PDA

View Full Version : Fleming resigns as ODI captain

Sovik
April 24, 2007, 07:25 PM
Whats happening? End of another era

After more than a decade at the helm, Stephen Fleming has resigned the captaincy of New Zealand's one-day team in the wake of his team's defeat in the semi-final of the World Cup against Sri Lanka at Sabina Park. Fleming, 34, made the announcement at the post-match press conference, bringing to an end a run of 218 games in charge.

Full Story>> (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/292255.html)

Kabir
April 24, 2007, 07:31 PM
Fleming is one of those sensational captains. A very decent man, with great courage. I haven't been following NZ matches in recent years, but have always had my respect for this guy and Astle in the NZ side.

Another great player is ending his career. He will be missed by many.

Hatebreed
April 24, 2007, 07:40 PM
Another great player is ending his career. He will be missed by many.

He's not ending his career, he still wants to captain the test side but concentrate as a batsman only in ODI.

Nevertheless, a very sad news. He's been a brilliant captain. I wish him all the best.

Sovik
April 24, 2007, 07:42 PM
Stopped watching New zealands games after cairns retired.

cricket_pagol
April 24, 2007, 07:57 PM
I always thought that Fleming is one of the est captain around... he has taken NZ far with such an average team. Best of luck to Fleming for the rest of his career.

Kabir
April 24, 2007, 08:08 PM
He's not ending his career, he still wants to captain the test side but concentrate as a batsman only in ODI.

Nevertheless, a very sad news. He's been a brilliant captain. I wish him all the best.

Lesson leart - I'll never post anything in a rush :)
Completely misread the thing...thought he's quitting from cricket completely!

gatekeeper
April 24, 2007, 09:27 PM
Fleming's one of the best captains I've seen in operation. I think he's losing that appetite a bit. I Think its a good descision on his part and NZ actually has a few players who'll make good ODI captains.

ialbd
April 24, 2007, 10:10 PM
he was kinda consistent with both captaincy & batting, cant think of an appropriate person in NZ team right now who can take over (Astle would have if he didnt retire). Styris might get the baton...

One World
April 24, 2007, 10:12 PM
Stephen Fleming one of those captain's who started early with the team when Deepak Patel was flighting his top spins against the world. Astle was a pleasure to watch and Chris Cairns was the lone hero. He is the kind of captain who learns as he goes. I think he would leave a big dent in NZ's ODI campaign.

Protic
April 24, 2007, 10:51 PM
mm..whos gonna be the captain now?
I guess Vettori will take over.

Murad
April 24, 2007, 11:00 PM
do bashar has guts like fleming?

AsifTheManRahman
April 24, 2007, 11:54 PM
now THIS is some news. i have utmost respect for this guy - he's been the best ODI captain for a long long time. i think he has made the right decision at the right time.

AsifTheManRahman
April 24, 2007, 11:57 PM
he was kinda consistent with both captaincy & batting, cant think of an appropriate person in NZ team right now who can take over (Astle would have if he didnt retire). Styris might get the baton...

he mentioned vettori, who according to him has been groomed for the position over the years. dan man also captained the team in the eleven occassions that fleming wasn't available since november 2004.

crickwizard
April 25, 2007, 02:20 AM
A sad loss for NZ. Fleming is the most intelligent and active captain in the field i have seen in cricket. He should start a captain school after retiring from Cricket in few years

Sovik
April 25, 2007, 05:15 AM
do bashar has guts like fleming?

why can't we leave bashar alone? he has done his level best

Sohel
May 18, 2007, 04:56 PM
Stephen Fleming one of those captain's who started early with the team when Deepak Patel was flighting his top spins against the world. Astle was a pleasure to watch and Chris Cairns was the lone hero. He is the kind of captain who learns as he goes. I think he would leave a big dent in NZ's ODI campaign.

perfectly put...