PDA

View Full Version : Ahraful's dismissal vs. Ireland.

jabbar
April 16, 2007, 11:25 PM
Everyone seems to be blaming Bashar for Ashraful's dismissal. I think this is a little unfair to Bashar, and let's Ashraful off the hook (pardon the pun!) True, Bashar did frustrate Ashraful into that shot, but shouldn't Ash have gone up to his skipper and (politely) ask him to get a move on and look for the quick single and the second run? Rather, he should have stuck to his game plan of going for 1s and 2s to push his lacklustre captain into motion.

al Furqaan
April 17, 2007, 12:48 AM
6 months ago, ash would have been the culprit. but he has clearly matured into a better cricketer and bashar has, well, he's just matured...too much.

OZGOD
April 17, 2007, 12:51 AM
Why is Bashar so bad at running between the wickets? Is it age, fitness or just poor judgment?

Nocturnal
April 17, 2007, 12:57 AM
Why is Bashar so bad at running between the wickets? Is it age, fitness or just poor judgment?

Unfortunately all three "age, fitness and just poor judgmen". :(

gatekeeper
April 17, 2007, 01:19 AM
Everyone seems to be blaming Bashar for Ashraful's dismissal. I think this is a little unfair to Bashar, and let's Ashraful off the hook (pardon the pun!) True, Bashar did frustrate Ashraful into that shot, but shouldn't Ash have gone up to his skipper and (politely) ask him to get a move on and look for the quick single and the second run? Rather, he should have stuck to his game plan of going for 1s and 2s to push his lacklustre captain into motion.

Off course, Ashraful is to blame primarily. He may be young but he ha 100 ODIs under his belt, he should've known better.

But the Bashar factor just cannot be ignored. When your captain's carrying a defeatist attidute, its hard to be objective. Good managers know how to get the most work out of their workers. Bashar should've known how to make Ashraful stay at the crease and take game away from the Irish. At that point only Ashraful could have saved the match.

OZGOD
April 17, 2007, 01:47 AM
How is Bashar to blame for the shot that Ashraful played, though? Surely Ashraful is in control of what types of shots he chooses to play?

gatekeeper
April 17, 2007, 01:56 AM
How is Bashar to blame for the shot that Ashraful played, though? Surely Ashraful is in control of what types of shots he chooses to play?

The contention here is or at least how I see it is that Bashar is not to blame for that particular shot but Bashar's attitude as Ashraful's batting partner and captain certainly didn't help. Bashar seemed unable or unwilling to take singles or convert 1s into 2s. Ashraful might have felt it was imperitive that he scores bounderies and go for big shots which was clearly NOT the need of the moment.

But as I said, Ashraful's an experienced campaigner and should've known better.

OZGOD
April 17, 2007, 01:59 AM
The contention here is or at least how I see it is that Bashar is not to blame for that particular shot but Bashar's attitude as Ashraful's batting partner and captain certainly didn't help. Bashar seemed unable or unwilling to take singles or convert 1s into 2s. Ashraful might have felt it was imperitive that he scores bounderies and go for big shots which was clearly NOT the need of the moment.

True, but Ashraful tends to play the big shots anyway - he tried to paddle sweep McGrath over his shoulder first ball during the OZ-BD match! I get the sense he's not a big fan of going for singles and rotating the strike anyway. But in any case, Ashraful should have told Bashar to pull his head in - just because Bashar is the captain doesn't mean you can't tell him when he's playing like a muppet. :)

Protic
April 17, 2007, 02:49 AM
Totally bashar's fault..come on.. He's 34..Ashraful is 21..and Bash is also the captain.. it was Ashraful..who was asking bashar to calm down..Ashraful would have scored a 70+ only if we had Aftab or Mushy or Even Sakib with him.

BanCricFan
April 17, 2007, 04:31 AM
6 months ago, ash would have been the culprit. but he has clearly matured into a better cricketer and bashar has, well, he's just matured...too much.

Not bad al-furqaan bhai! not bad!:floor:

rosy
April 17, 2007, 04:53 AM
Oh no! Bashar was completely guilty for Ashraful's out.He called her captain to take single or doubles etc but did Bashar follow Ashraful?At one stage,We had to need runs and obviously single and doubles was important for us to chase Irish scores.Did bashar do it? The answer is NO.Bashar is totally responsible for his out and he should concentrate on in test cricket not in ODI.

Baundule
April 17, 2007, 05:08 AM
Jabbar, agree with you.

Remember, Ashraful was giving suggestions to Tamim and what the hell Tamim did later! I am sure Ashraful was asking him not to take risks. And instead tamim went for completely unnecessary all-out attack.

The same applies for Ashraful's out. He looked so composed and suddenly he transformed into a stupid to fall in the trap. Bashar on his part could ask him to play sensibly (which he apparently did not do) specially after Ashraful got a life off a similar shot; but Ashraful is the one to blame for this. Blaming Bashar would ignore Ashfools fault.

fwullah
April 17, 2007, 06:04 AM

2 months ago, we were all saying to drop Ashraful for his irresponsibility. Proof: just read this forum.

And now, Ashraful has suddenly become the most responsible player who can't be even blamed for his poor shot?

OZGOD
April 17, 2007, 06:30 AM
I just can't understand how one player can be blamed for another's bad shot.

6alltheway
April 17, 2007, 06:45 AM

i was more angry at ashraful becoz even i knew not to play that shot and im not even a cricketer. that was such a school boy error.

he can see there was a man at long-off why go for that shot.

cricfanz
April 17, 2007, 07:56 AM
on top of hitting it exactly to the spot where the fielder was standing, he hit it exactly where the fielder just missed it 3-4 balls ago.

Reminds you of Dhoni and Monty Panesar, no? Now, only if Ash was as consistent as Dhoni (when dhoni's not this out of form)...

Rubu
April 17, 2007, 07:59 AM
Bashar was completely paranoid about not getting run out. That was ALL going on in his mind. He did not have the game, win or lose or anything else. Watching that portion of the game, I felt like Ash would come to the other end, carry Bashar to his end, and then come back to opposite end to complete a run. RRR was almost 6 at that moment. Dot balls was simply not an option. Even more, Ash did go with the right attitude. He was judging the balls to play the shot. Then, he got completely frustrated by his captain. Mind it, it supposed to be the captain who guides you. When you have to guide the captain who is not willing to even follow, what else we do? Ash is a hothead, we all know that, he likes to play his shots. Making him mad was all he needed to go crazy.

Who do you blame for that? He looked so much in touch on his innings until Bashar came that it seemed like another Eid day. Not to be, because of Bashar.

zahid
April 17, 2007, 08:02 AM
Ash was partly to blame.

He played his cheeky shot twice in the same area - went for 4's.
Tried again ( 3rd ball in a row), and was caught - JUST LIKE the SA Match!

Zobair
April 17, 2007, 08:04 AM
It was solely Ash's fault. He played a similar shot just a couple of balls ago and was nearly out. I don't understand how not taking a single just then caused Ash to completely lose all sense. He was playing well...there was no need to go for extravagant shots at that time even if there were 3 maidens in a row. It was a good wicket to bat on. Ash and the batsmen to follow would have made up for it later. Ash was the in-form batsman and it was his responsibility to see us through. That moment of insanity is something one will not associate with some one like Shahriar Nafees. Nafees, or for that matter Sakib, if he had see off the early period would have taken it upon himself to see us through and eschewed unnecessary shots. There in lies the difference between the two. Bashar was fighting his own demons. He was obviously determined not to lose his wicket to yet another run out. At the very least, Ash could have waited till the end of the over and talked things over with Bashar...or just walked up to Bashar and talked things out right after one of those missed singles.

Rubu
April 17, 2007, 08:47 AM
Cricket is a game of concentration. It is extremely hard to carry on with an innings when you are mad at the person at the opposite end. True, SN or Shakib would be able to do that. But not Ash. It is not in his nature. The captain should know better and know how to handle that. But wait, that part might not be included in the captaincy script that Bashar follows. So, he can't do anything about it.

sadi
April 17, 2007, 09:03 AM
Great post Jobair bhai. It says it all. Just because patience is not in Ash's nature doesn't make it okay for him to throw his wicket and blame it on someone else. Bashar is guilty for a lot of things happening on the field including some poor running between the wickets but Ash's out is completely Ash's fault and noone elses. If our main batsman loses concentration within an over, we have some serious problem.

allrounder
April 17, 2007, 09:15 AM
Ashraful and only Ashraful can be charged for that crime. Earlier he was lucky that it landed on no man's land where two fielders were running for that ball, so after few balls later he makes no mistake and takes the same shot only to give it to the fielder standing there who didn't require to move at all. He did the exact same thing against South Africa. So we can all formulate our own possible explanations but only Ashraful himself can provide the actual reason for that shot.

