PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Lara Retires From International Cricket

SMHasan
April 19, 2007, 05:01 PM
Brian Lara has retired from all level of cricket. This announcement came as a surprise one just after the match against Bangladesh.

Cricinfo writes:
West Indies captain Brian Lara has announced his retirement from international cricket. "I have told my board and my players about it,", he said at the fag end of the press conference following the hosts' first win in the Super Eights in Barbados.
Lara had earlier announced that that Saturday's match against England would be his lat one-day game.

BanCricFan
April 19, 2007, 05:22 PM
A living legend, indeed! One of the very best!

Might see great Tendulkar also calling quits soon. These two has given so much for so long to all cricket lovers!

Hats off to you, Sir Brian Charles Lara!

israr
April 19, 2007, 05:30 PM
Lara, please don't go! I doubt whether I'll see again any other genius or a living legend play international cricket during my lifetime!
Very emotional moment for the whole of world cricket!

Sovik
April 19, 2007, 05:53 PM
West Indies captain Brian Lara has announced his retirement from international cricket. "I have given this extensive consideration. I just want everybody to know that on Saturday I am bidding farewell to international cricket as a player," he said at the fag end of the press conference following the hosts' first win in the Super Eights in Barbados.

Source (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/291504.html)

Sovik
April 19, 2007, 05:58 PM
i was never so sad. i thought he will be playing in test cricket for few more years. its been 12 years i have been a west indian fan and thats because of lara.

can't really express my feelings.

shane2k
April 19, 2007, 06:06 PM
way past about time...

CricFanBD
April 19, 2007, 06:10 PM
Jokhon theke cricket khela follow kori...tokhon thekei Lara amar kache Star player...Lara matro khele shuru koreche...kintu sob somoy mone hoto je Lara khub boromaper cricketer...amar ei chinta ta kunodin o dhakka khai ni...ei biday bele o na...jokhon vabi Lara r khelbe na...buker modhe kemon jani shobdo hoy...chok e kichuta japsha dheki...ei ekjon player ke ghire ii amar sobcheye besi cricket bishohok shriti jome aache...

Amar baba khub ii cricket pagol....BD r khela hole to kothai nei...Baba ke maje maje nofol namaj porte dhektam...jate BD jite...gotokal jokhon Baba ke jigges korlam BD vs WI nie...Baba bollo: Aaj BD na jitle o tar kuno dukko thakbe na...Lara r 2 ti match khelbe...kichu ta shomman nie jak...koto boro maper player ...otocho ki shommana tai na take Team mate ra dhekalo ei WC e...

Asole ii Lara r ki r ektu somman paoa uchit chilo na?? Biday belai take boro opomanito korlo tar team mate ra----khub baje khele, sabek cricketer ra and media.

Lara, tumi jeo na plz....ei vabe chale jate nei....ei vabe jaoa tumar moto player ke shaze na....plzzzzzz

sandpiper
April 19, 2007, 06:35 PM
He is a true legend of modern cricket. He came into the arena in late eighties when West Indian powerhouse were still dominating the cricketing nations. Greenidge, Marshall, Haynes, Richardson, Walsh, Ambrose,Bishop .... it was great period for caribbean cricket. From the very beginning Lara came into the focus with his immense batting talent. I can still remember some of his special innings like

#169 against Srilanka in Sharjah in 95,
# 153 against Pakistan in Sharjah 93
# 128 against Pakistan in Durban 93 and 111 in the next match against SAfrica at Port Elizabeth
#88* against pakistan in the 92 world cup,
#82 against Srilanka at Eden Gardens (Hero Cup semifinals)
#double hundred against Australia in Sydney 93 ( i was listening to this innings in radio australia) where he pelted the aussie powerhouse like McDermott, Huges, Whitney, Warne, Reid...
#breaking the record of sobers in Antigua '95 probably (against England)
#match winning hundred against South Africa in 96 world cup quarter final (against Donald, McMillan, Symcoks,Fannie De Villiers, Cronje)
# 102 against Australia at Brisbane 97 and 103 agaisnt Pakistan in the next match at Perth
#Beating Australia in Barbados 99 with a superb 157* (nail biting finish)
# 117 in Dhaka 99
#400 against England recently in Antigua

