PDA

View Full Version : Selecting Captain:The Method

SMHasan
April 18, 2007, 11:19 PM
There are lot of talks about our captain Habibul Bashar. Inspite of his lack of performance in one day cricket he continues to play without the fear of losing his place.

Now the question is which method should any team use to select the captain? There are couple of ways to do it:

1- Select a captain and then select the rest of the players.
2- Select your squad and then pick your captain from that squad.

To me I will always go for the 2nd method which allows me to have the best possible team. I can select the captain from the final squad that means no one is burden to the team. In this method my team is balanced.

On the other hand the first option leaves lot of problems. Just look at the english system where they select the captain first then they select their squad (and thats why Michael Vaughn came to the squad even after having a terrible form like our Bashar). Their captain caused lots of trouble in this WC. In the current cricket world Australia follow the 2nd method. They select their best team first then they pick a captain from it.

According to The Somokal report we are going back to the 2nd method again. Which is a good news.

CricFanBD
April 18, 2007, 11:34 PM
We also followed the first rule for BD team...thats why, Bashar is in the team despite his super horrible, joggonno and lojjazonok performance.

Kabir
April 18, 2007, 11:36 PM
If we go with the 2nd method, I think we have a better chance. Out of all the qualities, a captain needs have the brain to think dynamically. We all know that textbook cricket doesn't work in this level. But what may be necessary is that, we get a captain who can make BOLD decisions. Bashar lacked this quality, and frankly speaking, many captains lack this.

One thing I remember from the SL vs India match, the way Sehwag got out was simply amazing. India was playing amazing at that stage, but STILL Jaya didn't get rid of the first sleep. And he followed the instructions of the bowler for that. I want a captain who can take bold decision like this, and let the bowler do the thinking for himself. Plus, I want the wicket keeper to be able to make some decisions, coz them being behind the stumps give them great insights into the necessary placements.

After looking at all these, given that we go with 2nd method, I'ld go with Mushy. He has the nerves to take bold decisions, and with an 18 YO brain, he has the depth of a 25 YO.

ammark
April 18, 2007, 11:58 PM
If we go with the 2nd method, I think we have a better chance. Out of all the qualities, a captain needs have the brain to think dynamically. We all know that textbook cricket doesn't work in this level. But what may be necessary is that, we get a captain who can make BOLD decisions. Bashar lacked this quality, and frankly speaking, many captains lack this.

One thing I remember from the SL vs India match, the way Sehwag got out was simply amazing. India was playing amazing at that stage, but STILL Jaya didn't get rid of the first sleep. And he followed the instructions of the bowler for that. I want a captain who can take bold decision like this, and let the bowler do the thinking for himself. Plus, I want the wicket keeper to be able to make some decisions, coz them being behind the stumps give them great insights into the necessary placements.

After looking at all these, given that we go with 2nd method, I'ld go with Mushy. He has the nerves to take bold decisions, and with an 18 YO brain, he has the depth of a 25 YO.

Thats old vs new for you in our team. It'd be great if all the bowlers are aggressive, but as has been discussed before, and seen from the last match, Rafique our powerhorse is in fact very defensive with his field settings. I remember chacha complaining on radio or tv once that Rafique tends to want all his fielders saving the boundaries. We need someone to be independent and dynamic in setting fields as a captain.

Kabir
April 19, 2007, 12:14 AM
Thats old vs new for you in our team. It'd be great if all the bowlers are aggressive, but as has been discussed before, and seen from the last match, Rafique our powerhorse is in fact very defensive with his field settings. I remember chacha complaining on radio or tv once that Rafique tends to want all his fielders saving the boundaries. We need someone to be independent and dynamic in setting fields as a captain.

Yes agreed. I'm not being too hypocritical I hope...this is not Bashar bashing, but some constructive arguments :)

But this is the thing. If your bowler is trying to save out boundaries, but giving up singles, then it's your responsibility to tame the bowler. I can't find exactly which thread it was posted, but OZGOD posted samples of two overs. One where Hayden and Clarke were playing. They took 6 singles, and got 6 runs out of it. The other was where Tamim was playing. He defended the whole over, and scored 4 runs with one boundary. So you tell me. Which one's better in such a case?

Of course, it has to do with the opponent's batsmen. But hey, underestimating them will get you results like the one we had against Ireland. As simple as that.

You tell me, which one's more fruitful? Saving the boundaries? Or saving the doubles and singles? Yes our bowlers need to understand that. But what about the captain? He never shows any courage to play around with the fielders and make aggressive field placements.

ammark
April 19, 2007, 12:31 AM
Yes agreed. I'm not being too hypocritical I hope...this is not Bashar bashing, but some constructive arguments :)

But this is the thing. If your bowler is trying to save out boundaries, but giving up singles, then it's your responsibility to tame the bowler. I can't find exactly which thread it was posted, but OZGOD posted samples of two overs. One where Hayden and Clarke were playing. They took 6 singles, and got 6 runs out of it. The other was where Tamim was playing. He defended the whole over, and scored 4 runs with one boundary. So you tell me. Which one's better in such a case?

Of course, it has to do with the opponent's batsmen. But hey, underestimating them will get you results like the one we had against Ireland. As simple as that.

You tell me, which one's more fruitful? Saving the boundaries? Or saving the doubles and singles? Yes our bowlers need to understand that. But what about the captain? He never shows any courage to play around with the fielders and make aggressive field placements.

Hehe, wasnt disagreeing with you Kabir Bhai. I echo your sentiments exactly. Just when you said captain should listen to bowlers, the first thing that came to my mind was Rafique. Ideally our captain should be dynamic on the field but not hyper-sensitive. I'd gladly have tamim defend all over and take the four off the last ball than ease pressure off of him by saving his boundaries and giving him the opportunity to converts 1s into 2s. You frustrate a batsman more by having him not run physically than by letting him take advantage of you. (Unless of course you're the BD batting line up that loves to hit and get out more often than score singles and doubles :-D)

BD-Shardul
April 19, 2007, 03:19 AM
I think captain should be chosen based on the following quality:

1. The smartest player in the team(in terms of playing capability and cricketing knowledge and understanding)
2. Delivers when it matters most: Lead from front
3. Agressive, but logical
4. Never Say Die Attitude
5. Should act in such a way so that he can earn respct from other team members
6. Captain should be model player-he should set the standard for other players
7. Should be the most committed player
8. Ability to encourage other players: Influence
9. should not be authoritarian: should glue the team members to play as team
10.(of least importance) English skill (considering that he will be an international captain)

WarWolf
April 19, 2007, 03:41 AM
I think captain should be chosen based on the following quality:

1. The smartest player in the team(in terms of playing capability and cricketing knowledge and understanding)
2. Delivers when it matters most: Lead from front
3. Agressive, but logical
4. Never Say Die Attitude
5. Should act in such a way so that he can earn respct from other team members
6. Captain should be model player-he should set the standard for other players
7. Should be the most committed player
8. Ability to encourage other players: Influence
9. should not be authoritarian: should glue the team members to play as team
10.(of least importance) English skill (considering that he will be an international captain)

Agreed. But the question is who is the man with all that capabilities in our team?

fai_hasan
April 19, 2007, 04:26 AM
jodi bashar bhai r bodle onno kaoke captain kore work cup e pathato taholeo ki apnara chere kotha bolten? ekhon bashar bhai kisu khelte parlo na dekhe becharar dosh porlo.

fai_hasan
April 19, 2007, 04:26 AM
Agreed. But the question is who is the man with all that capabilities in our team?

no one. I would vote AFTAB. he is good.

ammark
April 19, 2007, 01:22 PM
jodi bashar bhai r bodle onno kaoke captain kore work cup e pathato taholeo ki apnara chere kotha bolten? ekhon bashar bhai kisu khelte parlo na dekhe becharar dosh porlo.

