PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2007 Group B analysis thread

al Furqaan
March 15, 2007, 11:14 PM
since Group B has gotten underway today with the SL-Bermuda match, i think we should analyze all our chances of progressing to super 8 stage here.

1) It was important for Bermuda to bat first, and by losing the toss and bowling, i was dissappointed. in any tie break situation, the NRR problem will be huge. had bermuda batted first, sri lanka would have chased it inside 15 overs, and their net run rate would be lower, even if their margin of victory was greater than todays actual result. it is now imperitive that Bermuda win the toss against India and bat first, regardless of how many runs they score. of course we must bat first and post as big a score as possible against bermuda ourselves.

2) by only scoring 321, either SL's batsmen are in poor form (several players were given chances, yet no one scored a 100) or the wicket is a low scoring one. my guess is that this is a 240-260 wicket. the recent matches played here indicate that as well. so for us to score 240 may be a defendable score indeed.

3) murali was getting significant turn as early as in the 12th over. now i don't know if he is able to extract turn so early on an any wicket, or if this means that the wicket is a very spinner friendly track? can anyone enlighten me on this?

if this is a turning wicket, it will favor us more than India, as our spin-corps are better than india's. but india's batsmen are good against spin, and none of spinners really turn the ball well. so in the end final advantage is even.

thoughts?