PDA

View Full Version : Whatmore and the wilderness years : How Dav Whatmore guided Bangladesh out of the darkness and into the light

Miraz
May 24, 2007, 05:58 AM
Another piece from Utpal Shuvro,
How Dav Whatmore guided Bangladesh out of the darkness and into the light

It was March 10, 2004. (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/BDESH_IN_ZIM/SCORECARDS/BDESH_ZIM_ODI3_10MAR2004.html) Bangladesh had just won a one-day international, beating Zimbabwe by eight wickets in Harare. Whatmore had won the World Cup eight years before - what could this one victory mean to him?
That night I went to interview Whatmore. The excitement I was feeling must have reflected on my face. As soon as he saw me, he asked, "Why are you looking so agitated?" Three hours after the match had ended, I was still unable to shake off the excitement. I told him as much. "But it was just one match that we won," he said.
So how did this change come about? To say it happened with experience is extremely simplistic. Bangladesh currently have the youngest side among all eight Test-playing nations; their cumulative Test experience is probably less than that of one of India's bigger stars. In the past two-odd years there's been such an influx of youth into the team that they've often been compared to an Under-19 team - and ironically, the influx has been from the U-19 team.These days Bangladesh's younger fans (and journalists) get angry if the team's performance dips. I can look at it more calmly; those five years in the wilderness have steadied my emotions. Sometimes when I regard my younger colleagues, I feel that they haven't paid their dues, reporting on defeat after defeat for five years. How can they truly appreciate a victory when they haven't really known defeat?Read full from Cricinfo (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/cricinfomagazine/content/current/story/294545.html)

Luvlee_nik
May 24, 2007, 06:08 AM
1st 2 comMENt

Surfer
May 24, 2007, 06:10 AM
Whatmore is a good coach....

BonBon
May 24, 2007, 07:33 AM
Getting through a strong dislike for the writer Utpol Babu..dhurrrrr

Protic
May 24, 2007, 07:41 AM
Whatmore is good.. but lets see how the indians gain from him..if he's selected as the coach.

Tokai
May 24, 2007, 08:07 AM
Its not eight wickets, its 8 RUNS!!!! Tareq Aziz bowling the last over!

Tigers_eye
May 24, 2007, 08:07 AM
"How can they truly appreciate a victory when they haven't really known defeat?"

1) I do not understand what is he trying to say? Is he asking us to be pessimist and not have hope?

2) Or is he saying we do not know how to appreciate a victory?

3) The title and the last sentence have no colleration.

4) He himself is saying the influx of the U-19 team who has different mentality is taking BD to another level. Why expect them tasting defeat?

I am not sure what he is trying to say. May be putting a good image of Dav to the Indian supporters was his aim. But I think they already know that. They all went through the losing streak with us. The entire world knows that. The notion of striping the test status echoed so many times that they had to know it if they followed cricket.

cricket_dorshok
May 24, 2007, 09:03 AM
"How can they truly appreciate a victory when they haven't really known defeat?"

1) I do not understand what is he trying to say? Is he asking us to be pessimist and not have hope?

4) He himself is saying the influx of the U-19 team who has different mentality is taking BD to another level. Why expect them tasting defeat?

I am not sure what he is trying to say. May be putting a good image of Dav to the Indian supporters was his aim. But I think they already know that. They all went through the losing streak with us. The entire world knows that. The notion of striping the test status echoed so many times that they had to know it if they followed cricket.
He wants us to have the same loser mentality like he and his buddy Bashar have.

gatekeeper
May 24, 2007, 09:33 AM
Good article.

Family grows-father becomes grand-father-children become parents.

betaar
May 24, 2007, 10:02 AM

I think you guys got it all wrong. He’s just talking about the fans and the reporters of the new generation to understand where we have been and where are now and embrace our recent achievements. He definitely supports the new blood in our team that expects nothing but win from each match and he's definitely against the old blood that he called, "comes with baggage of 47 match loosing streak". I know most of his articles are not good, but this one was quite nice. I am sure some of us fans who have been following BD cricket for more then 2 decades can relate to his emotion.

sunny747
May 24, 2007, 10:58 AM
I think you guys got it all wrong. He’s just talking about the fans and the reporters of the new generation to understand where we have been and where are now and embrace our recent achievements. He definitely supports the new blood in our team that expects nothing but win from each match and he's definitely against the old blood that he called, "comes with baggage of 47 match loosing streak". I know most of his articles are not good, but this one was quite nice. I am sure some of us fans who have been following BD cricket for more then 2 decades can relate to his emotion.

exactly my thought. He was reffering to his fellow young reporters.

