PDA

View Full Version : Mission Accomplished...or not?

al Furqaan
April 19, 2007, 04:49 PM
was the 2007 world cup a success or a failure?

abdulw11
April 19, 2007, 04:52 PM
A success for sure.

If us fans were offered 7th place in the Super 8s, before the World Cup, we would have taken it.

al Furqaan
April 19, 2007, 04:54 PM
A success for sure.

If us fans were offered 7th place in the Super 8s, before the World Cup, we would have taken it.

yep...but we still had major problems...namely batting.

abdulw11
April 19, 2007, 04:58 PM
yep...but we still had major problems...namely batting.

True, but I think it is better to have these problems whilst enjoying an extended World Cup, then having none at all, sitting back home.

Glad you added a poll, was gonna request one.

ialbd
April 19, 2007, 05:03 PM
went for option 3 >>> too obvious....

Sauron
April 19, 2007, 05:55 PM
yep. Too obvious. I voted for the 3rd option as well.

Congrats to the team.

shane2k
April 19, 2007, 06:08 PM
batting man batting....
When you look at the scoreboard our top order looks like "kolur bolod"
When u look at our bowlers' stat and batting stat they r the true heros

Russell2k7
April 19, 2007, 07:31 PM
Yep batting is too frazile. Need to improve on batting.

nzfan
April 19, 2007, 07:47 PM
just you wait
you should be looking forward to the next 4 years
players like ash and mashrafe will be approaching their middle age in cricket etc
i expect the next 4 years to be an amazing time for bangladeshi cricket
such as winning their first test match against an oppostion other than zimbabwe

Stumped
April 19, 2007, 07:53 PM
i think they exceeded expectations by going through the first round. This is their first major world cup where they have come into it with hope. They have come along way from where they first started. Yes there are some places that need irnoning out but in time, experience and when thier confidence grows some more it will happen. There will always be ups and downs but at the end of the day I am extreamly proud of all the boys and wish them a safe trip home when they fly back in a few days and enjoy thier families which im sure they are all missing a great deal!

AsifTheManRahman
April 19, 2007, 08:03 PM
yep, option 3 was pretty obvious, and it doesn't take anything away from the players either.

capslock
April 19, 2007, 08:04 PM
They said they would upset either India or Sri Lanka and get to the Super 8's, and they did it.

Hatebreed
April 19, 2007, 08:14 PM
Definitely mission accomplished. I expected us to reach super 8, which they did, and they beat SA on top of that, so that's a big bonus. However, I can't quite easily accept our defeat to Ireland. Our batting overall has been below par and very inconsistent. Bashar's weak captaincy continues to frustrate me; his own form has been very poor. These things need to be sorted out soon. On the whole, it's been a great tournament for us. We know we are capable of beating stronger sides, we just need to make a habit of it.

pocha
April 19, 2007, 10:54 PM
Our bowlers accomplished their mission, batsmen failed terribly, so I think we have alot to learn. I would have liked to see the gap between us and the top eight closing, there were two bright sparks surrounded by major lull of darkness. I would have voted yes if we showed some fight after SA match, but they dissapointed me towards the end. So I am left confused and wonderng about the progress that we made till SA match was lost at the end. And mind you the teams we played after the SA match were Eng, IRE and WI - the other bottom most team in this world cup and against whom we thought we can win.

Kabir
April 19, 2007, 11:00 PM
Accomplished, but major problems still exist. I didn't expect these problems to just disappear simply coz we're in super 8s, but I did expect better performance.

We should arrange a 5 ODI tournament with Ireland, and play their players on bouncy wicket. And I wouldn't mind if BD plays another year with weaker teams on bouncy wicket. That's an area that needs some major effort.

CricFanBD
April 19, 2007, 11:26 PM
Accomplished in one way (we go to the Super 8)....but not in many ways:
1) Our top order's temperment and maturity;
2) Bashar's .....captaincy;
3) Lost against Ireland....this defeat will never be healed.

gatekeeper
April 19, 2007, 11:34 PM
The very fact that some of us are not happy with the 7th position says a lot. Our expectation is much higher now and that is because we finally have a team that can compete with the best.

al Furqaan
April 20, 2007, 12:05 AM
The very fact that some of us are not happy with the 7th position says a lot. Our expectation is much higher now and that is because we finally have a team that can compete with the best.

absolutely spot on...i have been saying this for the past 3 years...

WarWolf
April 20, 2007, 05:09 AM
The inital mission was to beat either India or Srilanka and move to super 8. We did it in style. In super 8, we have beated SA. So the mission is completely accomplished.

Actually the mission was to prove that we are coming as a rising cricketing nation and to announce that we are coming so fast. We did it in our own style.

Yet we need to improve in several sections. The most important sections that needs extra attention is our batting. We need to improve a lot here. We also need a good attacking captain. There should be a position change here before the India series.

We also need good bouncy fast wickets all over our country. The main reason that we failed in Barbados is the fast and bouncy wicket.

Zobair
April 20, 2007, 06:44 AM
As far as the world cup is concerned, mission is completely accomplished, because we have tested our youngsters against the best in a high stakes tournament and come to a definite conclusion that we have what it takes to become the best. The identified issues pale in comparison and will be tackled in due time.

