PDA

View Full Version : Why the suicidal decision to field first?

Miraz
May 25, 2007, 05:51 AM
With Shahadat out due to illness and Mashrafe struggling with fitness (he is struggling for quite some time), why on earth team management decided to field first after winning the toss?

On a solid batting track with struggling Mashrafe, Syed Rasel and Mohammad Sharif (who is more than ordinary and only playing Test after 5 years), have they thought to bundle out India cheaply?

They should be able to assess the strength better. Who gave them the idea tha this will be fast and bouncy pitch? IMO, this is a batting paradise and no pitch can offer more assistance to the batsmen than this one.

This is a compete blunder. Now India ending the day without losing any wicket and we are getting humiliated in front of the world again. Team management must take the responsibility of the blunder.

This is a shame, we had the opportunity to use the surface first and we stupidly thrown away the initiative and made a mockery out of it.

We failed to grab opportunities true, but that can not justify the over cautious and dim witted decision.

After two days of fielding in this hot and humid Mirpur weather, I don't see batsmen consolidating or giving a good fightback.

This is unacceptable.

BonBon
May 25, 2007, 05:59 AM
Also Habla didnt talk with the pacers before takingthe new ball... He has no idea howa pace bowler feels to ball inthis heat..and prettymuch all our pacers are half cramped.

its a cyclone of negatives from Habla..spiralling towards an ignominious retire but if only he had any shame

Ahmed_B
May 25, 2007, 06:02 AM
[বাংলা]সহজ উত্তর।
ম্যানেজমেন্ট টীম, বাশার, হোয়াটমোর - সবাই মিলে একই ভয়ে কাঁপছেঃ আগে ব্যাটিং নিয়ে যদি ২০০ রানের নীচে অল-অউট হয়ে যায়? মান-সন্মান কি আর থাকবে?! [/বাংলা]
They are simply scared to bat first!! Chickens!! :mad:

Miraz
May 25, 2007, 06:03 AM
[বাংলা]সহজ উত্তর।
ম্যানেজমেন্ট টীম, বাশার, হোয়াটমোর - সবাই মিলে একই ভয়ে কাঁপছেঃ আগে ব্যাটিং নিয়ে যদি ২০০ রানের নীচে অল-অউট হয়ে যায়? মান-সন্মান কি আর থাকবে?! [/বাংলা]
They are simply scared to bat first!! Chickens!! :mad:

In that case we should either suspend our Test status or suspend this management.

If we become afraid to bat first on batting paradise at home, what will happen in New Zealand or Australia?

MohammedC
May 25, 2007, 06:11 AM
Bashar will never learn, He is making all of Bangladesh very angry. Which fool would want to face indian spinners specially Kumble on third or fourth day.
I do not think Haba has brain at all.

BonBon
May 25, 2007, 06:13 AM
Only Mortaza pouring (rather bleeding) his heart out for the game

al Furqaan
May 25, 2007, 06:16 AM
i'm seriously thinking that CTG should pack bashar's idiot self out of the country.

he is moronic beyond belief

Nafi
May 25, 2007, 06:18 AM
For the first time, I believe Hablu has to be stripped of his captaincy in both ODI and Test.

Even his batting position in test should be consolidated.

jawaherul
May 25, 2007, 06:18 AM
This team management is just taking bad , defensive and terrible decisions one after another . I am totally frustrated of them now . Please somebody refrain bashar from captaincy and faruk from selection .

I hope ashraful-akram along with the new coach is going to make a better , more aggressive , more sensible team management .

Sometimes I just wonder whether Dav whatmore is also defensive in nature or he has very little say in making decisions .

Today's decision of fielding 1st and also taking the 2nd new ball ... awful . everybody understandes that these decisions are horribly wrong !!! what happens to the team's think tank ? :sick: :confused:

Timtim
May 25, 2007, 06:20 AM
He probably did not want the indians to chase BD score. You have more chances of drawing when YOU are the one batting the last inning

PoorFan
May 25, 2007, 06:22 AM
<!--StartFragment -->We need pure refreshment of management from TOP to BOTTOM! And yes from next series.

scoilaheez
May 25, 2007, 06:23 AM
Stupid decision, i have usually defended Hablu's decisions. But this one was truly baffling, most of the following days will offer some early assistance to the bowlers and the pitch is going to be tough to bat on day 4 or 5 because the pitch has already shown signs of deteriorating. This match could be very very embarassing if we dont bat very well.

Nafi
May 25, 2007, 06:23 AM
In ATN bangla, hablu said, 'I will be surprised if we manage a draw or even a win in 2nd test series.'

Such huge loser mentality is unbelievable, how could anyone say that even if it was Zim vs Aus in test.

Baundule
May 25, 2007, 06:25 AM
Oh Miraz bhai, nice to see, they finally could succeed to get on your nerves as well ;)

MohammedC
May 25, 2007, 06:26 AM
He probably did not want the indians to chase BD score. You have more chances of drawing when YOU are the one batting the last inning

That is if our batsman can survibe till the 5th day

Nafi
May 25, 2007, 06:26 AM
Miraz please make an article on this

Tintin
May 25, 2007, 06:28 AM
Copy-pasting what I wrote in another forum :

Bashar put India in after winning the toss. It is very difficult to guess the logic behind it. Shahdaat could not play because of fever. Rasel who replaced him cannot be expected to do much after the first hour with the new ball. He went for the medium pacer Mohd Sharif who is making a comeback after six years, instead of Enamul Haque. Razzak is nowhere on the scene.

Since he had picked three seamers, it was obvious that Bashar intended to bowl first. With Mash-Shahadat-Rasel plus Rafique and Saqib, that does make sense. But once Shahadat was out, he should have ditched the 3 seamer plan and used a spinner instead, and prepared to bat first on winning the toss.

Bashar has a reputation for sticking to a plan once he has settled upon it, no matter how the circumstances change. I suppose Bangladesh had decided to go with three seamers and bowl first, and Bashar refused to change it even after Shahadat fell ill in the morning.

BonBon
May 25, 2007, 06:31 AM
BD cricketis getting kuttar lez..never get straightened..I dont think Habla gives a sh** only we fans suffer..

Miraz
May 25, 2007, 06:32 AM
This Test is now reminding me the Sri Lanka test in which Sri Lankan scored centuries at will, and retired without any injury to give others opportunity.

Completely gutted by the happenings.

Luvlee_nik
May 25, 2007, 06:34 AM
i bet hablus hoping for anutha draw to save his sorry @$$

Baundule
May 25, 2007, 06:36 AM

no hope, this time. I expect a horrible innings defeat. only then, we can focus on, if not get rid of the stupid management.