Oboshoi boltam. Bashar to dine raate defensive hoy nai. Tar poor captaincy has been there for the past 4 years. And only currently do we have the most enthusiastic and capable team to consistently play to win. A poor captain has obviously held this team back in this World Cup on its occasions.

cricket_pagol
April 19, 2007, 01:26 PM
Did you guys notice how mushy make minor adjustment to field placing from behind the stump. He is very positive. He is definitely captaincy material.

knightrider357
April 19, 2007, 02:48 PM
Mushfiq makes more changes in the field than Bashar!!!.... BAshar has no idea whats going on... instead of being more attacking in the WI match, he went defensive... vua tactics....
we definitely need a new captain.. asap

SMHasan
April 19, 2007, 02:55 PM
And again we saw how our beloved captain played today. This is pathetic. More pathetic is we don't have any on field game plan.

sar2005
April 19, 2007, 03:49 PM
We MUST should go with option 2 from here. Let's arrange a farewell for Bashar from ODI first and then select our team. We should select our next captain from the squad and definitely performance is key.

Meanwhile thank you Bashar for making us 7th in world cup. Whold think that BD can become 7th when our team left BD for WC. You should be proud of your luck and say good bye to ODI. Thanks again for you service and taking us to a new level.

WarWolf
April 19, 2007, 04:08 PM
Bashar is a man who has nothing to offer in his ODI career. This thing got sure in this world cup. I would definitely go for Razzak as captain. I don't want to ruin Ash by giving him extra pressure and Mash is a bit hot headed as it seems to me. The only option we have is Razzak.

nzfan
April 19, 2007, 04:09 PM
would you really subject ash to having to speak in english at the toss at every match?

ammark
April 20, 2007, 12:43 AM
would you really subject ash to having to speak in english at the toss at every match?

He seems to be at his best under pressure lately. Maybe it'll be a good thing for his english speaking skills :D

Hatebreed
April 20, 2007, 07:17 AM
Mashrafe for captain. Enough said.

mhj007
April 20, 2007, 10:35 AM
:eek: :smug:
Junior

Tigers_eye
April 20, 2007, 12:31 PM
he'll see visions of bad things, would translate to something negative, breed it to the non-superstitious players as well. Will lose the match before stepping in to the field because of the visions he have. Enough said.

Tigers_eye
April 20, 2007, 12:40 PM
If one thinks for the greater good of the team, option 1 in the first post really don't stand a chance. We need the best performing team. best 11 playing against oppositions best 11. We take someone like Bashar (non-performer and at times negative performer) that is handicapping the team itself. What is our goal here? India-Pakistan follows this method cause there is too much politiking going on in there. Captains like Inzi, Habibul over stays in the name of continuity and pulls down the team with weak performances. Old stats don't help anyone. Those are past stats. A tendu at 25 doesnot even come close to a Tendu at 30. Mr. 50 bashar has become Mr. I have no clue how to bat ave 10. Australia takes the #2 option cause their 1st and last priority is winning. Winning solves all issues.

We need to follow the option #2. Pick the 11 first and then chose a captain. many parts of the captaincy can be down in the dressing room and practice field.

fwullah
April 21, 2007, 06:06 AM
We have only one player in the current team who can be the captain at this point in time and that is Mashrafee. Ashraful comes a distant second, perhaps he can be the Vice Captain.

And I am not saying that Mashrafee or Ashraful to go out of the team a year after getting the role of captaincy and vice captaincy - like Rajin, Shahriar Nafees at their roles of vice captaincy.

Anybody else, and we could see a change in the new Captaincy role under a year's time.

cricfanz
April 21, 2007, 06:36 AM
I really want to see Mushy as captain someday, but NOT NOW!! A captain needs to have the respect of all the team members and experienced enough to lead the team. Its okay for Mushy to make field adjustments as a wicketkeeper, but I dont think he can cope with the pressures a captin has to bear. Also, I doubt he has the respect of the team, he's just a boy!

Razzak wouldn't be too bad a choice, other than the fact that he's a second spinner choice in the team and is hardly a permanent fixture in the final 11. I wouldn't enjoy the day with a match on a seamer-friendly pitch, when the captain is sitting out..

