PDA

View Full Version : Your thought: Was there any possibility to win the test match?


sheikh
May 22, 2007, 03:42 PM
To see the reaction of some of our fellow BC members I am quite surprised. To me, 250 from 43 overs were not on the cards even from the beginning. Considering the light condition (India could use faster bowlers in the dark condition) and slow over-rate (If there was a possibility to loose, they could waste some time) as options for India, the actual number of overs could not be more than 35-38 in any consideration. So, it is obvious that BD team management have planned well not to target a win which could just look ugly at the end.

Well, this is only my opinion. There is a very thin line between being brave and foolish. Our team management didn't really cross that thin line to prove them fool. Or Did they?

Please feel free to prove (logically) me wrong, if you have voted YES.

Lets appreciate the well calculated decision of our team management and congratulate the team for their great show, if you are with me to vote NO.

Nafi
May 22, 2007, 03:45 PM
YES

btw dont you know how to make a poll

sheikh
May 22, 2007, 03:51 PM
YES

btw dont you know how to make a poll

NO :( . This is my first one.

Mike
May 22, 2007, 03:51 PM
I voted for yes. For sure BD goanna win this Test series, if Ash/Mash take captaincy and new blood added to this test squad. Pilot should be kicked out and Rahim should be in.

bulbul_fan
May 22, 2007, 03:56 PM
guys, be practical.
we could not win like this match without batsman like aftab and tamim and only australia can win like this matchs. I think bd did good job!!!!
rahul dravid is not fool .He diclared thinking bd will loose quick wickes and they can put us under pressure!!!
I think sending rajin at no. 4 was good decision!

akabir77
May 22, 2007, 04:00 PM
if it was some other team may be but Bangladesh after the 13 month gap and 1st innings batting don't see how player even might get the courage.

Hatebreed
May 22, 2007, 04:19 PM
I think there was an 'opportunity' to win, had we taken a more aggressive approach from the 10th over.

billah
May 22, 2007, 04:21 PM
Win or lose, we should have tried. Habla's mindframe killed it.

amra_korbo_joy
May 22, 2007, 04:26 PM
why Mortoza was not sent just to give a try. If he is out then nothing is lost, because he is not a batsman. But he could make 50 with 40 bowls. There was definately a chance to win since Anil Kumble was not there.

DJ Sahastra
May 22, 2007, 04:29 PM
Until Dravid declared, Game was a 100% draw.

With 43 overs to go and 250 to get, BD had 30% chance of winning the game and 60% chance of Drawing the game and 10% chance of losing the game.

If BD had gone for an outright win (win no matter what), both India and BD had 50-50 Chance of winning the game.

ammark
May 22, 2007, 04:29 PM
You cant win, if you dont try! Did we even TRY?

Zunaid
May 22, 2007, 04:32 PM
Interesting last para from our fan's newest addition to their hated Cricinfo authors list, Sidharth Monga.

Here, both the teams contrived to bring the game to a point where 250 runs were required off the last 43 overs. A more experienced side would have gone for this target; then again, a more experienced side would not have been set this target.What we (Bangladesh) lost in the draw was an opportunity to prove we were now a more experienced side. What we lost was an opportunity to say we are men and not boys. What we lost was yet another opportunity to say we are not minnows.

We let Dravid insult us (metaphorically speaking) and we took it lying down. Even if we had lost making a go of it, I personally would have been able to lift my head higher. I cannot fathom a reason why our own players would not have felt the same. Even in a loss. Which would have been a win. Not a damp draw.

MSR-BD
May 22, 2007, 04:41 PM
why Mortoza was not sent just to give a try. If he is out then nothing is lost, because he is not a batsman. But he could make 50 with 40 bowls. There was definately a chance to win since Anil Kumble was not there.

Exactly, well said…………if we can understand this, why can’t the cricketing brains realize it……….it huts when team takes safety over win………………make no mistake, loosing was the last option yesterday…………and you won’t find too many of this kind of opportunity in test cricket..............as always excuse.......we did not play 13 months...by drawing we actualy earn respect.......blah, blah, blah..........!

sheikh
May 22, 2007, 04:42 PM
I think there was an 'opportunity' to win, had we taken a more aggressive approach from the 10th over.