And actually, Bashar is not the only one to blame. My understanding is, he is just a goody boy. His personality as a leader has serious drawbacks. He has no opininon of his own. He just follows the script, written may be, two months back!

Sohel
May 25, 2007, 06:36 AM
déjà vu... will it never end? this match i mean.

Zobair
May 25, 2007, 06:38 AM
Spot on Miraz. If Tintin is right then it is even more pathetic.

Aritro
May 25, 2007, 06:38 AM
The only positive aspect of this match is that it might Bashar just slightly closer to his retirement.

But it won't, will it?

Nafi
May 25, 2007, 06:40 AM
The only positive aspect of this match is that it might Bashar just slightly closer to his retirement.

But it won't, will it?

Inshallah, I would rather lose another series than keep hablu as captain or a batsman in the ODI.

Baundule
May 25, 2007, 06:40 AM

But it won't, will it?

No. This is Bangladesh.

Miraz
May 25, 2007, 06:41 AM
I know, the management will come up with an excuse that they were surprised by the character of the pitch.

Spineless.

Sohel
May 25, 2007, 06:42 AM
yet one must imagine sisyphus happy...

Nafi
May 25, 2007, 06:44 AM
Im gonna make sure my Dad makes a call to Faruq and do a lot yelling if they dont change things.

BD-Shardul
May 25, 2007, 06:53 AM
This is such a decision that makes me cry loudly, believe me. Except Habla, everyone easily understands how Mortaza, Rafiq are feeling. If I were a BD bowler, then I would have surely slapped Habla.Emon chor ditam je Hablar gale shathe shathe agun dhore jeto. Hablamir ekta shima thaka dorker. Thanks to Mortaza, Rafiq for their extreme patience.

If team management does not strip Habla off his captaincy, then fans should start an active Jihad. Even a street cricketer of Bangladesh will produce a better captain then Habla.

Miraj Bhai, Shole NR Bhai please write an article about it. This will be the first step of the JIHAD

BD-Shardul
May 25, 2007, 06:57 AM
Dr_Naf, You need to change your sig. How can BD cricket will set standard for others when their moron captain take such a decision?

Aritro
May 25, 2007, 06:58 AM
Dr_Naf, You need to change your sig. How can BD cricket will set standard for others when their moron captain take such a decision?

We're setting a new standard for idiocy.

BANFAN
May 25, 2007, 07:20 AM
I think we are getting emotional on the issue.

Bangladesh has clear target to draw the test, to pull out a drawn series, lets think, practically, is that a bad result? Not at all, a test series drawn agains india, is definitely a success. Bangladesh feels confident to batout 2.5/3 days with the batting we have. That's what I think is the strategy

Well, that's a negative/too defensive/passive attidute. This will harm the players attitude in the long term, was possibly better to play for a win and then loose. India played this type of negative cricket in early days, they suffered a lot for than and may be still sufferring.

But if BD is doing it for a short time, once or twice initially once they are back to test after long time, might be ok, but if this attitude persists, they will surely loose the ability to win.

At the moment, I only expect very dull cricket in the coming days, like rajin was playing on the last day of ctg test. That will be our game plan for sure. Make no run, but stay there, spoil time.

Aritro
May 25, 2007, 07:24 AM
Never in history have I have ever heard of a decision being taken on Day 1 to produce a draw on Day 5.

Never mind that such a strategy is defeatist and downright cowardly, it's also stupid.

Surfer
May 25, 2007, 07:27 AM
Well, my thoughts:

1. Bashar never believed that BD could win this match. The biggest he could think was a drae....a drawn series with India- an achievement.
2. He believed that big scores are necessary so that time will be consumed and hopes of draw will be high. If India bats another two sessions out tomorrow then BD has three days to see off.

This is just an assumption as I cant think of any other reason for Basher to chose to field.

CricFanBD
May 25, 2007, 07:27 AM
Don't worry guys...Bashar and Golla will make 50 each...BCB will be happy again...Bashar will retain as a Captain for another 1 or 2 years...

nsd3
May 25, 2007, 07:29 AM
Khaiche!!! Sobte khepche.

What will Bashar say in today's briefing to the newsmen...."Kichui bujhinai pitch ta je keno amader help korlo na". Hehe!!:hairpull:

Anher
May 25, 2007, 07:29 AM
Something like that was expected from india after low life moronic decision not to push for a win in 1st test.

Surfer
May 25, 2007, 07:31 AM
Something like that was expected from india after low life moronic decision not to push for a win in 1st test.

Care to explain more in detail?

imroze
May 25, 2007, 07:38 AM
Man i am so angry again with Bashar! Damn i am not finding any good words to describe. I am on crack now so i better not write anything abusive cause this time the mod might delete my account!

urbi
May 25, 2007, 07:43 AM
In ATN bangla, hablu said, 'I will be surprised if we manage a draw or even a win in 2nd test series.'

Such huge loser mentality is unbelievable, how could anyone say that even if it was Zim vs Aus in test.

He is mentally retarded now.

Thats why he choose to bowl first.

zahid
May 25, 2007, 07:44 AM
I see an innings defeat.

SAMURAI
May 25, 2007, 07:44 AM
Bashar's decision to field first reminds me of the great Mir Jafor !!
He is a spineless captain. He is not habla but a "Bissho Behaya" like Ershad !!

BonBon
May 25, 2007, 08:05 AM
I see an innings defeat.

Your wish is on the way of being granted. ...

nightwatchman
May 25, 2007, 08:09 AM
Bashar's captaincy lacked a sense of direction, motivation was hard to come by, and his decision to bowl on a flat deck did absolutely nothing to quell demands from certain quarters that he should retire.
In all, the heat and humidity took its toll on three players - Rasel had to leave the field late in the day - but the manner in which the Indians batted took far more out of Bangladesh.

source crackinfo

MohammedC
May 25, 2007, 08:15 AM
I see an innings defeat.

Not just an innigs defeat I see us getting completely humiliated.

sadi
May 25, 2007, 08:17 AM
Simply pathetic. Whenver I think Haba can't do any worse, he comes up with something more stupid and keeps surprising me. There is a saying in cricket. "If you win the toss, bat first. If you need to think, then think hard and then bat first. If you are really confused, then think a lot and then bat first." Ghada ekta. Totally unacceptable.

BanCricFan
May 25, 2007, 08:18 AM
I see an innings defeat.

