PDA

View Full Version : saqib's new name?

al Furqaan
May 24, 2007, 07:45 PM
CI has changed his name on their site...he is know called "shakib al hasan" aka saqibul hasan.

anyone notice his ODI jersey reads "shakib" while mashrafee's says "masrafe"?

do the shirt manufacturers not know their official english spellings (should be on their birth certificate) or do the players really spell it that way?

also i have noticed a peculiar naming convetion:

bangladesh and pakistan give only first names on player jerseys (eg 'shoaib', 'masrafe') except if the first name is mohammad (eg 'ashraful', 'asif', 'hafeez', 'rafique')

also CI uses an initial first, last name convetion for most players on most teams except pak and bd players.

eg. tendy is "SR tendulkar", lara is "BC lara" but inzy is "inzamam ul haq" and bashar is "habibul bashar"

is this all just arbitrary?

Hatebreed
May 24, 2007, 08:09 PM
They should print Bashar's name on his kit as 'Hablu' or 'Haba' or 'Habla'... I'll buy 10 of those and gift it every modon I come across.

Trigger_Tiger
May 24, 2007, 08:09 PM
If I would debut, I would rather like to have Wafi written on the back of my shirt instead of Sattar (which is my last name). Then later I would actually change the spelling to Waughfi (the correct pronunciation).

It all depends on a player actually. But in our country, it used to be the dumb apparel makers who would spell the names in whichever way they liked.

Thankfully that has changed now :)!!!!!

Russell2k7
May 24, 2007, 09:08 PM
They should print Bashar's name on his kit as 'Hablu' or 'Haba' or 'Habla'... I'll buy 10 of those and gift it every modon I come across.

Can you mail me one? I will pay for the shipping.

TheWatcher
May 24, 2007, 09:12 PM
bangladesh and pakistan give only first names on player jerseys (eg 'shoaib', 'masrafe') except if the first name is mohammad (eg 'ashraful', 'asif', 'hafeez', 'rafique')

Incase of HB, he uses 'Bashar' on back of his jersey. Pilot, I also think, uses 'Mashud'.

Sakib's case is confusing, I have seen 'Sakib', 'Shakib', 'Hasan' - all three names back of his jersey.

Hatebreed
May 24, 2007, 09:20 PM

Haha if it become available, then sure.. why not.

cricketlvr
May 24, 2007, 09:34 PM
Incase of HB, he uses 'Bashar' on back of his jersey. Pilot, I also think, uses 'Mashud'.

Sakib's case is confusing, I have seen 'Sakib', 'Shakib', 'Hasan' - all three names back of his jersey.

yeah, i don't understand why there are so many spellings...but bangladeshis pronounce it "sakib"...

by the way...one of the commentators during the first test kept saying "shakib ul hossain"...it was so annoying!

BonBon
May 24, 2007, 09:39 PM
But first -are you a Madan? :-D

Sohel
May 24, 2007, 09:42 PM
ouch...