PDA

View Full Version : A proposal about opening threads

WarWolf
May 14, 2007, 10:13 AM
I think the quality of most of the threads came down vertically in last couple of weeks, specially threads opened by newbies. I think this is the time when some restriction about opening threads to be implemented just in order to keep the quality of the site high.

I am proposing that nobody having status below ODI cricketer can open thread directly. He/she needs to send a message to mods containing the thread opening proposal. The mods will review this and they will decide whether the thread is eligible to be put in the forum.

I think this will keep the quality of the threads high here in BC. Just like to know your feedbacks.

radagast
May 14, 2007, 10:27 AM
I have absolutely no clue if I qualify or not, or if my opinion counts in that matter, but I second that.

BonBon
May 14, 2007, 10:28 AM
I myself have thought about that, and I bet many other have too.

But then..good, bad, ugly, useless and utterly pathetic..all these classifications make up the BC forum vibrant. Its not about the expert opinion, scholarly discussion and surgical dissection of the events that make a forum....its the average crowd..where the 'legends' and 'guru's make understandable comments, guys like babubangla, fazal make humorous and witty comments, many others be controversial and immediately disliked..many others pessimists..many others optimists..(got the idea).

I think its ok to open threads for the newbies because it just starts another thread of fun. Why be dry, when everybody can contribute?

Sending the Mods an application to open a thread..that makes me nervous. The mods/staffs here are too axe-wielding and dominating (even ordinary members like Zahid is frequent to act - his common submission is 'useless thread, delete!.) They bark at anything that they dont like. It probably is necessary to maintain the base quality..but indeed they have no tolerance for diverse ideas. (Mods/Staff: Chill :D)

I think the quality of most of the threads came down vertically in last couple of weeks, specially threads opened by newbies. I think this is the time when some restriction about opening threads to be implemented just in order to keep the quality of the site high.

I am proposing that nobody having status below ODI cricketer can open thread directly. He/she needs to send a message to mods containing the thread opening proposal. The mods will review this and they will decide whether the thread is eligible to be put in the forum.

I think this will keep the quality of the threads high here in BC. Just like to know your feedbacks.

SS
May 14, 2007, 10:34 AM
I will wait till what other members say...BC should have quality thread openners as BC retained its quality and emerged as a great source of BD cricket; On top of it this site was mentioned as one of the leading favorite BD cricket sites in big interment medias covering crickets associated with BD cricket. Thanks to all the hardwork of the great BC teams and its beloved passionate members. It's our duty to preserve the dignity we have achieved to all internet cricket community, so we should maintain a standard.

Tigers_eye
May 14, 2007, 10:35 AM
This thread should have a pole attached to it. Mods can do that.

I would vote against putting any limitations. Freedom. One has the choice not to post on thread that seems to be bad. Soccer's thread is just pulling people's leg. That is why I didn't post there. What he says one must reverse it and see what he is saying. Actually he is a Sakib fan. :) He wants the "BC Joker" title I presume.

DJ Sahastra
May 14, 2007, 10:37 AM
I think every newbie should get an equal chance as the 'seasoned veterans' to open threads.

There should be no undue privileges to anyone.

JonGono Dhorle Thaise Korba HauMau.

Hatebreed
May 14, 2007, 10:41 AM
I think a thread like this belongs in the Support forum.

SS
May 14, 2007, 10:43 AM
Agree!

WarWolf
May 14, 2007, 10:45 AM

Then Mods please change the location of the thread. Sorry for opening it in wrong place.

Zunaid
May 14, 2007, 11:01 AM
As myself.

I do not think there should be any restrictions to opening threads to anyone. Who is to say that today's newbie is tomorrow's star? Just because we are getting a tad bit overwhelmed by l33ters, trolls, and smiley bandy-about-ers does not mean we need to arbitrarily disenfranchise a lot of people. As veteran of usenet of almost 20 years, the best recourse is to simply ignore these posts. Eventually they will lose interest or figure out how to improve their communication skills to actually have a conversation.

babubangla
May 14, 2007, 01:01 PM
I guess "Newbie" is a forum-equivalent term for "Minnow".
Be patient and let these forum minnows play a while.
Soon enough they will learn the trick of the trade and start kicking the Big Boy's Butt.:)

cricket_pagol
May 14, 2007, 01:16 PM
I guess "Newbie" is a forum-equivalent term for "Minnow".
Be patient and let these forum minnows play a while.
Soon enough they will learn the trick of the trade and start kicking the Big Boy's Butt.:)

LOL, the newbies have been given some privileges that they are not ready to handle. With time it should be OK.

Some of the new members have opened some really nice threads and kept BC active.

May be there can be a voting system for threads... if a certain gets a large number of down votes (80%) then it should be removed.

damalChele
May 14, 2007, 02:45 PM
"...dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom."
- braveheart

ialbd
May 14, 2007, 03:06 PM
yea for the past few weeks (months), didnt quite enjoy my time in BC as I did when I joined. Although I want more ppl to join, quality thread is a must. BC has gained a lot of fame and is getting more popular but the quality has declined for sure.

So before someone comes up with a thread like 'Lets kill Mashrafee', I think the only thing that can be done is more MOD work. MODs should delete the 'poor' threads right away (not just lock it) and give warning (or just a msg) no matter if its a newbie or a guru (Asif bhai watch it !!!)...

that requires 24 hour monitoring but with our mods/staffs from all across the globe I think someone is online at any given time of the day. The mods are doing it now anyways but may be they can be a bit more 'picky'.....

That permisson/thread post will only discourage ppl from opening a new thread.....

Fazal
May 14, 2007, 04:07 PM
That permisson/thread post will only discourage ppl from opening a new thread.....

I agree... ajkal Manush Joney-ra shokuner moto jey Bhabey bosey thakey and Heinar Moto attack korey... forget about newbie.... the oldies are also afraid now a days to open a new thread...... na jnai key offended hoi.

Mohiul
May 14, 2007, 05:19 PM
ATTN: Mods & admins, can we have a database regarding the performance of all the BD-match-thread openers please?

Rubu
May 14, 2007, 05:46 PM
Being ODI cricketer would be too much. But 50 post AND 2 weeks might not be a bad idea, in my opinion. This would actually prevent spammers or free advertisers as well

al Furqaan
May 14, 2007, 07:44 PM
Being ODI cricketer would be too much. But 50 post AND 2 weeks might not be a bad idea, in my opinion. This would actually prevent spammers or free advertisers as well

and trolls...

Zunaid
May 14, 2007, 07:52 PM
ATTN: Mods & admins, can we have a database regarding the performance of all the BD-match-thread openers please?

Why don't you volunteer to generate the stats?

Zunaid
May 14, 2007, 07:54 PM
and trolls...

Just ignore the trolls. Except that some folks (not you) cannot differentiate between trolls and non-trolls. They will swallow hook line and sinker and.... Sometimes I feel that we should ban the bait-swallower more than the trolls. Just in case, someone takes umbrage at this: I am speaking for myself. And somewhere in my post, humor is involved.

Hatebreed
May 14, 2007, 08:03 PM
But baits are yummy!

May 14, 2007, 08:58 PM
What!? What'd I do?

Zunaid
May 14, 2007, 09:12 PM
What!? What'd I do?

Lol. You are to be banned now. :)

Nocturnal
May 14, 2007, 10:03 PM
What!? What'd I do?

Faisha gesen bhai :lol::lol::lol:

Orpheus
May 14, 2007, 10:04 PM
dhuru faltu thread...

Hitler bhai, delete this thread...

Nocturnal
May 14, 2007, 10:04 PM
Being ODI cricketer would be too much. But 50 post AND 2 weeks might not be a bad idea......

I'm with Rubu bhai's idea.

sunny747
May 15, 2007, 02:17 AM
Good to see all the heavy ton guys are in one thread.......all the posts here are logical and reasonable......which is hardly seen these days. I think there should be some restrictions. I don't like the idea of sending the topic to the mod. In tha case you need to have full time mod for sure. But i guess, one should have 100+ posts to be eligible to open a thread. It takes some time to understand the environtment here and a century should be enough. thanks.

WarWolf
May 15, 2007, 02:46 AM
I think we need to attach a poll with this thread now, i should have done this initially. Mods, is there any way to do it now?

ammark
May 15, 2007, 05:18 AM
Some people may thrive on one-liners, others on match thread posts. Esp after the World Cup started we've seen a good increase of members even reaching First Class Cricketer status, but I certainly cant generalise that all their posts are (or are not) good quality. Essentially BanglaCricket cant be expected to be a free-for-all forum, there must be some quality control mechanism extra of the existing board rules in regulating threads.

Since we're talking about number of posts as the qualifier, I'm assuming entirely that it wont be dependent on "Club Cricketer" or "One day cricketer status" but a certain number of posts. I somehow am not convinced that just 50 or 100 posts might be enough for quality attaining objectives. Setting a minimum number of even 100 or 200 could hypothetically encourage some posters to post separately and get their post count up and thus "qualify" as thread starting members.

I really do second the motion that there has to be a thread review system by the mods for threads that new members want to start. So, Just throwing open the thought that Mods could perhaps delegate this responsibility to Banglacricket Staff members... and most staff are tenured "Test Cricketers" here anyway. No offense guys, but I for one dont exactly know what "staff" do, so maybe this'd be ideal.

Mohiul
May 15, 2007, 05:21 AM
Why don't you volunteer to generate the stats?

I would love to but I don't know how to generate this sort of stats?

cricman
May 15, 2007, 08:12 AM
Just create a blacklist of a person creates 2 faltu thread then the person is on the blacklist which means they woul be temporally banned, obviously if they try toc ome with a new alias there IP's would match

Shafin
May 17, 2007, 12:45 AM
You cant stop waterflow,it will flow one way or another,impose too much bans and the members will divert,much like the WC crowd.So I believe the present status is the best,and mods are always there to delete a thread if necessary(I have to admit,some even love to delete when it is not necessary;))

And the Controlist one's,you sound too much like Bush :D

WarWolf
May 17, 2007, 03:56 AM
And the Controlist one's,you sound too much like Bush :D

Bhai ei kotha bolar cheye ektu juta dia bari mere jaan.

Sohel
May 17, 2007, 05:50 PM
the simple truth is: freedom protects us all in a subjective universe, where it's a matter of time before we're the target if that freedom is subject to the tyranny of unilateral power... besides, i think there's ample storage in cyberspace. so let's just choose not to deal with something we don't like, rather than try to silence it... just a thought. :)

i say live and let live... and let God judge when it's time.

ammark
May 19, 2007, 04:03 PM
Alright, enough is enough. Seeing 7 of coolguy121's 7 threads on his sign up day, reinforces the need for a policy to keep these newbies at check. One of the threads has been rather nicely dimissed outright by IanW, another just exposes his shallow understanding of BD cricket, and so on.

Can we please take a firm stand on some sort of policy?

2ndly.. I understand there are some new members now, but their repetitive postings of just
lolzis at times seemingly a violation of forum rules (ie. one liners... without substance). I sincerely hope this doesnt get out of hand. It does bring down the quality of threads.

GoldenAsif
May 20, 2007, 06:36 AM
A balance needs to be struck.

For example people should be allowed to say what they want or open threads but only if it is not offensive or just "wrong", e.g. a thread which someone started about what Habibul Bashar would do after he retires including speculation about him being a farmer etc, which was just an excuse to engage in Bashar bashing (lol..has a ring to it...Bashar bashing) and personal ridicule on him. Anyway the right thing was eventually done and this pointless topic was deleted.

WarWolf
May 29, 2007, 03:48 AM
Watching a lot of controversial posts last couple of days, I think we need to give a second thought about open threads.

Mods, is it still possbile to attach a poll with this thread? If yes, then please do it.

Ganguly da
May 29, 2007, 05:17 AM
Yes I have seen this being implemented in other threads..... like no one with posts below 100 can open threads... I think this will really help the cause a lot

zahid
May 30, 2007, 04:57 PM
What we could do is

Newbies CAN NOT open more than 2 threads per day until they reach 50 posts.

This can be secretly implemented and not documented in the Board rules.... otherwise, it defeats the purpose.

Zunaid
May 30, 2007, 05:05 PM
Yes I have seen this being implemented in other threads..... like no one with posts below 100 can open threads... I think this will really help the cause a lot

This may be self-defeating. Instead of a few (or perhaps more than a few) "useless" threads, the perpetrators will now be compelled to swamp existing threads with "me too", "one liner quotes" and other such annoying artifice to increase their post-counts. Imagine the burden on our moderators then!

The best thing to do is to ignore these threads. There really no need for some one and his/her 50 other friends to post "stupid thread" and what not. This keeps the so called stupid thread alive with even more stupid posts and ad nauseum ad infinitum.

If y'all let it go or use the report button, the moderators can take appropriate action without things getting too far out of hand.

Patience is often a virtue. Ask our cricketers :)

Nocturnal
July 10, 2007, 03:52 PM
Mods: What are the options for members if someone thinks that a NEW thread is utterly redundant and needs to merged with a current OLD thread? Plz advice.

AsifTheManRahman
July 10, 2007, 04:08 PM
Mods: What are the options for members if someone thinks that a NEW thread is utterly redundant and needs to merged with a current OLD thread? Plz advice.

You can either report it or pm a mod of your choice.

-mod.info

Nocturnal
July 10, 2007, 04:19 PM
You can either report it or pm a mod of your choice.

-mod.info

Thanks.

Ganguly da
July 10, 2007, 08:50 PM
I think after certain no. of posts, members should get the option to delete their own msgs....any comments?

ammark
July 10, 2007, 09:55 PM
I think after certain no. of posts, members should get the option to delete their own msgs....any comments?

You can already do that when you "Edit Post" and go Advanced. Afaik, there's an option given there that says "Delete Message"

Ganguly da
July 11, 2007, 07:43 PM
what about adding a poll later on while editing?

Puck
August 26, 2007, 03:10 PM
personally, i find two liners about an ongoing match situation to be the most annoying. what is the point of posting to state that a team is 1-0 and then again, what a fantastic freekick, followed by, oh nom, it is 1-1 now! why not wait till the end of the match and post one final analysis?

Omio
August 26, 2007, 04:32 PM
-mod.info

hoinai tou-
eta hobe- www.bc-mod.info (http://www.bc-mod.info) :)