WOW! You have spoken like an expert!:-p

MohammedC
May 25, 2007, 08:20 AM
By the way we have new swear word in our family its called "Basher". Specially my nephew who is only 10 cant tolerate when he is called a "Basher" by his Mum if he does something stupid

yaseer
May 25, 2007, 08:21 AM
Which fool would want to face indian spinners specially Kumble on third or fourth day.
I do not think Haba has brain at all.

Ya...only to avoid this...any team will bat if it is not a green top.....see, the ball is already keeping low in the 1st day....with Kumble's wicket to wicket bowling.....he is going to murder us in the 3rd day.

FagunerAgun
May 25, 2007, 08:27 AM
When I read that Gangulay advised Habla stay in the cricket, I understood the ominous time for BD is not over yet. His leadship on the first day of the second test proves how ordinary captain he is. We recognize his past contribution to the team with gratitude and pride.

"Now" is the time to retire.

Sometimes BD management and Faruq are so shiny, sometimes they look so dumb.

SS
May 25, 2007, 08:29 AM
I am speechless. I could not find any word in my pessimistic dictionary.

Tigers_eye
May 25, 2007, 08:30 AM
Care to explain more in detail?
The moronic decision was not to chase (Bd- management).

+++++++++++

Game after game I think this is the lowest /worst decision the captain/managment could make. Game after game I am proven wrong. :mad:

There is something to analyze own's strength and devise strategies/plans and implementing those plans, but not analyzing opponents strength and getting into their trap is foolish and exposes no brain. Kumble didn't get 520+ wickets for nothing. Now you let him operate on the 4th innings of the match?

+++++++++++

This may be a case of pleasing the future boss (hindsight).

++++++++++

Bashar believes we would lose 2-0. With weather on our side we draw the first match. By no means he would let it be 0-0. If not 2-0 then 1-0. Proving his point? Otherwise I can't think what is going on in his head?

shakilc
May 25, 2007, 08:33 AM
I am so pist off of Bashars decision that I am wordless....

He has lost his mind.

BanCricFan
May 25, 2007, 08:37 AM
HAS THERE BEEN A WORSE CAPTAIN THAN BASHAR IN THE HISTORY OF ALL FORMS OF CRICKET- INCLUDING CLUB CRICKET???

This guy is completely spineless. shompurno durbol chitter manush. He almost hero worships oppositions players. Concedes the game even before a ball been bowled. Completely unaware of the potential of players at his disposal. Shomman jonok porajoy -his moto. Prolonging his own career at any cost his goal. How do we quarentine our young, fearless and talented players from his deadly virus???

mali007
May 25, 2007, 08:38 AM
I agree with you. Moreover, Kumble is still recovering from illness. Now he is getting
2 day rest!! He would not have been fit enough to bowl in this hot humid condition. The
pitch will favour the spinners in 4th and 5th day. We don't have but they have Kumble and others. I think India will score around 580 with declaration and the match will be over in tea session of 3rd day!! What a humiliation it would be !!! For this HABLA capt.
and BRAINLESS TEAM MANAGEMENT will be responsible ------- so for good sake of Bangladesh cricket KICK THEM OUT BEFORE SL TOUR .

Fazal
May 25, 2007, 08:38 AM
I didn't watch the game. This morning, when I saw the score I thought India (again) won the toss. But realized BD won the toss and (according to Dav) the Team (consist of who?) decided to field first, even Shahadat was not in the team and Mashrafee is struglling with his fitness. I was also furious.

But now, I am kind of glad. Why?

a) Its a team decision ( as per Dav)
b) The team want to give a farewell gift to Dav in his last game (as BD coach).

So who am I to complain, if the team wants to give Dav a innings defeat as a gift? Assuming Dav is also part of the "team" and he have no problem with that?

At least in the positive side, case against all those clowns will be more established. And hope fully we will see new and capable blood in the system ... i.e. from BCB to slection team to coach to captain to players.

Hatebreed
May 25, 2007, 08:43 AM
I think India will score 600-700 runs, declare by end of tomorrow or the morning after, bowl us out and make us follow on, then bowl us out again. Thereby, ensuring an imminent innings defeat with huge run margin. Nice.

yaseer
May 25, 2007, 08:49 AM
Habibul Bashar, you have done your job....we are proud what you achieved as a captain ....now your time has end...we like to see you as a test batsman........but plese resign as a captain.....after today's radiculus decision to bowl first, if you still want to continue as a captain....you will have to blame yourself to loose all the respect you gain.

khalifa
May 25, 2007, 08:54 AM
It's a nightmarish situation for me, literally....after watching Bashar taking fielding in this perfect batting conditions, I thought that I wouldn't watch a single ball. But then I thought of Mash, and stayed up til 1:30 am...only to see Ind dominating our bowlers...I went to sleep and had this dream (nightmare??) that at the end of the day, Ind are 319 for 0...and then woke up in the morning at 5:30...and saw the end of play....it's the perfect nightmare comes true!!!

tanvir_nus
May 25, 2007, 08:56 AM
i don't get it, how does this guy stay in the team when clearly everyone in Bangladesh ( i have heard a lot of comments trust me from the commons to professionals) clearly detest his defensive, unimaginative, uncreative, just lack of common sense, and worse batting + cricketing sense. It's a miracle guys, it is just a miracle. I am not venting my frustration here. I have been saying it for quite long now. He is just not good enough anymore.

See the phase of bangladeshi cricket

Akram Khan - Associate teams
Khaled Mashud+ Mahmud - Just entering the big league
Bashar- GIant killers + minnow bashers
****NEW CAPTAIN (ASHRAFUL POSSIBLY)***** - let's rub shoulders with the top ranked and look down on others

Tokai
May 25, 2007, 09:02 AM
I think he was thinking, last time they batted first and we drew the test. This time, if they do the same, outcome will be the same. He is too smart to not figure out the connection

SS
May 25, 2007, 09:07 AM
I think he was thinking, last time they batted first and we drew the test. This time, if they do the same, outcome will be the same. He is too smart to not figure out the connection
hehe hehe
and he knows that even if IND bat and declares scoring 600...we will have 2 more days to bat and draw...he thought he will bat each day and then realize there will be only two innings...he thought he is batting in nets.

Zobair
May 25, 2007, 09:12 AM
"Moronic" is indeed the right word to describe this decision to bowl first! On the bright side surely this will hasten the end of Bashar's test captaincy I hope.

BanCricFan
May 25, 2007, 09:15 AM
"Dada said its a bowl-first wicket"- that might be his reply when asked to explain the logic behind his opting to bat first!

