PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Problem

James90
October 1, 2003, 06:34 AM
Aagh I've tried about 15 pics and none of them can be found. I don't think they're too big but possibly. Are you meant to save it and write it as /MyDocuments/ etc. or the URL of the pic as in

www.something.jpg
Thanks in Advance

chinaman
October 1, 2003, 07:37 AM
Please note that, some web hosts/sites do not like hotlinking meaning their image file wouldn't load if linked from other site. In that case follow the 2nd Method.

A good Avatar would have dimension of 100x100 pixels or less and size of 10 kb or less.
File type should be either gif or jpg (am I correct?)

1st Method: If the image is in your web site:
Download it to your hard drive.
Using a graphic program (ACDSee, Irfanview etc) make it's size and dimension small.
Upload it to your site.
Put the URL (eg, www.yoursite.com/myavatar.jpg) in your profile from control panel.

2nd Method: If the image is in someone else's web site:
Download it to your hard drive.
Using a graphic program (ACDSee, Irfanview etc) make it's size and dimension small.
U2U it to a moderator or admin.

Mahmood
October 1, 2003, 10:25 AM
James, your avatar wont show up as the pic is in your hard drive, not on any web hosting. Go to www.geocities.com and get a free website, Then upload your avatar to that site. Then link to that URL.

Should work fine.

James90
October 1, 2003, 07:41 PM
I have to make a website to get an avatar??

Mahmood
October 1, 2003, 09:09 PM
You have to put your pic on a website to make it work as an avatar. Email me the pic, I will set it up for you if you want.

oracle
October 1, 2003, 10:30 PM
did everything dilligently, also saw my cool avatar for a while but disappeared soon after. now i see the red x.

Nasif
October 2, 2003, 02:37 AM
oracle you are hosting the avatar at geocities. I don't think geocities allows image links to be loaded to another site from their server. thats why you we seeing the X.

chinaman
October 2, 2003, 04:48 AM
Need free hosting service? Choose a good one from Free Webspace (http://www.free-webhosts.com/search-webhosts.php?ORDER=16&CO=1)

Make sure the host permits image linking.

oracle
October 2, 2003, 10:31 AM
Worth waitin in vain