PDA

View Full Version : 8 teams in 2008 asia cup??????

bd_fan_from_india
May 12, 2007, 10:57 AM
heres the article from cricinfo - http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/293914.html . look at the last line - it says there will be 8 teams in 2008 asia cup:o

Tournament returns to the calendar after an absence of two years
Asia Cup to be held in Pakistan next year
Cricinfo staff
May 12, 2007
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=170 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif
</TD><TD class=photo>
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=photo>Ashraful Huq wants China to be an integral part of the fold <NOBR>© AFP</NOBR>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Asia Cup will be next held in Pakistan from April 17 to May 3 next year after a gap of two years, according to the Asian Cricket Council (ACC). The tournament was scheduled to be held in 2006 but was postponed due to an already-packed international schedule for the four Test playing nations.
"We could not hold the Cup in 2006 as the international calendar was packed. None of the Test playing teams had the time to squeeze in the tourney," said Ashraful Huq, chief executive of the ACC.
Referring to the 2010 Asian Games to be held in China, where Twenty20 cricket will be a part of it, Huq pointed out ACC's efforts to induct China into its fold. "The biggest job at hand is to get China to play cricket."
There would be eight teams, the four Test playing nations India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka - as also four qualifiers from the continent.
© Cricinfo

if its 8 teams, looks like a good move. the game has to spread all over asia. acc & icc have high hopes from nepal. afghanistan & china

anakwalajinn
May 13, 2007, 01:51 PM
Oman, UAE, Hong Kong & Nepal I guess! :)
Or China instead of Hong Kong!

One World
May 13, 2007, 04:35 PM
Oman not Malayasia! I would like to see China there. Also I heard Afghans play better cricket. What is the status of two other SAARC countries?

Here is a link of interview of Saouth African coach of Malayasia, you can also find comment about their Bangladeshi U-19 coach.

http://www.asiancricket.org/h_0507_bailey1.cfm

And looks like Afghanisthan almost started their professional league

http://www.asiancricket.org/h_0507_bailey1.cfm

bd_fan_from_india
May 13, 2007, 11:29 PM
uae, hong kong, nepal & afghanistan finished in the top 4 in the last acc trophy 2006, so these 4 teams will likely be the 4 qualifiers in the 2008 asia cup. i guess the asia cup got expanded to 8 teams so as to allow china qualify for future asia cups in maybe 2010,2012

as for the 2 other saarc conuntries, nepal, beat south africa & new zealand to win the u-19 plate championship in 2006. afghanistan, had encouraging results winning 6 of their 7 matches against county 2nd-xi & top club teams in england

china didnt playin even the 2006 acc trophy, so they cant play in the 2008 asia cup. maybe in 2010 or 2012

jabbar
May 14, 2007, 12:14 AM
china didnt playin even the 2006 acc trophy, so they cant play in the 2008 asia cup. maybe in 2010 or 2012

Don't worry, if ACC is anything like ICC, they will ensure china plays because of $$$.

anakwalajinn
May 14, 2007, 05:38 AM
That is very good news! =) Hope to see Afghani brothers in the tournament! ;)

TheWatcher
May 14, 2007, 03:13 PM
uae, hong kong, nepal & afghanistan finished in the top 4 in the last acc trophy 2006, so these 4 teams will likely be the 4 qualifiers in the 2008 asia cup.
UAE and Oman were supposed to participate in the Asia cup back in 2006, that is now taking place in 2008. So, I think it will be unfair to Oman to be left out, even though the team was miserable in the last ACC trophy. The other two associate teams, I guess, will be Hong Kong and Afghanistan (runners-up and 3rd place holder in the last ACC trophy). I won't mind if ACC increases number of participating teams to 9 to include Nepal.

Those five associate teams are taking part in world cricket league (for associates), and are in contention for spots in the 2011 world cup in Asia. So, I think it is good that they are going to get this kind of exposure that may help them to improve.

bd_fan_from_india
May 14, 2007, 11:10 PM
besides the asia cup, the saarc cup needs to be restarted. in the 1990s, it used to include bangladesh alongwith a teams of india, pakistan & sri lanka. now, it should be expanded to 6 teams with nepal & afghanistan alongwith a teams of india, pakistan, sri lanka & bangladesh.

nepal, finished runners-ups in the 2002 acc trophy and were scheduled to play in the 2004 asia cup, after the 2002 asia cup had taken place with uae & hong kong. hong kong got their chance, but nepal didnt. so with 8 teams, it can be uae, nepal, oman & hong kong(runners-ups of 2002, 2004 & 2006 acc trophies). but then it might be a bit unfair on afghanistan. 9 teams will be very unlikely as the tournament will be too long. 8 teams can allow for a 1975 or 1979 wc like format.

rah
May 28, 2007, 11:43 AM
this tournament willl mst likely be like the u19 world cup. 2 groups of 4 holding each 2 test teams and 2 aotha teams. top 2 den go knockout for the cup while the otha 4 will play for a plate.