Aritro
May 25, 2007, 09:15 AM
HAS THERE BEEN A WORSE CAPTAIN THAN BASHAR IN THE HISTORY OF ALL FORMS OF CRICKET- INCLUDING CLUB CRICKET???

This guy is completely spineless. shompurno durbol chitter manush. He almost hero worships oppositions players. Concedes the game even before a ball been bowled. Completely unaware of the potential of players at his disposal. Shomman jonok porajoy -his moto. Prolonging his own career at any cost his goal. How do we quarentine our young, fearless and talented players from his deadly virus???

Even in junior club cricket, the captain of each team will be selected based on their cricketing brain as well as their ability to lead.

Bashar's selection came about more as a process of elimination, in that he was the least unfit to lead the team out of the seniors players who were in the team at the time. While Pilot is famously disliked, and Rafique's communication skills are lacking, Bashar at least had a positive influence as a mentor figure.

But I've said before on other forums that I've never seen a more naive, tactically bereft and spineless captain at any level of the game from U/12s upwards.

I still stand by that.

SMHasan
May 25, 2007, 09:25 AM
There is a saying in cricket. "If you win the toss, bat first. If you need to think, then think hard and then bat first. If you are really confused, then think a lot and then bat first.".

That was W G Grace who made that comment. He was called 'old grandfather of cricket '.

I am shocked to see we could not get a wicket, but more shocked to see Bahsar and Dave choose to bowl first. I am speechcless and don't know what to comment.

Actually I am being patient here thinking that this management will be gone in the next SL series. At least in the ODI's. We will have a new coach too. Looking forward to that. But the problem is I gotta watch this test match as can't stay away from cricket. But how cna I watch this humiliation? And what can I watch? This run fest?

Like our political leaders we got a dumb and most pathetic captain who is taking us further down. Huge Shame.

MSR-BD
May 25, 2007, 09:31 AM

I want to know whose decision was to take field after winning the toss………I guess captain can’t take it individually……………he just conveyed the wish of the team management………..that must include coach, selectors, captain, vice………..! A bunch of fearful defensive minded guys! And continuation of mind bogging CTG test syndrome!

Only way Bashar can getaway from this blunder is to score heavily in both the innings and save this game from loosing…………….both the scenarios at this point look very remote!!

smashyboy
May 25, 2007, 09:38 AM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvind/content/current/story/295838.html

Whatmore also played a part in it.

Fazal
May 25, 2007, 09:40 AM
We all know it was a bad decision to field first. Now to be fair, who is to blame? Is it bashar himself or Dave, or someone else? Now lest see the facts:

Officially Dav said it was a team decision.

Now the next question is a"Team" consist of whom?

According cricinfo (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvind/content/current/story/295838.html):

"There was also a belief around that it was Whatmore and not Habibul Bashar who was behind the move of fielding first. But Whatmore clarified that and said the decision was taken at a meeting between the captain, the vice-captain, the selectors, and himself.

So to be fair: its Dav, bashar, Ashraful, Faruk, Atahar and Akram's fault.

Rifat_02
May 25, 2007, 09:43 AM
When is Bashar going to retire?
His negative attitude and very low intelligence will bring nothing but more shame to bangladesh cricket. I can't see any hope in this test match, India are going to pile up 700+ runs and then humiliate us in front of the rest of the world. This is so painful to watch.

Rizvi
May 25, 2007, 09:52 AM
DADA doomed us!!

cricket_dorshok
May 25, 2007, 09:54 AM
I hope, Bashar's moronic decision will help us in getting rid of a loser captain.

Aritro
May 25, 2007, 09:57 AM
We all know it was a bad decision to field first. Now to be fair, who is to blame? Is it bashar himself or Dave, or someone else? Now lest see the facts:

According cricinfo (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvind/content/current/story/295838.html):

There wasn't any chance of the selectors taking any action any way, but given this latest insight, we can be quite sure of it now. :doh:

DJ Sahastra
May 25, 2007, 10:07 AM
You guys are out of your mind.

Bashar may have lot of issues but atleast don't bash him for a decision that wasn't his. Atleast not in the major.

The Captain, The Vice-Captain , The Coach and the Selectors took the decision together. It seems poor Hablu is being made the scapegoat.

Also, you guys are being too harsh on the "decision" based on the scoreline. If both Karthik & Jaffer's catches weren't dropped by butter-fingered players, things would've looked many times better than what they look at the end of day-2.

To utilise the early moisture and attack the batting line-up loked like an aggressive intent to me. Didn't you guys complain in the past that Hablu was too defensive?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Kore To Lathi Khaish, Naa Kore To lathi Khaish. Or can someone do the correct translation in Bangla please?

Tigers_eye
May 25, 2007, 10:22 AM
DJ,
Here is some stats for you. Last four test matches we played we won the toss and decided to bat first. In all four occations. Those were against full strength SL and Australian sides.

Matches against SL:
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/SL_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/SL_BDESH_T1_28FEB-04MAR2006.html

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/SL_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/SL_BDESH_T2_08-12MAR2006.html

matches against Aus:
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/AUS_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/AUS_BDESH_T1_09-13APR2006.html

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/AUS_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/AUS_BDESH_T2_16-20APR2006.html

Why then we field against India?

"Kumble is coming kumble is coming" this is all we heard for the second test. Not letting his battered body take a beating on the humid condition we let him rest for two days. And then when he is ready he will have a go at the tired BD squad. What type of genious are managing the cricket team? Did you hear the commentators commenting? They are as baffled as all of us here.

Dav said it was a team decision. What the ....? You are the coach. You should know better than all the moronic BD cricketers. Read the above paragraph.

We need to be hard on bashar. each and every match his decisions becomes worse and that becomes critical for our progress. few years from now onone will remember any of this. They will remember the innings defeat.

Ahmed_B
May 25, 2007, 10:23 AM
Some of you guys are just so very happy putting all the blame on Bashar alone!!:hairpull:

I am seriousl annoyed on Bashar at this moment. But I'm equally surprised to see the number of BC members who believes that Bashar has supreme authority to take major decisions! Well... the truth is, HE DOES NOT! He neither has the confidence nor the personality to claim such a huge authority in Team-decisions.

I am, right now, very very worried about the team's future progress... as I can clearly see that our bunch of 'Think-tank' are practically so very scared of the huge and tough world of cricket. And that includes Faruk/Athar/Bashar... all of Them! Dav is out of the scene already and what his opinions will not matter anymore in BD's cricket future. But these Bashar-Faruk-Athar Trio still remains to be the policy makers of BD cricket... I donno what to expect from them anymore!!

