View Full Version : Mohammedan beat Oldham Athletic U-21s

May 9, 2007, 02:07 AM
http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~1022493,00.html (http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337%7E1022493,00.html)
Oldham MSC-struck
Sports Reporter

Oldham Athletic received a hostile welcome when the youth side of the English club lost their first exhibition match to Mohammedan Sporting Club yesterday.
Nigerian forwards Mwach Ukwu Paul and Emeka Christina struck first half goals in the home side's 2-1 victory at the Bangabandhu National Stadium as the visitors wilted under scorching heat.

Matt Barlow scored a consolation goal for the Latics, who were forced to make nine changes at the break and looked better under lights.

A few thousand crowds, however, enjoyed a lively start by the black and whites who went ahead after 20 minutes.

Paul and Emeka dictated the terms early and their hard work paid off after Zahid initiated the move at the right flank. Taking the ball from the midfielder, Paul got inside the box but his shot came off a forest of legs and Emeka made no mistake to drill the ball into the bottom corner.

Six minutes later, Emeka forced a fine save by Ryan Smith, the goalkeeper who has already played for the senior side in the Coca Cola League 1.

Playing 4-3-3, the Oldham struggled for control in the middle but Adam Edwards threatened to score on the half hour, only to be denied by Nigerian Peter Odafe's brilliant tackle inside the box.
Mohammedan doubled the lead ten minutes from the break with Paul's clinical finish after a through ball by Mithu. Paul, the top-scorer of the ongoing B. League who has scored a double hattrick this season, got behind a defender at the left side and exquisitely placed a left-footer into the far post from a tight angle.

It should have been 3-0 but Emeka, who broke an offside trap with Paul's pass, saw Smith palm away his shot from one-on-one.

In the last five minutes, Oldham made desperate attempts for a comeback but Barlow hit the base of the sidebar after going round rival goalkeeper Himel, who held Ashley Kelly's weak header in the injury time.

The half time came as a relief for the tired booters and only Barlow and Ross Thaker returned when the game resumed. The fresh legs pushed hard and it took Latics three minutes to reduce the arrears through Barlow, who sidefooted home from the edge of the six-yard box after meeting a low cross by Deane Smalley from the right.

With the boys in blue having the edge, Smalley fluffed a series of attempts on the hour as Oldham's chances to equalise evaporated. The tall forward was set up by Kallum Higginbotham after a flowing counter attack by Edwards but the first shot went straight to Himel. Smalley hit the rebound once again to the keeper from point-blank range and the third time, his cross was defended by the backline.

Ten minutes later, Higgin-botham invaded the penalty area with a ball from Owen but Himel rushed out of his line to dispossess the striker.

Mohammedan regained control in the dying minutes and after a few long-range efforts went off target, Mithu caught substitute keeper Josh bell napping with a 25-yard volley that came off the crossbar just before the final whistle.

"It was a good game and both sides wasted chances. Mohammedan played well and I have to admit that my boys were really undone by the conditions," said coach Tony Philliskirk.

"It was too hot and humid and the players were tired after a long trip. We know what to do and hope to settle it by our next match," the Latics coach hoped.

The team will visit BKSP today for promotional works with local players and coaches before travelling to Sylhet where they play their second friendly, against Bangladesh Under-23s, on May 12. Oldham will return to Dhaka to round of their trip with a match against Abahani on May 12.

Source: The Daily Star Dhaka.

May 9, 2007, 02:20 AM
Go Mohammedan!

May 9, 2007, 02:59 AM
Well done Mohammedan. Now its our turn on may 12 :)

May 9, 2007, 04:14 AM
:up:Go Mohammedan!

May 9, 2007, 05:44 AM
Match pictures (http://www.banglafootball.net/2007/05/mohammedan-sc-dhaka-vs-oldham-athletic.html)

May 10, 2007, 04:13 PM
Bangladesh U-23s 1-1 Oldham Athletic (http://www.banglafootball.net/2007/05/bangladesh-u-23s-1-1-oldham-athletic.html)

Michael Pearson crashed home a fine strike as Latics earned a hard-fought draw against the Bangladesh under-23 side.

Tony Philliskirk's outfit excelled themselves in baking 39-degree heat in the coastal town of Sylhet, with Director Ian Hill describing them as "an absolute credit to the club."

Pearson put his side ahead with a sublime effort from the edge of the area after just quarter of an hour as Latics battled manfully in trying conditions.

The hosts equalised just before the break, with a strike from prolific Farashganj striker Mohammed Robin, but Latics were the better side once again in the second period and created a number of opportunities to win the game.

Source >>> (http://www.banglafootball.net/2007/05/bangladesh-u-23s-1-1-oldham-athletic.html)

May 10, 2007, 04:15 PM
One day we can achieve the same results with our Nakhalpara or Gopibagh U-21 and won't need a premier league or national team.

May 11, 2007, 08:44 AM
...Tony Philliskirk's outfit excelled themselves in baking 39-degree heat in the coastal town of Sylhet, with Director Ian Hill describing them as "an absolute credit to the club."
A minor adjustment. Sylhet is no way near the coast. Chittagong is the only prominent coastal city we have.

Good result by the way. I think the heat and humidity is a factor.