PDA

View Full Version : The Underarm Bowling Incident of 1981

babubangla
May 14, 2007, 03:15 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/1981Underarm.jpg

Just found this video of the infamous Underarm Bowling Incident of 1981.
I heard so much about it and was glad to find the video in youtube.
This disgraceful historic incident involves Trevor Chapel and Greg Chapel- the former coach and the possible future coach of Bangladesh Cricket Team.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K65_spUU05s"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K65_spUU05s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Wikipedia Description of the Incident:

An infamous incident involving an underarm delivery occurred on February 1, 1981 when Australia was playing New Zealand in a One-Day International, the third of five cricket matches in the final of the Benson & Hedges World Series Cup at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.[1]

New Zealand needed six runs to tie the match from the final ball, with eight wickets down. The Australian captain (Greg Chappell) ordered the bowler (his brother, Trevor Chappell) to bowl underarm: rolling the ball along the ground to avoid the possibility that the No. 10 New Zealand batsman (Brian McKechnie) would score a six from the last ball to tie the match.

Australia won the game, but the New Zealand batsmen marched off in disgust, and since that day the underarm bowling incident has been a source of discussion, both heated and jocular, between Australians and New Zealanders.

It was described as "the most disgusting incident I can recall in the history of cricket" by the then Prime Minister of New Zealand, Rob Muldoon, who also said that "It was an act of cowardice and I consider it appropriate that the Australian team were wearing yellow". Even the Australian Prime Minister, Malcolm Fraser, called the act "contrary to the traditions of the game".

Brian McKechnie bears no ill will over the incident[2] but both Chappell brothers have publicly stated their embarrassment over the incident and, over 25 years later, are still reluctant to discuss it.

As a direct result of the incident, underarm bowling was banned in limited overs cricket by the International Cricket Council as not within the spirit of the game.

New Zealand cricketer Warren Lees recounted the underarm incident on New Zealand's 20/20 current-affairs show, on Thursday 17 February 2005. He said for long after the affair there was silence in the dressing room, which was broken suddenly and unexpectedly by fellow player Mark Burgess smashing a tea cup.

On February 17, 2005, 24 years after the original underarm delivery, Australian fast bowler Glenn McGrath light-heartedly revisited the incident in the first ever Twenty20 international, played between Australia and New Zealand. In the last over of the match, a grinning McGrath pretended to bowl an underarm delivery to Kyle Mills which prompted New Zealand umpire Billy Bowden to produce a mock red card. This drew a large reception from the crowd, which was mostly made up of New Zealand fans, and echoed the good spirits in which the whole game had been played.

Articel and Photo Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underarm_bowling_incident_1981)

damalChele
May 14, 2007, 03:33 PM
He didn't break the law of cricket.

Tigers_eye
May 14, 2007, 04:46 PM
He won't be our coach. He is an advisor for the Team India.

Seems like John Wright would be SL's coach.

Hatebreed
May 14, 2007, 06:39 PM
He didn't break the rule, even though it was stupid to allow an underarm delivery, it was a disgrace nonetheless.

ialbd
May 14, 2007, 07:19 PM
i think theres more glory in taking that defeat over getting tagged for a disgrace like this for the rest of your life.....

gatekeeper
May 15, 2007, 10:54 AM
Great find, thanks for the trip down memory lane. I am actually old enough to remember this when it happened. Even the Prime Minister of NZ got into the act and wanted some Aussie heads to roll.

One wonders how someone like Greg Chappell is rehabilitated in the game of cricket and has the opportunity to coach a premiere side.

OZGOD
May 16, 2007, 12:59 AM
Great find, thanks for the trip down memory lane. I am actually old enough to remember this when it happened. Even the Prime Minister of NZ got into the act and wanted some Aussie heads to roll.

One wonders how someone like Greg Chappell is rehabilitated in the game of cricket and has the opportunity to coach a premiere side.

Well, considering even criminals generally get rehabilitated after paying their debt to society, I don't think it's unreasonable for cricket players to do the same. Particularly if it's a first offence. It's the same for those found guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs, match fixing (depending on level and frequency of course), chucking, bowling beamers, etc.

Everyone deserves a second shot, to make amends, after they have paid an appropriate penalty (in Chappell's case, he was vilified for years both in and out of Australia, and his name will forever be tainted with poor sportsmanship). If they do it again, well, that's another story - it means they're not learning. Boot them out in that case.

Anyway, here's an interview with Brian McKechnie, the bloke who the delivery was bowled to, from the Age last year.