DJ Sahastra
May 25, 2007, 10:30 AM
DJ,
Here is some stats for you. Last four test matches we played we won the toss and decided to bat first. In all four occations. Those were against full strength SL and Australian sides.

Matches against SL:
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/SL_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/SL_BDESH_T1_28FEB-04MAR2006.html

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/SL_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/SL_BDESH_T2_08-12MAR2006.html

matches against Aus:
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/AUS_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/AUS_BDESH_T1_09-13APR2006.html

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/AUS_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/AUS_BDESH_T2_16-20APR2006.html

Why then we field against India?

"Kumble is coming kumble is coming" this is all we heard for the second test. Not letting his battered body take a beating on the humid condition we let him rest for two days. And then when he is ready he will have a go at the tired BD squad. What type of genious are managing the cricket team? Did you hear the commentators commenting? They are as baffled as all of us here.

Dav said it was a team decision. What the ....? You are the coach. You should know better than all the moronic BD cricketers. Read the above paragraph.

We need to be hard on bashar. each and every match his decisions becomes worse and that becomes critical for our progress. few years from now onone will remember any of this. They will remember the innings defeat.

TigerEye,

Fair points. Except, i refuse to judge a decision solely on the outcome of it. Given that what happened in the close room where the Captain, Vice-Captain, Coach and Selectors discussed the pitch, teh team and the strategy is as clear as pretty eyes behind the dark sun-glasses, i would continue to assume that the dcision had some merits to it. That it backfired has lot to do with a) Dropped catches, b) Good Solid Batting by the opponents & c) Very average bowling.

My main point was - why all the stabbing to Bashar alone. As is evident, he is not more than 25% party to the decision of fielding first. How good or bad a captain he is is besides point.

MohammedC
May 25, 2007, 10:31 AM
Some of you guys are just so very happy putting all the blame on Bashar alone!!:hairpull:

I am seriousl annoyed on Bashar at this moment. But I'm equally surprised to see the number of BC members who believes that Bashar has supreme authority to take major decisions! Well... the truth is, HE DOES NOT! He neither has the confidence nor the personality to claim such a huge authority in Team-decisions.

I am, right now, very very worried about the team's future progress... as I can clearly see that our bunch of 'Think-tank' are practically so very scared of the huge and tough world of cricket. And that includes Faruk/Athar/Bashar... all of Them! Dav is out of the scene already and what his opinions will not matter anymore in BD's cricket future. But these Bashar-Faruk-Athar Trio still remains to be the policy makers of BD cricket... I donno what to expect from them anymore!!

If he does not have confidence why is he a captain.:head:

Tigers_eye
May 25, 2007, 10:37 AM
If the dropped catches weren't dropped the score card would say 410/4 at best. heck 410/5 at best. That would finish the game in 3 days for sure. (Not that it won't now.) Too me the dropped catches mean nothing. when the history says we did in a way and got in to positive situations then why change that and make harder on us?

The captain has some freedom. He has some authority to impose on others. He has no control on making decisions on fly.

DJ Sahastra
May 25, 2007, 10:40 AM
"If the dropped catches weren't dropped the score card would say 410/4 at best. heck 410/5 at best. That would finish the game in 3 days for sure. (Not that it won't now.) "

If (and a big if):

If India declares at 410 and match finishes in 3 days, then it will have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the decision to bat first or with Bashar's captaincy.

Tigers_eye
May 25, 2007, 10:45 AM
"If the dropped catches weren't dropped the score card would say 410/4 at best. heck 410/5 at best. That would finish the game in 3 days for sure. (Not that it won't now.) "

If (and a big if):

If India declares at 410 and match finishes in 3 days, then it will have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the decision to bat first or with Bashar's captaincy.
You are missing my point. India wouldn't declare at 410/5. That would have been the first day score if the dropped catch was held. All hypothetical.

If we had a bat first and scored a decent runs in 4 sessions which would be something around 320-350. That would already put pressure on Indian players who would have been out there under the sun for a day and a half. Instead now India would declare something like 500+ and make sure the BD players are drained out. Then bring in the rested Kumble.

We needed to bat first.

DJ Sahastra
May 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
"We needed to bat first."

What if you had batted first and gotten out for, say, 150.

Here is what many fans would say:

"What moronic decision by Bashar. It was clear that the pitch would assist the bowler in the first session and would flatten out as the game progressive. An agrressive strategy would've been to put Indian in first and let Masharafe and Rasel have a go at their batsman. We shot orselves in th foot by opting to bat first in lively conditions. Nijeder Paye Amra Nijera Kural Marlam".

I am not saying the decision to filed first is right. Just saying, being humans, we'll always find something to criticise when things don't look rosy.

Lets say, if Indian had lost Karthik & Jaffer early, Dravid and Sachin would've been under lot of pressure to ensure India doesn't lose any more wickets. That would've made bangla spinners more effective and the scoreline may have read anything from 250/3 to 230/6.

It's all if but quite objective i would say.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Tigers_eye
May 25, 2007, 10:56 AM
"It's all if but quite objective i would say."
150 in this type of pitch would be anything but objective don't you think? Why bother play the game.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

DJ Sahastra
May 25, 2007, 11:03 AM
"150 in this type of pitch would be anything but objective don't you think? Why bother play the game."<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Tigers_Eye,

My comment on "It's all if but quite objective i would say." was for the follwing paragraph:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
"Lets say, if Indian had lost Karthik & Jaffer early, Dravid and Sachin would've been under lot of pressure to ensure India doesn't lose any more wickets. That would've made bangla spinners more effective and the scoreline may have read anything from 250/3 to 230/6. "

The 150 part was to only underline how fans usually react.

cracky
May 25, 2007, 11:30 AM
had the BD batsman batted first and scored only 150, then the blaim would have been on batsmen not on the captain. But yeah, in a pitch like this only morons bowls first. Look at the mathc tread post, many people including me was bashing bashar for this decission as soon as he took the decission, not after we started bowling.

"We needed to bat first."

What if you had batted first and gotten out for, say, 150.

Here is what many fans would say:

"What moronic decision by Bashar. It was clear that the pitch would assist the bowler in the first session and would flatten out as the game progressive. An agrressive strategy would've been to put Indian in first and let Masharafe and Rasel have a go at their batsman. We shot orselves in th foot by opting to bat first in lively conditions. Nijeder Paye Amra Nijera Kural Marlam".

I am not saying the decision to filed first is right. Just saying, being humans, we'll always find something to criticise when things don't look rosy.

Lets say, if Indian had lost Karthik & Jaffer early, Dravid and Sachin would've been under lot of pressure to ensure India doesn't lose any more wickets. That would've made bangla spinners more effective and the scoreline may have read anything from 250/3 to 230/6.

It's all if but quite objective i would say.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

cracky
May 25, 2007, 11:38 AM
even if the decission were taken by the committee, its eventually the captian who is responsoible for his decission, because he should know his team's capability and pitch better than the coach and selectors. I am sure, when Whatmore and Faruk said "we should bowl first today, what you think Bashar?",
Bashar's response was: "Yes Sir, whatever you say."

He just does not have the guts to take any bold decission inside or outside the field.

BANFAN
May 25, 2007, 11:52 AM
This defensive drawing attitude I believe is from Bashar, Athar & Faruk. All are passive people. poor Ash was just a witness as the VC, Dav is leaving, so definitely sellectors and captain are taking over, Dav would not fight with them/push his decision in the last match before leaving. So he basically agreed to what the rest pecimists insisted.

A series draw man !!

If the batsmen bat well, still a draw is possible, they did not make too many runs, just didnt loose wicket, that's the problem.

:o

cricketlvr
May 25, 2007, 11:56 AM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvind/content/current/story/295838.html

Sauron
May 25, 2007, 11:57 AM
Nice pre-emptive strike by Miraz ... or may be he is really learning.

Beamer
May 25, 2007, 12:07 PM
Why? Well, Lets see.

1. No matter what Dav says it is upto the captain really to make the final decision. So, even if it was a team decision to bowl first, majority of the blame must go to the skip despite their effort to spin it the other way. In any case, they are all at fault. With this type of attitude, we won't win any test match in years to come.

2. Overhead conditions, little bit of grass on the pitch, promted them to bowl first! I am thinking that their reasoning behind it is not so much how our pacers would benefit, but rather it zeroes in on our batsmen. They are thinking what if we are out down 30/3 in first hour of session ! Thats a obvious lack of faith in our openers. If that is the case, its a losing cause anyway and get me players who can cope with early movement in the first hour, like it was yesterday. Also, a certain no.3 batsman probably didn't want to come out bat for obvious reasons if the first wkt fell early !

3. I think Tintin said it perfectly. They were dead set on bowling first. Hence the three pacers ( if you count Sharif as one ) regardless of the situation. This pitch will spin later and leaving Enam for Sharif is a bigger blunder. Injury to Shahadat also meant that we should have batted first, go with two pacers and two spinners like in Chittagong.

Dropped catches don't help either specially on a turf as dead as this one. When will we learn to take catches in the slips? Its an art and we have no clue when it comes to slip catching. We need to identify who are our specialist slip catchers first and spend hours correcting their positioning etc. If Sakib is someone they like then fine. Make sure he remains there along with whomever and teach 'em properly. It is an area where we have never imporved. HB in slips? Comfort area must be. Not much running, nothing to do...

Bruce Yardley summed it up perfectly. He thinks we don't know how to play tests. I agree. The learning process in tests is also being hampered by a neagtive/defensive think tank. I blame Dav on that. While our one day thinking is progressive which is yielding positive results, our test thinking is very much non-existent, so we revert to negative/defensive approach as a safety net. Our selectors never played tests and Bashar is as timid as they come. Their mindset also reflects on the batsmen they choose for tests- stop defeat first and worry about winning in the future. You can never win a test match with four batsmen among your top six who are rather subdued and lacking the courage to take it to the opposition. Whats the net result? We still pose around 250 in each innings of a test match. A player who likes to dominate will put pressure on the opposition. Right now that pressure is a one way street, always coming from the opposition and no matter how good your defense/temperament, you will succumb .Giving the scenario that we are facing, it was really up to Dav to teach them how to do it. You must realize that Dav became who he is because of his innovation and consequent success with SL and BD in the ODI set up. He clearly is a good coach for the one day game. But for tests, I am not sure if he is one. He was lucky to have Murali who won him a lot of games.

To sum it up : We will win tests only when we start playing positive. We will lose in the process, sometimes maybe even in horrible fashion, but it will eventually come good, just as it is happening in our one day set up.

cricketlvr
May 25, 2007, 12:09 PM
With Shahadat out due to illness and Mashrafe struggling with fitness (he is struggling for quite some time), why on earth team management decided to field first after winning the toss?

On a solid batting track with struggling Mashrafe, Syed Rasel and Mohammad Sharif (who is more than ordinary and only playing Test after 5 years), have they thought to bundle out India cheaply?

They should be able to assess the strength better. Who gave them the idea tha this will be fast and bouncy pitch? IMO, this is a batting paradise and no pitch can offer more assistance to the batsmen than this one.

This is a compete blunder. Now India ending the day without losing any wicket and we are getting humiliated in front of the world again. Team management must take the responsibility of the blunder.

This is a shame, we had the opportunity to use the surface first and we stupidly thrown away the initiative and made a mockery out of it.

We failed to grab opportunities true, but that can not justify the over cautious and dim witted decision.

After two days of fielding in this hot and humid Mirpur weather, I don't see batsmen consolidating or giving a good fightback.

This is unacceptable.

i don't understand why they were not familiar with the pitch...they played ODIs here, right? and also they should be familiar with the stadiums and pitches in their own country!!!!!

PoorFan
May 25, 2007, 12:10 PM
Why the suicidal decision to field first?

To say it short ... 'lack of total analysis'. Time to time we had wrong decission in a ongoing game, not this time is the first. IMO, in every case ultimate responsibility always belongs to Dav, and next its Bashar. Otherwise whats the point of being a coach and captain if they cant say final word ( on a ongoing game ) over management??

SS
May 25, 2007, 12:15 PM
Slip catche dorte parena, low catch parena...give them some tough lessons they will learn...they are getting lukh takas for doing this.
Stop the funding. and Sir shaheb making 10-15 lukh taka with other incentive....we should stop his Sir's funding too.

PoorFan
May 25, 2007, 12:16 PM
Beamer nicely said.

syzygy
May 25, 2007, 12:32 PM
u will see when bd will bat this pitch will behave havoc, i am looking towards how ishant sharma will fox habla and co.actually except mortaza all were sub standard.they missed their other quickie..whats his name??.he was good.i think bd must get some pacers like mortaza soon if they want to challenge ind who are bettering their averages and creating new records in this series.

layperson
May 25, 2007, 12:41 PM
Bashar's decision to field first reminds me of the great Mir Jafor !!
He is a spineless captain. He is not habla but a "Bissho Behaya" like Ershad !!

