PDA

View Full Version : Good Bye Brian Charles Lara, the greatest batsman on earth

Miraz
April 21, 2007, 05:20 PM
I don't know what to write.

He was the greatest batsman to watch.

I wish him good luck in rest of his life.

Good Bye Lara.

He stood tall in every occasion but could not prevent the decline of West Indies cricket. I hop he will associate himself with the Caribbean cricket in different capacities to lift calypso cricket.

Bancan
April 21, 2007, 05:21 PM
Good Bye.
I hope he stays with cricket.

Sovik
April 21, 2007, 05:33 PM
the journey that started 17 years ago, a roller coaster ride, has finally ended. i have no words to describe how i am feeling right now. but i enjoyed every time he went out to bat. he was a great cricketer, the greatest batsman i have ever seen. and the greatest entertainer.

i have been fortunate to see him batting once and i am proud of that. i still can remember that moment, the atmosphere. i will miss him.

good bye lara

Miraz
April 21, 2007, 05:33 PM
He averages 61.82 in ODIs that West Indies have won, but only 25.46 in matches they have lost.

Clearly shows what he was for WI cricket. A real match winner who stood tall in every occasion.

HereWeGo
April 21, 2007, 05:40 PM
Will miss his presense everytime the windies plays.
For me he was always the greatest. Stats may never prove that but people who really understands the game and had the luxury to see him bat will recognise the fact that he is the best after Sir Don.

Miraz
April 21, 2007, 05:43 PM
Will miss his presense everytime the windies plays.
For me he was always the greatest. Stats may never prove that but people who really understands the game and had the luxury to see him bat will recognise the fact that he is the best after Sir Don.

Haven't watched Don.

To me he is the greatest. He single handedly kept WI in the top fight for a decade.

IMHO, He has much more influence in international cricket than Bradman.

cricket_pagol
April 21, 2007, 07:05 PM
Lara is the best batsmen I have ever seen. One of his best innings was his 153 against AUS in a test match. I feel very lucky to have witnessed some of his great innings.

sandpiper
April 21, 2007, 07:38 PM
'When Lara came there were cheers
When Lara went there were tears
He has always been our dear
Opponents greatest fear'

Sovik
April 21, 2007, 07:50 PM
haven't seen Bradman, Viv, Sobers playing. only heard they were great. but i know that they all had good performers to back them up and none of them had to piggy backing the team for more that decades

adel
April 21, 2007, 08:26 PM
it feels so sad...it's almost as if a part of the excitement of cricket has gone away...

but anyway thank you Brian Lara!

Hatebreed
April 21, 2007, 08:48 PM
I'm really upset by the way he got out. Samuels sold him down the river, and what cruel fate that England had to play well on this day.

Nevertheless, it's been a fantastic career for Lara. He's surely one of the greatest, classiest and most entertaining batsmen I've seen. I don't know if there be another like him in my lifetime, but surely his legend will live on to inspire many.

Thank you Lara, you'll be missed. :(

Sovik
April 21, 2007, 08:50 PM
Lara asked "Have i entertained you?"

Hatebreed
April 21, 2007, 08:52 PM
He averages 61.82 in ODIs that West Indies have won, but only 25.46 in matches they have lost.

Clearly shows what he was for WI cricket. A real match winner who stood tall in every occasion.

Adding to that, he scored an astounding 20% of WI runs in the games that he played for them. It's very evident how much WI cricket depends on him, it's a shame his players didn't back him up enough under his captaincy.

Hatebreed
April 21, 2007, 08:54 PM

You more than have Lara.

SMHasan
April 21, 2007, 10:24 PM
After watching Lara's 153 versus Australia the famous Australian cricket writer Peter Ruabok said "Even if I live another 50 years still I don't think I will see an innings like that"

People say Bradman is the greatest but surely I havn't seen him playing so I don't know how good he is. But I have seen Lara and to me he is the best. May not Lara be the greatest cricketer of all time but he is the best batsman.

cricketboy
April 22, 2007, 02:28 AM

I never enjoyed a batsman's batting more than BC Lara. I remember watching the 1999 series against Australia when I was in Bangladesh. It was my vacation and I stayed awake whole night to watch Lara bat. PLUS MOST IMPORTANT THING IS HE WAS A GENTLEMAN on and off the field. Some people compare him with Sachin but if you are not partial you will have to agree that Lara is the best and he can win test matches single- handedly. I never had so much tears after any player retired than today. The answer to Lara's question is if anybody got entertainment by cricket, he got from the Prince of Trinidad.

OZGOD
April 22, 2007, 03:12 AM
What an amazing batsman this guy was - the second best batsman I have ever seen after King Viv. But where King Viv was all about shock and awe, Lara, when he was set, had the best staying power of any batsman I've seen. Nobody was better at turning tons to double tons to triple tons (and even quad tons). Viv would stride to the crease radiating arrogance, defiance and a sheer desire to dominate the opposition, with only a cap on his head to protect it from the fastest bowlers in the world. Lara, on the other hand, was always a bit dodgy at the crease initially - but as he got set and started to really play his strokes, with that high, extravagant, magical backlift, you got the sense that he was going to be impossible to remove.