TheWatcher
May 24, 2007, 12:16 PM
Shuvro himself admits that inclusions of younger players made the difference in the Bangladesh team, performance wise and mentality wise. All the motivational speeches DW gave did not make much of a difference in mentality of our older players (especially in cases of HB, JO, and KM). Talents like Hannan, Nafees Iqbal, and Alok got lost in DW period (Ashraful almost got lost if he did not manage to bounce back everytime he was dropped). So, I don't see how anyone can give DW full credit for taking us out of wilderness (I have no problem giving him partial credit).

Aritro
May 24, 2007, 12:21 PM
Shuvro himself admits that inclusions of younger players made the difference in the Bangladesh team, performance wise and mentality wise. All the motivational speeches DW gave did not make much of a difference in mentality of our older players (especially in cases of HB, JO, and KM). Talents like Hannan, Nafees Iqbal, and Alok got lost in DW period (Ashraful almost got lost if he did not manage to bounce back everytime he was dropped). So, I don't see how anyone can give DW full credit for taking us out of wilderness (I have no problem giving him partial credit).

A spot on post.

I can understand TV commentators who haven't been following Bangladeshi cricket being over-enthusiastic in their praise for Whatmore, but I'd have that Shuvro might have kept some perspective about things.

Partial credit is right. He made some advancements but failed in other areas.

Sohel
May 24, 2007, 12:22 PM
Whatmore is good.. but lets see how the indians gain from him..if he's selected as the coach.

let's see if he survives more than a year first...

Sohel
May 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
good farewell speech for a good coach, beautifully written in places. "learned to steady my emotions" ... pretty... :)

billah
May 24, 2007, 12:35 PM
Looked through the article. Can't find "How Dav Whatmore guided Bangladesh out of the darkness and into the light" statement used here by Miraz.

AsifTheManRahman
May 24, 2007, 12:37 PM
Looked through the article. Can't find "How Dav Whatmore guided Bangladesh out of the darkness and into the light" statement used here by Miraz.

Well there's something of that sort on the cricinfo home page:

<table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="308"><tbody><tr><td width="100">
</td> <td width="3">http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td valign="top" width="198"><!-- Automatically generated - do not edit - code: TODAYSPECIAL1-FEATURES --> http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> Whatmore and the wilderness years
Utpal Shuvro on how Dav Whatmore guided Bangladesh out of the darkness (http://usa.cricinfo.com/cricinfomagazine/content/current/story/294545.html)
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

btw, fatal error in the article: "youngest team <b>among all eight Test-playing nations</b>"

Miraz
May 24, 2007, 12:42 PM

billah, visit an optician (http://www.visionexpress.com/en/index.php?gclid=CLWr_tmsp4wCFQnklAodPUb9zg).

Bhaire baicha gesi.

Arektu hoilei lecture shuru hoito. Thanks ATMR. :D

In fact the title is completely taken from Cricinfo.

http://img.cricinfo.com/cricinfo/section-headings/cimagazine108x20.gif http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif
<!-- END OLD SSI: /navigation/NEWS/HEADERcimag.html --> How Dav Whatmore guided Bangladesh out of the darkness and into the light
Whatmore and the wilderness years
As Bangladesh gear up for their last match under Dav Whatmore, Utpal Shuvro recalls the early days
May 24, 2007

billah
May 24, 2007, 12:44 PM
billah, visit an optician (http://www.visionexpress.com/en/index.php?gclid=CLWr_tmsp4wCFQnklAodPUb9zg).

Bhaire baicha gesi.

Arektu hoilei lecture shuru hoito. Thanks ATMR. :D

In fact the title is completely taken from Cricinfo.

Thanks for the advice. However, it is indeed not in the article.

Miraz
May 24, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. However, it is indeed not in the article.

It's on the top of the article as a heading/title.

cricket_pagol
May 24, 2007, 12:53 PM
Then I bumped into Whatmore. "Our task has just become more difficult," he said. "We now have to win the next two games." I was flabbergasted. Bangladesh had won one match in the past five years and Whatmore was thinking about winning the series?

I think whatmore has the right attitude here, I remember people at BC were hoping for some victories too... But, Utpol Shuvro is flabbergasted to dream big.