On February 1, 1981, Australia set the Kiwis 236 runs to win the third and deciding final of the one-day series. McKechnie walked out to bat with one ball left; seven runs to win, six to tie. Australian captain Greg Chappell proceeded to lose the plot.

Ignoring Rod Marsh's protestations of "No! No!" from behind the stumps, Chappell ordered his brother Trevor to bowl underarm in a move he describes as the biggest regret of his career.

"I look back on it more humorously now than I did on the day," McKechnie said from NZ.

"Twenty-five years is a long time. I wish it all went away the day after it happened, to be honest. I wish it never happened. It still gets raised in other contexts, inside and outside of sport. When someone thinks Australia have done something to NZ they shouldn't have, the underarm comes up again.

"We were pissed off at the time, but I never thought it would become an issue. Let's face it, the chances of hitting a six off that ball were remote. But I suppose we were denied the opportunity. A six would have only been a draw, we wouldn't have even won.

"Next day, the prime minister got involved, everyone was talking about it and a lot of people still are. I had no idea it would still be coming up 25 years later."

McKechnie and Trevor Chappell plan to give their versions of events at functions to be held in Auckland early next month and Sydney in March.

And yes, if McKechnie, now 51, has heard it once how he should have flicked the ball in the air and belted it over the fence, he has heard it a million times.

"An hour or two after the game, when we'd all had a shower and were back at the hotel, we were joking about it, trying to work out how you could hit a six off an underarm," McKechnie recalled.

"We tried a few years later to flick it up and hit it. You can flick it up if the ball is at the right pace, but the coordination of it is damn difficult. And then you'd have to hit it about 90 metres for it to be six at the MCG. I would defy anyone to do that.

"When we tried, it took about 30 or 40 goes to get to the level where you could actually hit the ball. But we could only hit it 40 metres."

"I'm sure Greg wishes he had never given the instruction and Trevor wishes he never had to carry it out," McKechnie said. "Everyone has times in their life when you look back and think, 'Geez, I wish I hadn't done that.'

"It's probably one of those times for Greg. It was within the rules of the game, so you couldn't argue against that, but you could argue against the spirit of it."

Full article HERE (http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/25-years-along-kiwi-bat-sees-funnier-side-of-it/2006/01/22/1137864806682.html)

ammark
May 16, 2007, 02:49 AM
And dont forget, Trevor Chappell *WAS* our coach for a time being :P No one dug up the memories then, eh?

Hmm, I knew that even to bowl underarm in cricket, a one complete revolution of the arm was required. Interesting how now apparently I've always had the wrong impression - trevor chappel merely "bowled" the ball like you would with Irish Road Bowling or 10 pin bowling.

And my, this brought back old memories. I remember this youthful Richie Benaud was the face of cricket for the once a week show they'd show on BTV back in the 1980s :-)

crikss
May 16, 2007, 03:06 AM
If u count the law may be he is legal but when you saw the incident it is really awful

Nocturnal
May 16, 2007, 03:12 AM
If u count the law may be he is legal but when you saw the incident it is really awful

agreed....against spirit of the game.

Welcome crikss. Enjoy your stay here.

cricketboy
May 16, 2007, 03:23 AM
Grag Chappel-disgraceful captain+coach!

Nafi
May 16, 2007, 05:29 AM
Hmm, I knew that even to bowl underarm in cricket, a one complete revolution of the arm was required.

That is not a rule, because Tait and malinga do no bowl a complete revolution.

Sohel
May 21, 2007, 03:07 PM
thanks for the vid... ian wouldn't have done it...

rah
May 28, 2007, 07:32 AM
it is a disgrace but at the time he werent breakin the rules

Electrequiem
June 3, 2007, 12:57 PM
although underarm deliveries were banned in other tournaments, the BH cup rules did not mention anything in particular. so it was perfectly legal, although cowardly.

SideWinder
June 3, 2007, 04:50 PM
ROFL at NZL batsman just throwing his bat...and walking off.

BD style:

Hala....tore ami...(chucks bat...attempts to walk off like a g)....oooh...ui BAT-ta, 100 taka diya kinsi..new market theke...rekhe gele era churi korbo...abar tulya ani...jak!!

SideWinder
June 3, 2007, 04:51 PM
although underarm deliveries were banned in other tournaments, the BH cup rules did not mention anything in particular. so it was perfectly legal, although cowardly.

VERY COWARDly.:sick: