PDA

View Full Version : First ever watched an international cricket game live from Stadium.

Nocturnal
April 5, 2007, 01:42 AM
My first ever ODI live from stadium was Ind vs Pak in 1988 Asia Cup in dhaka with my dad. I was too young too go by myself. And my first test match (watching from the stadium) was Bangladesh's first test against India in 2000.
What was yours? It could be an ODI or a test match.

Kabir
April 5, 2007, 09:09 AM
I was too young to even remember what it was...bit I remember watching a Test match with my dad, where my uncle was sitting next to me and listening to the radio for commentary. Good old days :)

cricfanz
April 5, 2007, 09:18 AM
Ahh. My first match was while I was in Bdesh in the school holidays, on 26 Dec 2004, when Bangladesh beat India in Dhaka. That was THE day, man..Will never forget it ever.

Kabir
April 5, 2007, 09:46 AM
You were there on a good day...good for you :)

Nafis_BD
April 5, 2007, 09:50 AM
I still didn't get to watch a game in the stadium!!

Tintin
April 5, 2007, 10:02 AM
I have watched exactly one day of an international match - the final day of the Test between India and Sri Lanka at Bombay in 1997. India was in a good position to win but the day was cloudy because of which Srinath could not bowl in the last two sessions and the match ended as a draw with some 20 overs still to bowl. I went with a 10 year old son of a cousin. There was a fairly large crowd of some 30-40,000 who were extremely noisy and shouted abuses at the players, especially Ranatunga who played a long innings, almost throughout. Since the abuses were in Hindi and my knowledge of that language is poor, my little companion translated them for me. You are not allowed to take anything inside - not water or a newspaper -, had to eat potato chips and drink Pepsi the whole day and the stomach was like a balloon by the evening. The seats were hard to sit on, and there is no space to move, it was extremely hot and humid throughout the day. I won't be going back to watch an ODI or Test anytime soon.

I have watched some 20-25 days of first class cricket though.

Spitfire_x86
April 5, 2007, 02:16 PM
Bangladesh vs India, 1st match of TVS Cup 2003 (right after WC2003), first and only match.

India scored 270+, Yuvraj scored his 1st century and we got shot out for 76.

ialbd
April 5, 2007, 02:58 PM
mine was NZ vs Zim (if i can recall correctly), the first game of the Mini Worldcup (knockout) in Dhaka in 1998 (or was it 99?).....

Mahir
April 5, 2007, 10:48 PM
Bangladesh vs India, 1st match of TVS Cup 2003 (right after WC2003), first and only match.

India scored 270+, Yuvraj scored his 1st century and we got shot out for 76.

Your mighty influence on BD! :) Yes, feel as special as u want! :p

As for myself, first ever live Int'l match in stadium was way back in Oct '98, went to see the West Indies take on Pakistan in Dhaka in the first-ever "Mini World Cup" (Wills International Cup, it was called). Aus-India was the first choice to go see, but didnt get tickets. had to settle on Pak-WI. Only other game I had a chance to go see before leaving BD was the game between Asia XI and the Rest of the World XI during the ICC Cricket Week promotional in Dhaka in April of 2000. Priceless memories :)

Bancan
April 5, 2007, 10:50 PM
The asia cup that was held in BD. i think the match was between SL and PAK. i left after 1 innings.

Hatebreed
April 5, 2007, 11:55 PM
Well it wasn't really an official ODI but a great one nonetheless. World XI vs Asia XI in Dhaka, 2000. Asia XI won by 1 run.

Nocturnal
April 6, 2007, 12:42 AM
mine was NZ vs Zim (if i can recall correctly), the first game of the Mini Worldcup (knockout) in Dhaka in 1998 (or was it 99?).....

That was a very good game. NZ won very last ball in 1998.

cricfanz
April 6, 2007, 12:59 AM
My 3rd match was in Kolkata, India vs SA in 2005, when the Eden crowd was booing the Indian team and india crashed to defeat. That was a horrible match, in terms of the crowd behaviour. Even I was hit by paper balls at times for not participating in the communal booing and still supporting India...

Orpheus
April 6, 2007, 01:06 AM
Even I was hit by paper balls at times for not participating in the communal booing and still supporting India...

they should have hit you with the hard ball for supporting India...