Possible explanation 1: He was not aware that a fielder positioned there.
Possible explanation 2: He was aware of the fielder and tried to place the ball over or away from the fielder, basically he tried to hit it somewhere else other than that position.
Possible explanation 3: He did not play a controlled measured shot but an instinctive compulsive shot.

sensible
April 17, 2007, 09:24 AM
Cricket is a game of concentration. It is extremely hard to carry on with an innings when you are mad at the person at the opposite end. True, SN or Shakib would be able to do that. But not Ash. It is not in his nature. The captain should know better and know how to handle that. But wait, that part might not be included in the captaincy script that Bashar follows. So, he can't do anything about it.

Is Ash not a professional player? Or the standard of professionalism lower for him? I know he was angry at Bashar. But that's no reason to play a shot like that...that's no reason for a player of his caliber and image on the international arena to lose control.......<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I'm not blaming him alone for the loss. But the responsibility for losing control and playing that shot was his and his alone.<o:p></o:p>

Rubu
April 17, 2007, 09:32 AM
Well, I did not say it was not his fault at all. But I'll give the bulk of the share to Bashar. Watch the replay of his innings if possible. He was playing so sensibly when Tamim was there. What happened suddenly that he went crazy? Of course Ash is guilty not being able to control himself, but you have to think who made him crazy at the first place. None other than the captain who was supposed to guide him. If it were not the captain on the other end who had only one thing in mind "not being run out", that would still be understandable. But that was totally unacceptable behavior from a captain.

Be in the middle, and not be able to sync with the other end, and you'll see how things goes. A cool head would be able to handle it. But we all know Ash is not one of them. It's not something of a characteristic of Ash that grew on that day. How come Bashar did not know what would happen if he kept making 2->1 and 1->0?

Did you see the look he gave to Bashar after he got out? Looked to me, he wanted to through his wicket to give Bashar a lession. Poor Ash, he did not know, lesson is something Bashar cannot learn.

cracky
April 17, 2007, 10:08 AM
well, even the commentators were blaming Bashar for that out. He was pathetically reluctant to take singles, and almost had Ashraful runout in previous ball (it was a clear single, and Bashar were so worried with his 3 runouts out of 6 matches, that he dennied to take that single when Ashraful were at mid crease). Although Ashraful is eventually responsible for his shot, but clearly Bashar doesn't have the ability to guide these young players. Although at the moment I cannot see anyone who can take his place.

I just can't understand how one player can be blamed for another's bad shot.

sadi
April 17, 2007, 10:13 AM
Well, I did not say it was not his fault at all. But I'll give the bulk of the share to Bashar. Watch the replay of his innings if possible. He was playing so sensibly when Tamim was there. What happened suddenly that he went crazy? Of course Ash is guilty not being able to control himself, but you have to think who made him crazy at the first place. None other than the captain who was supposed to guide him. If it were not the captain on the other end who had only one thing in mind "not being run out", that would still be understandable. But that was totally unacceptable behavior from a captain.

Haha funny comments I must say. What made him crazy? It doesn't really matter. If you are a good batsman, nothing will make you crazy in the field. Not sledging, not a slow runner on the other side. Please stop defending him. These kind of blind support doesn't help anyone. Ash has records of throwing it away in the past too. I remember another game against Srilanka where he was playing really sensibly head down and all of a sudden go nuts and played a lofted shot and threw his wickets. It was his fault then, it is his fault now. He is the batsman who played the shot and has to take MOST of the blame. Not anyone else. If anyone fails to see that, I seriously doubt his cricketing knowledge.

Hatebreed
April 17, 2007, 10:21 AM
Today Vaughan made Bell get out by playing the pull shot under pressure. No wonder people think Vaughan and Bashar were seperated at birth.

akabir77
April 17, 2007, 10:39 AM
Ashrafull wanted to see that chicken dance. and he thought he will do so when bashar gets run out while taking a simple run but when bashar refuses to take run he took matter into his hand and got out. that way he was able to see what he wanted to see...