My vote is for Shahriar Nafees, but only as a stop-gap measure, till a proper captain can be grown in the team.

SMHasan
April 21, 2007, 09:43 PM
Cricket Board is thinking to make Ash the captain. But to me it is a suicide. Ash got lots of pressure of middle order already and this burden of captaincy? This is gonna make him crazy. We gonna loose him I think.

May be after 3/4 years he might cope with everything but right now I don't think he is mature enough to be a captain.

bapzmania
April 21, 2007, 11:34 PM
making Ash as a captain is not so bold decision...but if they make Mushfiq as a captain is going to be a hot discussion....cuz the guy surely got something....just like Sa did after 2003 worldcup.....but anyway i want to see Ash as a captain...

One World
April 22, 2007, 12:10 AM
Mohammad Ashraful is the blessing for BD cricket. Cardiff and then Carribean world cup. Whenever BD has shown something honourable Ashraful was half the team. He is the best batsman Bangladesh ever produced.
During India match the way he kept Sakib calm was really authentic. His leadership abilities were again proved during SA match. I believe in Ireland match if Habibul was more concerned on winning and making runs than thinking of his fate that why could not we win the toss then we could score 200+ and make Ireland chase and make my bowlers proud again, Ashraful could be the match winner for that too.
Ashraful has not been performing well and was inconsistent, but I believe he has learned a lot and walked a long path through the horizon.
If anyone really has the potential to lead the team thats him. Vice captaincy can go to Mushfik as these two can pair up to some scintillating cricketing decisions in near future.

OZGOD
April 22, 2007, 02:34 AM
My 2c on what a captain needs to have:

1. he needs to have the type of quality and long-term form where he can hold his place in the team, as he will often have to lead by example (eg Steve Tikolo or Tatenda Taibu)
2. he needs to be a long-term selection - you don't want to be changing captains every so often.
3. he needs to be a leader of men, and be able to motivate his teammates to perform to the utmost
4. he needs to be authoritative enough to leave his mark on the team, yet enough of a team player to solicit views from his senior players - but he has to be in charge at the end
5. he needs to be calm and composed under the pressure of raised expectations (and there will certainly be increased expectations from the country and the world after this performance in the WC)

Ideally the selection of a captain is something that is evaluated over a long period of time, and a number of candidates should have already been identified. It's like managing a company - you don't decide who the CEO will be on a whim. Who is the VC of the side currently?

BD-Shardul
April 22, 2007, 05:03 AM
My 2c on what a captain needs to have:

1. he needs to have the type of quality and long-term form where he can hold his place in the team, as he will often have to lead by example (eg Steve Tikolo or Tatenda Taibu)
2. he needs to be a long-term selection - you don't want to be changing captains every so often.
3. he needs to be a leader of men, and be able to motivate his teammates to perform to the utmost
4. he needs to be authoritative enough to leave his mark on the team, yet enough of a team player to solicit views from his senior players - but he has to be in charge at the end
5. he needs to be calm and composed under the pressure of raised expectations (and there will certainly be increased expectations from the country and the world after this performance in the WC)

Ideally the selection of a captain is something that is evaluated over a long period of time, and a number of candidates should have already been identified. It's like managing a company - you don't decide who the CEO will be on a whim. Who is the VC of the side currently?

OZGOD, Can you nominate a player from the current Bangladeshi side who fills all the criteria?

oporajeyo_bangla
April 22, 2007, 09:29 AM
Who is the VC of the side currently?

The current VC is Shahriar Nafees, who is struggling for form at the moment. Last year, we all thought he would make a good captain. But now his place isn't even sure in the team. I would say Mashrafe Mortaza would be a good captain. He's inexperienced compared to some of the rest, but I think he has more maturity than Ashraful (who appears to be the leading candidate).

Hatebreed
April 22, 2007, 09:46 AM
he'll see visions of bad things, would translate to something negative, breed it to the non-superstitious players as well. Will lose the match before stepping in to the field because of the visions he have. Enough said.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on a dodgy article by Utpol Shuvro. Enough said.

habfreak
April 22, 2007, 09:53 AM
in 2011...Sakib or Mushfiq for captain.
but Bashar is not gonna last that long...so let's go to our only consistant performer who seems to have captaincy material...Mashrafe!
It's about time to got over the myth that pace bowlers can't be captains!

OZGOD
April 22, 2007, 11:44 AM
OZGOD, Can you nominate a player from the current Bangladeshi side who fills all the criteria?

I don't know the team well enough, unfortunately. Who do you guys think would suit the criteria?

Kabir
April 22, 2007, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on a dodgy article by Utpol Shuvro. Enough said.

Arr kichu koilam na. Enough said.

Kabir
April 22, 2007, 12:52 PM
I don't know the team well enough, unfortunately. Who do you guys think would suit the criteria?

All the criteria you mentioned about are important, but may not be present in the Bangladeshi players at the moment. The biggest and most difficult one is, consistency. As a new side, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand how inconsistent we are.

As far as I can see, the player that would fit your criteria is Mushfiqur Rahim...if not completely, he will at least fulfill most of the needs you outlined. But, he ahs only played for less than 4 months in this side. He is already gaining the momentum. I would say, if we wait for a year or so, he will be the best choice for captaincy. And as for definite inclusion, have you seen any team go without a wicket keeper? :)

If Mushfiqur Rahim doesn't fit the criteria, the second choice will be Ashraful. But I fear, he's not as consistent, and putting extra pressure on his tiny brain may cause some serious explosion.

AsifTheManRahman
April 22, 2007, 03:16 PM
I think the BCB has made a good decision retaining Bashar as captain for the ODI series against India. We will have enough time later in the year to pick someone more suitable, so there was no need to make a rash decision right after a successful world cup campaign.

Going forward, I really think we should give Tushar Imran a few more chances. The guy's been scoring like crazy in the A team, even under the pressure that comes with captaincy. Give him ten games at a stretch, let him not worry about his place in the team. He may just turn out to be the ideal solution to our captaincy problem.

About the future, given that Mushy doesn't lose his place in the team, I do see him captaining Bangladesh one day. He seems to be a great motivator and also seems to make an aweful lot of field placements. Besides, he's had experience leading an international team before.

However, I won't be surprised if Ashraful becomes captain one day, and a successful one at that. He may not be ready now, but I suspect he will be in the years to come. Not only does he seem to be showing a lot of promise with the bat lately (it's too early to say anything about his batting anyways - just this one good tournament doesn't really tell you much), but it looks like all his experience is finally paying off. I don't know if any of you noticed this, but during the game against Ireland, there was this time when he walked up to Tamim and made a gesture with his wrist, indicating to him to watch out for the slower ball; next ball, the bowler runs in, and guess what - Tamim waits, waits and swings at it and the ball clears the in-field and goes straight down the ground for four. So all in all, there have been quite a few instances in this world cup where Ashraful has shown that he can read the bowlers even before they let go of the ball and can come to correct conclusions based on field placements. He really seems to be able to evaluate situations better, and I'm sure all that has come with the 100 ODI's that he's played.

SMHasan
April 22, 2007, 03:31 PM
I think the BCB has made a good decision retaining Bashar as captain for the ODI series against India. We will have enough time later in the year to pick someone more suitable, so there was no need to make a rash decision right after a successful world cup campaign.

Going forward, I really think we should give Tushar Imran a few more chances. The guy's been scoring like crazy in the A team, even under the pressure that comes with captaincy. Give him ten games at a stretch, let him not worry about his place in the team. He may just turn out to be the ideal solution to our captaincy problem.

About the future, given that Mushy doesn't lose his place in the team, I do see him captaining Bangladesh one day. He seems to be a great motivator and also seems to make an aweful lot of field placements. Besides, he's had experience leading an international team before.

However, I won't be surprised if Ashraful becomes captain one day, and a successful one at that. He may not be ready now, but I suspect he will be in the years to come. Not only does he seem to be showing a lot of promise with the bat lately (it's too early to say anything about his batting anyways - just this one good tournament doesn't really tell you much), but it looks like all his experience is finally paying off. I don't know if any of you noticed this, but during the game against Ireland, there was this time when he walked up to Tamim and made a gesture with his wrist, indicating to him to watch out for the slower ball; next ball, the bowler runs in, and guess what - Tamim waits, waits and swings at it and the ball clears the in-field and goes straight down the ground for four. So all in all, there have been quite a few instances in this world cup where Ashraful has shown that he can read the bowlers even before they let go of the ball and can come to correct conclusions based on field placements. He really seems to be able to evaluate situations better, and I'm sure all that has come with the 100 ODI's that he's played.

I seriously doubt whether we will be able to win any match in the series against India with Habubul's captaincy. Simply we will be wasting some of our chances against this new look Indian team.

As for Ashraful- well he got a brilliant eye for sure. He can read any bowler with the finest eye of all. Where our batsmen struggled against genuine fast bowling he never struggled. Always took them easily. Yet he is the predator of himself.

AsifTheManRahman
April 22, 2007, 03:36 PM
I seriously doubt whether we will be able to win any match in the series against India with Habubul's captaincy. Simply we will be wasting some of our chances against this new look Indian team.

yes, but then again, we don't have too many options in the short run, do we? who would you pick as captain for this odi side?

As for Ashraful- well he got a brilliant eye for sure. He can read any bowler with the finest eye of all. Where our batsmen struggled against genuine fast bowling he never struggled. Always took them easily. Yet he is the predator of himself.

yes, he is the predator now. however, maybe, just maybe he won't be seven years from now.

SMHasan
April 22, 2007, 09:02 PM
Todays Prothom-Alo says Ash is the main candidate to be the captain of one day side if Habibul doesn't make it. BCB said they can't pick the captain until they got the final squad- which is a good sign. They are walking towards the 2nd method!

I am a bit worried becuase Habibul won't make it to the one day side with his current form thus they are gonna pick Ash as captain. This is a gaamble, Ash might fail or he is gonna play some brilliant innings. But with Habibul loosing all 3 ODIs or with Ash winning 1/2 matches- I am gonna for Ash. Although I have a doubt over his leadership skills. To me he is still a 17 years old boy!

Kabir
April 22, 2007, 09:20 PM
You're wrong about that Hasan. To us, Ashraful may look like a kid, but within the team, he can always make an impact. He's done that very recently with his dance of joy. Don't forget he is also a captain for his team in National league, and leadership is a quality that he does possess. Plus, this guy isn't scared of trying things, starting from playing difficult shots, to singing when asked to on TV. This really needs some bravery, and Ashraful has that. Don't be fooled with his baby face...coz it's just a camouflage.

SMHasan
April 22, 2007, 09:26 PM
You're wrong about that Hasan. To us, Ashraful may look like a kid, but within the team, he can always make an impact. He's done that very recently with his dance of joy. Don't forget he is also a captain for his team in National league, and leadership is a quality that he does possess. Plus, this guy isn't scared of trying things, starting from playing difficult shots, to singing when asked to on TV. This really needs some bravery, and Ashraful has that. Don't be fooled with his baby face...coz it's just a camouflage.

I wll be more than happy if I am wrong in this case. We need a good captain and also need an explosive Ash. But still I have a doubt.

Kabir
April 22, 2007, 09:30 PM
I wll be more than happy if I am wrong in this case. We need a good captain and also need an explosive Ash. But still I have a doubt.

Buddy, we'll have our doubts until the new captain actually plays a good number of matches as a captain. Before then, it's all up in the air, and the captain has to prove it to everyone.

Remember the old Bashar? He used to be a world class batsman. And with time, he changed into a batsman that even the para-level team will think twice before taking.

BD Tigers
April 22, 2007, 09:37 PM
Isnt it the same Ash who was dropped in the tournament just before the WC and now he will be the captain.

And Kabir, u r saying Bashar is a para level player now? In ODI i can understand but in Test, he is still the BEST!!!

cricman
April 22, 2007, 09:42 PM
Isnt it the same Ash who was dropped in the tournament just before the WC and now he will be the captain.

And Kabir, u r saying Bashar is a para level player now? In ODI i can understand but in Test, he is still the BEST!!!

It's debatable but, Ash is the best player in both forms of the game and Ashraful ODI Batsmen < Ashraful Test Batsmen

TheWatcher
April 22, 2007, 10:07 PM
I think Ashraful does have experience and cricketing brain to lead Bangladesh, but he still lacks big time in self confidence. For example- he inserted Sonargaon to bat first (In the match against Biman, I believe) on a Mirpur wicket because some senior player in his team told him to do so, even though Ashraful felt the wicket would be seaming friendly when he went for the toss (the result was disastrous for Sonargaon).

I think BCB should keep faith in SN (remember what McInnes said about him ?). If it was upto me, I would drop him down in the batting order at #3 or #4 position, and see how he does there (since he plays spin and pace equally well, he should do better from those positions). For opening, I would send Mushfiq with Tamim for the upcoming series.

cricman
April 22, 2007, 10:11 PM
I think Ashraful does have experience and cricketing brain to lead Bangladesh, but he still lacks big time in self confidence. For example- he inserted Sonargaon to bat first (In the match against Biman, I believe) on a Mirpur wicket because some senior player in his team told him to do so, even though Ashraful felt the wicket would be seaming friendly when he went for the toss (the result was disastrous for Sonargaon).

He's the senior player if he becomes captain only second to Rafique who may not play longer and whenever Habibul wins a toss he sends them in anyway.

TheWatcher
April 22, 2007, 10:21 PM
He's the senior player if he becomes captain only second to Rafique who may not play longer and whenever Habibul wins a toss he sends them in anyway.
The point is Ashraful should have used his own judgement in that situation regardless whatever that senior player (Rokon, Rafique, whoever) told him, by not doing so he showed a lack of self confidence.

cricman
April 22, 2007, 10:28 PM
The point is Ashraful should have used his own judgement in that situation, not doing so he showed a lack of self confidence.

I'm sure he's learned from that, I just don't know why people are so hesitant to give him the opportunity to be Captain. With Ash the term "Respectable Defeat" is not in his brain with Shahriar Nafees I'm not so sure if SN has that mentality.

SMHasan
April 22, 2007, 10:30 PM
Just wondering where are those people who were calling for Ash's head few months ago? I know I can recognize some of them, even here in this thread.

People have no patience trust me. Shame on those who called for Ash's head and now they want Ash as the captain. I always supported Ash and beleive that he is the best we have ever produced.

On another note I still believe SN is the right person for the ODI captaincy right now. I dont know what will bring him in the squad after his current WC form. Give him some time and he will be back no doubt.

Kabir
April 22, 2007, 10:32 PM

I didn't make any specific comments for Tests and ODIs. But earlier I did make a comment about dropping Bashar out of the test team. Some of our members wanted head for saying that! :)

You're right about Ash's performance, coz he's not consistent at all. And I was only referring to his leadership qualities, nothing more than that.

akabir77
April 22, 2007, 10:41 PM
Fastest way to make ash's carrier shot is to make him captain. We don't want show any patience with him as he performs twice in a year. what will happen to captain ash when he performs twice in year?

Please his shake and Bangladesh's shake don't make him captain.

TheWatcher
April 22, 2007, 10:43 PM
I just don't know why people are so hesitant to give him the opportunity to be Captain.
I think most of the people are hesitant because Ash repeadately admitted in the past that he does not handle pressure well and captaincy adds lots of pressure on a player (keep in mind that captaining the national team, in this respect, is nothing like captaining a domestic side).

kalpurush
April 24, 2007, 01:48 PM
I want the wicket keeper to be able to make some decisions, coz them being behind the stumps give them great insights into the necessary placements.

...spot on!:-D