PDA

View Full Version : Australian team is "more or less on auto pilot." says Pointing

stuge
April 19, 2007, 05:10 AM
In Ricky Ponting's own words, the current Australian team is "more or less on auto pilot." He said, "The guys are professionals, every one knows his job and we just go out there and do it." Australia has won back-to-back ICC Cricket World Cups, in 1999 and 2003, and the team is in no mood to give it away.

In this interview, Ponting talks about his team's chances in the West Indies.

Q: There doesn't seem to be much competition for you right now...
A: That's not our style and we never think that way. Remember we lost to Bangladesh! It's a funny old game out there and it is full of surprises. But yes, when we are playing at the top of our game - and that seems to be happening right now - it will require a very special effort to beat us.

Q: What do you mean by a 'special effort'?
A: I mean the other guys have to do something extraordinary to beat us. Like the South Africans did when they chased down a score of 400 plus. Now, that's incredible. We never give up and the opposition has to be in the game hundred per cent all the time to run us close.

Q: Don't you think the slow nature of pitches in West Indies might suit your opponents a bit more?
A: That's the beauty of our team. We have won everywhere. We did extremely well in the ICC Champions Trophy in India where the wickets were difficult, we have done well overall in the sub-continent, we have won in the West Indies, in England... We pride ourselves on this fact.

Q: Critics also say that the Australian side is ageing...
A: Dad's Army and all that stuff. Yeah, I have heard about it all but what matters is the performance. If my bowler is 40 years old and he gets me five for 20 every match, no problem.

Q: Does the tag of defending champions put extra pressure on you?
A: There's always pressure. It's about how you look at things. For some, it can be a pressure thing and for some, it can be a motivating aspect. We like to look at the positive side of the things.

Q: You seem to have found a great one-day batsman in Mike Hussey...
A: Yeah, he's been sensational in recent times. He is a great athlete and he's been doing a great job for us. Hope he continues in the West Indies.

http://cricketworldcup.indya.com/DisplayArticleDetails.asp?xf=interviews/Cricket/2007/February/News_20070208_4

zahid
April 19, 2007, 05:33 AM
They are on Auto-pilot?

Manualey gelo aro Dangerous hoibo era!

fai_hasan
April 19, 2007, 06:53 AM
auto pilot na chai. oderke work cup theke ban kore dewa uchit. ar kono team re to kheltei ditese na.

pagol-chagol
April 19, 2007, 07:05 AM
Autopilot? So is Bangladesh.

OZGOD
April 20, 2007, 12:58 AM
He means that he doesn't have to do much in terms of motivating, focusing or guiding the team - they all know what they have to do, it's just a matter of executing it now.

soccer20re
April 20, 2007, 01:03 AM
Ok.Ok. What has Pilot done now?!

i_shoaib
April 20, 2007, 02:10 AM
As Ponting says, Australia maybe on Auto Pilot at the moment but inshallah if we do meet them in the final on the 28th we will make sure that they will crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:waiting:

tiger_2007
April 20, 2007, 07:11 PM
Only, Srilanka is the team who will beat Australia in the final. That's what I do feel at this time (Hopefully, they won't take NZ lightly in semi-final).

Farhad
April 20, 2007, 07:26 PM
Why bring this up? Why now? The article was written in February 8th.... I bet this last month has just strengthened his belief. And why not? Theyre an amazing team...

Hatebreed
April 20, 2007, 07:40 PM
Whatever Ponting says is true, no matter how hard that is to accept. Like John Wright said, Australia walks Ponting's talk.

gatekeeper
April 21, 2007, 12:31 AM
Ponting's comments may seem arrogant to some people but can anyone honestly disagree with him?

