PDA

View Full Version : Afro-Asia Cup Mashrafee to replace Shoaib

sadat_04
May 23, 2007, 02:06 PM
Afro-Asia Cup Mashrafee
to replace Shoaib
Bangladesh pace spearhead Mashrafee bin Murtaza will replace Pakistani pacer Shoaib Akhtar in the Asian ODI squad of the Afro-Asia Cup scheduled to start at Chennai and Bangalore from June 6.
Shoaib is still unfit to take the field after recovering from a back injury that forced the selectors to pick Mashrafee in the squad. He was initially picked for the Twenty20 squad.
The Bangladesh selector of the four-member selectors’ panel ASM Faruque confirmed Mashrafee’s inclusion.
‘He was the automatic choice after Shoaib was ruled out’ said Faruque.
However BCB was in a precarious position about releasing Mashrafee. Lat year the pace star got injured during the Afro-Asia Cup and missed Bangladesh’s Sri Lanka tour. Bangladesh are scheduled to tour the emerald island next month to play three Tests and as many ODIs.

Source: http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html

Protic
May 23, 2007, 02:08 PM
T_T Im no more happy..
REALLY !!

Protic
May 23, 2007, 02:09 PM
If we didnt had an ALL IMPORTANT SL TOUR.. i would have been jumping in joy..since Mashri has this golden oppurtunity to prove it INTERNATIONALLY again..after the world cup.. but now it seems more like a pressure for him.

FaridpurChicago
May 23, 2007, 02:11 PM
Good news for BD, good news for Mashrafe. He's not only the best alrounder in BD but also in the whole asia.
I support him playing and having another MOM performance.

Protic
May 23, 2007, 02:13 PM
Another? dont you want 3 more?

Sohel
May 23, 2007, 02:26 PM
i pray he doesn't hurt himself... :-|

Tigers_eye
May 23, 2007, 02:41 PM
faruque ekta pagol.
The worst news of the day for me. Liverpool going down in the first half isn't that bad of a news.

Beamer
May 23, 2007, 02:43 PM
Don't do it BCB. He needs the break. We sent him to SA last time in the middle or their winter. Not only he didn't get to play, he hurt himself in the frigid conditions, and missed the SL tour.

Sohel
May 23, 2007, 02:47 PM
ata and faruikka care only about pireshtij... the trouble is, mash wouldn't wanna miss the opportunity himself... :-|

Protic
May 23, 2007, 02:50 PM
:] Well if mash thinks he can cope up with all these games..
He should go and play.. Im sure he's getting atleast 2 Odis if not 3.

Tokai
May 23, 2007, 02:59 PM
Who cares about Afro Asia cup. We need to make sure Mashrafee plays as less games as possible to keep him out of injury. Screw Afro Asia cup and keep him safe.

Protic
May 23, 2007, 03:03 PM
Tokai : dude..most of us feel that way.. "WHO CARES?" Mashrafe does.
He wants to play.. lol..

SS
May 23, 2007, 03:08 PM
There is another thread regarding this topic. Mods please merge this thread.

Protic
May 23, 2007, 03:13 PM
Yeah my thread.. it actually says the same thing. Shoaib dropped , Mash the automatic choice. Please merge.

gatekeeper
May 23, 2007, 03:16 PM
i pray he doesn't hurt himself... :-|

I'm with you pn this one. Don't want his to risk anything for these meaningless games.

Aritro
May 23, 2007, 03:45 PM
If he comes out of these games injured it'll be a disaster.

Hopefully he gets a nasty viral infection on the eve of the first match, misses the whole series, and then joins the Bangladesh team refreshed.

Miraz
May 23, 2007, 03:49 PM
ata and faruikka care only about pireshtij... the trouble is, mash wouldn't wanna miss the opportunity himself... :-|

This ASM Faruque and our chief Selector Faruk are not same person.

ASM Faruque was once manager of Bangladesh national team.

Sohel
May 23, 2007, 04:01 PM
This ASM Faruque and our chief Selector Faruk are not same person.

ASM Faruque was once manager of Bangladesh national team.

thanks... i meant the selector, the one with the awful ODI batting average when he was a player... mistaken identity and a little misplaced jab... heck why not? i don't like faruk the bangla cinemar nayok either, rubs me the wrong way for no good reason... he was ok in shareng bou, noyon-moni and golapi ekhon trene, i guess. ekta kich'hu ko golapi, ekta kich'hu ko-o-o ekhono kane baje...

Anher
May 23, 2007, 04:08 PM
খাল খেটে কুমির আনা ছাড়া এটা আর কিছুনা। ইঞ্জুরিতে না পরে ভালয় ভালয় ফিরে এসে পরলে ভাল।

al Furqaan
May 23, 2007, 06:41 PM
mash should not go for 4 reasons:

1) he could get injured
2) screw india
3) screw pakistan
4) screw lanka

jabbar
May 23, 2007, 07:09 PM
Don't do it BCB. He needs the break. We sent him to SA last time in the middle or their winter. Not only he didn't get to play, he hurt himself in the frigid conditions, and missed the SL tour.

Seriously, if he hurts himself without even playing, then that is clearly not acceptable from an international cricketer. Don't get me wrong, I believe, as most people do, that Mash is a genuine star - but he needs to be able to manage his body and not succumb to injury so easily.

I say he should go to this Afro-Asia thingo and learn from the experience. As good as he is, he is still learning a lot about cricket, as are most of the BD team. He has to also learn to pace himself and not put his body on the line unnecessarily.

ialbd
May 23, 2007, 07:11 PM
Plz Mashrafee dont get injured.....

he really needs a break, he is already fighting a recurring back pain....

zahid
May 23, 2007, 07:33 PM
Can't we send Rasel or Shahdat instead?

series
May 24, 2007, 05:24 AM
Dhaka: Bangladesh pacer Mashrafe bin Mortaza will replace Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar in Asia's squad for next month's Afro-Asia Cup tournament, an official said on Thursday.

"We have picked up Mortaza to replace (Shoaib) Akhtar in the Asia squad," ASM Faruque, a member of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) selection committee said.

Shoaib, who missed Pakistan's World Cup debacle due to injury, was dropped from the squad after failing to recover from the knee problem that has restricted him to one Test and four One-Day International appearances in the last 14 months.

Mortaza becomes Bangladesh's second representative in the 14-member Asian squad after the inclusion of left-arm spinner Mohammad Rafique.

The Asian side has been picked by the ACC selection committee made up of nominees from all four Asian Test-playing nations; India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Sri Lanka's Mahela Jayawardene will captain the side.

The Afro-Asia Cup One-Day matches between combined teams from the Asian and African continents will be played in Bangalore on June 6 and Chennai on June 9 and 10.

Conceived as a fundraiser for the African Cricket Association and the ACC, the inaugural edition in South Africa in 2005 ended 1-1. The series will be preceded by a Twenty20 match in Bangalore on June 5.

shujan
May 24, 2007, 06:19 AM
Mortaza is one of the best in the world. He should be in the final 11.

Surfer
May 24, 2007, 06:26 AM
Thats an interesting development.....congrats mortz and BD fans:clap:

sunny747
May 24, 2007, 06:26 AM
who else is the other fast bowlers in the asian team?

arifur81
May 24, 2007, 06:50 AM
Good news, GO MASH ,GO MASH we are with you

Protic
May 24, 2007, 07:50 AM
Asif,Malinga,Vaas,Mortaza.
So surely Mortazas getting some matches..because other 3 cant bat..vaas is decent though..but Mortaza i guess is the best batsman among them..and he'll do good in Chennai.

By the way.. we have 2 other threads with the same topic.

SS
May 24, 2007, 07:53 AM
Yes, we have other two threads about same topic. Please abide by the forum's rule before openning up a duplicate thread.

al Furqaan
May 24, 2007, 09:36 AM
Can't we send Rasel or Shahdat instead?

no because they are all important...lose rasel, you're back to tapash opening with mashrafee and conceding at least 320 to the opposition in ODIs. lose shahadat, and rasel will be forced to open in tests (which i don't think is terrible, but shahdat is our #2 guy)

no way. we can send tapash or sharif or better yet nazmul.

BonBon
May 24, 2007, 09:45 AM
Go Mortar (err) aza Go..Shell them out!!

SS
May 24, 2007, 10:08 AM
Already mentioned in previous other threads, Mash requires rest. And his health and fitness are more important than anything else.

Warlock
May 24, 2007, 11:11 AM

1) he could get injured
2) screw india
3) screw pakistan
4) screw lanka

Very well put. No further words needed!:)

BanCricFan
May 24, 2007, 11:20 AM

1) he could get injured
2) screw india
3) screw pakistan
4) screw lanka

al-Furqaan, did you get up from the wrong side of the bed? :)

TheWatcher
May 24, 2007, 01:10 PM
From DS -

"Injury is a big concern for Mashrafe but what we believe is that it is an honour to represent a country in such a competition. We will talk with physio before releasing him for the tournament," said chief selector Faruque Ahmed.

Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar was also in favour Mashrafe playing in the tournament. "If the physio gives him the green single, he should play. I think he did not have enough cricket in his career due to injury and should take every opportunity," opined Bashar (:) Bashar spoken like a true hablu. An injury prone cricketer should play less matches, not more, dumb ***)

Sohel
May 24, 2007, 01:18 PM
From DS -

"Injury is a big concern for Mashrafe but what we believe is that it is an honour to represent a country in such a competition. We will talk with physio before releasing him for the tournament," said chief selector Faruque Ahmed.

Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar was also in favour Mashrafe playing in the tournament. "If the physio gives him the green single, he should play. I think he did not have enough cricket in his career due to injury and should take every opportunity," opined Bashar (:) Bashar spoken like a true hablu. An injury prone cricketer should play less matches, not more, dumb ***)

add yet another chapter to the annals of truth... ;) what's a green single bro? the kind that HaBa took during his 88 ball 40-whatevah in the last ODI?... just kidding.

Aritro
May 24, 2007, 01:19 PM
(:) Bashar spoken like a true hablu. An injury prone cricketer should play less matches, not more, dumb ***)

:bravo:

Protic
May 24, 2007, 01:27 PM
MMM Bashar and the Physio gets to decide whether Mashrafe will play or not?
:D What about Mashrafe himself?

scoilaheez
May 25, 2007, 03:30 AM
Mash should play because he also showcases the Bangladeshi talent on the world stage.