it was made up by radio NZ, now it's looks like Fleming did made that comment by himself! Was it just a irony joke to media? Otherwise he must be pure loser! I cant believe it.

zakirc
March 8, 2007, 06:10 AM
That does not go with Flemming ... I am confident the journalist twisted something somewhere to make a story out of it. Most probably Flemming was joking.

Rabz
March 8, 2007, 06:56 AM
Its called
-damage control
-memoirs of a loser
-lost in translation
-saving fleming's private
-double trouble
-gone with the wind(mashree's 6 blow them away)

but honestly my dear...

i dont give a damn..(to what he says)

Miraz
March 8, 2007, 07:00 AM

India's loss to Bangladesh will be a more cunning plan. :lol:

Hasib
March 8, 2007, 10:55 AM
meh typical journalists.... if this was a cunning plan they won't be telling us that would they? it would have meant to be a secret...

Tigers_eye
March 8, 2007, 11:20 AM
Guys, its not flemming!! it is the writer who is playing a joke on flemming and you. How hard it is to get it?

Hatebreed
March 8, 2007, 11:56 AM
I don't believe Flemming said or even implied that. If he did, it's really sad and pathetic.

Protic
March 8, 2007, 12:05 PM
LOL , as if we care? We won.

AsifTheManRahman
March 8, 2007, 12:08 PM
it's not flemming, duh. it's the author of the piece that's making the comment, in jest. people, people :)

chinaman
March 8, 2007, 12:29 PM
Actually it was a sublime excecution of a brilliant plan from Bangladesh to win in style.

Orpheus
March 8, 2007, 01:02 PM
Actually it was a sublime excecution of a brilliant plan from Bangladesh to win in style.
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Farhad
March 12, 2007, 07:23 PM
Flemings latest remarks:

Fleming: 'Bangladesh loss helped us'

Stephen Fleming said New Zealand's task of remaining in form for six weeks would be a challenge but the length of the World Cup meant no side would go through undefeated. Bangladesh upset New Zealand in their opening warm-up game but Fleming and Lou Vincent led the team to a good win over Sri Lanka three days later.

Fleming said following on from New Zealand's unprecedented 3-0 victory over Australia in the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy, the loss to Bangladesh served as a wake-up call. "What it does show is we can't afford to have a good week here and there - we have to be on song for two months and that's always been a challenge for this side," Fleming told NZPA.

"You have to come down a little bit to come back and the Bangladesh loss did that," Fleming said. "If we hadn't bounced back and beat Sri Lanka, who are close to favourites, I'd be concerned, but we did so I'm looking forward."

Fleming said the Super Eights format would mean it was even harder for a team to win the tournament without dropping a game than in 2003. However, in that World Cup, Australia won all of their 11 matches and this year, a side would also need to win 11 to have a perfect record.

"The winner here is going to lose games," Fleming said in The Age. "Form at the right time, winning key moments and key games will be crucial."

He said Australia's five straight losses leading up to the Caribbean proved there were "no clear favourites". "[The Chappell-Hadlee series] gave us the confidence that we needed," Fleming said. "We were doing a lot of things both on and off the field which were spot-on but the performances on weren't reflecting that."

New Zealand begin their World Cup campaign on Friday when they meet England in St Lucia. Peter Fulton, the batsman who broke his little finger in the warm-up game against Sri Lanka, was optimistic he could play on Friday if required.

amethyst
March 12, 2007, 09:33 PM
Its called
-damage control
-memoirs of a loser
-lost in translation
-saving fleming's private
-double trouble
-gone with the wind(mashree's 6 blow them away)

but honestly my dear...

i dont give a damn..(to what he says)

wow! :lol:

betaar
March 12, 2007, 11:37 PM
I think this is just out of context exageration of Fleming's statement.
If Flemming was so cunning then why would he expose that plan right before the tournament? How dumb is that or is it still part of his cunning plan?