PDA

View Full Version : Gavaskar apologises for Hookes remark

immortal
March 20, 2007, 05:07 PM
Hmmm now Sunny has seen the error of his ways. He admits his comments about Hookes were not appropriate - what took his so long?

Cricinfo staff

March 20, 2007
'On live television and radio, sometimes you respond on the spur of the moment with a remark that can cause hurt and pain to others' © Getty Images

Sunil Gavaskar has apologised for the remark he made about David Hookes' death when criticising Australia's on-field behavior, saying the comment was "uncalled for and inappropriate". He did not, however, alter his claim that the Australian team would be more admired if they watched their manners during matches.

"I do regret it ... on the breakfast show I do with ESPN, I read out a statement regretting what I had said," Gavaskar told Melbourne radio station SEN. "On live television and radio, sometimes you respond on the spur of the moment with a remark that can cause hurt and pain to others.

"I realise and I accept that what I said was uncalled for and inappropriate. Having said that, I hope they [Hookes' family and friends] have the bigness of heart to forgive me for what I said about David Hookes"

scoilaheez
March 27, 2007, 04:35 AM
It was a disgraceful thing for Gavaskar to say. He should be ashamed of himself. However, I like him as a cricketer and person.

Alien
April 8, 2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah, he has been having a bit of a bad time.

Before BD match, he did say Bharat Maa will win by a big margin. He was silenced after the game.

OZGOD
April 14, 2007, 02:14 PM
He should have apologised to the Hookes family after his Hookes comment. But he was entitled to air the rest of his views - free speech and all that.