If Bashar does not retire from International cricket the moment this test match ends, then I can bet he will give the previous CEC M A Aziz a run for the money for being the most beyaha person living on Earth. HEck I think he is close to M A Aziz right now. Haramjada jodi retire nah kore tahole unake pitay desh er theke ber kore deya dorkar. :mad:

cricket_pagol
May 25, 2007, 12:42 PM

I agree.

Every team makes monumental mistakes like this from time to time... Let's not harp on it too much... let's just move on!!!

Tigers_eye
May 25, 2007, 12:57 PM
Beamer,
Bruce Harley has no clue on BD team. he is just now following BD cricket. In last four home test against SL and Aus we won the toss and decided to bat first. That is not negative play.

This is Dav's last match as a coach. He wanted to "ponddey bash" of BCB. That's the only explanation I can come up with cause the curator had mentioned this was a batting track.

yaseer
May 25, 2007, 01:06 PM

Why Akram?? he has not yet taken his responsibilities....but under bashing already...

anyway...i am not sure whether selectors are involved in making decisions of tosses...may be they are not...

yaseer
May 25, 2007, 01:10 PM
This is Dav's last match as a coach. He wanted to "ponddey bash" of BCB. That's the only explanation I can come up

Tiger's eye bhai, you have a point here.....may be because BCB CEO talked against him

As only DAV came to the press conference....may be it was his decision....our brainless Habla agreed on it...that is why only DAV came in front of press as others were not willing to take the responsibilities.

Protic
May 25, 2007, 01:14 PM
LOL.. you know all the bd batsmen gonna approach like javed omar and rajin saleh when they get to bat..Bashar has imposed " DIE TO DRAW " in their aggresive minds.
Im so waiting for Ashraful to be the captain.

Fazal
May 25, 2007, 01:14 PM
Why Akram?? he has not yet taken his responsibilities....but under bashing already...

anyway...i am not sure whether selectors are involved in making decisions of tosses...may be they are not...

More or less we know it was the wrong decision. Plus the coach said it was a "Team" decision. He also said (as per cricinfo) that the team consists of The coach, Captain, Vice Captain, the Selectors. I thought Akram already taken the role. Now if Akram has not taken the slector's responsibilities yet (as you claim) then Akram is not part of the team that made the wrong decision.

But I fail to see where you see the bashing in my comment. In that particular comment, I didn't bashed anybody, not eben Bashar or Dav.

Sauron
May 25, 2007, 01:15 PM
Beamer,
He wanted to "ponddey bash" of BCB.

:D

Now that may be a worthwhile cause :-p

Mike
May 25, 2007, 01:24 PM

This is unacceptable.

The answer of all of your quarries is Sir (brainless) Bashar. So called most successful captain of Bangladesh who cannot take a simple decision then what the hack he can do?

Unfortunately, you are always blindly biased to Bashar (ref: go back to your couple of month thread/posting about him) and scared to mention his name. However, most posters are blaming Sir brainless Bashar. Similarly, BCB management is biased to this imbecile person.

Ganguly da
May 25, 2007, 01:27 PM
maybe, India can "sportingly" declare now and make the match interesting! :-P

Aritro
May 25, 2007, 01:31 PM
"We knew what the conditions overhead were, but not on the ground," Whatmore said. "We thought there would be a bit more advantage bowling first in the first session but it didn't work out.

Who the bloody hell makes a decision without examining the pitch?

I'm speechless.

Ganguly da
May 25, 2007, 01:34 PM
yup in my book Dav is as much responsible as Bashar..... Coach gets paid to make professional decisions and scrutinize every possible move and steps and other factors like wind factor, weather condition, pitch variation...stuff like these.....something Bob Woolmer was excellent in.... Sorry Dav, Indian selectors would notice this decision and that will play a major factor in hiring you.

sadat_04
May 25, 2007, 01:36 PM
I think we r going overboard with "field first" decision by Bashar as we r not even sure if it was his decision. Read the latest article on Cricinfo and it looks like Dav had more say on this decision than anyone else..who knows..fact is we don't know..Lot of people r bashing Dav w/o the clear knowledge either...it was Dav(not bashar or BCB) who made us believe that we could actually win against major teams...if u want forget those days..fine...
during the match, Athar was defending the decision when Bruce said something about it....I think its a bad decision and its only going to get worse when we play our second innings with indian spinners in action....bad decision by our team....who knows who was involved...i don't have any inside info..so i wont say nothing...
I don't think Bashar should be the captain anymore...i don't know about him being on the test team as a player.. lets see how he does in the next 2 innigs... I think he does not have much faith in the team other than few players.. his decisions are just bad most of the time..
his field setting was quite defensive during the first day.. in test cricket...wickets really matter.. not saving runs....although everyone at BC..keeps talking about his field first decision but there were other things he messed up again...

at the end it came down to missed chances... two clean drops.. bad decision by umpire not give Karthik out when sharif had him...in a flat track with our limited bowling option we had 3 very clear chances.. none of them went our way.. what do u expect ? Although i don't like saying it but it was the missed chances that really hurt us more than the field first decision yesterday.. now that will change after 3rd day...
i am not defending bashar..he's really gotta go....but I think most people r just looking at the score...

yaseer
May 25, 2007, 01:43 PM
"We knew what the conditions overhead were, but not on the ground," Whatmore said. "We thought there would be a bit more advantage bowling first in the first session but it didn't work out.

Who the bloody hell makes a decision without examining the pitch?

I'm speechless.

i also saw it in the news......also speechless too.....

Whatmore is just making himself perfect for India's coach i think.......whatever you do, good or bad, just be in the limelight to get the sponsors...:-D

Aritro
May 25, 2007, 01:44 PM
I think we r going overboard with "field first" decision by Bashar as we r not even sure if it was his decision. Read the latest article on Cricinfo and it looks like Dav had more say on this decision than anyone else..who knows..fact is we don't know..Lot of people r bashing Dav w/o the clear knowledge either...it was Dav(not bashar or BCB) who made us believe that we could actually win against major teams...if u want forget those days..fine...
during the match, Athar was defending the decision when Bruce said something about it....I think its a bad decision and its only going to get worse when we play our second innings with indian spinners in action....bad decision by our team....who knows who was involved...i don't have any inside info..so i wont say nothing...
I don't think Bashar should be the captain anymore...i don't know about him being on the test team as a player.. lets see how he does in the next 2 innigs... I think he does not have much faith in the team other than few players.. his decisions are just bad most of the time..
his field setting was quite defensive during the first day.. in test cricket...wickets really matter.. not saving runs....although everyone at BC..keeps talking about his field first decision but there were other things he messed up again...

at the end it came down to missed chances... two clean drops.. bad decision by umpire not give Karthik out when sharif had him...in a flat track with our limited bowling option we had 3 very clear chances.. none of them went our way.. what do u expect ? Although i don't like saying it but it was the missed chances that really hurt us more than the field first decision yesterday.. now that will change after 3rd day...
i am not defending bashar..he's really gotta go....but I think most people r just looking at the score...