On a serious note I see total break down in the team. I think i saw an angry look to bashar and I am sure ash also gave his peace of mind to tamim too. and bashar looked all day thinking about his sons bday.

mhj007
April 17, 2007, 11:02 AM

it was the combination of both.bashar was AWEFUL with his running between the wicket frustrated ashraful.ashraful also showed that he is not matured enough to handle pressure situation consistantly.
Junior

Baundule
April 17, 2007, 11:20 AM
I dont understand why people are blaming Bashar even for not being interested in taking those risky runs. Tamim was just out and then he tried to avoid another going for some risky runs. He has his problems with running; but Ashraful must be able to live with that. If he got annoyed with that incident and eventually threw away his wicket for that, I must say Ashraful does not qualify to play professional cricket.

Fazal
April 17, 2007, 11:26 AM
No one is praising Bashar here. But is funny how some fans are trying to divert Ash's stupidity and blame Bashar for Ash's out. I have to admit, these spin masters' logic is really funny.

Now here is my counter spin:
Have it occurred to you that it may be the chef's fault who prepared the lunch for Ash? May be Ash was feeling uncomfortable and needed to go to potty. Ash wanted to finish the game quick, but Bashar was not helping him out. And his mad face may be due to his uncomfortable stomach condition, nothing else?

And Ash is matured now? And this is the proof of his maturity?
Give us a break!!!!!

FACT:
Ashraful was out on 22 over (last ball of 21th over) when the score was 102/4 (excluding Ash's wicket)

Ireland was 81/0 after 22 over.

Yes we lost four wickets and Bashar was dragging the innings. But we were still in the game and ahead of Ireland in terms of RR at that time. It was a matter of staying and then hit in the slog overs.

We need to remove our favoritism and need to see it more objective way: and that is regardless how Bad Bashar played, there is nobody but only Ash who is to be blamed 100% for his own stupid out, there is no excuse: it's not Bashar's fault, its not the Chef's fault, its not the Fan's fault, its not the weather's fault, its not Dav's fault, its not Faruk's fault and finally (before any accuse me) it not MY FAULT either.

BANTigress
April 17, 2007, 11:27 AM
Today Vaughan made Bell get out by playing the pull shot under pressure. No wonder people think Vaughan and Bashar were seperated at birth.

yh tru say dey attitude is exactly the same always smiling no matter wat lol... bt i don't think ash's dismissal ws bashar's fault...ash tried for a six bt couldn't datz all cuz he loooooooooooooooooooooves playin shots specially under-pressure lol.

Rubu
April 17, 2007, 11:35 AM
Well, no one is saying that Ash should have done it, or he has nothing to do with it. To me, it was a clear indication from Ash's part to give Bashar a lesson. Something like "you don't want to do it my way, fine, I'll leave you here and will see what you can do".

What is Bashar's fault then? He created that situation. When as a captain, he should make the team a unit, he worked on breaking it. If you do not know how to get the best out of your team, you should not be a captain.

Fazal
April 17, 2007, 11:46 AM
To me, it was a clear indication from Ash's part to give Bashar a lesson. Something like "you don't want to do it my way, fine, I'll leave you here and will see what you can do".

For the sake of Ash, I hope you are not right. Beacuse if what you are saying is true, that portray a very distrubing trend about Ash's maturilty and professionalism i.e. he sacrified his responsibility to the team, the fans and the nation just beacuse he wanted to give Bashar a lesson. Again I hope you are wrong for the sake of Ash fans.

Rubu
April 17, 2007, 11:51 AM
Sorry to say, that is the only interpretation I could come up with from the look he gave to Ha.Ba. after he got out.

I wish someone had a picture of that look.

And yeah, even the best fan of Ash would not bet on his maturity. He is the way he is. Either you leave him out or deal with it. I don't think we can afford to leave him out because of that. And when you make the choice of keeping him, you do your best to deal with it, not push it to the edge.

Russell2k7
April 17, 2007, 11:53 AM
Give Ash a break. If the shot was just 1foot higher it would have cleared for 6 and who knows what would have after then. But the blame is on Bashar bc he is just too lazy, the commentator was making fun of him and they were showing the replay of bashar running. It was pathetic.

Tigers_eye
April 17, 2007, 11:55 AM
Well, no one is saying that Ash should have done it, or he has nothing to do with it. To me, it was a clear indication from Ash's part to give Bashar a lesson. Something like "you don't want to do it my way, fine, I'll leave you here and will see what you can do".
Tell me it ain't so. Can we contact that English guy who has SMS contact with Ash and ask him?

What is Bashar's fault then? He created that situation. When as a captain, he should make the team a unit, he worked on breaking it. If you do not know how to get the best out of your team, you should not be a captain.
he should have walked to Ash and explained to him that he don't want him (ash) or himself out by taking risky runs. I (Bashar) need more time to settle. We can win this thing. That would have had a big impact on Ash.

Russell2k7
April 17, 2007, 11:55 AM
I dont understand why people are blaming Bashar even for not being interested in taking those risky runs. Tamim was just out and then he tried to avoid another going for some risky runs. He has his problems with running; but Ashraful must be able to live with that. If he got annoyed with that incident and eventually threw away his wicket for that, I must say Ashraful does not qualify to play professional cricket.

Great the guy who is actully scores runs for your team doesnt qualify to play pro cricket.

reyme
April 17, 2007, 12:00 PM
Did you see the look he gave to Bashar after he got out? Looked to me, he wanted to through his wicket to give Bashar a lession. Poor Ash, he did not know, lesson is something Bashar cannot learn.

Spot on!

sar2005
April 17, 2007, 12:01 PM
Something like "you don't want to do it my way, fine, I'll leave you here and will see what you can do".

I honestly believe that was not the case. However, if what you are saying is true, we still have a serious, serious problem with Ashraful's attitude. I agree with fazal completely that we were so much in the game at that moment. All we needed a long stable partnership like they two did against AUS in that historical match. One has to understand that Bashar's confidence level was as low as possible and he should gave some time to his poor captain to get settled. For someone's else, you can not throw away your wicket. This is damm poor task to do.

reyme
April 17, 2007, 12:16 PM
he should have walked to Ash and explained to him that he don't want him (ash) or himself out by taking risky runs. I (Bashar) need more time to settle. We can win this thing. That would have had a big impact on Ash.

I like this one. Ashraful dont need a babysitter, he is playing for 6 years, nobody needs to tell him what to do, but in that situation if Bashar would have done that chit chat...... But again the commentators kept saying, Bashar's mind was not in the game. he did try to hit a six and thats how he gets out typically anyways.

Is there something going on inside the team? why the lack of concentration? They had 3 day rest, indian food, playstation, nice hotel, beach volleyball, pretty good crowd support. But still something is missing.......:-/ something you cant find in the carribean!

sadi
April 17, 2007, 12:28 PM
Great post Fazal. Made my day!!!

No batsman throw his wicket away on purpose. Whenever a batsman gets out, most of the time he likes to make excuses for himself. Thats why most of the time a batsman think he is not out eventhough he is plumb in front after given LBW. Same thing happened with Ash. Eventhough he has to take full responsibility for his shot, his look toward Bashar was saying, "If you had taken the single, I wouldn't get out". Not a good excuse buddy. When you score runs, you are one who gets the credit. If you get out playing a shot, you will be the one getting the blame. End of story.

al Furqaan
April 17, 2007, 01:12 PM

exactly...

when did you ever see ashraful get mad at anyone except himself when he plays his many stupid shots???

unfortunately those trying to blame the only batsman who has looked class this entire tourny are being as thick-headed as bashar himself.

grow a brain people...

Sauron
April 17, 2007, 01:21 PM
I watched the game live and a few more times before deleting it from my DVR.

Ash was already very annoyed with the multiple wrong calls and changed calls for runs by Bashar. Ha Ba was playing like a frightened mouse caught in a mouse-trap.

The two preceding deliveries before the fatal one, Bashar got on everyone's nerves ... including the commentators. Ash took out his frustration on the next ball and got out.

I totally agree that a mature batsman should not lose his cool like that. But BD is not a pro team yet.

Our young ones still ride the waves of emotion - you can see it in how their body language changes. As soon as there are a couple of wickets, the fielders start electric performance. As soon as the game starts to get away, the players start to give up.

It is up to the few senior players (e.g. Ha Ba, Rafique et al) to maintain that sense of calm over the team.

The frustration that made Ash throw his wicket away, it is the same core emotion that makes him play those elctrifying innings at times. Ha Ba should have supported him, as opposed to increasing pressure on Ash.

I agree with Rubu, Ash was so angry at Ha Ba ... that was the only heartening part of that out. You could see in Ash's face that his intention was to build an innings but Ha Ba wasn't the partner for it.

Again, I realize that only Ash can be responsible for throwing away his wicket. But Ha Ba pushed him over the edge.

BangladeshFan
April 17, 2007, 02:58 PM
even though at the moment i was so mad at bashar, i opened a thread blaming bashar for ashraful's dismissal. but later on I thought it cant be Bashar's fault , maybe to a little extent but not much.

if u see how asharaful and aftab(nearly every dismissal of aftab) get out, u will see they dont play much half hearted shots, its either a block or a full blooded 4 or 6. If u offer any width, aftab will throw his bat at it, he gives the bowlers very little respect. when botha came up, aftab threw his bat at the very first ball, if he atleast faced a few balls he would have known botha is moving the ball a bit. he was out in a similar fashion against SA and also Sl. bowlers were Ntini and Malinga. first one was width outside off, the other one was a short delivery. In both cases aftab brought his dismissal because of sheer disrespect to the bowlers, he was trying to hit 6s in both cases when he could have just rolled his wrist over and try to hit 4.

similar is the case of ashraful, if he sees it slightly short he tries to hit it for a 6. the bowler was trying to induce him to do exactly that, there was a fine leg and square leg. ash must have noticed it, he is experienced enough. moreover he was almost out trying to do just that, but he didnt learn so he paid for it .

i dont have much to say for bashar, whether he is responsible or not. his place is out of the team not in. captaincy doesnt even come into question.

Murad
April 17, 2007, 03:12 PM
it was his own fault.. if he doesnt wants to take 2 runs. take ones.. it would have been fine.. u cannot blame the other end for ur dismissal...

its ash's problem with temperament..

roaring tigerz
April 18, 2007, 07:38 PM
Joto Dosh Shei Nondo Ghosh! This is not the first time Ashraful has built up the hopes of the nation just to fritter it all away with one injudicious shot. He is not a fresh faced novice anymore. Ashraful has played international cricket for the last 6 years, playing almost 100 internationals.

He tried the same shot a couple of balls ago and almost got caught.There were two men posted at square leg exactly for that shot. Still Ashraful could not control his impulse. This is why for all his talent Ashraful is still a very ordinary batsman.

sadi
April 18, 2007, 07:42 PM
According to Prothom-Alo, Ashraful thought the legside boundary is short and he can hit it for six. Unfortunately he got caught and now he regrets it. I guess our players fail to realize the situation most of the time and can't overcome the temptation. As simple as that.

Sauron
April 19, 2007, 12:24 PM
According to Prothom-Alo, Ashraful thought the legside boundary is short and he can hit it for six. Unfortunately he got caught and now he regrets it. I guess our players fail to realize the situation most of the time and can't overcome the temptation. As simple as that.

Did you expect Ash to say that Ha Ba annoyed him so much that he gave up on taking singles? What Ash said is part of the truth ... he is fessing up to his errors, but he is being gracious to the senior citizen of the team by not telling the full story.

Anyone who has watched the match and saw Ash's facial expressions in that over and after he was out, should not fool themselves about Ha Ba's role in that.

allrounder
April 19, 2007, 02:29 PM
Who wants Ash to hit 6? Why the asking run rate so high that we needed a six that time?

OZGOD
April 20, 2007, 12:57 AM
well, even the commentators were blaming Bashar for that out. He was pathetically reluctant to take singles, and almost had Ashraful runout in previous ball (it was a clear single, and Bashar were so worried with his 3 runouts out of 6 matches, that he dennied to take that single when Ashraful were at mid crease). Although Ashraful is eventually responsible for his shot, but clearly Bashar doesn't have the ability to guide these young players. Although at the moment I cannot see anyone who can take his place.

From what I understand Ashraful has played over a hundred ODIs though - he's a senior player in the team from what I can see.

Shaan
April 20, 2007, 02:57 AM
Ashrafulta je kobe manush hoibo???