It's a shame he was always up against it with the teams he played in recently, and there was always all that rubbish about leadership etc. The WI is one of the few places in the world where someone who is so obviously an all time great, and who has achieved so much for his country and region and for his sport, is vilified by some people - you'd never see Ozzies vilifying Waugh, Taylor, or any of our heroes. We don't even vilify Kim Hughes and he was bloody useless.

I would nominate Lara's series against OZ in 1999, where he singlehandedly secured a draw for a declining WI side against a powerful OZ side, as probably the best I've ever seen a single player dominate the OZ. He averaged 91, with three tons and a half-ton in four matches, including a 213 in the 2nd Test and 153* in the third Test, which WI both won. He scored 100 in the 4th Test as well. And this was a side with McGrath, Gillespie and Warne in their prime, with support from MacGill, while Lara had the likes of journeymen like Campbell, Griffith, Collins and Joseph in his.

That 153* in the 3rd Test which WI won by one wicket, where Lara guided WI to victory ranks as one of the best innings I've ever been privileged to witness.

Take a bow mate, and all the best for your retirement.

Xavier
April 22, 2007, 07:18 AM
As you may read in this article:
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/291744.html

"He made the most runs in an over, an innings, a career."
He holds all the records a batsman can make at Test cricket... what could he make more than this?

israr
April 22, 2007, 08:05 AM
Best ever.............................................

Alien
April 22, 2007, 08:33 AM
I hope he coaches Bangladesh one day. We can do with an expert like him on our side.

Kana-Baba
April 22, 2007, 08:45 AM
Good Bye Lara

Sovik
April 22, 2007, 09:03 AM
windies players failed to impress. they could have done this

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/012004/049229.jpg

Miraz
April 22, 2007, 09:10 AM
English players were more gentlemen compared to WI players, they offered guard of honor to Lara but surprisingly there was no such move from WI.

Too much Island politics.

cricket_dorshok
April 22, 2007, 10:40 AM
Good bye BC Lara!!!
Yes, if cricket is a game for entertainment then you were the best entertainer. I never found more entertainment in cricket than watching your batting.

sandpiper
April 22, 2007, 11:32 AM
I will never forget his 277 in Sydney 1993

Shaan
April 22, 2007, 12:08 PM
English players were more gentlemen compared to WI players, they offered guard of honor to Lara but surprisingly there was no such move from WI.

Too much Island politics.

Now those windies cricket will see what was Lara for them,, they are gonna demolish soon..

Lara My best favorite batsman ever. He had the power to entertain anyone in any version of game with his magical bating style. His bats talked with the ball like he had the painting brush in his hand and he was drawing the harmony of nature. Such a talent in cricket never seen.

Good bye Prince of the cricket!!! I salute you!

ammark
April 22, 2007, 04:28 PM
Lara... I dont have words to express my feelings after this news. He was the best I couldve ever witnessed, and I know there were many including the Don who rated Sachin a bit higher, but still.... to me Lara was an entertainer beyond compare. Will miss his cricket sorely. Wonder if he'll make any appearances for Charity matches, and Warwickshire anymore

sandpiper
April 22, 2007, 07:40 PM
http://flug.fis.utoronto.ca/~kabir/sandpiper/index.html

gatekeeper
April 22, 2007, 08:42 PM
May God bless and keep you always,
May your wishes all come true,
May you always do for others
And let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous,
May you grow up to be true,
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you.
May you always be courageous,
Stand upright and be strong,

May your hands always be busy,
May your feet always be swift,
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful,
May your song always be sung,

----Bob Dylan

CricFanBD
April 22, 2007, 10:43 PM
windies players failed to impress. they could have done this

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/012004/049229.jpg

WI's players in this team (except Lara, Bravo and Gayle) don't respect others, cause they are not respected in anywhere else. They earn humilation in every single match.

Nafis_BD
April 22, 2007, 11:21 PM
Brian Lara will be missed !!!!The greatest batsmen I have ever seen and the greatest batsmen WI ever had and probably will ever get!!!!Hats off to him!!!!

Sovik
April 23, 2007, 02:40 PM
WI's players in this team (except Lara, Bravo and Gayle) don't respect others, cause they are not respected in anywhere else. They earn humilation in every single match.

don't say like that. sarwan and chanderpaul are good cricketers as well.

israr
April 23, 2007, 02:54 PM
West Indies is a quality side, but don't know why they looked so listless in this WC.
Thier performance in India during Champions Trophy was so great.

cricket_king
April 24, 2007, 04:52 AM
The end of lara's era........then i need a new fav batsman.......how about jason gillespie? Heck he's scored a double century.....but he doesnt really make it into the team :(
ahh well...he's MY fav :-D

israr
April 24, 2007, 01:29 PM
The next Lara of this era............................. maybe our Ash?

Alright, I am outta here before you guys pounce on me:timeout:
I know I am dead after making this statement:sick: , but don't worry, I shall escape:wave: from BC's wrath.

Tigers_eye
April 24, 2007, 01:44 PM
I will miss Lara no doubt. The World would miss his batting. I have seen the best of 70s, 80s and 90s and certainly he ranks on the top tier. To me, no one can match Viv. He demanded attention from the opposition and then went out and killed them ball by ball with an arrogance that can only be seen as confident fellow.

Lara is the 4th best player ever to hold the WI flag. Even after retirement he has so much to give he should be properly utilized by the WI board.