My first match will be in this world cup.... :) I will say which one later..

cricfanz
April 6, 2007, 01:13 AM
Haha. Its not a crime to support India when they're not playing against BD. My second fav team (after BD, obv) is india..not much of a choice since 1/4 of my family lives there..

ialbd
April 6, 2007, 06:40 PM
That was a very good game. NZ won very last ball in 1998.

yea that was an exciting game, I think it was the first time they had the bowl-out rule (the tie-breaker of cricket) in case of tied scores, and the crowd was really hoping for a bowl out. There werent any die hard NZ or Zim supporters so it was a great game of cricket without any tension or pressure.....

Rabz
April 7, 2007, 01:24 AM
My first cricket match in a stadium was between Bangladesh V SriLanka A (or may be pakistan A, cant remember for sure) back in 94...(not sure again..)

Remember we had a cricket tournament where A teams from our neighbouring countries plus us, and we beat India A team.... it was a massive celebration for the team.... i think Pakistan A eventually won the cup beating India A....

i was only 12 or 13 at that time...went to the game with my uncle...

But that wasnt my first at Dhaka stadium, went to see football the year before in Saaf games, BD vs Nepal, where BD lost 0-1 when expected to win.

My first time in Dhaka stadium, a 12 year old kid, had a frightening experience. ( Was with the same uncle again, amar chacha, 3rd of my 7 uncle..amader bashae thakto, amake onek khelae niye gese..thank you chachuu..lol)

half way thru the game when BD conceded a goal and was playing really bad, the crowd went nuts and started to cheer for the Nepalese. they started to burn the chairs and was getting in a violent mood. Observing the situation, my uncle quickly grabbed me and we left the stadium before the game finished. Guess he was worried about me.

Been to Dhaka stadium lots and lots of time after that..but that first experience was something i would never forget.

Nocturnal
April 7, 2007, 02:56 AM
My first cricket match in a stadium was between Bangladesh V SriLanka A (or may be pakistan A, cant remember for sure) back in 94...(not sure again..)

Remember we had a cricket tournament where A teams from our neighbouring countries plus us, and we beat India A team.... it was a massive celebration for the team.... i think Pakistan A eventually won the cup beating India A....

i was only 12 or 13 at that time...went to the game with my uncle...

But that wasnt my first at Dhaka stadium, went to see football the year before in Saaf games, BD vs Nepal, where BD lost 0-1 when expected to win.

My first time in Dhaka stadium, a 12 year old kid, had a frightening experience. ( Was with the same uncle again, amar chacha, 3rd of my 7 uncle..amader bashae thakto, amake onek khelae niye gese..thank you chachuu..lol)

half way thru the game when BD conceded a goal and was playing really bad, the crowd went nuts and started to cheer for the Nepalese. they started to burn the chairs and was getting in a violent mood. Observing the situation, my uncle quickly grabbed me and we left the stadium before the game finished. Guess he was worried about me.

Been to Dhaka stadium lots and lots of time after that..but that first experience was something i would never forget.

Sydney, I watched that game too from dhaka stadium, it was in Dec 1993 - I was in class eight (just finished my "Britti" porikkha) and watched it just by myself. I remembered that "voilent mood" too. we had a great hope with our team that year but we knocked out in first round.
huh, never thought of remembering that game again.

Sovik
April 7, 2007, 06:15 AM
south africa Vs west inides 1998. first knock out world cup final.

my dad was going to dhaka and asked me to go with him but i didn't want to miss the game between India and australia and i didn't go. but two days later my dad came back from dhaka and showed me some picture where he was standing under the electronic scorecard. he just went to dhaka to watch that match and wanted to surprise me. i was angry but couldn't say anything and but he was laughing at me. after couple of hours he gave me three tickets of the final. that was one of the happiest moment of my life.

Nocturnal
April 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
south africa Vs west inides 1998. first knock out world cup final.

my dad was going to dhaka and asked me to go with him but i didn't want to miss the game between India and australia and i didn't go. but two days later my dad came back from dhaka and showed me some picture where he was standing under the electronic scorecard. he just went to dhaka to watch that match and wanted to surprise me. i was angry but couldn't say anything and but he was laughing at me. after couple of hours he gave me three tickets of the final. that was one of the happiest moment of my life.

wow nice. so,which team did you support for final?

Sovik
April 7, 2007, 06:31 PM
wow nice. so,which team did you support for final?

windies. i am a hardcore windies fan. and my second favourite is south africa

fluke
April 8, 2007, 11:50 AM
Bangladesh V Zimbabwe at Dhaka stadium. i cant remember what yr this was in...definately around 1992. I was just a kid but i still remember bangladesh losing :P.