I can remember the period when Pakistan had Wasim and Waqar in top form, only Lara could play them with flair and he is a genuine asset to the Cricket World. The way he played Warne, Kumble and Murali was a treat to watch. The most important aspect of his nature is that he was a team worker. He tried his best to carry West Indies into the semifinal of World Cup 92 (when they lost to australia in Melbourne) and into the final of World cup 96 (once again they lost to Aussies narrowly in Mohali).

Hats off to BC Lara

Zobair
April 19, 2007, 07:01 PM
He will be sorely missed!!! End of an era. He was one of the reasons I got hooked on to cricket.

Sovik
April 19, 2007, 07:07 PM
there goes my interest of cricket from now on i will be only following Bangladesh cricket

CricFanBD
April 19, 2007, 07:13 PM
Source (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/291504.html)

onek koshto hochhe report ta porte giye...chok japsha hoye jai bar bar....Lara, amader kotha ekbar o vable na...amra jara WI er Die hard fan...amra ki nie thakbo????

Rabz
April 19, 2007, 10:10 PM
Saddest news indeed.
In my books, he is the greatest batsmen of the modern era.
The world cricket will miss an artist with a bat.

Thanks for the good memories.
Salute to you, Brian Charles Lara.

Mahir
April 19, 2007, 11:25 PM
the 300th ODI wasnt meant to be. So the Prince of Caribbean lets it be.
Goodbye Brian Lara... a Legend retires.

james007
April 20, 2007, 02:30 AM
great player, cricket will miss him.

always had question in my mind why didn't lara dutta married brian lara?

Nocturnal
April 20, 2007, 02:39 AM
Salute Prince - Brian Charles Lara.

ialbd
April 20, 2007, 03:22 AM
bujhte partesi boyosh hoitese, jeishob player der naam shune cricket khela shikhlam they are leaving the game now..... oh those classroom debates >> whos better Lara or Tendulkar.....

Sovik
April 20, 2007, 04:17 AM
its hard to believe that i won't be seeing him batting after Saturday.

Sovik
April 20, 2007, 04:49 AM
He dropped it in casually, just after he had finished answering his last question and when notebooks were being put away. He leaned forward, almost as if he was preparing to leave, and whispered these words into the microphone: "I gave extensive consideration to this. I want everybody to know that on Saturday I'll be playing my last international match."

Full Story (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/291530.html)

Pak_rox
April 20, 2007, 12:36 PM
an end to a great career

ammark
April 20, 2007, 03:55 PM
Standing ovation due for lara. He was a class apart throughout. WI was my favourite team till Ambrose, Walsh and Hooper retired. Now with this news, that chapter of WI cricket has ended. Will never forget his prolific batting, flair and grace at the crease. Will be sorely missed.

Lara 375 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6326029639318092086)
Lara 501*
Lara 400* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUONTjdNQqE)

It'll be quite a while before someone breaks these records

Bancan
April 20, 2007, 08:33 PM
The greatest. The only reason i liked WI. :(

capslock
April 20, 2007, 10:57 PM
Greatest Batsman since Bradman, and perhaps the most awe-inspiring and amazingly entertaining cricketer of all time.

amethyst
April 20, 2007, 11:18 PM
sad news indeed. Cricket will miss him. :( jader khela chotokale follow kore boro hoyechi, shobai eke eke chole jachhce... :( :( now WI means nothing to me anymore.

pocha
April 21, 2007, 12:37 AM
Hats of to you Brian Charles Lara! You are the best! I still cant forget the innings you played against Pak in the 1992 world cup taking on the great Akram to the ropes. Any words of praise will be less for you. You are simply the best in the modern era! :big_hug:

gatekeeper
April 21, 2007, 12:54 AM
If we were to judge cricketers by talent alone then I think Lara would be the best EVER, not just 'best of his time'. There've been others who were more dedicated, desciplined and driven but none more talented. Magnificent, outstanding talent.

