PDA

View Full Version : Match thread: England vs South Africa, unofficial quarterfinal

sadi
April 16, 2007, 10:23 PM
Winner of this game will most likely make it to the semis. South Africa starts off as the favorite but if Pieterson and Flintoff clicks, anything can happen. Put your thoughts.

Kabir
April 16, 2007, 10:30 PM
If anything at all, I want England to win this match. Now that we've got no hopes, I don't want SA to make it to the semis. They're just an overrated team. So is England, but at least England doesn't have that bandor-er-pacha looking mega-arogant creature (Nel).

OZGOD
April 17, 2007, 12:54 AM
G'day Kabir. It would be funny if the Saffas, after having talked themselves up when they got the No1 spot, end up missing out due to a matchwinning knock from ex-Saffa Kevin Pietersen, eh. :-D

Anyway, the Proteas are under fire for allegedly partying it up in Grenade before their crucial match with England.

South Africa's preparations for today's World Cup game against England have been hit by allegations that several of their players, including the captain Graeme Smith, were out drinking heavily on the night of their defeat to New Zealand in Grenada on Saturday.

Gerald Majola, the chief executive of the South African cricket board who flies out to the Caribbean today, has asked for a report of Saturday's events while Smith said yesterday: "If the guys have crossed the line then the matter will be dealt with."

Article continues
A South African national living in Grenada reportedly phoned a radio station in Cape Town to say several of the players were "highly intoxicated" and continued to party after 4am, when he left the bar in which they were drinking. "There probably were guys who have had a few drinks but I don't know what highly intoxicated is," said Smith.

For more CLICK HERE (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricketworldcup2007/story/0,,2058591,00.html)

sadi
April 17, 2007, 06:31 AM
2 more hours. I want South Africa to be the champion. We can say, we beat the champion. ;)

sadi
April 17, 2007, 08:16 AM
England won the toss and batting. South Africa dropped Ntini for Kemp.

sadi
April 17, 2007, 08:59 AM
Vaughn took 19 balls to open his account. Interesting.

BangladeshCricket
April 17, 2007, 09:05 AM
2 more hours. I want South Africa to be the champion. We can say, we beat the champion. ;)
dhudher shad gole mitano...ki ar korar ...amader 'star' cricketer der jonno shob shomoi aei korte hobe.

sandpiper
April 17, 2007, 09:47 AM
KP gone and english hope is fading away

bengaltiger
April 17, 2007, 09:48 AM
pietersen gone. south african fielders are going crazy. :D

Hatebreed
April 17, 2007, 09:49 AM
Now it's all up to Strauss, Colly and Flinty.

Slogger
April 17, 2007, 10:11 AM
Well South Africa will win this now. They started off with some sensational bowling from Pollock. And England are absolutely useless with powerplays:lol:

England need to put up a score of around 250 to stop this South African batting lineup, I'm afraid it wont happen.

sadi
April 17, 2007, 10:17 AM
A game between two chokers and looks like England will win the contest.

Hatebreed
April 17, 2007, 10:19 AM
The way England bowled against us, I wouldn't write them off so soon. If they can put 240-250 runs on the board, they can win this.

sandpiper
April 17, 2007, 11:10 AM
Freddie gone and England in disarray

sadi
April 17, 2007, 11:12 AM
I guess we still have a chance to be number 6. England's batting is so dependant on Pieterson. They were badly exposed today.

sandpiper
April 17, 2007, 11:17 AM
Andrew Hall is the surprise package today, looks like england would be well short of 200.
In fact Ntini is replaced by Hall in this match
and this is 4th wkt for Hall, england 8 down

Miraz
April 17, 2007, 12:07 PM
This match again shows, what chance we have missed against England!

if we had won the toss in that match we could have won comfortably.

England is a bit better than us in bouncy condition but in sub-continent type wickets, they are way behind (in current form).

Hatebreed
April 17, 2007, 12:17 PM
If England play like this on a bouncy track, we can obliterate them in BD.

sar2005
April 17, 2007, 12:21 PM
You have to give few credits to Bangladesh on England's exite (almost, unless SA bat extremely bad or ENG bowl extremely well) from the world cup 07. This was Bangladesh's push to ENG while chasing 140+. They were so uncomfortable in chasing that small total against Bangladesh that they made their mind not to chase again. They won the toss today and decided to bat - which is clearly a decision based on their poor chase against Bangladesh.

Hatebreed
April 17, 2007, 12:36 PM
There's a slight advantage to us if SA win today, because they would go through and WI can't do anything about it. However, if SA lose, WI can still go through by thrashing us and England, which isn't impossible. No chance for semi-final means WI will be low in spirit, with two key players missing. While we have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

Tigers_eye
April 17, 2007, 12:37 PM
Who are the two key players missing? Is Lara one of them? SA should win this one with ease.

Hatebreed
April 17, 2007, 12:42 PM
Who are the two key players missing? Is Lara one of them? SA should win this one with ease.

I think Gayle and Samuels. Now I can't find the source..

Tigers_eye
April 17, 2007, 12:44 PM
I think Gayle and Samuels. Now I can't find the source..
Are they injured or management decision?

sadi
April 17, 2007, 12:49 PM
I read somewhere Samuels was so pissed at the team's performance that he walked out on them.

Hatebreed
April 17, 2007, 12:50 PM
I don't think they are injured, probably left or given a break. No confirmation whether they will be playing or not.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20070415/sports/sports9.html

Whatever the reason, they don't look 100% to me. So this is our chance to beat them.

sar2005
April 17, 2007, 01:00 PM
I also read it somewher that they are missing and both gyle and samuel flew to their home from the squad without informing team management.

sar2005
April 17, 2007, 01:02 PM
what a shot! De villiars is killing England.

sadi
April 17, 2007, 01:05 PM
South Africa wants to humiliate England. What a start!!!

sar2005
April 17, 2007, 01:09 PM
Not bad, not bad! As long as SA is there in the world cup, the name of Bangladesh will be rememered again and again.

Hatebreed
April 17, 2007, 01:10 PM
De Villiers got a half-life.

sar2005
April 17, 2007, 01:11 PM
SA 53 for no loss in 5.4 overs.

Murad
April 17, 2007, 01:15 PM
damn.. england re maira lutufutu kore dichche....

Thirdman
April 17, 2007, 02:03 PM
Some Interesting comments from CricInfo commentary

A rotund woman in the crowd roars her delight at that wicket, and lifts her shirt to reveal an enormous red bra, and an even larger stomach. Moving on...

"Barbados had better lock up its paddle boats tonight!" honks Gapsted

"There's a long way to go yet," says Nasser Hussain, "and England will be desperate to turn things around." He's talking long-term - having already written this match off

"If this is what South Africa do after a late-night drinking session, then surely England were wrong in banning their players from such activities," emails Percival Sonn of Cape Town.

Tigers_eye
April 17, 2007, 02:20 PM
Ki runrate niya ki jano khota bolsilo manush jon? Tar'i uttor ditasey smith. Good! They will face Australia next. :)

Amar bap, chacha'ra kono overwhelming performance (to their liking) dhekley ei kothata prai bolto:

Er kono manay asey (with a grin face)?

Tigers_eye
April 17, 2007, 02:23 PM
Some more commentary: They are on top of this one.

Flintoff snatches back his cap, puts it on his head, keeps his head bowed and he's grateful to have something to hide under.

I think Nixon wishes he were South African now, he's just rehearsing a forward drive with his glove. No, Paul, you've had your bat

The Sky commentary team are flailing for positives for England from this. "There are none really," concedes Atherton eventually. True enough

Drinks are being taken as the remaining Sky viewers switch over to Man United's game against Sheffield United. But you'll stay with us, won't you, as this is a masterclass in psyching out your opposition; South Africa are well and truly bossing this, England subsiding without a whimper.

Hatebreed
April 17, 2007, 02:24 PM
England got obliterated. This makes our victory against SA even more precious!

sar2005
April 17, 2007, 02:26 PM
I am very happy that we will be remembered in this world cup again and again.
Go SA go...........

Russell2k7
April 17, 2007, 02:32 PM
Lol AB and Smith was on fire today.

BanCricFan
April 17, 2007, 02:50 PM
wouldn't it be nice if we beat WI and they in turn beat Eng, therefore, we could end up ahead of England! So that Botham, Gower, willis, Mark Nicholas and their likes can eat their words. I say this and I'm English!:D

sar2005
April 17, 2007, 02:55 PM
wouldn't it be nice if we beat WI and they in turn beat Eng, therefore, we could end up ahead of England! So that Botham, Gower, willis, Mark Nicholas and their likes can eat their words. I say this and I'm English!:D

not only nice, this woul dbe great!! Let's pray and hope we end this mission on a high note.

Sovik
April 17, 2007, 02:59 PM
they crushed england. what a comeback from them

Russell2k7
April 17, 2007, 03:01 PM
not only nice, this woul dbe great!! Let's pray and hope we end this mission on a high note.

Yes we end the mission on a high note, WI ends the mission on a high note but ENG ends the mission on a crushing note.