PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh dedicates world cup mission to Manjarul Islam Rana

Miraz
March 16, 2007, 11:55 AM
World Cup 2007
Bangladesh dedicates world cup mission to Manjarul Islam Rana
16 March 2007
Bangladesh team received the news of sad demise of fellow Tiger "Manjural Islam Rana" at their team hotel at Port of Spain. The team was at a shock to hear the loss of a close friend who was very popular among his team mates.
In a team meeting they decided to dedicate their world cup mission to Manjural.
"If we do something good in this World Cup we will dedicate that to (Manjural) Rana," said skipper Habibul Bashar.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/images/read_art.gif Read the rest of the bulletin ยป (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/tour.php)

kalpurush
March 16, 2007, 11:59 AM
That's a great decision by the team management. Nothing but a win would honour Rana and rest his soul in peace.

Rubu
March 16, 2007, 12:13 PM
We need to do more than that. The thought that a great spirited cricketer's name like his would not be pronounced more frequently is just not acceptable.

We need to do something: one thing that comes onto mind is to rename Khulna divisional stadium on his name.

the current name is after Bir Shrestho Matiur Rahman. His name is something we will never forget and it won't hurt his fame if he has a stadium less by him name.

So, I think we should start a petition to rename the stadium after his name.

Does anyone has idea about how to start the petition? I saw some online petition as well. Does anyone know a good site to do that?

Miraz
March 16, 2007, 12:15 PM
IMO, it will be difficlut to change the name of KDS which is already after one of the brightest son of our soil 'Motiur'.

What about naming a gallery of 'Mirpur Stadium' after his name. In that way he will be remembered more, I believe.

Rubu
March 16, 2007, 12:21 PM
This is just a thought, if anyone can come up with a better idea that would be of course acceptable.

Instead of gallery, it can be 'an end'. so, during commentary, it can be said Manjarul Rana end rather than pavilion end.

Anyone else has any idea? we must do something of this sort.

capslock
March 16, 2007, 01:20 PM
I agree that we are all grief stricken now, but let's not go overboard, naming an entire stadium after someone is a very big deal, let's reserve things like that for the people who gave their lives during the liberation war, there are many of them, and they should take precedence. Naming a section of a stadium or the visitor's/home locker room after Rana would seem more appropriate.

sar2005
March 16, 2007, 01:29 PM
Dedicating mission WC to Rana will be meaningfull only when we can come up with some possitive results. Let's hope our team comes up with some great exibition of cricketing skill to show ultimate respect to this dedication.

Pundit
March 16, 2007, 01:34 PM
Man, I hope our cricketers do not choke of this much emotion!!

Rana & Setu...I hope you are at a better place. I really feel sad for Rana, especially. Often in my own life I have kept on finishing second, and that really hurts. He was always our best side-line player. Good at everything, but not super good for a specific position.

pagol-chagol
March 16, 2007, 01:45 PM
We need to do more than that. The thought that a great spirited cricketer's name like his would not be pronounced more frequently is just not acceptable.

We need to do something: one thing that comes onto mind is to rename Khulna divisional stadium on his name.

the current name is after Bir Shrestho Matiur Rahman. His name is something we will never forget and it won't hurt his fame if he has a stadium less by him name.

So, I think we should start a petition to rename the stadium after his name.

Does anyone has idea about how to start the petition? I saw some online petition as well. Does anyone know a good site to do that?

I am sad like a friend has died and close tears, but, you, my friend, has made me lough out loud. A cricket player over a "Bir Shreshto". I am not even counting how insulting that would be to the Bir Sreshtho family. I only hope you don't know what a "Bir Shrestho" is.

pagol-chagol
March 16, 2007, 01:46 PM
Man, I hope our cricketers do not choke of this much emotion!!

Rana & Setu...I hope you are at a better place. I really feel sad for Rana, especially. Often in my own life I have kept on finishing second, and that really hurts. He was always our best side-line player. Good at everything, but not super good for a specific position.

Its either going to elevate them a lot or finish them off. Either way, it won't be their normal game tomorrow.

shovon13
March 16, 2007, 02:15 PM
This is just a thought, if anyone can come up with a better idea that would be of course acceptable.

Instead of gallery, it can be 'an end'. so, during commentary, it can be said Manjarul Rana end rather than pavilion end.

i second that.

al Furqaan
March 16, 2007, 02:57 PM

yep...rana end it should be at sher e bangla...

Rubu
March 16, 2007, 03:40 PM
Pagol Bhai, if I could make you laugh on this grim day, that would be a good achievement. That was just a thought with the logic that we have several things in our country named after 7 bir shrestros. One less stadium won't hurt anything.

I mean, it is just not possible to have their 7 names for everything right? Other names has to come to few things? Why not Rana. A bowling end would be a better choice probably,,,,,,

Fazal
March 16, 2007, 04:56 PM

Ya it would be nice if BCB does something like awarding a gallery in his name or a scholarship to talented young player in his name or something like that.

In a smaller scale here is a thought .... its not national level .... its more within BC level. After each BD ODI series can we award one player with 'Manjarul Islam Rana' award? The criteria will not be based on the most wicket taker or the most run scorer, but rather based on someone who gave more than 100% in-terms of effort and production. Something like most improved player. 3 players can be nominated by some selected group (BC staff may be) and all BC members will vote.... Or something like that.

I know Rubu, its extra work. But it will keep you busy and give you a reason to be still active in BC. And most importantly it will keep Rana's memory alive.

Rubu
March 16, 2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks Fazal. No, I'm not worried about the extra work. In fact, I would feel guilty if I don't do anything trying to keep his memories alive. We do not want to forget Setu as well. It would be nice to have two bowling end of mirpur stadium named after the two players. I will have to talk to admin level to see what we can do for Rana in BC level. Big bosses, any thought?

Miraz
March 16, 2007, 05:18 PM
I liked Fazal's idea.

Players who shows 100% dedication on the field should get the award.

IMO, this should be given series by series basis, not match by match.

imtiaz82
March 16, 2007, 05:27 PM
Inna lillahi wa inna ilahi raji'un (To Allah we belong, and to Him is our return)

My thoughts are with the families of the 2 bright cricketers, they are the ones who are suffering the most now. Good to see our team dedicating tomorrow's match for Manjarul Islam Rana, inshallah they will be able to honor him and the whole country.