PDA

View Full Version : Is Gilly a Cheat? - Spirited Defense by Aus Media (8 May 07)

shehanwije
May 8, 2007, 07:23 AM
The "squash ball" issue made a belated appearance in the Aus media today (8 May 2007), almost 10 days since the rest of the world started discussing the issue. This clip shows the main 3 TV news networks (Channel 10, Channel 9 and ABC) defending Gilly to the hilt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScXcFb0STE

cricman
May 8, 2007, 07:31 AM
he's not a cheat, why would he show it to the entire world?

Tigers_eye
May 8, 2007, 07:44 AM
Cause the Indian media can't have anything negative of the Aussies, that's why the stir. Poor Indians didn't have the chance to get their a** kicked.

Tintin
May 8, 2007, 07:46 AM
Whatever was right or wrong, if it was a Sri Lankan batsman who did it, a lot of people who support Gilchrist would be opposing him, and vice versa.

Tintin
May 8, 2007, 07:48 AM
Cause the Indian media can't have anything negative of the Aussies, that's why the stir. Poor Indians didn't have the chance to get their a** kicked.

Please don't blame this one on India. The complaint has come from right at the top in the Sri Lankan administration : http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/293393.html

Mahmood
May 8, 2007, 07:57 AM
If Ganguly can wear his glass while batting, why can't Gilly use a squash ball!

psj
May 8, 2007, 07:59 AM
Any particular reason you r always behind the Indian A**:D

Tigers_eye
May 8, 2007, 08:06 AM
No particular reason. This was a dead issue. Other Australian players have done that. Those who have large hands got benefit from it. This has come back to spot light first where? Which country is making this an issue and bringing in to the main stream news? Cricinfo's reporter affiliated to which country has dug up the issue? Where did he get the inspiration all of a sudden? email him and ask him directly.

Miraz
May 8, 2007, 08:09 AM
Liked the comment of Peter Young from Cricket Australia

"If putting a squash ball within the gloves can result in an innings like Gilchrist played, ICC should make it mandatory for all batsmen". :)

Alien
May 8, 2007, 09:08 AM
Liked the comment of Peter Young from Cricket Australia

"If putting a squash ball within the gloves can result in an innings like Gilchrist played, ICC should make it mandatory for all batsmen". :)

You cant force players to play with squash ball...they can make it optional, but not mandatory.

Baundule
May 8, 2007, 09:12 AM
The answer is simple:
If within the laws, fine!
If not, cheating.

BonBon
May 8, 2007, 09:42 AM
Dont rush on Srilanka, they didnt call Gilly a cheat (you did). They are just saying that this is wrong. One cannot use unauthorized aids in cricket gears. Srilanka should file in the appeal so to prevent this and may be other worse things happening that we all wouldnt like.

I bet the AUS spokesman would have raised hue and cry if Jayasuriya did this. But thats not the question. I feel nothing terrible has happened, but if the ICC doesnt pay attention, it might happen next time AUS plays BAN:D

Huda
May 8, 2007, 09:42 AM
You cant force players to play with squash ball...they can make it optional, but not mandatory.

He was saying it out of expression not meaning it in a serious way.

BonBon
May 8, 2007, 09:45 AM
What a sharp observation!!! Bravo...Malcolm Speed would definitely like this insight

If Ganguly can wear his glass while batting, why can't Gilly use a squash ball!

akabir77
May 8, 2007, 09:48 AM
I am with SL. even though i know Gilli did nothing wrong intentionally but I feel like he should have asked or some thing before using a extra thing which is not considered a cricket gear.

I guess not getting runs got to him too.
If Hanse had to take off his ear piece why not this. did he asked the ump before using it? if not that means he knew or the Aus management knew he might get denied for that.
And those who r saying well if the squash ball helps then every one should use it to them i say the ball won't help every one but even if it helps just gilli is he allowed to use it?
My simple question is why didn't he get this approved before using it period?

Miraz
May 8, 2007, 10:44 AM
Off topic, Here's a video of cheating by all time Aussie great Steve Waugh, he claimed a dropped catch of BC Lara.

<embed src="http://www.veoh.com/videodetails2.swf?player=videodetailsembedded&type=v&permalinkId=v465201mMGXTfj8&id=anonymous" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" height="438" width="540">
Online Videos by Veoh.com (http://www.veoh.com/)

imran78
May 8, 2007, 11:05 AM
i dont think theres any cricket law which specifically states that you can't put any foreign object inside your gloves. so Gilchrist didn't cheat. if you do something which helps you play better and is not forbidden..then why not?

BonBon
May 8, 2007, 11:17 AM
You are wrong. Read BBCs posting on this..

i dont think theres any cricket law which specifically states that you can't put any foreign object inside your gloves. so Gilchrist didn't cheat. if you do something which helps you play better and is not forbidden..then why not?

OZGOD
May 8, 2007, 11:49 AM
You use a ball in the glove for the same reason as you tape a bail to the bat handle low down when coaching. It teaches the bottom hand to guide and direct the ball rather than provide power. You hit the ball better with timing than with strength. It is one of the weird things about a game that gets so involved with biomechanics that you place the strongest hand in the place where you don't want it to be dominant, hence the reason there are many succesful right handers that bat "left-handed" (right hand at top of handle).
As for legality? You couldn't define it as "External Protective Equipment" nor as "Clothing", but as it is inside the glove it has no effect on any of the laws. Only wicket keepers currently have specifiactions and rules regarding their gloves so in theory if the use of an item inside the glove became and issue manufacturers could make gloves with an insert that serves the same purpose.

Storm in a cup of dilmah, I reckon. Some of the outraged comments from fans have been pretty funny to listen to though. This was my favourite:

The characteristic of the squash ball indicates that the ball is made of vulcanised rubber with additions of polymers and synthetic material to achieve a degree of fairly low resilience. The lower the resilience of the object the higher the proportion of energy used in deforming it. Thus when a batsmen hits the cricket ball, the air inside the squash ball gets pressurised or deformed, releasing a spring load of energy, that is transferred directly to the bat, resulting in a catapulting effect on the cricket ball, as evidenced by the spectators, watching Gilchrist’s batting spell bound.

http://www.lankaweb.com/news/items07/050507-2.html

:floor:

OZGOD
May 8, 2007, 11:52 AM
You are wrong. Read BBCs posting on this..

Actually, the MCC, who are the custodians of the Laws of Cricket, have said there is no problem with it - it's the same as wearing a thicker inner glove. I'm not sure which BBC posting you're referring to, but this one makes it pretty clear.

He made no attempt to conceal the use of the squash ball in the final, a tactic worked out with his batting coach Bob Meuleman in Perth prior to the team's departure for the Caribbean.

And in an interview with the Australian newspaper following the final, Meuleman explained that the ball prevented Gilchrist's bat from turning in his hand.

Their position has been backed by the MCC, who are responsible for the laws of the game.

"In this case, apparently the addendum to the inside of the batting gloves was not for protection from injury, but to improve the way the batsman gripped the bat handle.

"This should not be considered unfair. Similarly, it has never been considered unfair for batsmen to use two grips on the bat handle.

"The glove manufacturers might, for added protection against jarring, have put an extra pad of some cushioning material as an integral part of the inside of the palm.

"This would be entirely legal, but have the same effect on his grip for a batsman who wore such gloves.

"In conclusion, the incident could not be classed either as contravening the law or as breaching the spirit of the game," an MCC statement said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/6633873.stm

End of story. There's nothing stopping anyone from trying it. I encourage all of you to go buy a squash ball, cut it in half, stick it in your glove, and see if it improves your batting. :)

OZGOD
May 8, 2007, 11:56 AM
The "squash ball" issue made a belated appearance in the Aus media today (8 May 2007), almost 10 days since the rest of the world started discussing the issue. This clip shows the main 3 TV news networks (Channel 10, Channel 9 and ABC) defending Gilly to the hilt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScXcFb0STE

I'd suggest the reason that it hasn't gotten attention till now is because it's so ridiculous that it hasn't really been worth discussing. It's actually pretty funny.

Mahir
May 8, 2007, 02:25 PM
A bunny with squash-ball-in-glove doesn't a Gilchrist make.

Exactly. :up:

shehanwije
May 8, 2007, 02:38 PM
For a real example of an Australian cheating, see this clip of Ian Healy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMQUqky18uw

Sohel
May 8, 2007, 03:26 PM
sour grapes! i expected more class from our lankan brothers... this is not the way to deal with the pathetic accusations the aussies ceaselessly chuck at murali... man should not bite the dog!

allrounder
May 8, 2007, 03:28 PM
Tigers_eye needs to get rid of his indiaphobia, when it seems that SL cricket authorities are after Gilly's squash ball.

shehanwije
May 8, 2007, 03:43 PM
Happy to report to all that the squash ball issue is amazingly still live in the Aus media with reports in the major papers (eg: "Gilly's glove declared legal" http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21698872-23212,00.html ), and all the morning TV shows are still covering the story.

There is still a sense of "hoping the issue will go away" and"lets shame the Sri Lankans into dropping the charges" in the Aus media.

On the other hand, if there is no issue with the squash ball, then why is there so much aggro in the media on this issue - 10 days later.

A good example is the article linked above - this "new" article published this morning in the Aus press is based on the MCC ruling which was published by BBC and other almost a week ago. But to the local Aus public, it is made to appear like a fresh ruling was obtained declaring that all was above board. The games the Aus media play!

akabir77
May 8, 2007, 04:16 PM
Still I think Gilli should have cleared this before using it. They don't allow any kind of string or tape to put on the bat. Well aussies r well known for these things. remember the under arm ball? Cricket is a gentlemen's game. every thing doesn't have to be in the law book.

ialbd
May 8, 2007, 06:42 PM
nachte na janle.......

Hatebreed
May 8, 2007, 06:56 PM
The reason people are making an issue about it is because it was mainly Gilly's explosive inning that won Aussies the match, and he wasn't really performing at the same level in previous matches.

gatekeeper
May 8, 2007, 08:00 PM
Adam Gilchrist is not a cheat. Period. Lets move on. Thank you.

layperson
May 8, 2007, 08:18 PM
Fact of the matter is, this is not the first time that gilchrist has played such a knock. So no one can attribute his success in the final solely to the piece of squash ball in his glove. That is just a lame excuse. He has scored like this in the past and would keep on scoring like this "ball in glove" or "no ball in glove". Credit should be given where credit is due. Gilchrist is the finest Wk batsman to play this game and to attritbute his success in the final to a mere ball is insulting his batting genius.

OZGOD
May 8, 2007, 10:59 PM
Happy to report to all that the squash ball issue is amazingly still live in the Aus media with reports in the major papers (eg: "Gilly's glove declared legal" http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21698872-23212,00.html ), and all the morning TV shows are still covering the story.

There is still a sense of "hoping the issue will go away" and"lets shame the Sri Lankans into dropping the charges" in the Aus media.

On the other hand, if there is no issue with the squash ball, then why is there so much aggro in the media on this issue - 10 days later.

Amazingly alive? Who's been keeping this issue alive for the past 10 days? Who has been writing columns and letters of outrage intimating Gilly was a cheat? Who was writing ridiculous articles claiming that the only reason Gilly and Haydunce played so well was because they were on drugs (http://www.cricketworldcuplatest.com/news/a-colombo-based-doctor-claims-that-australians-mat-112065.html)? Who broke the initial stories about the SL secretary's intention to take the matter up with the ICC?

The OZ media are merely responding to allegations (some of which are pretty sad, not to mention funny) that have been made in various media sources in Sri Lanka and India over the past 10 days. It's not the OZ media that's been making a fuss about this and been keeping it going for the past 10 days.

If you say that there is a sense of the OZ are "hoping the issue will go away" and that "SL will drop the charges", well, there's also a sense from SL that "if we call Gilly a cheat often enough and long enough people will start to believe it". In any case, why would the OZ want the issue to go away? As far as we, and the MCC, are concerned there is no issue. Anyone is free to put a squash ball in their glove if they want to, if they feel they are gripping the bat too hard.

In any case, the Sri Lankan players and administrators have distanced themselves from their secretary's comments - they reckon he's smoking a bit too much dilmah. Good on them - you need to take defeat as graciously as you do victory. I'm sure Jayawardene and his team would be the first to admit that they didn't play as well as they could've to win. Nothing wrong with that - there are winners and losers in sport. :)

Mathivanan insisted several players had told him "they were a bit upset" over the use of the squash ball. That was contradicted by Muttiah Muralitharan. "That is [Mathivanan's] personal opinion; the team doesn't think that," the spinner told the Syndey Morning Herald.

"If anything, I would think having a squash ball in your glove would be uncomfortable. I don't know if I could even hold a bat with something like that in my glove. So if [Gilchrist wants to do it], it is OK with me."

Mathivanan also received little support from SLC chief executive Duleep Mendis. When asked if he supported his secretary, Mendis said: "You must call him about that."

SMH.com (http://blogs.smh.com.au/sport/archives/2007/05/sri_lankan_sour_grapes_or_aust.html)

As Gatekeeper said, let's move on. :)

psj
May 9, 2007, 02:59 AM
No particular reason. This was a dead issue. Other Australian players have done that. Those who have large hands got benefit from it. This has come back to spot light first where? Which country is making this an issue and bringing in to the main stream news? Cricinfo's reporter affiliated to which country has dug up the issue? Where did he get the inspiration all of a sudden? email him and ask him directly.

Cricinfo does not function like UN,where Reporters are affiliated to a country and report as per his countries whims and fancies. The reporters nationality being Indian is just a co-incidence.There are Indians in almost any major website/Tv Channels...
They are not there to do BCCI or India's job.
TE..U seem to have a pre concieved notion that India/Indians are always upto something to prove that all others are wrong.i beg to differ with ur mindset.

Special 1
May 9, 2007, 03:29 AM
TE..U seem to have a pre concieved notion that India/Indians are always upto something to prove that all others are wrong.i beg to differ with ur mindset.

I think high level indian officials, commentators do have that attitude. Thats y a lot of people do have that mindset.
And Indians do have an air of arrogance when it comes to inteacting with other south asian countries. They think they know it all or atleast that is the opinion i get from the indians I met.

psj
May 9, 2007, 06:31 AM
I think high level indian officials, commentators do have that attitude. Thats y a lot of people do have that mindset.
And Indians do have an air of arrogance when it comes to inteacting with other south asian countries. They think they know it all or atleast that is the opinion i get from the indians I met.
You have been meeting the wrong ppl dude....There are more than a billion of us...so dont generalize.

Arnab
May 9, 2007, 07:18 AM
Off topic, Here's a video of cheating by all time Aussie great Steve Waugh, he claimed a dropped catch of BC Lara.

Off topic post, but yes, my opinion of Waugh went several notches down after that.

Alien
May 9, 2007, 09:30 AM

You seem to know every single Indian don't you, to say that they have the air of arrogance.

Almost everyone here was arrogant at one stage or another when BD beat India and then SA. Lot of us went ahead to make big statements. So what's wrong if Indians make them? Its human nature, They are humans so are we. It's good to be modest but then again its human nature to be arrogant at times.

scoilaheez
May 10, 2007, 02:59 AM
Gilchrist is the most honest player in the game by the way. He is a walker after all. He also supports many charities. Anyone get the irony?

Imteaz
May 10, 2007, 09:13 AM
No, Adam Gilchrist was Not a Cheat.