PDA

View Full Version : Ponting targets Gavaskar over behaviour

AsifTheManRahman
March 11, 2007, 05:30 PM
Link (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/284838.html)

Gavaskar stirs the pot again - for no reason. IMO, actions speak louder than words, and nachte na janle uthan to baka hobei. If all you can manage is three wins out of your previous twelve tests, then maybe you have more problems at home to worry about than poke your nose into other people's business.

Gavaskar said this week Australia's recent losses to England and New Zealand had "gladdened the hearts" of the game's followers.
why? just because they sledge when they're out there and all that the subcontinent players can hit back with are mad dances down the pitch that look stupid and indecent?

Sovik
March 11, 2007, 05:39 PM
ooooooooh, i love these stuffs.

Murad
March 11, 2007, 06:38 PM
i loved what ponting said about gavaskar and indian team... they always talk about other teams like they are the best in the world..... they won only 3 Tests last year.. and won a few ODIs.. but talks like.. they are the king of cricket..

Bancan
March 11, 2007, 09:04 PM
good one

Tehsin
March 12, 2007, 12:22 AM
Gladdened the hearts of hte game's followers ? Ummmm, I;'m sorry but thanks to people like Gavasker and Indian journalists, I think a LOT more people are gladdened to see the Indian team lose.

It's funny how Gavasker ALWAYS opens his big mouth about foreign teams for NO real reason. I remember him struggling to hold onto his wickets against top class bowlers and scoring 10-15 runs off 100 balls. So, yes, he scored a lot of runs. Doesn;t mean, he gets to be a jerk about it. Plus, when India was going great guns with a strong lineup, wasn't it the selectors who decided to play god and mess with the team? What Indian cricket needs is to first and foremost - take a good hard look at the mirror. Their vanity of the management and journalists has caused the team a whole lot.

One thing to go after a team like Bangladesh who is still struggling to make a name for themselves, NO THANKS TO THE BIG BROTHERS by the way. Way to be brave against the minnows, I'm pretty sure that makes him feel like a feet taller. I'm glad Gavasker in his infinite wisdom decided to take on Australia, unlike us, Australia is not a minnow and have a track record that's more astonishing then the 'paper records' of the Indian team.

Thank you Ricky Ponting for putting the little man, errr, I mean the little master in his place. And, thank you for being a true gentlemen on most occasions when dealing with newer teams like Bangladesh. Something the little master has yet to muster.

maihu_don
March 12, 2007, 05:11 AM
....And, thank you for being a true gentlemen on most occasions when dealing with newer teams like Bangladesh......

:floor:

Imteaz
March 12, 2007, 10:43 AM
I Think Loosing Those Matches are Good For Australia. They Can Find Out Their Error.

Tigers_eye
March 12, 2007, 10:47 AM
I can't choose. Dislike Ponting, dislike Indian cricket attitude towards BD.

But my dislike towards ponting is a little heavier. he almost went physical on umpires. He should be the worst captain of Australia (attitude).

capslock
March 12, 2007, 12:37 PM
No sympathy for Gav here.

Sovik
March 13, 2007, 08:10 AM
gavaskar replied. i am enjoying these now. couldn't post the link. but its in cricinfo

AsifTheManRahman
March 13, 2007, 09:19 AM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/285037.html

now he's just talking out of his butt. he doesn't really need to teach anyone bar ethics, because that's not what's being discussed here. his example of david hookes is also in low taste, imo.

i just don't see why this guy would be bothered with australia's behaviour on the field when indian players themselves don't behave well (re: sreeshanth). if he's trying to create tension in the aussie dressing room in the hope of making things easier for india (i'm not sure how), then he's the one who's being a bad sportsman.

Terminator
March 13, 2007, 03:56 PM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/285037.html

now he's just talking out of his butt. he doesn't really need to teach anyone bar ethics, because that's not what's being discussed here. his example of david hookes is also in low taste, imo.

i just don't see why this guy would be bothered with australia's behaviour on the field when indian players themselves don't behave well (re: sreeshanth). if he's trying to create tension in the aussie dressing room in the hope of making things easier for india (i'm not sure how), then he's the one who's being a bad sportsman.

i guess you like your mothers and sisters abused hence the positive support for the aussies..
as for sreesant..youjust saw the dance i guess...didnt see andre nels antics through out the tournament..

and who can forget mcgrath vs ramnaresh sarvan incident..
when hit for 23 in two overs ..mcgrath asked him how did laras **** taste?