He will be missed.

Xavier
April 21, 2007, 07:12 AM
I'm really disappointed... I thought he was going to play in the English tour next month... and he doesn't deserve to end his career after such a poor world cup by West Indies!

What can I say? Today is a warm sunny day, but I'm staying home... nothing could hold me from seeing Brian Lara last match ever!

battye
April 21, 2007, 09:57 AM
The way Gayle and Smith are going at the moment he might not even get a bat! :(

Miraz
April 21, 2007, 10:03 AM
The way Gayle and Smith are going at the moment he might not even get a bat! :(

That will be an injustice to world cricket.

he should bat at number 3. We want to see him bat for the last time.

Miraz
April 21, 2007, 10:17 AM
The greatest player on earth comes in for the last innings of his career.

battye
April 21, 2007, 10:21 AM
Hit the nail on the head Miraz. He comes out at number 3!

Miraz
April 21, 2007, 10:28 AM
Hit the nail on the head Miraz. He comes out at number 3!
Hahaha,
grateful to the great man yet another time. :)
And he is off the mark.

Miraz
April 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
What a sad way to end the greatest batsman of world cricket.

Run out for a run that was never there.

Samuels made the stupid call and then left Lara stranded.

Sovik
April 21, 2007, 12:12 PM
i am sad the way lara got out. but i am glad that lara retired. this windies team is unbearably poor. but he tried to lift this team and fail many times but only he was blamed for it.

i have been watching lara batting since 1996 and i can hardly remember when was the last time he got support from the other end.

after this day, i won't have to go through cricket calender to find out when windies will be playing their last match. i won't have to hope for another win for windies. i won't have to wake up 3 o'clock in the morning to see them playing in sub continent or stay up all night when they are in australia or in new zealand.

Xavier
April 21, 2007, 05:50 PM
i am sad the way lara got out. but i am glad that lara retired. this windies team is unbearably poor. but he tried to lift this team and fail many times but only he was blamed for it.

i have been watching lara batting since 1996 and i can hardly remember when was the last time he got support from the other end.

after this day, i won't have to go through cricket calender to find out when windies will be playing their last match. i won't have to hope for another win for windies. i won't have to wake up 3 o'clock in the morning to see them playing in sub continent or stay up all night when they are in australia or in new zealand.

This is a great post!

I'm sorry he couldn't leave with a win, but as you wrote his team-mates proved their losing attitude once again (their fielding today was quite pathetic).
I hope he changes his mind and plays in the England tour, but it looks much improbable... a huge loss for cricket and the West Indies!

SMHasan
April 21, 2007, 10:15 PM
If cricket is an entertainment then Lara is an entertainer.

Few days ago Lara said "People come to watch may batting spending their own money and it is my responsibility to make them happy".

And today when the presentation ceremony was going on Lara asked the spectators "Did I entertain you?" then more than 22500 people replied YES in a body. That was true he entertained us a lot and we will miss him.

Lara gone, Steve and Mark Waugh gone, Allan Donlad, Jonty Rhodes gone, Hanise gone, Wasim gone. Sachin is goind very soon ....well we are loosing some big man. This is sad. But most sadly Lara won't come back again.

CricFanBD
April 22, 2007, 02:24 AM

Sovik, you are 200% right. I had to always pass sleepless night when WI played in any match even Zimbabwe also. But I think I don't need to wake up up in middle of night to see WI's game again. Lara is all attraction in the WI's team and he never got a support from other hand...while he was batting in maximum times...even in last match...Samuel made him a runout...totally horrible...when will the WI liven up? I think never. Lara, you are a great player…not only best…simply superb among all the cricketers in the world. And without you, Cricket looks like a very boring game to me.