PDA

View Full Version : Mortaza keen to celebrate Bangladesh landmark

reverse_swing
March 13, 2007, 01:11 PM
Nigel Henderson
Bangladesh’s opening game in the World Cup will be their 150th one-day international and they could hope for no better way to celebrate than by overcoming India, one of two Asian rivals in group B — the other is Sri Lanka. It might seem a tough ask against a team they have beaten only once in 14 meetings — and that when Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar were rested at Dhaka in December 2004 — but a two-wicket victory over New Zealand in their first warm-up game for this tournament in Barbados should have done wonders for their self-belief.
This, remember, was a New Zealand team who had come off a 3-0 victory over Australia last month and are widely seen as a good outside bet to win the World Cup.
The chief architect of Bangladesh’s surprising win was Mushrafe Mortaza, who took the prize wickets of Lou Vincent and Ross Taylor on his way to figures of four for 44, ran out Brendon McCullum and then blasted two successive sixes off James Franklin to see them home with an over to spare.
Virender Sehwag, who has been struggling at the top of the India order in recent times, will have reason to remember Mortaza, the pace bowler removing him for a duck in that 15-run triumph in Dhaka.
<!--#include file="m63-article-related-attachements.html"--> Further motivation for the 200-1 outsiders is likely to come from the memory of their poor performance in the 2003 World Cup in South Africa, where they lost five of their group matches — the other one, against West Indies, was halted by rain when delicately poised.
That disappointment came as a blow to a team that had seemed to be making strides at the same competition, in England four years earlier, when their defeat of Pakistan in Northampton made the cricket world sit up and take notice.
Bangladesh have since, famously, gone on to defeat Australia in the NatWest triangular series that served as the prelude to the 2005 Ashes, but almost half of their 33 wins in limited-overs cricket have come against troubled Zimbabwe.
The African side have qualified for the Super Sixes in the past two tournaments, although in South Africa in 2003 it was the refusal of England to play them because of safety fears in the country that eased them through by default — but will struggle to reach the new format of the Super Eights this time. In 2006, their revamped team won only eight of 29 matches.
In a group that contains West Indies, Pakistan and Ireland, they will do well to escape with a single victory even if Sean Williams, the former under19 captain and left-handed batsman who has scored well in the warm-up games against Australia and Bermuda, retains his form.

Times >> (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/article1505460.ece)

billah
March 13, 2007, 02:51 PM
If I remember right, our 100th match was the victory over India, wasn't it?

Murad
March 13, 2007, 03:20 PM
It might seem a tough ask against a team they have beaten only once in 14 meetings — and that when Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar were rested at Dhaka in December 2004

we were so close to win in the first game of this series.. they won by only 11 runs.. and all the best batsmen were playing...

they made 245/8 and we made 234/8

only in the 3rd match we lost by 91 runs... and in tht match we also scored 257 runs....

oi series er moto jodi khele bd players ra.. taile indiake harteii hobe.. in the last series.. were so close to them... we're as good as them...

akabir77
March 13, 2007, 03:28 PM
we were so close to win in the first game of this series.. they won by only 11 runs.. and all the best batsmen were playing...

they made 245/8 and we made 234/8

only in the 3rd match we lost by 91 runs... and in tht match we also scored 257 runs....

oi series er moto jodi khele bd players ra.. taile indiake harteii hobe.. in the last series.. were so close to them... we're as good as them...

And i think in the 3rd match Mash didn't play...

billah
March 13, 2007, 03:35 PM
And i think in the 3rd match Mash didn't play...

Mash did, but he had to partner with Shanto for the new ball.

AsifTheManRahman
March 13, 2007, 03:42 PM
Mash did, but he had to partner with Shanto for the new ball.

ish, shanto ke shedin ki maartai na marsilo

Miraz
March 13, 2007, 04:18 PM
If I remember right, our 100th match was the victory over India, wasn't it?

Yes, it is.

Check todays BanglaCricket news (http://www.banglacricket.com/html/tour.php)

Tigers are keen to celebrate the land mark with the same result they obtained in their 100th one-day international against the same opposition in December 2004.

Protic
March 13, 2007, 05:50 PM
Akabir : Mash played..and he actually scored lots of quick runs..including 6s of sachin to take the score to 257..
Lets hope to celebreate our 150th match and Dav's birthday with a WIN over India!!

Murad
March 13, 2007, 06:51 PM
Mashrafe Mortaza st MS Dhoni b SR Tendulkar 39 12 20 3 3

thats the score he made on the 3rd match of that series... 39 off 20 balls

nayef
March 13, 2007, 07:18 PM
ish, shanto ke shedin ki maartai na marsilo

it was a shock to see him in the team to begin with! and he totally justified his selection :lol:

Kabir
March 13, 2007, 07:23 PM
Mashrafe Mortaza st MS Dhoni b SR Tendulkar 39 12 20 3 3

thats the score he made on the 3rd match of that series... 39 off 20 balls

Out of 3 sixes, I think 2 of them were from Tendulkar. And out of the 3 fours, I think 2 were from Tendulkar as well. And guess who took Mash's wicket in that match? Tendulkar! And Tendulkar is such a weirdo, he mocking Mash by saying goodbye to the pavillion...even after Mash thrashed him. Joker!

BanglaCool
March 13, 2007, 08:36 PM
Mash is always in his best with India.

BanglaCool
March 13, 2007, 08:37 PM
Out of 3 sixes, I think 2 of them were from Tendulkar. And out of the 3 fours, I think 2 were from Tendulkar as well. And guess who took Mash's wicket in that match? Tendulkar! And Tendulkar is such a weirdo, he mocking Mash by saying goodbye to the pavillion...even after Mash thrashed him. Joker!
Tendulkar was childishly mocking at Mash after he was out, because tendulkar was saved from further humiliation.

Kabir
March 13, 2007, 09:13 PM
Tendulkar was childishly mocking at Mash after he was out, because tendulkar was saved from further humiliation.

That's what I'm saying. After you prove your worth with the bat, what the bowler says after being thrashed has no meaning to it. All I know is, Tendulkar was simply acting like an idiot.