and ramu replied..why ask me..go n ask your wife..on which mcgrath created..a storm!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

guess it wouldnt be difficult though for for bd cricketers..most dont know english..l

Farhad
March 13, 2007, 08:50 PM
i guess you like your mothers and sisters abused hence the positive support for the aussies..
as for sreesant..youjust saw the dance i guess...didnt see andre nels antics through out the tournament..

and who can forget mcgrath vs ramnaresh sarvan incident..
when hit for 23 in two overs ..mcgrath asked him how did laras **** taste?

and ramu replied..why ask me..go n ask your wife..on which mcgrath created..a storm!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

guess it wouldnt be difficult though for for bd cricketers..most dont know english..l

lol....I find it funny how you guys come in here and shout your mouths off about stuff like "most dont know english" when your own posts (more often than not) are ridden with errors. Just so you know, its "throughout". But hey! Who cares, right? It doesnt matter if ppl can understand you (I clearly didnt) as long as you can use those emots all of you all seem to find so fascinating...I mean....One is enough!

AsifTheManRahman
March 13, 2007, 11:30 PM
i guess you like your mothers and sisters abused

now you're talking just like gavaskar

Terminator
March 14, 2007, 04:53 AM
now you're talking just like gavaskar

the point my dear friend is..that our cricketers go out to play cricket ..not get personally abused..and no i do not at all agree with the mental games ****..

if that was the case..let one of our hotheads bang his bat in mcgraths head..that too would be a mental blow...tomm some aussie chess player might start abusing when he loses a piece in a match (although they are not smart enough to play chess) so you would think the authorities would pardon him since hes trying to mentally rattle the opponent? ..a game should be played like a game..you cannot bring in abuse into it !! period!

gatekeeper
March 14, 2007, 06:26 AM
Sledging's nothing new, it went on in Gavasker's time as well, I don't see why he should meake an issue out of it all of a sudden.

That said, I don't know why a lot of you are so worked up about this. This is pretty normal. When you're at the top everyone else will try to gun you down by whatever means and sometimes that means will appear silly.

AsifTheManRahman
March 14, 2007, 11:28 AM
the point my dear friend is..that our cricketers go out to play cricket ..not get personally abused..and no i do not at all agree with the mental games ****..

if that was the case..let one of our hotheads bang his bat in mcgraths head..that too would be a mental blow...tomm some aussie chess player might start abusing when he loses a piece in a match (although they are not smart enough to play chess) so you would think the authorities would pardon him since hes trying to mentally rattle the opponent? ..a game should be played like a game..you cannot bring in abuse into it !! period!

all i'm saying is one shouldn't get judgemental when one has enough problems at home. also, as gatekeeper pointed out, sledging used to happen in gavaskar's time as well, and in fact subcontinent players are no fereshtas either. under these circumstances, it seems like gavaskar's unnecessarily trying to create tension.

the on-field personal attacks are all part of the game - they always have been. players shake hands after the game, and all is forgotten, or at least should be like anything else in life. there's no point in being a cry baby about it. mental toughness is a part of any sport.

by the way, hitting someone on the head is not just a mental blow - it's physical abuse. if that's how your arguments sway, then don't even bother arguing.

AsifTheManRahman
March 18, 2007, 12:57 PM
Munaf has to use his mouth to try and restrict a 17 year old masum baccha, and bhaji tugs at an opposition batsman's feet to try and prevent him from taking a run - what sayest thou now, o Great Gavaskar? choto mukhe boro kotha manay na, and beyadobiro ekta shima ase. go find a corner and hide in there.

sar2005
March 18, 2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah, where is the terminator now? I want to see his face.
Come on say something.

akabir77
March 18, 2007, 09:03 PM
both went to the hole saddam left for rent...:wave: :callme: :waiting: :D :onethephone: (just using some imo...)

immortal
March 19, 2007, 05:19 PM
I'm new to this site and it's interesting to see the opinions here - quite different from other asian cricket sites I have posted it. As an aussie I'm the first to admit that the teams sledging at times goes to far, but it's part of the modern game and I accept it as long as it's humurous and nor racist or just gratuitist insults. Gavaskar's comments seem to have come out of nowhere and were aimed to provoke, and using the name of a cricketer who died in tragic circumstances was innapropriate. All aussies are ashamed of comments like Lehmanns a few years ago, but it's team has always played tough and they expect nothing less back.

I can't choose. Dislike Ponting, dislike Indian cricket attitude towards BD.

But my dislike towards ponting is a little heavier. he almost went physical on umpires. He should be the worst captain of Australia (attitude).

I agree Ponting has shot his mouth off in the past but seems to be improving this side of his personality. He is a flawed leader but has worked on his personal weaknesses over the years. Even his tactical captaincy is now respected after everyone was after his blood when they lost the ashes in 2005

Locutus
March 19, 2007, 11:49 PM
No disrespect, Gavaskar has a big mouth and a tiny brain. When he talks, he makes himself looks like a fool.

DJ Sahastra
March 20, 2007, 08:32 PM
I think most BCF fans have started to let their dislike of BCCI cloud their own perspective.

As much as i don't condone the remark about Hookes, everything else besides that Gavaskar said about the behaviour of the Aussie team was correct.

immortal
March 21, 2007, 05:11 AM
I think most BCF fans have started to let their dislike of BCCI cloud their own perspective.

As much as i don't condone the remark about Hookes, everything else besides that Gavaskar said about the behaviour of the Aussie team was correct.

You're entitled to your opinion and many fans from diffent cricketing nations share this view as I have discovered in forums. My argument is that apart from a few incidents the aussies play hard but fair both on and off the field and are generally respected by other cricketers. Also that sledging is now part of the game but aggression on the field is nothing new
Sir Garfield Sobers has just given his opinion on this matter

Some Sobering words for Gavaskar
By Jon Pierik and Robert Craddock
March 21, 2007

TEST legend Garfield Sobers last night delivered a veiled swipe at Sunil Gavaskar by claiming Australia had no reason to apologise for its on-field behaviour.
The provocative Indian former opener Gavaskar enraged the Australia players last week when he declared their conduct was unacceptable and, if they acted the way they did on the field in a bar after play, then they would probably be bashed.

Gavaskar went a step too far by linking the death of former cricketer David Hookes to the behaviour of Australian teams led by Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting.

Gavaskar admitted as much yesterday, saying his comments on Hookes were "uncalled for and inappropriate" but he did not back away from his claim the Australian team would be more admired if it curbed its behaviour in matches.

"On live television and radio, sometimes you respond on the spur of the moment with a remark that can cause hurt and pain to others," Gavaskar said.

"I realise and I accept that what I said was uncalled for and inappropriate."

Sobers, the former all-rounder who was selected as one of five Wisden cricketers of the 20th century, defended the Australians.

"Australia has always played cricket like the West Indians," Sobers said.

"I always enjoyed playing in Australia because the Australians are a team that tried to play the game attractive, tried to win - not at all costs - but tried to win.

"That is a great attitude to have. You learn when you play Australia, there is a toughness about the Australians."

...He understands why there is a far more ruthless edge to the game in the modern age, a style that Australia has embraced but which has opened it up to criticism by Gavaskar.

"The game changed tremendously in the 70s, and even before that," Sobers said.

"The West Indies played the game because they loved it, there was no kind of monetary funds really involved as far as that was concerned. It was sheer love and enjoyment and we went out there and played the game.

"Today is different. Today there is a lot of money involved in the game. Players are paid quite well and they are more professional than when we were playing. They used to call us in those days 'chamateurs' because we really didn't get paid to play cricket."

Sobers felt the pressures of the modern game also meant a more hardened attitude was required.

"The incentive in those days was travelling," he said.

"To travel and see places like Australia, New Zealand, England and Pakistan and those places you wouldn't have seen otherwise. So it was quite different. One could understand the different approach these days because there is a lot of responsibility.

"People expect so much more these days than they did then."

With AAP

Tigers_eye
March 21, 2007, 12:08 PM
Hello immortal,
I also have personal issues with Ponting. He replaced my hero so you know now why my feeling is so harsh on Ponting. I also feel the same way on Border. He protected his highest test runs as an aussie by sacking my man.

Gavaskar's approach wasn't right. he also thinks he knows the game better than everybody. Arrogance can be the downfall even if he is one of the greats.

immortal
March 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
Hello immortal,
I also have personal issues with Ponting. He replaced my hero so you know now why my feeling is so harsh on Ponting. I also feel the same way on Border. He protected his highest test runs as an aussie by sacking my man.

Gavaskar's approach wasn't right. he also thinks he knows the game better than everybody. Arrogance can be the downfall even if he is one of the greats.

Hey mate. Are you talking about steve waugh? What do you mean exactly about what Ponting did?