Mridul
April 8, 2007, 01:06 PM
First ODI ever watched in Dhaka stadium: India vs Australia in 1998

First test match: Pakistan vs Sri Lanka in 1999...it was the Final match held in Dhaka stadium

I have also watched following matches at Bangabandhu Stadium
Bangladesh vs Kenya in 1999
Bangladesh vs West Indies in 1999
Bangladesh vs India in 2000 the first test match of Bangladesh

It was great to watch the matches from the gallery...so much fun...awesome fillings

HereWeGo
April 10, 2007, 10:23 PM
not sure if international or not.....but i went to watch my first match at the stadium when bangladesh U 19 played Windies U 19. As far as i can recall Golla Rokon and durjoy was in that team and they beat the windies convincingly. Cant recall the year or nething...been too long

sadi
April 12, 2007, 09:47 AM
Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe. Mehrab Hussain Opee scored the first odi hundred for Bangladesh.

Second game: India vs Australia. Sachin scored 140+ runs beating the crap out of Shane Warne.

ammark
April 14, 2007, 02:25 AM
Well it wasn't really an official ODI but a great one nonetheless. World XI vs Asia XI in Dhaka, 2000. Asia XI won by 1 run.

That was an Intense match. I still cant get over Bevan's 188 not out.... and he was 6 runs from winning, he got a 4 off the last ball.

My first match was South Africa vs England 1998 Mini World Cup, Dhaka Stadium... Eastern Gallery. Apart from the fact that there was no shade till the sun set, it was still really enjoyable. Crowd hurling abuse at the English fielders was part of the fun.

Second and last match was Pakistan vs West Indies, Mini World Cup 1998, Dhaka Stadium... Western Gallery. Couldnt enjoy it because it was sooo crowded, and we couldnt get seats. Came back home early and watched the rest on TV... but then I was with friend and his boro bhai and bhaiya's friends.

Yameen
April 14, 2007, 02:58 PM
my first match was Bangladesh v scotland at the 1999 world cup where we won, i didnt know much about cricket that time but i had a great time as i remember..

and the 2nd match was the famous cardiff match , when bangladesh played australia in 2005 and we won by 5 wickets!!..one of the greatest days in my life!!

cricfanz
April 15, 2007, 01:44 AM
Second and last match was Pakistan vs West Indies, Mini World Cup 1998, Dhaka Stadium... Western Gallery. Couldnt enjoy it because it was sooo crowded, and we couldnt get seats. Came back home early and watched the rest on TV...

Ya, its impossible to watch a match with normal tickets in dhaka stadium. Best would be the VIP tickets. Not too expensive, and you get a proper seat and can watch the match too. Lol.

What's the ticketing in the Mirpur Stadium like, does anyone know?

Nocturnal
April 15, 2007, 02:52 AM
still I would prefer regular gallery for the fun part.

Rabz
April 15, 2007, 07:46 AM
Sydney, I watched that game too from dhaka stadium, it was in Dec 2003 - I was in class eight (just finished my "Britti" porikkha) and watched it just by myself. I remembered that "voilent mood" too. we had a great hope with our team that year but we knocked out in first round.
huh, never thought of remembering that game again.

I guess you meant Dec 1993
or else it would make me 16 years old now!!
not that im complaining:-D :-D

adel
April 15, 2007, 06:11 PM
World XI vs Asia XI in Dhaka Stadium...What a game, I reme,ber we had awesome seats (i think theye were next to whwre the players came down), and Bevan, OMG!!!

Pak_rox
April 16, 2007, 06:53 AM
ive never watched a match in any stadium :( i always want watch but whenever i go back to pak they arent playing at home or arent playing at all!!

cricfanz
April 16, 2007, 10:14 AM
still I would prefer regular gallery for the fun part.

I secretly secretly wish I could sneak into the regular gallery and have normal fun with every other pagal fan there as well. But unfortunately, thats near impossible. I would be absolutely barred from those galleries, for two reasons, gender and nationality/culture (apparently we wouldnt be used to the jostling and pushing that happens in these galleries).

Zobair
April 16, 2007, 03:28 PM
Bangladesh-India, Queen's Park Oval, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago, March 17 2007, World Cup group B match.