OZGOD
April 21, 2007, 01:52 AM
What part of what he said above was arrogant, though? He expressed confidence in his team, he called for some caution and proportion when he mentioned the loss to BD, he gave credit to the Jaapies for chasing down 400-odd and he said we've won on all surfaces - which we have. He didn't put down any team, he just talked about his confidence in the team he's captaining. So what part of it was arrogant?

gatekeeper
April 21, 2007, 02:27 AM
What part of what he said above was arrogant, though? He expressed confidence in his team, he called for some caution and proportion when he mentioned the loss to BD, he gave credit to the Jaapies for chasing down 400-odd and he said we've won on all surfaces - which we have. He didn't put down any team, he just talked about his confidence in the team he's captaining. So what part of it was arrogant?

The very procalamtion that a team in on auto pilot (especially when you take it out of context) may seem arrogant to some (not all).

OZGOD
April 21, 2007, 03:13 AM
The very procalamtion that a team in on auto pilot (especially when you take it out of context) may seem arrogant to some (not all).

Maybe I interpreted it differently, but he was saying that he has a mature side who are all committed to doing the job - much like the Ashes. You don't need to do much of a job motivating and leading a team that knows what needs to be done and is focused on achieving that.

Rabz
April 21, 2007, 05:45 AM
Auto or manual..who cares...
the Ozies are rocking with some style...
till some other team can show some serious resistance to thier dominance, everyone needs to shut up.
and plz for god's sake, dont tell me about the 0-3 loss to NZ in NZ just before wc, with Australia minus thier few major players. it was more like a warm up to them.

they know how to perform when and where it really matters.

if Australia is number 1 team, the next team below them should be ranked as no.4
cuz there is no genius team no 2 and 3, who can challenge them.

Farhad
April 21, 2007, 12:50 PM

I dont get it. Who said it was arrogant? Cuz all i see above is people agreeing with him:-/. Gatekeepers got it right. It really might seem arrogant to some people to actually say that any team has to play at a 100% to beat their team, but in this case, Ponting is just saying it like it is. Being arrogant doesnt necessarily mean being untruthful. He WAS truthful, and he WAS arrogant.

BangladeshFan
April 21, 2007, 04:24 PM
australia can turn it on when it matters, they showed it in last 3 world cups as well.

but i am glad that he mentioned bangladesh :) though then he added "It's a funny old game out there and it is full of surprises". well the surprise doesnt come for kenya or zimbabwe, it comes for bangladesh. Bd also ran them close in Fatullah test match, u cant see australia losing a test match to many teams, can u ? and now we knocked out India and humbled SA who is supposed to be the best side(according to ICC ranking).

Anyway looking forward for the autopilot to crash and hopefully against Sl, the only asian hope now :D

Farhad
April 21, 2007, 05:34 PM
australia can turn it on when it matters, they showed it in last 3 world cups as well.

but i am glad that he mentioned bangladesh :) though then he added "It's a funny old game out there and it is full of surprises". well the surprise doesnt come for kenya or zimbabwe, it comes for bangladesh. Bd also ran them close in Fatullah test match, u cant see australia losing a test match to many teams, can u ? and now we knocked out India and humbled SA who is supposed to be the best side(according to ICC ranking).

Anyway looking forward for the autopilot to crash and hopefully against Sl, the only asian hope now :D

All i want is a good, close match in the final

bengaltiger
April 21, 2007, 05:46 PM
hehe a perfect attitude to back up the perfect team. i like pointing's words.

Farhad
April 21, 2007, 06:02 PM
What I dont get is how everybody seems to say "Pointing". Its kind of interesting really....Archetype maybe?

Xavier
April 21, 2007, 06:02 PM
Deleted.

Protic
April 21, 2007, 09:32 PM
They have the right to be arroagant..eh :\
GO SRI LANKA !!!!

ialbd
April 21, 2007, 09:50 PM
heh.... Ponting and his cocky interviews....

cant bad mouth him, he shows it equally in the field.....

cricman
April 21, 2007, 10:02 PM
All it Takes is 1 Bad day and SA have the fire power to chase any target down in the semis and in the Finals, they'll face Bond or Murali, Vass and Malinga. Dilshan has stolen a game from Australia with his superb fielding. With all that said He's probably right and Gilly is a Ticking time bomb waiting to explode.