PDA

View Full Version : Iqbal Brothers Together Soon?

Ahmed_B
May 25, 2007, 03:57 AM
IQBAL BROTHERS BOND
-Anand I Naik, May 24, 2007

CHITTAGONG: It was last September that Nafees Iqbal was sitting after a batting session wondering how he would go about getting his place at the top of the order in the Bangladesh playing XI back.

Just then, a young and talented opening batsman hit a fierce shot that cut through the net and hit Iqbal squarely on the cheek. If not when his bad form began in March 2006, Iqbal was probably convinced that his run of bad luck had begun now.

A surgery followed, then another injury to the ankle and come May 2007, the Bangladesh Cricket Board did not renew 21-year-old’s contract.

In fact, they decided to give it to the same talented batsman who had, accidentally, broken his jaw.

And ironically, Tamim Iqbal, the talented opening left-handed batsman who took India by storm in their World Cup match happens to be Nafees’ younger brother.

Freak injury
“We were supposed to play a club match and Tamim was in the opposite team. We decided to practice together and do some extra training. It was just my bad luck that the ball went through the net and hit me hard on the cheek,” Iqbal told MiD DAY.

Though disappointed at losing his contract, the elder Iqbal is happy that his place among the contracted players went to his brother. “I had recovered completely and was also back to playing cricket and scoring runs.

I thought I would not be picked for the series against India but I had no idea they would not renew my contract. It came as a real shock to me,” Iqbal said.

Happy for Tamim
“It was really disappointing but Tamim was picked and that was a great moment for the entire family. We all love Tamim a lot and always want him to do well. He had done really well in the World Cup and he deserved to get a contract,” he said.

With Tamim, just 18, looking good to play for Bangladesh for a long time to come, Nafees is working hard to realise Tamim’s dream.

“When I was playing for Bangladesh and he was doing well in first-class games, he always used to tell me that his dream was to open the batting for Bangladesh alongside me.

“It is unfortunate that I am not in the team right now. But I am still young and working hard. I am sure I will be back in the national team soon. And Tamim and I will be opening the innings too.”

When Steve was dropped for Mark...

Steve (left) and Mark Waugh

It was a bitter-sweet day for Australia’s Waugh family when Mark Waugh won his Test place.

Mark’s selection for the fourth Test of the 1990-91 series against England, gave the Waugh family reason to rejoice but the sour point was that it arrived at the expense of his twin-brother Steve.
It is known that it was Steve who broke the news to Mark when he came to his parents home and told Mark ‘congratulations, you are in the Test team’.

To that Mark replied: ‘Oh what, the Test team! Great! Who got dropped?’ Then there was silence, before Mark told Steve: ‘Oh, bad luck’.

There was silence again which was broken by Steve who said: ‘Don’t worry about it’.
Story Link (http://www.mid-day.com/sports/international/2007/may/157993.htm)

Sohel
May 25, 2007, 07:01 AM
about time too.

Sohel
May 25, 2007, 07:05 AM
and not a moment too soon.

Nafi
May 25, 2007, 07:07 AM
Either Nafis is very unlucky or Tamim is a genius :lol:

A very ironic story.

Aritro
May 25, 2007, 07:21 AM
I once read a report that suggested Nafis was older than Tamim by 6 years.

Disappointing if true.

tanvir_nus
May 25, 2007, 08:46 AM
he is doing quite well nowadays in the domestic circuit.. but he has to continue or bout 6 months or a year to be back, and perform good

Fazal
May 25, 2007, 09:19 AM
I have nothing against tese two borthers. I want them to be successful. I also hope NI again come back to lime-light with fully loaded.

My only future fear is with two brothers playing for the national team, will their uncle (Akram) and their relative (Faruk) will have enough courage to drop them if they start failing consistently? Or they will drag the issue to the end and thus deny opportunity to other deserving openers?

nightwatchman
May 25, 2007, 10:19 AM
I like come back heroes....Go NI

Aritro
May 25, 2007, 10:22 AM
Using Nafis as a one-day opener might see us use Shariar Nafees as a middle-order batsman. I remain convinced that he's much more likely to realise his potential in that role than as an opener.

mali007
May 25, 2007, 10:26 AM
I am proud for the IQBAL brothers and hope they will open for BD in near future. By the way their father late Iqbal Khan was my coach in 1977-78 while I was playing for his team
KKRC in chittagong 1st division.

TheWatcher
May 26, 2007, 07:22 AM
After today's play, I think the selectors need to give serious thoughts about Iqbal brothers for the next series.

WarWolf
May 26, 2007, 07:24 AM
After today's play, I think the selectors need to give serious thoughts about Iqbal brothers for the next series.

With the current selection panel, I am sure your dream won't be true.

yaseer
May 26, 2007, 07:24 AM

AGREED....

yaseer
May 26, 2007, 07:31 AM
After coming back from injury......Nafis Iqbal is scoring runs in dhaka premiere league(3 half centuries in a row).....and Tamim should be an automatic choice after today's performance.....Tamim also scored 139 from 97 balls in his last league match against Biman

cricket_dorshok
May 26, 2007, 08:17 AM
With the current selection panel, I am sure your dream won't be true.
I think the tenure of current selection will be expired very soon.

Sovik
May 26, 2007, 08:48 AM
i would like to see nafees iqbal playing for national team

Nafi
May 26, 2007, 10:35 AM
I thing Nafis Iqbal should replace bashar's place, and lets see how well he performs in sri lanka series, where he should score atleast a 25 run average with a 50 SR to keep his place on the side.

Rajowana
May 26, 2007, 10:37 AM
I thing Nafis Iqbal should replace bashar's place, and lets see how well he performs in sri lanka series.

Yea that would be good.