Better catching would have got us a couple of wickets but we all saw how that pitch played. With a depleted bowling attack, we'd have struggled to keep them under 300 one or another.

And after reading that they'd already settled on a decision even before the pitch inspection, I just don't know what to say.

It really doesn't get much more farcical than that.

sar2005
May 26, 2007, 04:07 AM
Why the suicidal decision to field first?
Just to prove our incompitency in think tank once again. Cricket is all not a physical game, you rather need to use your brain quite often. We are again and again proving our lacking in that five letter word 'brain' - no matter it is on the field or off the field. Damn on this think tank for such a decision on their own home ground.

We have seen so far only the first part of the show. 2nd part is 'coming soon' when Kumble and Power will start bowling.

Antora
May 26, 2007, 04:31 AM
coz bashar is the most below IQ'D captain in the history of cricket!!!! i believe ive neva seen a dumber captain lyk him be4!!! seriously if his IQ is over 70 i'll be suprised!!!

Sovik
May 26, 2007, 04:47 AM
i have same question too. whats the reason behind his decision.

Miraz
May 26, 2007, 07:03 AM
And now after two long days of fielding, Bangladeshi batsmen were in a hurry to give some rests to their tired legs.

Jokes aside, IMO, that decision played a big part in todays drama. It's never easy to come into bat after two exhausting day without almost nothing to cheer up, and trailing by 610 runs.

Nothing could be worse than this.

Whatmore in his last Test has brought us back to the same standard when he took the charge.

From media reports it is clear that he played the major role in this decision.

TheWatcher
May 26, 2007, 07:04 AM

Akram is still not part of the selection commitee (he will join them from the 1st June). Faruk and Athahar both denied to be consulted about the toss (Faruk said he came to the stadium one hour after the match started), that means someone is lying. Some Bangladeshi dailies saying it was Whatmore who persuaded Bashar to go for fielding because the curator told him that there will be good bounce and movement from the pitch in the morning session.

My guess - Whatmore wanted to impress his future employers with an adventurous decision. We all know that Bashar does not have a strong enough spine to make this kind of decision on his own.

syzygy
May 26, 2007, 07:06 AM
"It's all if but quite objective i would say."
150 in this type of pitch would be anything but objective don't you think? Why bother play the game.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

now eat ur own words..bd wont get past even 150, if they batted first they would have scored 100..we know that their captain is habla but are the fans habla as well..i wonder/:)

Tigers_eye
May 26, 2007, 07:21 AM
now eat ur own words..bd wont get past even 150, if they batted first they would have scored 100..we know that their captain is habla but are the fans habla as well..i wonder/:)
All knowing syzygy,
There is nothing to eat my words on this one. It is better for you to read the whole thing and understand what I was trying to say. After two days under hot summer fielding this batting collapse was expected. My comment was on DJ's saying 150 in the first innings if we had decided to bat first. Certainly circumstances would have changed if we had elected to bat first. There wouldn't be 410 follow on target for sure.

My suggestion to you is "reading is fundamental."

Sovik
May 26, 2007, 09:01 AM
there was nothing for the bowler and no one would want to face indian spinners on 4th or 5th day. it was a disastrous decision.

Surfer
May 26, 2007, 09:14 AM
Yes, it was a very bad decision.

CricTiger
May 26, 2007, 09:27 AM
The decision of batting 2<SUP>nd</SUP> was pure and simple. It was meant to be. Let’s analyze –
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
From Dave’s point of view
<o:p></o:p>
In the 1<SUP>st</SUP> test Indian’s were not able to practice that much batting and I am in terms of negotiating with the Indians after this Series. Indian’s are having a high morale issue of lately. So, if I can play a role in boosting their morale and asking them for batting first why should not I try? I need to show what I am capable of doing.
Captain’s point of view
I am in the hot sit and needed some time to settle down. I am a proven loyal follower of Dave and his wishes are my commands and I have to maintain this. Winning the toss and asking them to bat would be a nice gift before our coach leaves us for them.
Board’s point of view
If we bat first, may be match will be over within 3 days and by asking them batting first we will have more viewers and more revenue coming from overseas
Supporters’ point of view
We hardly get a day to enjoy and 99.9% time we are in the loosing side mainly in Tests .So, what’s new.
Morale of the Story
To achieve something big you have to dream big. And to dream you have to sleep. So why bother -go back to your sleep –when wake up this suffering will be over

fwullah
May 26, 2007, 11:49 AM
If he does not have confidence why is he a captain.:head:

On another note, why is Ashraful the vice captain? Is he like Bashar?

fwullah
May 26, 2007, 11:58 AM
This defensive drawing attitude I believe is from Bashar, Athar & Faruk. All are passive people. poor Ash was just a witness as the VC, Dav is leaving, so definitely sellectors and captain are taking over, Dav would not fight with them/push his decision in the last match before leaving. So he basically agreed to what the rest pecimists insisted.

A series draw man !!

If the batsmen bat well, still a draw is possible, they did not make too many runs, just didnt loose wicket, that's the problem.

:o

This is a reply to the above post, as well as a 'warning' signal to Indians, if Whatmore is really the next Indian Coach. It is Dav and he alone has the authority in team decisions like this. Faruque and Atahar were never approached on this team decision on what to do if win the toss (according to newspaper reports). Bashar and Ashraful may have given logic during team meeting to bat first, however, they couldn't put enough logic to Dav to influence him to take the decision to bat first. Akram Khan may have been present in the meeting, since its reported that GM Nowsher Prince had resigned from his selection role. And if I know Akram Khan the player, I'd say that he'd be a silent witness if he had actually been present in the team meeting, considering that not over a month has passed for him being part of the selection panel.

ZaKi
May 26, 2007, 12:00 PM
On another note, why is Ashraful the vice captain? Is he like Bashar?
hope, Ashraful is totally opossite of Bashar & Team Management actually tired to make a balance decision by making Ashraful vice-captain... otherwise... bashar will fall in sleep in the field....:smug: