PDA

View Full Version : should ireland be given test status

bd_fan_from_india
May 24, 2007, 02:06 AM
i think the icc should give them test status. they have won the inter-continental cup twice in a row and also, ireland has beaten 2 test playing nations in odis this year and beat full-strength zimbabwe and windies in the recent past, so IRELAND MUST APPLY FOR TEST STATUS. the cricketing structure in ireland is better than what kenya had in 2003 and most of the irish players r still young and <25 years. also, ireland have done well in u-19s as well and came very close to beat england and new zealand last time. i cant understand y hasnt ireland applied for test status yet.

Ganguly da
May 24, 2007, 02:16 AM
yup ireland is doing excellent, plus i love their fans!!! they should be given test status...

jabbar
May 24, 2007, 02:40 AM
Eventually, yes. But they still need to develop their domestic competition and grow there player base. It appears there is too much reliance on expatriate players from Australia and South Africa, for example.

Sovik
May 24, 2007, 03:13 AM
they don't have good structure. no domestic league. most of the people are not interested in cricket.

Surfer
May 24, 2007, 03:16 AM
Eventually, yes. But they still need to develop their domestic competition and grow there player base. It appears there is too much reliance on expatriate players from Australia and South Africa, for example.

Correct. Any team will have to play good cricket over a period of time to gain test status. It can not come that cheap.

Yasin
May 24, 2007, 03:36 AM
Dont think so that this is the right time. But yes they should be playing 4 day first class matches with A teams of all the test teams. They are improving but lets give them some more time.

Ganguly da
May 24, 2007, 05:16 AM
can someone tell me what was bangladesh's record before being given the test status?? before putting down IRE.

nzfan
May 24, 2007, 06:25 AM
the difference between Bangladesh and Ireland Ganguly_da is:

1: the population
2: the love for cricket

bd_fan_from_india
May 24, 2007, 07:23 AM
population should not be a problem as ireland has more population than west indies and new zealand. also, there is a love for cricket in ireland and irish supporters r very passionate. they also have their own fan club known as the blarney army.

talking of expats, 5 of irelands main players were born and brought up in ireland - porterfield, obrien bros, morgan & rankin. besides this, some more players like gillespie, mccallan, white, etc r also irish born. only 4 players in the ireland team r non-irish - bray, botha, langford-smith & johnston. this is less than england who have 6 non-england players in strauss, pietersen, panesar, ed joyce, mahmood & bopara.

its beyond understanding that we have had 5 votes saying no from bd fans out here and no bd fan voted for yes despite the fact that ireland beat bd by 74 runs in the wc.

Miraz
May 24, 2007, 07:33 AM
its beyond understanding that we have had 5 votes saying no from bd fans out here and no bd fan voted for yes despite the fact that ireland beat bd by 74 runs in the wc.

Kenya have beaten India, West Indies, Bangladesh (6 times) with their homegrown talents.

Does that mean Kenya should be awarded Test status immediately?

Use some common sense, if your intention is baiting that's different, otherwise I don't see any merit in your post.

Nafi
May 24, 2007, 07:48 AM
No, because other non-test countries deserve it much more

Tigers_eye
May 24, 2007, 08:15 AM
ICC should not make the same mistake that they did with BD. Ireland should have an infra structure setup first before then can play test.

1) facilities, cricket governing body - Intl standards.
2) regional teams playing longer version (4 day cricket) of the game locally minimum of 5 years plan.
3) school cricket competitions which would be the pipeline for U-19 teams, A teams and national teams.
4) sponsorships.
5) cultivate other personnels. a) umpires, b) coaches, c) groundsmen.
6) help from the county cricket teams.

Yes, only then they can sustain the rigor of test playing and have better initial success than BD and compete with others.

But at this point, no.

Sumon77
May 24, 2007, 08:27 AM
Irish players are non professional ...arent they? They had to extend their leave from job when they had to overstay for super 8. How about their back up players? do they have a strong leage? How about school cricket. Have they become champion of ICC trophy yet? may be have to wait a bit longer but they should play play longer version with differnt test nation A team.

Hatebreed
May 24, 2007, 09:21 AM
ICC won't make a mistake by giving them premature test status. This Ireland team is good but I don't think are ready or prepared for long term test cricket. First they must have a proper infrastructure, to produce players for the future, with domestic competitions, support, and profitability to demonstrate good interest in the game. Then ICC can decide what should be done.

Farhad
May 24, 2007, 10:12 AM
I think they should be next in line. Kenya deserve it more, but lets face it - cricket is dying over there and FAST! As soon as theyre given test status, Ireland WILL become cricket-crazy. Its just their culture. Theyre some of the most fun-loving people on earth. Just look at how many Irish went all the way over to West Indies to see their non test playing country play. The ICC should allot some money over to the ICB to help their cricket and infrastructure grow. If all goes well, they should be given test status within the decade. Itll help cricket go global. This elitist attitude we have right now will do absolutely nothing for cricket. Lets face it - Cricket is dying already...

Sohel
May 24, 2007, 10:17 AM
they don't have good structure. no domestic league. most of the people are not interested in cricket.

here we have the simple facts of life guys... WAY too early to ask the question. let's win a few ourselves and have ICC focus on saving zimbabwe cricket first!!!... :timeout:

Tigers_eye
May 24, 2007, 10:18 AM
....Cricket is dying already...
Great news! We will become the WC champs when it dies everywhere except BD.

Ahmed_B
May 24, 2007, 10:32 AM
I have a question to ask amit.........

What makes you think ICC is planning to give Test status to any other country in near future? As far as I heard... they are seriously thinking about whether ZIM should be holding the Test status or not! In that case... ICC is probably on its way to reduce the number to 9! Where does Ireland come into the picture?

Untill Bangladesh becomes a good Test Side... I really doubt ICC will even think about awarding Test Status to any other nation!

akabir77
May 24, 2007, 11:09 AM
let them have 11 IR players in the IR team first then think about giving them test. Without their Australian/engl players they r nothing...

Farhad
May 24, 2007, 11:17 AM
Great news! We will become the WC champs when it dies everywhere except BD.

Except BD, India, Pakistan, SL, Aus...

akabir77
May 24, 2007, 11:18 AM
ICC should not make the same mistake that they did with BD. Ireland should have an infra structure setup first before then can play test.

2) regional teams playing longer version (4 day cricket) of the game locally minimum of 5 years plan.
3) school cricket competitions which would be the pipeline for U-19 teams, A teams and national teams.
4) sponsorships.

Yes, only then they can sustain the rigor of test playing and have better initial success than BD and compete with others.

But at this point, no.

I am not sure ICC did a mistake with BD cause according to your points most of them were ready in BD when they got it.

may be not intl standard but best in *** and close to Intl level. we had intl games going on before getting test status and also success of mini WC which gave the ICC idea that this can be done..

This were we fell short cause our got started for 1/2 years before got the status

This was huge in BD. we had Nirman school cricket from who knows when. We had U-19 with durjoy as captain which beat some big teams (i think it was E-U19)

4) sponsorships.
No problem in Bangladesh

We had the best in *** countries at the time and very close to intl level. We had grounds where test cricket was played (Asia cup SL- PAK) as bangladesh and before bangladesh era. We had BKSP, BANG stadium and Chittagong stadiums ready for any Intl matches
For them yes but for us we had no one but some Old Ind-Pak team coming to play each other time to time but still we had a huge structure in place...
And thats why we took only 5 years to be here where we are now, when else some teams took 16 to 26 years.

Farhad
May 24, 2007, 11:19 AM
The least the ICC should do at the moment is give them some money for their cricket to grow. And maybe kick out Zimbabwe like they did with SA. The ICC is just wasting their money on them...Theyre actually helping Mugabe...

sandpiper
May 24, 2007, 12:31 PM
one correction Miraz bhai,

Kenya have beaten India (twice), West Indies, Srilanka, Zimbabwe (3 times) and Bangladesh (6 times).
Kenya have beaten India, West Indies, Bangladesh (6 times) with their homegrown talents.

Does that mean Kenya should be awarded Test status immediately?

israr
May 24, 2007, 01:17 PM
Pointless thread, there is still a world of a difference between Ireland and even the weakest test nation Zimbabwe, not in terms of standard, but in terms of cricketing culture and background. Firstly, tell those Irish to be less associated with the game of 'soccer', or else all the attempts shall be futile.

Nafi
May 24, 2007, 01:23 PM
Pointless thread, there is still a world of a difference between Ireland and even the weakest test nation Zimbabwe, not in terms of standard, but in terms of cricketing culture and background. Firstly, tell those Irish to be less associated with the game of 'soccer', or else all the attempts shall be futile.

Australia have a competent football team.

Russell2k7
May 24, 2007, 02:02 PM
I have to say yes. They are a pretty good side. This way also Bangladesh gets to play more longer version games. It will actually be good for BD as well. And of course there will be more competition as well in the cricket arena.

ICC might think about shutting down Zim test but I wonder if the case would been different had the team consists of Andy Flower, Grant Flower, A. Campbell, Heath Streak, Balignaut.

With all that being said there could be some issues like sponsorship as the other members said.

Protic
May 24, 2007, 02:20 PM
Simply No :) They are not there yet. Wait for the years coming up.
Bangladesh had an awesome world cup ..in 1999.. What happened after? 45 match losing streak!! Just wait and watch.. I dont think Ireland will beat any big boys before 2011.
Maybe not in 2011 either.

rah
May 24, 2007, 03:22 PM
NOOOOOO WAAAAAAY
da iicc wont want to make da same mistake they did with givng bangladesh test staus to early. anyways kenya deserve it more, werent they betta than this present ireland side bak in 2003. any ways icc shall look to save cricket in zimbabwe first

MohammedC
May 24, 2007, 06:32 PM
no, not enough fan, ground, no firstclass cricket league............list goes on

cleazer
May 24, 2007, 08:49 PM
I think they should be a test team, but they need to wait a few years first.

The first step is to make their players professionals and start paying them.

The good news is that Ireland has quite a few ODI's scheduled for the next few months, so we should be able to see if they can maintain the high level they showed at times during the World Cup.

Sohel
May 24, 2007, 09:04 PM
NOOOOOO WAAAAAAY
da iicc wont want to make da same mistake they did with givng bangladesh test staus to early. anyways kenya deserve it more, werent they betta than this present ireland side bak in 2003. any ways icc shall look to save cricket in zimbabwe first

FYI: i've been to kenya quite a few times and NOBODY plays or cares about cricket there except the gymkhana club elite in nairobi. CK has a pool of less than 50 decent players to choose from for a 16-member ODI side. they hit their peak back in '03 and have been in serious decline since '05. tonmoy mishra is the only decent young player they've produced of late... and he plays a little like our sanwar hossein... the irish have a better shot at fielding a test team if they continue to attract aussie and south african players who can't get into their respective senior sides, before marrying an irish lass and donning that mint green uniform... english players of irish origin, such as the joyce brothers can continue to make them better. the popular interest for the sport, despite their recent world cup success, remains negligible... limericking, soccer, rugby, gallic football, hurling and even cross country running generate significantly more interest in and around the pubs there from what i hear from my irish buddies... ireland's premature induction into the ranks of current test playing nations right now is not an idea that needs to be pondered at this juncture. unless their team's seriously beefed up by quality aussie, south african, and "english" cricketers, they too will become a little too familiar with the morbid facts of perpetual inning defeats. that cannot be good for cricket, especially when bangladesh and the currently depleted zimbabwe side have yet to start winning against better sides. :-D

ialbd
May 24, 2007, 09:22 PM
ar koekta din.......

Bancan
May 24, 2007, 09:59 PM
I have a question. A lot of times people say that Ireland have players from other countries.Isnt there a rule that the player have to be a citizen of the country and live there for a certain time?

akabir77
May 24, 2007, 10:22 PM
I have a question. A lot of times people say that Ireland have players from other countries.Isnt there a rule that the player have to be a citizen of the country and live there for a certain time?

Yes there r. After bangladesh's protest in 97 *** cup ICC changed their rules from any time citizen 2 some time (i think 7 years). but still this doesn't mean these players r groomed in that country and hence you see all these old guys playing for bermuda, IR or some others. Only Holland have mostly home grown player. Remember in 97 ICC *** cup UAE beat us by playing all 11 IND, PAK and SL players.

In current IR ODI team, I think both or one opener(s), botha, the captain and some r from out side IR.

akabir77
May 24, 2007, 10:24 PM
NOOOOOO WAAAAAAY

U have no knowledge about cricket infrastructure or how it works out side india

akabir77
May 24, 2007, 10:26 PM
I have to say yes. They are a pretty good side. This way also Bangladesh gets to play more longer version games. It will actually be good for BD as well. And of course there will be more competition as well in the cricket arena.

ICC might think about shutting down Zim test but I wonder if the case would been different had the team consists of Andy Flower, Grant Flower, A. Campbell, Heath Streak, Balignaut.

With all that being said there could be some issues like sponsorship as the other members said.

TEST is not about how your ODI team plays (beside they have 5/4 players from outside). There more thing involved then just playing good in ODI. Please read what every one else is saying before posting...

Nafi
May 25, 2007, 02:41 AM

nope eg my father was born in BD, hence I can play for BD team

sandpiper
May 25, 2007, 12:36 PM
It was in 1994 ICC trophy, not 97 (Bangladesh remained unbeaten in Kualalampur)
Remember in 97 ICC *** cup UAE beat us by playing all 11 IND, PAK and SL players.

akabir77
May 25, 2007, 01:57 PM
It was in 1994 ICC trophy, not 97 (Bangladesh remained unbeaten in Kualalampur)

my bad! u r rught.. it's 94

Protic
May 25, 2007, 02:17 PM
LOL.. 1997.. How can someone forget?

rah
May 25, 2007, 02:47 PM
U have no knowledge about cricket infrastructure or how it works out side india

easy bruv. im a bangladeshi in london

akabir77
May 25, 2007, 02:54 PM
easy bruv. im a bangladeshi in london

sorry about that please read England instead of India then

rah
May 26, 2007, 07:30 AM
sorry about that please read England instead of India then

:D the system in england as i see it is bad. its nuffing like da ossie one. too mych cricket bein played in england and hardlu anything starting from the grass roots level

damalChele
May 26, 2007, 07:32 AM
yes because we wont be the worst test team anymore

rah
May 26, 2007, 11:35 AM

:lol:

Bearman
May 26, 2007, 06:04 PM
Firstly, whoever said Ireland should become less football obsessed, Ireland is one of the LEAST football obsessed countries in Europe! They have their own Gaelic sports, plus rugby, golf, horse racing etc.

While they have a lot more fans than say, Canada or Holland, they do not have a big enough base to support a Test team yet. they should be built up as a strong ODI team first.

rah
May 27, 2007, 03:41 PM
Firstly, whoever said Ireland should become less football obsessed, Ireland is one of the LEAST football obsessed countries in Europe! They have their own Gaelic sports, plus rugby, golf, horse racing etc.

While they have a lot more fans than say, Canada or Holland, they do not have a big enough base to support a Test team yet. they should be built up as a strong ODI team first.

fank u. some1 finkin sense

Sovik
May 27, 2007, 03:46 PM

you seemed to have a very good reason.

WarWolf
May 30, 2007, 04:18 AM
Ireland is a good team and have plenty of potentials. But the problem is a big portion of their reliable cricketers are from outside Ireland. That means they are not able to produce enough good cricketers and have to rely on outsiders.

I think ICC should watch them very carefully and should take atleast 2/3 years before giving them the test status. I am not against their test status. I just wanna make sure that there won't be any early decision.

Sohel
June 2, 2007, 04:30 AM
it may not be a bad idea for BCB to organize reciprocal ODI and unofficial test match tours with the irish board. good opprtunity for both sides to get better. this can give the likes of junaid siddique, nadif chowdhury, rakibul hasan, forhad reza, dolar mahmud, ziaur rahman, and shafaq al jabir to get their feet wet in both forms of the game... and SN & talha to try and get their center back.

BD-Shardul
June 2, 2007, 04:39 AM
Should be given, BD then will have more test wins.:-D

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 11:28 AM
Should be given, BD then will have more test wins.:-D
and 2 tier system will be perpetual :(

mac
June 3, 2007, 02:47 AM
way too early for them....