Alien
April 20, 2007, 07:00 AM
Bangladesh should overcome the following problem by next WC to improve:

1) Find a new fast bowler who can be 3rd bowler for Bangladesh. Not just some Tom, Dick and Harry but proper skilled professional fast bowler like Mashrafe or Rasel. Having 2 fast bowler (not to mention Rasel doesn't have much pace) and rest leg spinners isn't a very good combination. That's the problem we faced in hard bouncy pitches when rock hard pitches don't provide proper platform for good spin. Mashrafe and Rasel can only bowl 20 overs, the rest 30 overs, we'll get belted around the stadium. Just like last match.

2) Improve batting. This includes batsmen getting used to varying pitch condition and be dominant in every kind of pitch, not just slow pitches. Get rid of inconsistent ones if necessary. This includes Ashraful if needed.

3) Improve fielding. Our players probably have the worst level of physical fitness in the tournament (excluding amateur teams like Bermuda and others). This is obvious during fielding when player's weakness is obvious when they throw the ball.

Fazal
April 20, 2007, 09:49 AM
Mission Accomplished...or not?

It all depends what was the mission in the first place. And calling Mission Accomplished too early may bite you back later.

Remeber this?

http://www.theyoungturks.com/images/bush1.jpg

if the mission was to go to 2nd round, then Yes. If the mission was constant improvement ? I am not sure about that.
<!-- END TEMPLATE: navbar_link -->

al Furqaan
April 20, 2007, 10:42 AM
fazal bhai...thats exactly what i was picturing when i made the title, lol

Mahmood
April 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
Reaching 2nd round and coming 7th was beyond my expectations. This was my greatest WC, thanks Bangladesh team.

allrounder
April 20, 2007, 12:12 PM
If we didn;t win that miracle against South Africa, it would have been a disastrous WC for Bangladesh.

GoldenAsif
April 20, 2007, 12:52 PM
I voted for no.1

1. We beat our arrogant neighour to the west which was the only country never to have played a test match with us in their country, and this contributed to their elimination from the tournament. lol.

2. We qualified for the super-8s.

3. We defeated what was then the no.1 side in the world (who knows they could even win the cup still, though the clear favourites are Australia, and then maybe Sri Lanka).

4. We showed that we have a good side that with more experience will grow and get even better.

5. We played good cricket even in games which we lost such as against England and won respect and admiration.

I enjoyed this world cup and I enjoyed seeing the Indians and Pakis going out almost as much as I enjoyed seeing BD win.

:)

Xavier
April 21, 2007, 07:07 AM
Everybody said it all better than I could... before the world cup I thought that the Bangladeshi side was too young and unexperienced but still they could get glorious wins on India and South Africa... Ashraful was back at his best, Razzak and Saqibul were excellent and Mushfiqur showed he's someone to rely on.
The future is bright and there's good chance for more success in next series against India!

battye
April 21, 2007, 09:05 AM
Yes, all the way.

Bangladesh proved to the world that they are deserving of a place among crickets elite. Wins against India and South Africa certainly silenced a lot of critics.

Come 2011, Bangladesh could very well make it through to the semi finals, maybe even the final.

After such a successful World Cup campaign, they need now to start performing consistently in Tests, starting with a win against India in the upcoming series.

mhj007
April 21, 2007, 11:08 AM
a success...no doubt.but we also had some problems to be solved:
1.habibul bashar's problem-both his batting and captaincy.also fielding.
2.finding next captain,as shahriar failed big time as a batsman.he is out of form.
3.our batting-a big disapointment,its so much inconsistant.
4.our coach-quitting and finding new coach.
5.beaten by ireland.

so....
Junior

Protic
April 21, 2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah accomplished.. :) Ireland game wasnt acceptable though..but its a GAME.

Imteaz
April 23, 2007, 05:25 AM
Mission is Accomplished But Vision Should be Changed Now.

Fazal
April 23, 2007, 11:13 AM
Mission is Accomplished But Vision Should be Changed Now.

yes. I think its time to check the eyes and take new high powered glass.

BonBon
April 23, 2007, 12:13 PM
And put a big "Mission Accomplished" poster in our next press conferences.. (or may be put "Mission Accomplished" armbands in the future games.

The point: junk threads springing up like toadstools. Cant blame the thread opener..this is classic 'minnow' mentality and it takes time to go away:sick:

yes. I think its time to check the eyes and take new high powered glass.

afrina
April 23, 2007, 12:54 PM
Need to check the weak points and try to follow up properly.

BangladeshCricket
April 23, 2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah accomplished.. :) Ireland game wasnt acceptable though..but its a GAME.
loss against IRE was a blow to our over optimism and our failure/lack of temperment and cricket knowledge development. Our batters are immature and playing school boyish cricket against top teams even with IRE. That also revealed that mission just started to make them solid enough to play good against good teams.

fai_hasan
April 23, 2007, 01:59 PM
onek kisu diyese bangladesh, tobe aro kisuta dite parto.

ami onek happy, karon ami duita match shuru howar agei bolsilam Bangladesh jitbe, keo bissash kore nai. kintu jitar pore keo ar amake mone rakhlo na. ar gula to herei gelam. tobe aro duita match jitte partam jodi last tinta khelai oi morar pitch e na hoto.

Baundule
April 24, 2007, 03:15 AM
ami onek happy, karon ami duita match shuru howar agei bolsilam Bangladesh jitbe,

Baki match guloy Bangladesh jitbe, eta na bolar jonno apnar jorimana howa uchit. apnar jonnoi choromvabe harlam.