bhisma
May 30, 2007, 03:55 AM
Hey frens , Nepal will be new one to see in the asia cup 2008 because we have good seamers who can swing the ball and pinch hitters opener.so keep watching nepal hai ta .

rah
May 30, 2007, 08:02 AM
Hey frens , Nepal will be new one to see in the asia cup 2008 because we have good seamers who can swing the ball and pinch hitters opener.so keep watching nepal hai ta .

welcome bhai to bangla cricket
i would like to see afghansitan nepal uae and malaysia qualify

Xavier
May 30, 2007, 08:08 AM
Nepal and Afghanistan are improving fast and it would be really interesting to see them facing the "big names"... but I'm afraid India will find some more excuse to eventually delay the competition again...

bhisma
May 31, 2007, 03:58 AM
Thanks frens for all your complements.Nepal being close to India ,all the Nepalese teenagers are influenced by the cricket as our 4 SAARC countries are playing.We also believe that if enough chances are provided to give exposure to our cricket team we will do something in cricket.

bhisma
May 31, 2007, 04:03 AM
Hey frens ,the one problem that i have seen in the emerging nation is that the players who are playing for those country like UAE,Oman,SInagapore,Hongkong and many other countries have the players from the 4 test playing South Asian Countries.But our country Nepal doesn't have any foreign player .Because of this factor UAE have always been dominating the emerging nation like Nepal.But thank god last year we won the ACC Preimere League.

akabir77
May 31, 2007, 09:19 AM
My team in assc is always nepal. You guys did a good job there. Good luck in asia cup. This is good news for Asia. bring more teams. I think asian teams will not cry to play the weak teams like in WC.

rah
May 31, 2007, 10:20 AM
dis is great i realli do support nepal. i can see dem in da 2015 but is there ne chance for them being in 2011 world cup?

bd_fan_from_india
May 31, 2007, 11:59 AM
here is how both nepal & afghanistan can reach the 2011 wc. i do hope that both of them make it -

1st & 2nd in wcl div 5 - 2008
1st & 2nd in wcl div 4 - 2008
1st & 2nd in wcl div 3 - 2009
a top 6 finish in icc trophy 2009

Xavier
May 31, 2007, 01:05 PM
here is how both nepal & afghanistan can reach the 2011 wc. i do hope that both of them make it -

1st & 2nd in wcl div 5 - 2008
1st & 2nd in wcl div 4 - 2008
1st & 2nd in wcl div 3 - 2009
a top 6 finish in icc trophy 2009

And this will (or could) be the opponents:

WCL Division 5 2008: Afghanistan, Bahamas, Botswana, Germany, Jersey, Mozambique, Nepal, Norway, Singapore, USA. First 2 teams to WCL Div.4.

WCL Division 4 2008: 1st and 2nd from Div.5 (eventually Afghanistan and Nepal) + 5th to 8th from Div.3 2007 which are: Fiji, Italy, Tanzania, Hong Kong. First 2 teams to WCL Div.3.

WCL Division 3 2009: 1st and 2nd from Div.4 (ev. Afghanistan and Nepal) + 3rd and 4th Div.2 2007 which are Cayman and Papua New Guinea, + 5th and 6th from Div.2 2007 (Denamrk? Oman?). First 2 teams finally reach World Cup qualifiers!

It was quite tiring but I hope it's quite clear now!

bhisma
June 2, 2007, 10:55 PM
THanks for giving me idea , really i wasnt clear but u make me cleared.

bhisma
June 2, 2007, 10:58 PM
HEY FRENS THE NEXT 2011 WORLD CUP TROPHY WOULD BE IN THE HANDS OF SOUTH ASIAN COUNTRY.YEAH SOUTH ASIAN !!!

bd_fan_from_india
June 2, 2007, 11:00 PM
nepal is also qualifying for the 2010 and future asia cups if they finish at the top 2(or 4 if there r 8 teams) in the acc trophy 2008 & beyond. in the asia cups, if nepal happens to beat 1 of the 4 big teams of asia in an odi, that might make icc take notice and provide nepal odi status as well. but i think u guys should try to get test status within the next 5 years

rah
June 3, 2007, 09:58 AM
nepal is also qualifying for the 2010 and future asia cups if they finish at the top 2(or 4 if there r 8 teams) in the acc trophy 2008 & beyond. in the asia cups, if nepal happens to beat 1 of the 4 big teams of asia in an odi, that might make icc take notice and provide nepal odi status as well. but i think u guys should try to get test status within the next 5 years

i fink 5 years is too little time, but hey the truth is nepal have a good future in cricket. and with the help of the oter asian nations, nepal can go far

Rabz
June 5, 2007, 07:44 AM
Would love to see Nepal, Afghanistan, China and any other country....
China's inclusion would be a massive boost for cricket in general.
Bring on the Chinaman's.

istiak
June 7, 2007, 07:02 PM
Would love to see Nepal, Afghanistan, China and any other country....
China's inclusion would be a massive boost for cricket in general.
Bring on the Chinaman's.

Yah........Chaina can change the whole cricket world.......but only if they they really want to play cricket