After making 30-40 (I dont remember the exact score actually) in first 10 overs the match was gone. We needed 200+ runs from 33 overs!! The actual point is, why are we considering 43 overs? It was always going to be 5-7 overs short. And that means we had to score 200+ from 25-28 overs. Still u think it was possible?

tigerpower
May 22, 2007, 04:49 PM
i would have voted "yes" if Gilchrist and Hayden were our opening batsmen

cricket_pagol
May 22, 2007, 04:51 PM
Interesting last para from our fan's newest addition to their hated Cricinfo authors list, Sidharth Monga.

What we (Bangladesh) lost in the draw was an opportunity to prove we were now a more experienced side. What we lost was an opportunity to say we are men and not boys. What we lost was yet another opportunity to say we are not minnows.

We let Dravid insult us (metaphorically speaking) and we took it lying down. Even if we had lost making a go of it, I personally would have been able to lift my head higher. I cannot fathom a reason why our own players would not have felt the same. Even in a loss. Which would have been a win. Not a damp draw.

Very well said, the fact that we were not up to Dravid's challenge was embarrassing. I think if we went for it and lost a couple of wickets, we could have still settled for a draw. The draw was under our control... Bashar's excuse showed that the team had no plan of chasing, he said "we lost too many early wickets and there was not enough runs". The truth is that we lost one wicket early and our start was decent ( 49/1 at the 10 over mark)... JO and Bashar failed to accelerate in the middle overs as overs 11-21 yeilded only 33 runs when we had 9 wickets in hand and there were plenty of gaps in the field courtesy of Dravid's aggressive field settings!!! Then, Bashar unwittingly showed his intent by sending in Rajin.

I guess it was a real blow for the fans... we cannot expect greatness from this team as long as players like JO and Bashar are there... they just don't have the skills to accelerate when required. Their experience, often becomes poison for the team :(

sheikh
May 22, 2007, 04:54 PM
Until Dravid declared, Game was a 100% draw.

With 43 overs to go and 250 to get, BD had 30% chance of winning the game and 60% chance of Drawing the game and 10% chance of losing the game.

If BD had gone for an outright win (win no matter what), both India and BD had 50-50 Chance of winning the game.

Well, theoritically, yes...there might be a chance to win a match by chasing 250 in 43 overs. But India always had the chance to slowdown the over-rate if BD was going with the required rate. Additionally, they could use Zaheer khan or RP Singh in the final overs when it becomes darker. So, it was a safe decision for Dravid. Although, apparently it looked as if he is making a sporting decision for the game, but it was the best decision for his side to give themselves a slim chance of winnng. I ll call it as 20 % chance that India could win and 80 % for the match to be drawn.

cricket_pagol
May 22, 2007, 04:56 PM
At the 10th over mark, we were 49/1... we definitely ensured draw at this point. A more aggressive approach was needed at this point... again the problem is Bashar and JO just does not have the shots and the required skills. I am sure bashar is aware of his limitations, so he should have promoted players like ashraful to have go

sheikh
May 22, 2007, 05:00 PM
why Mortoza was not sent just to give a try. If he is out then nothing is lost, because he is not a batsman. But he could make 50 with 40 bowls. There was definately a chance to win since Anil Kumble was not there.

With Tamim, Aftab, Mortoza all our hitting power we had only once chased a score of 250 or above in ODIs!! With Power playes, with 4 men in the inner ring, with limited no of overs for each bowler!!

Why cant we make that change to happen in ODIs??
Should not we be more realistic?

ialbd
May 22, 2007, 05:01 PM
the fact that we never tried only bothers me....

BD could have gambled atleast the first 4 batsman (they falter most of the time anyway)...... it wudnt have been that difficult to earn a draw with even 5 men down.... jaihok past is past... enuf out of me....

cricman
May 22, 2007, 05:06 PM
After making 30-40 (I dont remember the exact score actually) in first 10 overs the match was gone.

51/1 after 10, that leaves us 33 overs to chase 199 and a RRR: 6.09
82/2 after 21, that leaves us 22 overs to chase 168 and a RRR: 7.6+

Then you bring in Ash and Masri, I've seen Ash score ball 18 ball 40 vs Sri Lanka in a Test and 25 of 15 vs Australia. A quick cameo like that would out pressure on India and of course he could of done more (or less) Same goes go Masri. I'll go with a realistic scenario now.

I'll Assume 160/4 with 10 overs RRR of 9 with Rafique, Sakib, Rajin, Pilot and Rajib.

I could of lived losing if they couldn't do it as long as they tried.

CTazim
May 22, 2007, 05:07 PM
This is exactly what we need!!!


People need to understand that . With respect to slow over rate and bad light. Please go and read the rule book. The last 15 overs on last day is mandatory. So keep that in mind. Few others have pointed that out- keep saying the slow over rate and bad light again.

In our 36 years of independence I have heard our predecessors (used to being subordinated to Pakistanis) say things like "we were given an opportunity to play that is good enough". Now we need to get fresh blood.

I am glad to view Zunaid's post!!!




Interesting last para from our fan's newest addition to their hated Cricinfo authors list, Sidharth Monga.

What we (Bangladesh) lost in the draw was an opportunity to prove we were now a more experienced side. What we lost was an opportunity to say we are men and not boys. What we lost was yet another opportunity to say we are not minnows.

We let Dravid insult us (metaphorically speaking) and we took it lying down. Even if we had lost making a go of it, I personally would have been able to lift my head higher. I cannot fathom a reason why our own players would not have felt the same. Even in a loss. Which would have been a win. Not a damp draw.

Hatebreed
May 22, 2007, 05:07 PM
After making 30-40 (I dont remember the exact score actually) in first 10 overs the match was gone. We needed 200+ runs from 33 overs!! The actual point is, why are we considering 43 overs? It was always going to be 5-7 overs short. And that means we had to score 200+ from 25-28 overs. Still u think it was possible?

BD were 50 runs in 9.2 overs (56 balls). The question is not whether there would be enough overs bowled, but to have a go anyway and get as close to a winning position as possible. Even if we didn't win, it would be a mental victory.

DJ Sahastra
May 22, 2007, 05:09 PM
Well, theoritically, yes...there might be a chance to win a match by chasing 250 in 43 overs. But India had always had the chance to slowdown the over-rate if BD was going with the required rate. Additionally, they could use Zaheer khan or RP Singh in the final overs when it becomes darker. So, it was a safe decision for Dravid. Although, apparently it looked, he is making a sporting decision for the game. But it was the best decision fors side to give themselves a slim chance of winnng. I ll call it as 20 % chance that India could win and 80 % for the match to be drawn.

Sheikh,

What "may have" happened is left for speculation. Obviously, Dravid was not gonna let the match be handed over easily and he would've tried everything possible to ensure that if India is not gonna win it, it shouldn't lose it. Indeed, at some point he would've tried defensive tactics. But then he had offered a more than fair chance to his opposition given the circumstances.

The matter of fact is, the game didn't even reach the part where the excuse of "may haves" can be really brought forward. Yes, it may have become dark later, Dravid may have brought fast bowlers and so on. But the game did not even reach the state where Dravid was even contemplating or remotely worried about any of those.

Obviously, Dravid's hope in declaration was that sensing a chance to win, BD batsman might go for it and that will create an opportunity for him too. It was a desperate gambit but more than fair one as far as BD team goes.

That BD team declined the gambit is also fair enough. But BD team would've gained lot of respect if it had taken the gambit and gone for it. For BD team, this draw is a meaningless statistic - there was lot more to be gained by simply going for it till the extent possible before shutting the shop.

Miraz
May 22, 2007, 05:10 PM
There was definitely a possibility to win the Test match, improbable but not impossible.

We could have tried after getting a solid start. I was completely gutted to see the meek attitude by the Team management. Even if we lost couple of quick wickets, we could have played for a draw.

having said that, I really doubt any team except Australia would have gone for winnings the match.

Another problem was the light situation, it was not possible to play for 43 overs, Dravid would have slowed everything down if BD were chasing.

To be honest, we are not gonna learn in this way.

If you never attempt, you will never gain anything.

CTazim
May 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
The poll should have been

1. Was 250 attainable?

1) Completely Agree
2) Somewhat agree
3) Neutral
4) somewhat disagree
5) Completely disagree

2. Did Bashar do the right thing sending Rajin Saleh after he was down?
1) Completely Agree
2) Somewhat agree
3) Neutral
4) somewhat disagree
5) Completely disagree

3) Bashar is "Hajar Bochorer Shrestho Habla"?

1) Completely Agree
2) Somewhat agree
3) Neutral
4) somewhat disagree
5) Completely disagree

sheikh
May 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=CTazim;461034]This is exactly what we need!!!


People need to understand that . With respect to slow over rate and bad light. Please go and read the rule book. The last 15 overs on last day is mandatory.




Laws can force the issue that last 15 overs must be played. But last 15 overs (in the dark due to slow over rate) with pacers in the attack, how can you stop that?

Hatebreed
May 22, 2007, 05:14 PM
Another problem was the light situation, it was not possible to play for 43 overs, Dravid would slowed everything down if BD were chasing.

Now you see if they did that, it would still be our victory. Instead Dravid got the upper-hand by making a sporting declaration with a chance of winning in mind, but we settled for less.

billah
May 22, 2007, 05:17 PM
It was a golden opportunity to show positive intent, regardless of the degree of probability or possibility. We painted ourselves in Bashar yellow yesterday. I would prefer losing the match trying. However, in the least we could have demonstrated positive intent even without taking too much risk. The Habla party killed it all.

sheikh
May 22, 2007, 05:18 PM
There was definitely a possibility to win the Test match, improbable but not impossible.

We could have tried after getting a solid start. I was completely gutted to see the meek attitude by the Team management. Even if we lost couple of quick wickets, we could have played for a draw.

having said that, I really doubt any team except Australia would have gone for winnings the match.

Another problem was the light situation, it was not possible to play for 43 overs, Dravid would have slowed everything down if BD were chasing.

To be honest, we are not gonna learn in this way.

If you never attempt, you will never gain anything.


So...what was your vote? :) YES or NO?

MohammedC
May 22, 2007, 05:19 PM
No, It was impossible because of Basher, He is not attacking captain never was never will be.

sheikh
May 22, 2007, 05:20 PM
It was a golden opportunity to show positive intent, regardless of the degree of probability or possibility. We painted ourselves in Bashar yellow yesterday. I would prefer losing the match trying. However, in the least we could have demonstrated positive intent even without taking too much risk. The Habla party killed it all.

As a cricket lover. I also would have liked to see BD go for a win. But they are professionals playing for the country. Results does matter.

Miraz
May 22, 2007, 05:24 PM
So...what was your vote? :) YES or NO?

Yes. :)

Originally Posted by Miraz
There was definitely a possibility to win the Test match, improbable but not impossible.

sheikh
May 22, 2007, 05:25 PM
Now you see if they did that, it would still be our victory. Instead Dravid got the upper-hand by making a sporting declaration with a chance of winning in mind, but we settled for less.

May be we could support the issue that it was just another decision for Dravid. Because, having the chance to play with time...ball was in his court. May be we are giving Dravid the upper-hand by considering his decision a sporting one...
To me he has just done what his team needed. Safe declaration with a slim chance of winning :)

Hatebreed
May 22, 2007, 05:28 PM
May be we could support the issue that it was just another decision for Dravid. Because, having the chance to play with time...ball was in his court. May be we are giving Dravid the upper-hand by considering his decision a sporting one...
To me he has just done what his team needed. Safe declaration with a slim chance of winning :)

Without declaring it would have been a draw anyway and an even bigger waste of time. I don't think he would have declared when he did against a stronger opponent.

sheikh
May 22, 2007, 05:32 PM
Can anyone show us any record of winning a test match by scoring 250 runs in about 40 overs or so?
I really wonder how many of those will it be!!

Ahsan
May 22, 2007, 05:33 PM
I heard Daryll Harper mentioning use of "artificial light" (flood light) when asked for possibilities by one of the commentators after first inspection. I could be wrong getting it correctly. I will have to listen it again from willow to be sure, but I thought the rule has changed a bit, in case of a possibility of a result, play can be extended to mandatory overs with artificial light or so.
Nonetheless, I strongly agree with Zunaid bhai's opinion. Habla (espanol) just did not have guts, nor will he have in the future, and nor does our management.

[quote=CTazim;461034]
Laws can force the issue that last 15 overs must be played. But last 15 overs (in the dark due to slow over rate) with pacers in the attack, how can you stop that?

Sillypoint
May 22, 2007, 05:33 PM
No, It was impossible because of Basher, He is not attacking captain never was never will be.

In my opinion, we did not go for the win because of Bashar. Going for the chase would mean that BD would have to move to ODI mode. But we all know how bad Bashar is (also Golla) is in accelerating the run rate. Bashar did not want to loose his wicket trying to score quickly....another low score would mean his place even in Test would become uncertain. Why did he not send Masri/Ash? Same logic, if they did well and BD had a realistic chance, Bash would be forced to play in ODI mode. But our HaBa desperately needed to score to keep his place in the team. Plus what if he did not get a chance to bat? People would only remember his 2 ball duck .

This is the price that BD had to pay for keeping him in the team. Time to kick him out!

criccric
May 22, 2007, 06:49 PM
One question that will linger even in the most pessimist BD fan's mind is - what did I gain by not losing? Cannot even get the credit for draw coz that was for the most part driven by rain. On the other hand, if BD had pretended to chase and won or even come close or forced Dravid to become defensive, it would have been a huge not only a short term psychological victory but would have given BD the bragging rights.

As somebody said earlier probably in another thread, going from 4 to 5 (another draw) would not have made a difference, going from 40 to 41 (another loss) would have definitely hurt but would be explanable but going from 0 to 1 (first victory ever against a top team) would have made all the difference to BD's fortunes.

Under any situation, I would say BD wouldnt have won. RD had all the tactical aces up his sleeves and he could have chosen to unveil them at any time he felt threatened.

If you shoot for the moon, you may not get one, but you may still end up among the stars.

sadhat
May 22, 2007, 06:51 PM
read this (in bangla) link (http://www.prothom-alo.org/index.news.details.php?nid=NjkxNg==&PHPSESSID=cc1532ced86944643d8c053640c636d1) . I thought it was possible, but reading this article, I think we did not fall in Indian trap and made a well-deserved draw

dhaka00
May 22, 2007, 07:07 PM
[mod: Read Forum Rules]

gatekeeper
May 22, 2007, 07:07 PM
If you are waiting to things to ahppen for you instead of TRYING to make things happen then you'll never win anything. Yes, this is a big if but once two wickets fell BD smply reverted to a defensive stance. We should've at leat tried. This is also kinda absurd. Our batsmen seem to go for shots when consolidation is required and go on defense when they need to assert themselves.

gatekeeper
May 22, 2007, 07:08 PM
You feeling ok dhaka00?

kmasum
May 23, 2007, 12:09 AM
why Mortoza was not sent just to give a try. If he is out then nothing is lost, because he is not a batsman. But he could make 50 with 40 bowls. There was definately a chance to win since Anil Kumble was not there.

i'm totally agree wit u buddy....we should have atlest tried...guess we r stll bunch of pussycat....

nzfan
May 23, 2007, 12:10 AM
there wasnt a chance to win, did you see what happened to india when they tried to force the pace?

100/6

AsifTheManRahman
May 23, 2007, 12:24 AM
Yes, there was definitely a chance, and we should have gone for it. We probably wouldn't have made it though, due to several reasons. However, we definitely should have given it a shot. With five wickets down for below a hundred runs, we would have had enough opportunities to lay the dead bat down and settle for a tame draw.

Ekhon bepar holo ja howar ta to howe gese. Monder bhalo bolte gele ektai - our top order got to knock the ball around a bit ahead of the second test. What we need to do from here is to make sure that situations like this don't come up again, i.e. try and change the attitude of the managment and some of the players, and make appropriate replacements if necessary.

Bottom line - hire McInnes, and everything else will follow.

sheikh
May 23, 2007, 12:36 AM
there wasnt a chance to win, did you see what happened to india when they tried to force the pace?

100/6

I totally agree with you. As I told in my first post, there is a thin line between being brave and foolish! And I am happy to see that our team management did not try to be brave. It was a trap and our team management was smart enough to understand that.

sheikh
May 23, 2007, 12:55 AM
read this (in bangla) link (http://www.prothom-alo.org/index.news.details.php?nid=NjkxNg==&PHPSESSID=cc1532ced86944643d8c053640c636d1) . I thought it was possible, but reading this article, I think we did not fall in Indian trap and made a well-deserved draw

This is exactly what I am trying to say in this thread.

Can anyone show us any record of winning a test match by scoring 250 runs in about 40 overs or so?
I really wonder how many of those will it be!!

bd_fan_from_india
May 23, 2007, 01:10 AM
there was no chance of bd winning after being set 250 in 43 overs. bd hasnt pulled off spectacular chases except the one against aus in odis. i cant understand how come bd would have won this. but the best any bd fan could have hoped was for bd to try to win. after the target was set, there was 90% chance of a draw and 10% of an indian win.

also, a few years ago sl were set about 180 to win off 36 overs, yet they played safe and drew the match

Surfer
May 23, 2007, 01:16 AM
In my opinoin, there was no realistic chance for BD to win the match.

roi
May 23, 2007, 01:46 AM
I voted for yes. For sure BD goanna win this Test series, if Ash/Mash take captaincy and new blood added to this test squad. Pilot should be kicked out and Rahim should be in.

Is this the reason to go for win in a test match where you need to score 250 runs in 43 overs at 5.81 per over?
R you guys really follow test cricket?
Dont you mixing up with ODI?

My understanding is BD management had a great deceission to go for draw and get a upper hand over India. Those you are dreaming of a possible 'fatafati run chase'.....there were no change of pinch heating in the test cricket. When you loose your first wicket at 12(runs), you need to get your head down and bat calculatively.

PoorFan
May 23, 2007, 02:10 AM
There is a phrase in Japanese "own in match but lost in fight", which is a perfect example in this case, though we didn't win the match rather a nothing draw! But we certainly "lost in fight" miserably and pathetically, since we turned our back from the field in the middle, and way early. It doesn't matter what Dravid would do to stop us, doesn't matter what light could play at the end, nor we were in position to lose the game, but turned our back from the field for NOTHING! That's how we miserably "lost in fight"!

Now after almost 24 hours, still I can not digest that approach, and moreover Hablu's comment ( we lost too many wickets ... ) after the match itching me to death. He is such a pathetic liar who cant even lie a decent way. I doubt if he and Dav had anything in mind other than draw after Nafees got out, they just set their mind at that point and never looked back. Which means Hablu & Golla played their little cameo innings in free mind, only to get some runs under their belt and for their career only. Well done losers, be happy now with "Draw Despite Sporting Declare".

Surfer
May 23, 2007, 02:12 AM
I think most people here are living in fantasy land. Ok, can some one find me and tell me on how many occassions a chasing team successfully chased at 5.8 in the fourth innings?

cricket_king
May 23, 2007, 02:16 AM
guys, be practical.
we could not win like this match without batsman like aftab and tamim and only australia can win like this matchs. I think bd did good job!!!!
rahul dravid is not fool .He diclared thinking bd will loose quick wickes and they can put us under pressure!!!
I think sending rajin at no. 4 was good decision!

Man you havent got a clue of what you're saying. Any team would have gone for those runs. I guess Bangladesh decided to play it safe and go for the draw. Disappointing.

shihabBD
May 23, 2007, 03:35 AM
At least we should have try to win the match, i think when we scored 50/1 we had a good chance, if we have lost some quick wickets then we would go for draw.. but something was must be wrong, in the beginning they satrted to get quick runs but suddenly wat happened they changed their mind ( behind all of this are BCCI and whatemore)

sheikh
May 23, 2007, 02:01 PM
I think most people here are living in fantasy land. Ok, can some one find me and tell me on how many occassions a chasing team successfully chased at 5.8 in the fourth innings?

I want to add something with the point you made.

Can we name someone in the cricketing world (famous player or commentator) who thought that Bangladesh should have gone for a win?

Rajowana
May 23, 2007, 02:03 PM
Pilot should be kicked out and Rahim should be in.

i would say the same thing

Sohel
May 23, 2007, 02:06 PM
POSSIBILITY? yes (always).

PROBABILITY? no (or very little).

SHOULD WE HAVE GONE FOR IT? UNDOUBTEDLY!!!

crikss
May 23, 2007, 02:08 PM
I voted for yes. For sure BD goanna win this Test series, if Ash/Mash take captaincy and new blood added to this test squad. Pilot should be kicked out and Rahim should be in.

me also want to see Mushfiq in the test squad...but for which reason i am going to drop Mashud....the only reason i know its Mashud's batting....but that reason is very old...need some new reason:D

Protic
May 23, 2007, 02:12 PM
No chance at all.. Heh none of the teams had a chance to pull out a win..even if we had more than 55 overs..and 98 overs were never a POSSIBILITY.
Mirpur is the place to win or loose.
-____- maybe a DRAW too.

Tigers_eye
May 23, 2007, 02:17 PM
ODI game one:
Bashar waited for Dhoni and kartrik to make a mistake instead of trying to get them out.
ODI game two:
Bashar wanted to playout the innings instead of trying. We scored 238 because mash tried.

Test one:
177 of 27 overs. RRR 6.5. At that time, the match was there for the taking with 9 wickets on hand. A blitz over or two would have been so interesting. But Bashar admitted he wanted to stay the entire time and play for his score instead of trying to win.

Yes we could have won both first ODI and the test if bashar wasn't our captain.

Sohel
May 23, 2007, 02:21 PM
No chance at all.. Heh none of the teams had a chance to pull out a win..even if we had more than 55 overs..and 98 overs were never a POSSIBILITY.
Mirpur is the place to win or loose.
-____- maybe a DRAW too.

is it POSSIBLE to score 100+ in a single over? yes (14 no ball sixers = 98, and 6 singles = 6, total of 104 runs)

is it PROBABLE? maybe not... :D

i voted NO... but we should have gone for it because it was safe to do so.

CTazim
May 23, 2007, 02:36 PM
IT SEEMS THAT I HAVE BEEN MISQUOTED HERE. It is not I who stated anywhere in the post. Moderators please investigate as to why I have been misquoted here. It is not my quote. Correction please!!


[quote=ISmacker;461060]I heard Daryll Harper mentioning use of "artificial light" (flood light) when asked for possibilities by one of the commentators after first inspection. I could be wrong getting it correctly. I will have to listen it again from willow to be sure, but I thought the rule has changed a bit, in case of a possibility of a result, play can be extended to mandatory overs with artificial light or so.
Nonetheless, I strongly agree with Zunaid bhai's opinion. Habla (espanol) just did not have guts, nor will he have in the future, and nor does our management.

Protic
May 23, 2007, 02:52 PM
Sohel : bruv .. =) Way optimistic. Good thing.. =p
Im preparing to celebrate a test series win (1-0) over India..
See .. im neck to neck with you in optimism.. :D

Sohel
May 23, 2007, 05:55 PM
Sohel : bruv .. =) Way optimistic. Good thing.. =p
Im preparing to celebrate a test series win (1-0) over India..
See .. im neck to neck with you in optimism.. :D

it's that power of positive thinking again bro... albeit with a grain of salt as always... :D

al Furqaan
May 23, 2007, 06:38 PM
guys, we DID NOT have a chance.

Dravid is not a bashar, er i mean an idiot. he knew that INDIA's best shot at winning was declaring and trying to entice us to chase 250 and lose all our wickets and lose the test...thereby winning the test for india.

Dravid would not have done this against any other team for 2 reasons:

1) he would think they could actually do it
2) if not, he would know the opposing captain wouldn't be dumb enough to go for it and sacrifice the match.

our captain is beyond dumb. his captaincy makes aborted fetuses seem moderately intelligent if not outright genius. dravid would have had no reason to believe that bashar would actually do the smart (if defeatist) thing and go for a draw.

yes there is no such thing as an honorable loss.

but when you have powerful, influencial and generally hostile neighbors like india, some seemingly acts of cowardice actually turn out to do more damage than pre-mature displays of bravado.

we are not yet *ready* to win a test against India, so fighting them as we did at chittagong is as much humuliation we can inflict.

istiak
May 23, 2007, 07:10 PM
No there was no chance!

Ok i think we need to clear two different issues here.
1) Trying for it (i mean for a win)......I got no argument against it. Yes and yes we should try our best to achive it.
2) Possibility to win that match is a completly different issue and I personally have no doubt that it was not at all possible. 250 runs in 35 overs max? I know it was 43 but more than 35 was not probable. That night we played untill almost 6:00 and only 28 overs were bowled. Any chance of BD win would slowed down that over rate much further.

sheikh
May 24, 2007, 04:23 AM
In the first couple of days the VOTE percentage for NO was always 20-25%. It is increasing day by day and now it is almost 40%!!
Should I consider that our nerve is settling down after the game and we are being more realistic by time? :)