PDA

View Full Version : Business mogul announces break-away cricket league in India

Tintin
April 3, 2007, 07:57 AM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/288641.html

Subhash Chandra, who heads the Essel Group, owners of the Zee brand, has announced a break-away cricket series called Indian Cricket League (ICL). The Essel Group will invest Rs 100 crore (US$ 23 million approx) into the project, and this will run parallel to Board of Control for Cricket in India.
The ICL will have six teams with two Indian internationals, four overseas players and eight juniors in each side. At the end of the third year, there will be 16 teams in the ICL. Chandra said this initiative was not in conflict with the BCCI but would be complementary to them.
The finer points of ICL:

Miraz
April 3, 2007, 08:21 AM
One BCCI cannot prevent the chaos, two similar organization to run cricket will create more clashes and collision of interests and ultimately further decline in cricket standard.

If they have a noble intent to help India cricket, they should work with BCCI and make a coordinated approach.

Tintin
April 3, 2007, 08:32 AM
BCCI is probably too snobbish to consider any settlement. Their likely response will be to try bullying Zee and the cricketers.

It is unlikely that Zee will attempt something like this unless they have already got assurance from the involved cricketers. It is doubtful that this will succeed but BCCI very badly needs a kick in the back.

zakirc
April 3, 2007, 09:20 AM
Talk about commercialization of cricket, some people will never learn. Despite this looking to be a great initiative, a business concern will not invest money without calculating its return potential and such calculations put higher value on short-term rather than long-term gains. This is why certain aspects of every country needs to be controlled by the government. For example, as much as we have hated BTV for their bias towards whoever was in power, BTV was still needed, in order to deliver non-profit and public awareness programs.

I don't see India cricket gaining much from this.

stuge
April 3, 2007, 10:22 AM
There are reports her ethat this type of league is very unlikely as BCCI will never approve it . .

Padosan
April 3, 2007, 12:39 PM
One BCCI cannot prevent the chaos, two similar organization to run cricket will create more clashes and collision of interests and ultimately further decline in cricket standard.

If they have a noble intent to help India cricket, they should work with BCCI and make a coordinated approach.

BCCI doesnt want to co-ordinate anything with ICC let alone some Zee ? BCCI is basically corrupt, you pay them the right money, they will co-ordinate with cricket club of south western New jersey also.

Man i hate the name BCCI, board for control of cricket in india, you guys dont need to control anything except ur ego and big heads. change the name to Cricket India or something, fire all the politicians from the Board. Ban regional quota, Let the Government take over BCCI and IAS officers/ Collectors run the organisation.

Enuff of the cricket boards and we dont need one more ZEE or Star to offer more money and attractions to already rich cricketers.

Bearman
April 3, 2007, 04:12 PM
Obviously Zee expect financial returns, but if they can produce a competitive league that players and fans enjoy then good luck to them. The Indian domestic scene needs a good shake up, they have been very slow to introduce 20/20 , which has been a success in most other cricket nations. We hear a lot about India being the centre of the cricket universe these days, but their domestic competitions are far less well attended than in England and Australia. Then there's the question of producing young talent, well the presesnt system isn't doing it...

Tigers_eye
April 3, 2007, 04:22 PM
I like this approach. Also, BCCI has not indicated as of yet to what they will decide. So far it seems like they may work together. This will be good for the next generations. Did anyone read the whole thing? Zee would pay a hefty amount for the rights and schedule to some facilities. Some they may help build. Win-win situation. We all know money talks for BCCI.

The only problem will occur when BCCI selection committee would disregard Zee's performing players.

gatekeeper
April 4, 2007, 12:53 AM
Kerry Packer's gonna come out of his grave and spank these guys.

Rabz
April 7, 2007, 01:28 AM
Kerry Packer's gonna come out of his grave and spank these guys.

Ha ha...
there can be only one Kerry Packer and only one World Series....

Looks like this Subhash guy is trying to pull a Packer here...

lets see what happens...

sadi
August 20, 2007, 09:18 AM
Things are getting quite interesting here.

The Indian Cricket League unveiled its roster of players for the first season on Monday, including Pakistan's Inzamam-ul-Haq and Mohammad Yousuf, South Africans Lance Klusener and Nicky Boje, and 45 Indian players. The Indians included internationals JP Yadav, Deep Dasgupta, Dinesh Mongia and Reetinder Sodhi and promising youngsters Ambati Rayudu and Abhishek Jhunjhunwala.

Abdul Razzaq, who announced his retirement from international cricket today, and Imran Farhat were the other Pakistani players named.

Brian Lara, the former West Indies captain, had been named as an ICL player last month.

Inzamam, Yousuf, Klusener head ICL roster (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/icl/content/current/story/307545.html)

Tigers_eye
August 20, 2007, 09:56 AM
Cricket is no longer a game to any of the ICC members (boards). This is a business. In this business, except one or two boards, players are not paid by the market because of the monopoly affect of each boards. I strongly support ICL just because these boards need to be taught a lesson. There is no pension plan, rehabilitation program for these players. If one sight the greats that played the game didn't have that; I would say time has changed. The boards can do those things with the earnings they have. The attitude of the boards were always it is my way or the high way. be it in sponsership or players contracts. I hope for the sake of the market this league starts off in flying colors.

Just because the boards do not agree does not mean this new league is bad. The boards do not agree because they wouldn't be able have the monopoly to all funds. Sponsers will desert them too if ICL can somehow stablish their grounds. Many fans (specially from Pakistan) from other countries see this issue as unpatriotic. That is just foolish. The boards are trying to instill in to the fans heart. There is no difference for a player to play overseas or in ICL. Who cares if the BCCI do not recognize that league or not? Is BCCI the supreme authority of everything?

sadi
August 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
Good point T_E bhai as always. Competition is always good. I am looking forward to follow ICL.

DJ Sahastra
August 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
In all honesty, i am happy for ICL.

I am sick of watching the rotten core comprising Sharad Pawar and co. What business have politicians got in Cricket - Simple: Business.

I want ICL to kick BCCI, rub it's nose to dirt .... aaahhhhhhhh, whata feeling!

It's a shame cos it was a good opportunity for BCCI to promote fierce competitive cricket and unearth the vast pool of Indian players. Instead, they decided to seek refugee in monopoly. I say more power to ICL, and Kapil. May Sachin, Ganguly and Dravid join it one year down the line.

Miraz
August 20, 2007, 11:08 AM
DJ, can you comment on the Indian players signed with ICL?

Are they good bunch?

Bengaliprince176
August 20, 2007, 12:10 PM
DJ, can you comment on the Indian players signed with ICL?

Are they good bunch?

some are very good young players, there is a Rayuda and a Jhunjhunwala, both good young players and exciting prospects. and many more... but most are retired old players who missed their chance to play for India, or have played well domestically but been ignore by BCCI. it will be interesting...

however, is it me or do they have way too many players????? i heard its six teams of a squad of 14?? but it seems they have way too mnay players now...

Murad
August 20, 2007, 12:18 PM
hm pakistan will miss yousuf so much in test.. hes the best test player pak ever had..

Tigers_eye
August 20, 2007, 03:25 PM
hm pakistan will miss yousuf so much in test.. hes the best test player pak ever had..
Ever? I guess Zaheer Abbas, Hanif Mohammad, Javed Miadad, Inzi weren't that good.

In my book he won't be in the top five.

akabir77
August 20, 2007, 03:38 PM
Cricket is no longer a game to any of the ICC members (boards). This is a business. In this business, except one or two boards, players are not paid by the market because of the monopoly affect of each boards. I strongly support ICL just because these boards need to be taught a lesson. There is no pension plan, rehabilitation program for these players. If one sight the greats that played the game didn't have that; I would say time has changed. The boards can do those things with the earnings they have. The attitude of the boards were always it is my way or the high way. be it in sponsership or players contracts. I hope for the sake of the market this league starts off in flying colors.

Just because the boards do not agree does not mean this new league is bad. The boards do not agree because they wouldn't be able have the monopoly to all funds. Sponsers will desert them too if ICL can somehow stablish their grounds. Many fans (specially from Pakistan) from other countries see this issue as unpatriotic. That is just foolish. The boards are trying to instill in to the fans heart. There is no difference for a player to play overseas or in ICL. Who cares if the BCCI do not recognize that league or not? Is BCCI the supreme authority of everything?

Good point also I hope that BCCB lets BD players play their if they get any offer cause its not much different than playing is england. and it will better our players...

AsifTheManRahman
August 20, 2007, 03:55 PM
Good point also I hope that BCCB lets BD players play their if they get any offer cause its not much different than playing is england. and it will better our players...

Well the only problem with that is that international cricket and the ICL might just be mutually exclusive, so that a player signed up for one may not be able to take a break from and play in the other.

I really doubt any of the Bangladeshi players will get a call, though. Perhaps Ashraful and/or Tamim?

sadi
August 20, 2007, 10:14 PM
I guess the reason why other boards are having problem with ICL is because they don't want to ruin their relationship with BCCI by accepting ICL and rather want their players to play in their domestic cricket. Ofcourse, Bangladesh's case is different where our players will actually benefit from playing such league. I am all for former international players to join this league. Make it interesting. Let us have another option. We can never have too much cricket.

Ganguly da
August 22, 2007, 10:08 PM
ICL is already creating ripples.... with several int'l stars already on the roster...things are looking great.... I personally can't wait to see the 20-20 competition...

Tigers_eye
August 23, 2007, 08:28 AM
Miadad has already openly asked PCB to recognise ICL so that their Intl. players can play both. Good move my man.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/icl/content/current/story/307974.html

Pakistan and the ICL imbroglio
Miandad urges Pakistan board to recognise ICL

Javed Miandad wants the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to recognise the Indian Cricket League (ICL) before it escalates into the magnitude of Kerry Packer's parallel World Series 30 years ago. "I don't think this policy of banning players is going to work practically," Miandad was quoted as saying by the Indian Express. "Since the ICL is not something which the governments have objected to, I think any player can go to court and challenge any ban on him to play in and for his country. ...

Puck
August 23, 2007, 04:16 PM
i'd really love to see a south asia league. if this breakaway league could encompass all the four countries that would make it such an attarctive proposition. it would also eb excellent for bangladesh cricket.

Sohel
August 23, 2007, 06:51 PM
Hmm ... "Curry" Packer.

Bengaliprince176
August 24, 2007, 07:23 AM
interesting development... BCCI to make thier own 20/20 league!!

AsifTheManRahman
August 24, 2007, 09:08 AM
Cool. Kapil sacked, international players rebelling, boards unhappy, Shubhash Chandra is truly the next Kerry Packer!

Tigers_eye
August 24, 2007, 10:14 AM
i'd really love to see a south asia league. if this breakaway league could encompass all the four countries that would make it such an attarctive proposition. it would also eb excellent for bangladesh cricket.
Another breakaway league 20/20 with four countries involved on the horizon. however the countries wouldn't include SL, Pak and BD. All in the works not yet finalized. Top SL and Pakistani players can play in that league (teams would be based in India, Aus, SA and England).

sadi
August 24, 2007, 10:15 AM
interesting development... BCCI to make thier own 20/20 league!!

Thanks ICL for making it happen. Cricket will be kool again. Can't wait.

Surfer
August 24, 2007, 10:31 AM

You said it bro. An ICL was necessary to get BCCI on the toes.

Puck
August 26, 2007, 09:50 AM

perhaps it is just 'cool' now ;)