Will never forget those memories :)

Nocturnal
April 16, 2007, 06:57 PM
I guess you meant Dec 1993
or else it would make me 16 years old now!!
not that im complaining:-D :-D

right mate...I meant Dec 1993. :)

Nocturnal
April 17, 2007, 02:20 AM
I secretly secretly wish I could sneak into the regular gallery and have normal fun with every other pagal fan there as well. But unfortunately, thats near impossible. I would be absolutely barred from those galleries, for two reasons, gender and nationality/culture (apparently we wouldnt be used to the jostling and pushing that happens in these galleries).

got your point now. :)

Hatebreed
April 17, 2007, 10:15 AM
World XI vs Asia XI in Dhaka Stadium...What a game, I reme,ber we had awesome seats (i think theye were next to whwre the players came down), and Bevan, OMG!!!

I know what you mean. I went to see the players practise and got Cairns' autograph from that end.

samjad
April 17, 2007, 08:34 PM
Funny enough I don't remember my first live match.. I think it was in Chittagong .. bangladesh playing some1.. don't remember but I think it was India(before we got test status). then many other games.. I remember when Pakistan visited bangladesh after their lost against us in wc99.. and I remember shahid afridi scored 80 or something in 30 or 40 balls..killed the game. ..

Nocturnal
April 17, 2007, 10:03 PM
Funny enough I don't remember my first live match.. I think it was in Chittagong .. bangladesh playing some1.. don't remember but I think it was India(before we got test status). .....

That's kinda funny :)

ammark
April 17, 2007, 10:43 PM
Ya, its impossible to watch a match with normal tickets in dhaka stadium. Best would be the VIP tickets. Not too expensive, and you get a proper seat and can watch the match too. Lol.

I had a Special Enclosure ticket for that match. Traded it for Western Gallery since my buddy, and his boro bhai and bhaiyas all had Western Gallery. I would take a gallery seat anyway. Its wayyy more fun... I think I can bare with it for another 7 years.

Kabir
April 17, 2007, 11:51 PM
What are you talking about guys? Watching the match with the REAL people is a completely different type of fun. I used to look at the enclosed VIP areas, and say, "how boring can it get".

I saw the whole mini world cup in Dhaka stadium. On top of that, I watched every single international match in Dhaka stadium between 1997 to 2001 (can't remember all the matches...but there were a few).

cricfanz
April 18, 2007, 07:07 AM
Haha. When you're restricted from going to the real galleries by default, the best you can do is pretend to be loving it.. :P

Kabir
April 18, 2007, 08:42 AM
Neh, this girl who got tickets for all the matches to sit in the VIP invited me for most of the matches. Didn't go, coz I didn't wanna sit in there sad like you did.

And when you couldn't go sit with the "normal" people, the best excuse you come up with is you're having fun in the lifeless VIP gallery!!! :lol:

One World
April 24, 2007, 10:37 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1980S/1988-89/OD_TOURNEYS/ASIA/PAK_IND_ASIA_ODI5_31OCT1988.html

Got to go through my memorya lot. Me and my friend (currently a freelance cameraman of dramas and movies) went to see this biggy. Cheers.

Pundit
April 27, 2007, 01:05 PM
My first International: Bangladesh vs. Hyderabad Blues, Circa 1982
My first ICC International: India vs. Pakistan, Dhaka Stadium, 1988

Zunaid
April 27, 2007, 01:56 PM
My first International: Bangladesh vs. Hyderabad Blues, Circa 1982
My first ICC International: India vs. Pakistan, Dhaka Stadium, 1988

Been there, done that :)

My first International: Bangladesh vs. MCC @ Rajshahi circa 1978. The one with Conrade Hunte, Ted Clarke et al.

My first ICC International: Sri Lanka vs. Pakistan, Asia Cup, Dhaka Stadium, 27 October, 1988 (Watched all the matches at Dhaka)

Pundit
April 27, 2007, 02:18 PM
Anyone here seen a test at Dhaka stadium prior to 1971?

Zunaid
April 27, 2007, 02:54 PM

Does TV count? I was barely out of my nappies but I do remember the family arrayed in front of the TV. Fazal Mahmud was the one name I remember. Looking this up later, I figure this was the '69 Kiwi trip with the last Test at Dhaka.

Nocturnal
April 27, 2007, 05:41 PM
I watched a game in Dhaka Stadium in '90 (I guess) between Mohammedan and visiting Denmark team. Anyone remember this game? I tried to find the score in cricketarchive but couldn't find anything...anyone?
By the way, I'm a Abahani fan :)

Kabir
April 27, 2007, 05:50 PM

Pundit bhai...first ask, is there anyone here who was born before 1971? Then your question should follow :saint:

Sovik
April 27, 2007, 06:38 PM
hoping for an international match in Sirajgonj Stadium. Will be one hell of an experience.

BangladeshFan
April 29, 2007, 09:28 AM
I watched a game in Dhaka Stadium in '90 (I guess) between Mohammedan and visiting Denmark team. Anyone remember this game? I tried to find the score in cricketarchive but couldn't find anything...anyone?

an iranian or danish team? i went to a match between an iran league champion and mohamedan probably in 91 or 92. MSC needed to win that match to go thru and was leading till half time. But later conceded a goal and match ended 1-1. It was match full of excitement and as a kid i was jumping up and down.

Good old days, we cant even think of a Bd football club now competing with an Iranian champion!

BangladeshFan
April 29, 2007, 09:42 AM
First int. cricket match I went was between BD and Pakistan A. It was probably called Saarc tourney or something just before the ICC trohphy that Bd won, so in 1997 I guess.

I was very interested to see Mohammad Jahid who was thought to be the fastest bowler in the world at that time. There were also Aqib Javed, Kabir khan, Ajhar Mahmud, Basit Ali and several other players in that team. Jahid looked to be the quickest of them though there was no speedometer. It was a bad match for Bd as batsmen just came and went back to the pavilion against the ferocious pace. The famous JO(yes the same javed omar) and Atahar opened the innings. while atahar was atleast hitting some balls with the bat, JO was all at sea. After flailing at a few deliveres, he was taken out of misery and got bowled. Its funny that we still have this JO in the team anyway.

Bd scored like 180 and thanks to some late hitting by shanto. When pak A came out to bat, the first boundary they hit, there was a buzz around the stadium. It went to the boundary like a rocket, we couldnt see a boudary like that in the whole of Bd innings. The difference in class was too obvious! Anyway we came out of the stadium before the match finished.......... and u can guess, very disappointed.

Nocturnal
April 29, 2007, 12:41 PM
an iranian or danish team? i went to a match between an iran league champion and mohamedan probably in 91 or 92. MSC needed to win that match to go thru and was leading till half time. But later conceded a goal and match ended 1-1. It was match full of excitement and as a kid i was jumping up and down.

Good old days, we cant even think of a Bd football club now competing with an Iranian champion!

OMG. :)
BangladeshFan, yah I kind of remember this football match but I was talking about CRICKET though :p

Nocturnal
October 5, 2007, 12:05 AM
anyone wanna share? :)

Bengaliprince176
October 5, 2007, 04:20 AM
first match- at Trent Bridge WC 1999 India vs NZ super sixes- a strange game, Ganguly and Sachin out quickly, JAdeja and Azhar stabilised the innings, it rained, they said it wud be called off, but when we got home, they were back on the pitch!!! :hairpull:

First Test Match- 2002 India vs England first four days when England were creaming India, then didnt go last day when India played well....best thing is i met Dada who i later met at the last test match in trent bridge, 2007 and got my poster signed by him!! :)

altoghter been to 6 days of test matches (India- England 2002 and 2007) and 5 ODIs (INd vs Eng 2004, 1999 Ind vs NZ, Bang vs Eng 2005, SL vs ENg 2002 and best ever game.... PAKISTAN VS AUSTRALIA!! best ever game and atmosphere (just before pitch invasions were banned....and a very "interesting game", Waqar got 6 wickets (great bowling) and some interesting crwod behaviour;)!!

but my next match, im hoping will be at Eden Gardens as my family have told me many stories, that is my next target!!

BangladeshFan
October 5, 2007, 11:50 AM

actually i think i remember this one. at that time even beating a denmark side was some kind of achievement.

bulbul played some dashing boundaries in the tense finish and maybe rafiq contributed some lusty blows. i was listening the radio commentary as a tense 14 yr kid.:waiting:

Nocturnal
October 5, 2007, 03:59 PM
but my next match, im hoping will be at Eden Gardens as my family have told me many stories, that is my next target!!

what is crowd capaciry in Eden Gardens? is it the biggest in cricket?

Bengaliprince176
October 6, 2007, 02:21 PM
yep 100,000!!! all packed in, my cousin made me so jealous, when Ganguly batting with Sachin in ODIS, in Kolkata the atmosphere electric!!